The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 01:20:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 01:20:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Untangling unwanted energy and patterns  (Read 4628 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 18, 2011, 07:09:16 pm »

At the request of a friend, I've been working on posts on my blog about methods I use to help untangle energy (and I've got a bunch of work planned this weekend about that, in particular, so it's timely.) I thought it might make an interesting topic here, so here's my questions:

- What stuff do you do that helps you untangle stuff that's not working for you anymore?
- Why do you think it helps?
- What *doesn't* help you?
- And if you haven't tried this kind of thing before, what questions do you have for those who do this kind of thing from time to time?

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 18, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »

Following up on my own questions:

I start with 'clean all the things'.
- It's much easier for me to work on the internal stuff if the external world around me is in a state of reasonable tidiness and coherence. (I sometimes refer to this as "I get more Virgo the older I get", but I have learned not to fight it. When I finish this post here, I will go off and clean stuff, put laundry away, and cook dinner.)

- I am included in 'all things'. I am a huge believer in the power of the bath to assist with energetic cleansing. (And eee! I have nifty handmade soaps that arrived extra promptly to play with tonight.) Favorite tools include sea salt, a range of essential oils (used in moderation) and soaps chosen for their physical and energetic cleansing properties. If you are a shower person, there are lots of shower options - everything from hanging a muslin or felt bag of herbs so the water hits it, to using a sea salt scrub or a specially chosen soap bar.

- I do both ongoing and specific prep work around what's bugging me, why it's bugging me, and some stuff I might want to do about it. Divination's part of that, often, but so are journalling, talking to friends, talking to myself, and paying attention to what I keep circling around.

Once I've got a general direction...
I figure out what I want to do for ritual and magical work, and how I want to go about it.

For example, this weekend, I know I want to do some 'clearing out old workings and making space for new ones'. I was really taken by Gordon's post on his blog Rune Soup, about collapsing old workings so they don't interfere. (http://runesoup.com/2010/05/good-spellcasting-means-knowing-when-to-collapse/) I did this a couple of months ago, and I think it's time to do it again - job search in slightly different mode, I have additional ways to approach what I want to do, etc.

But I also know I:
- want to set up some patterns for some new daily practice approaches
- charge the new statue I made
- create some artwork to hang within line of sight of my computer to remind me of the desired outcomes (keeping Gordon's excellent comments on "The Limits of Visualisation" at http://runesoup.com/2011/01/the-limits-of-visualisation-why-you-still-need-magic/ because he makes some excellent and cogent points about that.)
- make some music
- read some stuff that gives my brain new things to work with.
- plus other stuff I haven't figured out yet. Which is why tomorrow is given over to this work without any other plans.

I've got a longer blog post up on my public blog with a lot more specifics about practical ideas/adaptations/resources/tools (it's 2200 words) about the prep work at http://gleewood.org/threshold/2011/02/15/untangling-old-patterns-energy-prep/, and expect to have something about the rest of it sometime tonight or tomorrow. (And I'll drop a link in this thread when it's up.)

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 18, 2011, 10:26:44 pm »

And if you haven't tried this kind of thing before, what questions do you have for those who do this kind of thing from time to time?

(Caveat:  I'm not sure if I'm using the same terminology you are, or even talking about the same kind of energy you are.)

Energetically speaking, I'm most interested in figuring out what's going wrong with the energies in and around my body.  I'm fairly certain that my health problems are largely related to some kind of energy problem.  But I don't know if I'm absorbing too much -- or not enough --  energy from my surroundings, somehow; or if there are energy blocks of some kind in my body; or what. 

So, I guess my first question would be: How do I diagnose an energy problem?  Followed closely by: How do I fix it?

Thanks for starting this thread.  It should be interesting.   Smiley

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 18, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »

(Caveat:  I'm not sure if I'm using the same terminology you are, or even talking about the same kind of energy you are.)

I am totally open to whatever version people want to discuss (though, it helps, if like you did, folks clarify how they mean it.)

What I mean by it is one of those music metaphors: it feels like my melodic theme has gone wandering off without a harmonic grounding and gotten itself tangled in knots. Ice jams on a river. Some stuff moving, but not always what needs to be, or in a way that will lead to wholeness.

Sometimes it's about physical responses to energy - healing, physical well-being, whatever. Sometimes it's about internal perspective. Sometimes it's been about my relationship to the tradition or people in it. A lot of the same basic approaches seem to help whichever it is, at least enough to get to the next tool.

So, onto your question:
So, I guess my first question would be: How do I diagnose an energy problem?  Followed closely by: How do I fix it?

I hope other people chime in on this, but my approach is:

- Clean all the things, or at least me + immediately relevant stuff as much as possible. It makes it easier to see what the problem is. (Good bath or shower with physically and energetically cleansing stuff, maybe aura scraping or cleansing.)

- Feel my way around the body, and see where stuff seems sticky, fuzzy, buzzy, muddy, icky, or whatever other related adjective seems to make sense. (Dark, out of tune, etc. also work for some people.)

- Figure out why it's doing that. Or at least some working hypotheses that can be tested. (Was there a physical injury or illness? Is that area related to a part of the body where there is one? Is it a chakra point or otherwise a major point in some energy system?  Does that suggest anything? What comes to mind when you start thinking of that bit of you?)

There's a bunch of options for trying to fix. There's an argument for using something like Susun Weed's Seven Rivers to Health model (for both physical health stuff and energetic well-being stuff). Begin by embracing emptiness (and rest, and lack of expectation), move into investigating options without panic, and then on from there. (A summary at
http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/January09/healingwise.htm ) I tend to go for the stuff that won't hurt and might help first, before moving to the stuff that takes more exertion/planning/help, which is essentially the same theory.

Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 19, 2011, 01:21:20 am »

- What stuff do you do that helps you untangle stuff that's not working for you anymore?

I take a lesson from my beading: thread is cheaper than frustration. If the knots are too bad I get the scissors out and try to locate where I need to cut.

This takes the form of rephrasing. Literally--I sit down and talk through things out loud and see if phrasing stuff differently provokes any paradigm shifts or revelations that clear up flow or feel more like "right" thought than my previous internal dialog. Actions to clear up blockages usually become obvious once I find myself saying something that needs to be acted on. The appropriate action is almost always destroying something.

I know that, at least for me, hindered energy flow is almost always a sign that there is something "unwanted" somewhere in my life--physically, mentally, emotionally, spirutally--something that doesn't belong as part of me anymore and needs to be removed for the betterment of the whole. It could be an outdated paradigm, a toxic relationship, or even something as simple as a poorly worded catch phrase. (Okay, that last one isn't actually simple at all, and it's one of the most dangerous things that I find messing with my personal energies--but that's a long and rant-laden issue for me, so I won't go into it.)

Meditation. That used to frustrate me when I was first starting out because it got recommended to me a lot and all it ever did for me was make me even more aware of the energy issues with no hint as to what specifically was causing them. Although, the kind of meditation I had been taught focused on suppressing the internal dialog in my head, when what I really needed to do was listen closely to and talk through that dialog. I suppose that doing that in a ritual setting could be seen as a form of meditation, depending on how you look at it, so I think what I really found to be ineffective was the “stillness of the mind” type meditations.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 19, 2011, 06:11:32 am »

Energetically speaking, I'm most interested in figuring out what's going wrong with the energies in and around my body.  I'm fairly certain that my health problems are largely related to some kind of energy problem.  But I don't know if I'm absorbing too much -- or not enough --  energy from my surroundings, somehow; or if there are energy blocks of some kind in my body; or what. 

Interesting thread, I'm curious about the responses and hope to get some new inspirations.

To Aster's body 'question' I can relate a lot. I've working with body energy stuff, but I'm not sure how to lable it: 'body work'? 'energy work'? 'healing'? Untangling is certainly a part of it, but I'm not sure my experiences fully relate to Jenett's topic.

I've started with Taiji Quan and Qi Gong, I percieve problems as places where energy doesn't flow in harmonial/functional patterns (don't know how better to express it). Sometimes this feels like knots or unfunctional swirls, sometimes like leaks, sometimes like complete blockages.

For me there's an 'extern' way to 'untangle' such in trying out different body exercises and looking how they affect the energy flow. Often a problem isn't just an 'energy' problem, but also connected to a body problem and a psychical/emotional problem. One of my more problematic places is the lower back, where I not only percieve pain, but also a complicated energy flow. There's also a psychical problem I don't want to get into here. The right exercise helps with the whole thing.

Another way is 'intern' - concentrating on the intern energy flow. Some body exercises (Taiji/Qi Gong, Yoga) combine extern and intern when doing an exercise meditativly and concentrating on what happens inside. Accompanying music helps me also with the psychical/emotional part there.

Another more 'intern' way for me is doing a spirit travel in inner worlds and looking how the problem presents itsself there. Sometimes this involves 'talk' with soul or personality parts connected to that area. It's not as easy as it may sound. It's often hard to understand what the part I talk with needs or shows me about the problem and it's rarely done with just one journey, it's more like opening communication and starting to have a conscious relationship with that 'part' with regular 'talk'. (Sometimes just opening communication can be hard, because the hurt 'part' can react distrustful.) But my experience is that every tiny bit of understanding in a longer process can have great effects.

Sometimes deities or spirit guides chime in in this work and show me stuff or hand me 'tools'. There's also a longer process of understanding why which guide turns up, what the tool is supposed to do, etc.

Sometimes such travels represent themselves as a scenario where something has to be done. It could be anything, like a dirty house that needs to be cleaned, a river which is disturbed in it's flow by large rocks etc. The work can include solving the problem inside this scenario (cleaning the house, clearing the river....).

That's my experience. I can't claim it to be any general way, I just experiment a lot and keep the stuff that helps. I hope this fits somehow to Jenett's topic.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 19, 2011, 11:59:24 am »

First - am totally happy for topic to wander wherever: this is a "Hey, I was thinking about this, and realised it might make for a neat discussion", not "Jenett is particularly trying to problem solve."

To Aster's body 'question' I can relate a lot. I've working with body energy stuff, but I'm not sure how to lable it: 'body work'? 'energy work'? 'healing'? Untangling is certainly a part of it, but I'm not sure my experiences fully relate to Jenett's topic.

One of the things I find totally fascinating about the topic is .. well, how fuzzy it is around the edges. The body and the mind, the physical and the internal world, etc. etc. are all obviously intertwined, and so affecting one of them can often help adjust the others in useful ways. But at the same time, those connections are not always very obvious.

I know in my own trying to sort this stuff out, I'll get a piece of it, and work on that for a while, and then get stuck for a bit, and then find another loose end, and work that one out for a bit, and get stuck, and so on. (I think I'll also have more about this later tonight or tomorrow: there's some stuff working itself loose in my brain.)

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 19, 2011, 12:47:31 pm »

I know in my own trying to sort this stuff out, I'll get a piece of it, and work on that for a while, and then get stuck for a bit, and then find another loose end, and work that one out for a bit, and get stuck, and so on.
That's similarly with me, thanks for phrasing it so clearly.

I get perceptions, sometimes also symbolic imagenery in meditation or it just pops up otherwise and I feel drawn to it. I work with the images/guides/symbols/exercises, some stuff happens and other 'loose ends' present themselves. It's often confusing because I rarely have the whole picture and often don't know to which loose end appearing images, deities, guides etc. belong or why a specific exercise works so well. Analyzing and sorting doesn't always help, sometimes it's enough just to 'blindly' work with what presents itsself and see what happens next.

It's like detangling yarn. You don't know the knots in the center of the yarn, you detangle those first which you can get hold of otherwise you would make new knots.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 25, 2011, 06:12:28 am »

Well, like you, I clean and de-clutter my house and myself. I like to clean house with a mix of lemon, rosemary and salt ( I believe you suggested that to me last year - I've found it very effective Cheesy). I use a lot of visualisation in ritual work or meditations to untangle myself. Where I felt tied to a person that I no longer wanted a link with I imagined a rope connecting us and then watched it fray till it finally snapped. I had to do this on a few occassions before I felt free but each time I was a little less bound. I found it very effective. With unwanted baggage/ emotions I do two things. One is to visualise myself carrying it around in a back pack and then just putting it down and walking away from it. The other is linked in with something that I often do in meditation. I've found that quite often my consciousness goes into the earth or floats off on the air etc so when I'm coming back to myself I ask that only the elements of myself that I need/ are useful come back to the whole and anything that I no longer need by taken by whichever element I'm working with and be transformed to something useful for that element. Does that make sense? It's kinda tricky to describe. 

I'm not entirely sure why it helps. Having my living environment clean and clutter free makes me feel calm and more able to focus on internal things. I think in the meditations I'm letting
all parts of myself know that I don't need that specific thing anymore and it's time to let it go. That's the closest I can get to why it works. I think there's more to it but I can't put my finger on what. 

Trying to change something to make someone else happy never works for me. I need to be ready in myself. 

- And if you haven't tried this kind of thing before, what questions do you have for those who do this kind of thing from time to time?

I have some unwanted behavioural patterns just now. Particularly my eating patterns. I'm trying to lose weight and I'm really struggling with getting into a pattern of eating regularly instead of forgetting about food until night time. I'd like to try something to change that pattern. Has anyone else tried this sort of thing? How did / would you go about it? Any ideas would be welcome.
Rocquelaire
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2011, 10:55:54 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary Religious Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 25, 2011, 06:37:35 am »

There are a couple of things I can suggest. Like Jennett said, feeling around your energy to see if anything feels wrong in any way. I practice Reiki so if I find something that feels off I direct Reiki (healing energy) to that area. Maybe you could try praying to Brighid and asking her for healing in that area. If it feels like a block then I try to figure out what could be causing it. I think about the associations and symbolism of that area of my body. For example if I have a block in my throat area it might be that I'm holding back something that I need to say. If it's in my hands I may be procrastinating or resisting doing something that I need to do. If I can figure out the reason then I try to take whatever action is required (speaking my mind, doing the job I've been putting off etc) and that will usually remove the block.

There's a chakra cleansing meditation that I do which helps to promote balance of my energy. I visualise a flame burning in my root chakra, cleansing and balancing things. I then move it up through each chakra and the flame changes colour to resonate with each one. When it reaches my crown chakra I feel very cleansed and refreshed. This can also help to bring my attention to blocks as I won't be able to move past a chakra that has a blockage.

Yoga can be very helpful for me too. Feeling how the energy flow changes with each movement is a great way of tuning in to what's going on in my body and I never fail to feel more refreshed and balanced at the end.   

As for picking up external energy, I have a lot of issues with that as I think I may be an empath. I'm very vulnerable to other peoples energy/ emotions. For this I use a shield. I set it so that nothing can get through to me. That's helpful but it can take a lot of energy. When my shield is down or not working properly and something gets through I just pray and ask that whatever is not mine be taken away and that usually helps.

A shield should also help you not to leak you'd own energy out. Another thing I do is to feel about again, looking for a leak. If I find one I try to focus on closing it off and being sealed and self sufficient. And again, I pray for help in closing any leaks and keeping all the energy that I need.

Sorry this post got so long. I hope there's something in there that's helpful to you.
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 11, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »

At the request of a friend, I've been working on posts on my blog about methods I use to help untangle energy (and I've got a bunch of work planned this weekend about that, in particular, so it's timely.) I thought it might make an interesting topic here, so here's my questions:

I like to release energies holisticly, mind , body, spirit, enviorment. First I analyze the energy that is no longer serving my needs, or is becoming a problem. I go into meditation and note everything I can about it.
- What is it doing
- Why do I want to remove it
- what is it's origin, how did it start
- what around me off sets or triggers it's negative reactions
- What are it's characteristics, color, texture, appearance, smell, sound vibration, reaction to cleansing or releasing energies, taste(if one is associated with it), how does it feel intuitively ect.

Collecting these details helps me decide the best way to procede

If it is something that is a natural energy reaction I try to find out how to resolve what is causing the reaction.
If it is an energy blockage I try to find the best way to release it.
If it is a energetic parasite from astral traveling I remove it appropriatly, then send it back to it's realm or to the earth for transformation, then find and repair the weakness that aloud it to enter.

If it is emotional in nature, I do therapuetic art, poetry, writing and other forms of resolving and releasing.
If an energetic cleansing is nessisary I use physacal means such as a bath with salt, vinegar, lemon juice, herbs, crystals, or charged water. While I am taking the bath I do a cleansing meditation.

The method realy depends on what sort of energetic complication I am dealing with.

I think it helps because when I do things holistically I treat myself as a person. I tend to look at these things as imbalances, so information is always key. The more information I have, the more effectively I can restore balance. Since energies react to other energies in certain ways, I can use the knowledge of those reactions to prevent, restore, and balance the energy of myself and my enviorment.

What does not help me is if I have to do this energetic work impromtu. I am skilled at it, but it certainly makes things more difficult. There are more interfering factors to deal with when I am in an enviorment that is destracting or difficult to do energy work in such as a crowded elavator in a polluted city with people who are not psychically clean.

Also the occasional unexpected energy reaction sometimes occurs and that can sometimes create more compications to resolve.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)