The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 03:55:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 03:55:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Land Spirits and the Like.  (Read 4111 times)
Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm
United States United States

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 17, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »

Alright, it's nearly spring here and I have really been thinking about making an extra effort in reaching out and getting a relationship going with my local land spirits, or whatever name you want to refer to them by.

I was wondering what are some of the ways you get to know them and build up a relationship with them?
What are some of your particularly memorable experiences?
If you do perform offerings for them, what do you find they have a fondness of?

Sorry about the wave of questions! I am just really curious, I've read a bit on the forum, but I want something more to sink my teeth into, perspective-wise.

Thanks in advance  Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juniperberry
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:16:19 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 17, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »

I was wondering what are some of the ways you get to know them and build up a relationship with them?

Initially, I picked a spot out where I thought my landwight migth reside and left my first few offerings there. But...

...one day I was walking back from dropping an offering off and the grapevine by my patio shivered. And I know that sounds silly, but it really came across as meaningful and I was like "Ok, there it is. It wants me to leave the offerings there." It was just one of those UPG senses that the landwight was coming out and communicating with me.

My house and landwight both have a fondness for nuts, fruits, jam. Traditional foods.

Sorry about the wave of questions! I am just really curious, I've read a bit on the forum, but I want something more to sink my teeth into, perspective-wise.

Hopefully someone else can be a bit more descriptive for you then I've been. Wink One more thing, it's an old custom to knock on the ground at spring to wake up the landwight.

Mata
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 06, 2011, 03:12:31 pm

Religion: Still figuring that out.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 20, 2011, 12:09:41 pm »

Initially, I picked a spot out where I thought my landwight migth reside and left my first few offerings there. But...

...one day I was walking back from dropping an offering off and the grapevine by my patio shivered. And I know that sounds silly, but it really came across as meaningful and I was like "Ok, there it is. It wants me to leave the offerings there." It was just one of those UPG senses that the landwight was coming out and communicating with me.

My house and landwight both have a fondness for nuts, fruits, jam. Traditional foods.

Hopefully someone else can be a bit more descriptive for you then I've been. Wink One more thing, it's an old custom to knock on the ground at spring to wake up the landwight.

That is actually just what I was looking for! Thanks Smiley
Accioceroi
Apprentice
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 04:38:35 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Left Hand Path

Celestial delinquent of an androgynous mind.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 02, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »

Alright, it's nearly spring here and I have really been thinking about making an extra effort in reaching out and getting a relationship going with my local land spirits, or whatever name you want to refer to them by.

Myself I usually meditate in the local surroundings opening myself for possible contact. If its nature like setting I bring an offering for the local spirit (my favorite is plant food sticks, nature spirits loves these things more than pennies or other type items). Also if you don't live in a nature like setting there usually was a nature/land/fey spirit there at one time, you can invite them back. But this process is a little more ritualistic and involves you making a "spirit house" (sahn phra phum) for the spirit to reside (Its really fun to have house spirit live with you though).
Just talking to them and acknowledging their existences starts you on the relationship path even if they don't seem to respond right away.

Hope this helps

I am lying on the temple floor, uttering a lullaby of meaningless words, waiting for the snakes in my head to fall asleep.

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 03, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »

I would say take care and start slowly. Not all of them are friendly and some are downright hostile.  Although I've a good relationship with my own local spirits I was once  "chased off" by a very angry spirit in a piece of woodland that had been badly abused by humans.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 04, 2011, 03:49:51 am »

I would say take care and start slowly. Not all of them are friendly and some are downright hostile.  Although I've a good relationship with my own local spirits I was once  "chased off" by a very angry spirit in a piece of woodland that had been badly abused by humans.

Oh yes! I have a river and a waterfall just outside our property, but when I tried to reach out to the spirit of it, I was very firmly told to get away. He didn't need no interaction with no human, no, thankyouverymuch!

Winter Lavender
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 05:55:13 pm

Religion: Suomenusko (The Finnish Pagan Faith)

"Ei savua ilman tulta."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 07, 2011, 08:31:32 pm »

I reach out to the haltija (land spirits) every time I enter the forest, or if I am by the water, in a peaceful field, etc.  I find the forest haltija the easiest to connect with.  As soon as I can feel I enter "their territory" I may silently ask them if its okay if I proceed, but sometimes I already have a welcoming feeling and I know that I am welcome to keep walking.

When I find an area that particularily drawing me towards it, I sit down and try to connect with the spirits by calming myself down and just looking all around me.  I may smile, talk to them, sing to them, play an instrument, or even leave a little offering before I leave.  I find that they really like to just spend time with you and that they appriciate music/singing/poetry/honour/attention more than a physical offering.  Although I feel they do appriciate if you bring them a flower or other plant from your own garden.  When I'm done interacting with them I will thank them for their time and connection with me, and wish them well before I am on my way again.

They are usually very friendly, but I have also run into some bad spirits that just don't want you hanging around.  Respect and a light heart are the most important things to have when you contact these spirits!
Good luck~

~Lavender

I'm here to grow, to learn, and to live an organic life that will forever shimmer and dance through the Universe.

"Embracing the ancient
while trees gently whisper
those intimate
longed-for words
The greet wheel
is still revolving
with untouchable sovereignty
so invulnerable." ~Eluveitie
Saraya.Raven
Last Login:June 04, 2011, 04:11:31 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 04, 2011, 04:11:31 pm »

Gently and with compassion Ask permission to dwell there -either out loud - or with your mind - telepathically.
Wait patiently. Do not rush or be impatient for an answer. They `Feel' your presence, long before you feel or
sense theirs. If they ask you to leave. Leave. Do not argue. Leave an offering. Honey is good and loved and so are YOU. Be happy my friend. When they sense your intentions are good and you wish no harm. They will accept you.
Namaste xoxo
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 14, 2019, 02:54:30 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 05, 2011, 08:00:10 am »

Hi, Saraya.Raven,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 05, 2011, 11:08:34 am »

Alright, it's nearly spring here and I have really been thinking about making an extra effort in reaching out and getting a relationship going with my local land spirits, or whatever name you want to refer to them by. ..

As a Shamanic / Hedgewitch practioner the land Spirits are an important facet of my spirituality and workings.  It is from that and my experiences that I use a differing classification of what those spirits are and how to interact with each grouping.

For me the most detached ffrom humanity are the Elder Spirits of Place.  I've only encountered two of these in my 50+ years of life.  Both were deep in the forest and you knew it when you came upon them.  The very essence of the woods changed as did the animal trails.  You asked permission to enter thier domain then waited to receive it.  If you got it the sense of welcome was overwhelming, if you didn't you turnt quickly and fled.  But these spirits of place are always deep seated in the landscape though they may be earth elementials, water elementials perhaps even air type elementials in places where the winds howl.  Most times they didn't want anything from humans other than to respect the land and its peoples.

There are also Lessor Spirits of place that seem to be connected to the Elder Spirits of place but do not hold the same feel.  Yet I also think at one time they were free-roam spirits that came to simply stay at a given place and take it as thier own.  I've encountered a number of these over the years and they are much more unpredictable in action.  In some ways I believe this due to a knowledge of humanity and even a confrantation with humanity.  They are harder to gain their trust and almost always suspious.  LIke their elder counterparts they too have a strong tie to the landscape and its peoples but they lack the great reach that the Elder Spirits have.  As such I always found them located to powerful waterfalls, deep sinkholes in a river, narrow ravines in the mountains even in semi-restricted sections of coastal areas and marshes.

There are landspirits that one might categorize as the Fae or other similar things.  Spirits that maybe like Water Sprites who rise up from the depths of the ground above subterian water ways.  You know them when you step into a stream way and the air suddenly cools and you smell water or taste it though none is around you.

Then of course the free roam spirits that sort of blow with the prevailing winds.  Not air spirits but that type of feel range and movement of not being bound to a given spot.

For me I make offerings of Tabacco to them all.  I suppose that's the influence of the Native American's upon my way of looking at the land and offerings made to it.  Sometimes I'll make song and chant in an area I "Feel" a spirit to be at and sing it upon the winds to be carried to the Spirit or Spirits in the area.  Almost all the time I speak to them and the land in general as I walk into the deeper woods, follow some stream or creek up into the mountains or down to the seas.

Part is also done in the manner I interact with the land.  If I have to cut tree's down I tell them why and thank them.  I speak to the other people's that will be impacted by it.  Many times even asking the land to show me which to take and what order to take them.  When possible I try to use the refuge to create safe areas for smaller birds and rodents.  But most of it is showing and having respect for the other peoples that we share the earth with.

BUt then again that's just the way I view and interact with the Spirits that surround me on this earthwalk.
Friskin
Apprentice
Last Login:July 13, 2011, 05:02:00 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Northern Tradition Shamanic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 24, 2011, 08:10:32 am »

I treat land wights and house wights the same (spirits of place.) I speak directly to them, and always try to show respect. I often end up directing offerings to spirits of place, ancestors, and any other beings (gods, the good people, etc.) in one respectful buffet style offering.

For example; I have a large fireplace and hearth in my living room, one side of which opens onto a sunroom. The hearth, representing my home, the spirits of the house, my ancestors, etc. and the sunroom allowing in the sunshine/rain/moonlight/snow (general elements and the natural world.) This is my main location for working with spirit.

I combine elements in ritual or offerings by having fire, air, water, and earth present in some form or another. This can be a fire in the fireplace, candles, my feather fan, a bowl of water, herbs, etc. I have a large shell (water element) in which I smudge herbs (fire and earth) and use my fan to direct the smoke (air.) I also tend to lay out runes with intentional meaning as a way to communicate the purpose of the offering.

I recently made an offering of bread and honey (fairly traditional for spirits of place), along with a generous quantity of my best (and most expensive) whiskey. The whiskey may not be the first thing that would jump to mind for an offering, but I wanted to offer something valuable to me, which showed my respect and willingness to give. My wife knows I only bring it out on special occassions, and only share it with the best of friends. She was shocked to see such a large glass of it on the mantle, and knew right away that it was there for a special purpose.

A word of warning: get to know the spirits in your home before working too closely with them. I once had an experience where I smudged a house to get rid of negative energy which had been building up from one of it's occupants (who had recently moved out.) I spoke to the spirits of the house, and explained what I would be doing, and that any spirit who had the best interests of that house and family were welcome to stay, but any malicious spirit, who wished ill of the family or the house had to leave with the negative energy.

I smudged the house top to bottom, saying a blessing as I went. When I got to the basement, I went around the whole room, ending at the old  woodstove in one corner. The people who were with me got a bit freaked out, because when I got to the stove, the pipe began tapping, like someone knocking on the inside, trying to get out. The stove itself was cold, and the pipe lead outside, but was capped off so animals couldn't get in. I banished the negativity and ill will from the house and the tapping stopped.

Remember, not all spirits are friendly, and just because they make contact doesn't necessarily mean they have what's best for you in mind.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.