The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2017, 06:57:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:57:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Religio Romana  (Read 4818 times)
Castus
Journeyman
Last Login:December 21, 2016, 06:31:29 am
United States United States

Religion: Theism

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 18, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

Does anyone here practice the Religio Romana? I know this is for hellenismos practitioners, but I thought there might be some practitioners of the Religio here as well. I'm feeling drawn towards the Religio now, but I am also reluctant to give up the Sumerian deities of which I have become so fond. I was thinking someone here could help me find a Roman Shamash (possibly Sol Invictus, I am quite fond of him) or some info on the divus'.

Thanks! Smiley

Fides est tamen a impeditio ut Monastica. Filiolus es commodo per vestri factum quod illud factum vadum planto vos notus unto lemma, quod exsisto impleo per vita.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 18, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »

Does anyone here practice the Religio Romana? I know this is for hellenismos practitioners, but I thought there might be some practitioners of the Religio here as well. I'm feeling drawn towards the Religio now, but I am also reluctant to give up the Sumerian deities of which I have become so fond. I was thinking someone here could help me find a Roman Shamash (possibly Sol Invictus, I am quite fond of him) or some info on the divus'.

Thanks! Smiley

There's no reason for you to have to give up your Sumerian contacts. Are you interesting in practicing Roman religion, or worshiping Roman deities? For either, I suggest Nova Roma as a good place to start research.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 17, 2017, 11:53:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 19, 2011, 07:30:59 am »

Does anyone here practice the Religio Romana? I know this is for hellenismos practitioners, but I thought there might be some practitioners of the Religio here as well.
There are a very, very few RR folks on TC, nowhere near enough to justify a RR SIG, so discussions about it have usually landed here in Ta Hiera.  Heliocoptero is the only currently-active RR AFAIK; if he doesn't spot this thread on his own, I'll drop him a PM.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Heliocoptero
Journeyman
Last Login:September 29, 2012, 06:56:54 pm
Portugal Portugal

Religion: Religio Romana

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 19, 2011, 08:41:18 am »

Thanks! Smiley

Cultor deorum here!  Tongue

I see no reason why you shouldn't keep worshiping the Sumerian gods you're close to. I myself moved into the the religio after several years as a heathen and brought Frey with me, so to speak, and He remains firm in my religious life as a Roman pagan, so you can do the same with Sumerian deities, with or without syncretising Them. Take religion as an open thing where there's no limit to the number of gods and no demand for exclusive worship of a single pantheon (unless you take a personal oath!). Romans themselves adopted the foreign cults and included non-Roman deities in their individual or official pantheons: Isis, Serapis, Epona, Cybele (even if the latter was seen as an ancestor of sorts). Unlike what centuries of Christian indoctrination have taught us, religion is not a question of either-or (either this god or that, this pantheon or that).

This can be confusing in terms of identity, so, if it helps, here is something I wrote about it. Ask yourself which community is yours.

And what divus are you interested in?

Helio
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:59:26 pm by SunflowerP, Reason: fixing link code » Logged
Castus
Journeyman

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 22, 2011, 09:24:59 am »

Thanks for this post. I really want to find a way to syncretize Shamah into the Roman pantheon, because I'm considering taking a priesthood initiate program in Nova Roma, I'm not planning on becoming a priest (atleast, not yet), but I want a solid theological base in the Religio. And I'm most interested in the Divus Augustus, but I've also heard tales of Iulian the Blessed being deified, so I'll have to check that out.

Fides est tamen a impeditio ut Monastica. Filiolus es commodo per vestri factum quod illud factum vadum planto vos notus unto lemma, quod exsisto impleo per vita.
Heliocoptero
Journeyman
Portugal Portugal

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 22, 2011, 09:53:06 am »

Thanks for this post. I really want to find a way to syncretize Shamah into the Roman pantheon, because I'm considering taking a priesthood initiate program in Nova Roma, I'm not planning on becoming a priest (atleast, not yet), but I want a solid theological base in the Religio. And I'm most interested in the Divus Augustus, but I've also heard tales of Iulian the Blessed being deified, so I'll have to check that out.

For a theological study, and assuming that people in Nova Roma haven't given you these references yet (they're bound to), I suggest you start with Cicero's Nature of the Gods and Cato's On agriculture. It's not that they are a theological authority - Roman religion was and is, after all, one with no orthodoxy - but they are a window to the beliefs held by at least some in Ancient Rome and include parts of rituals, too (namely Cato's work). You might also want to toss in some introductory works: John Scheid's Introduction to Roman religion, coupled with both volumes of the Religions of Rome by Mary Bead, John North and Simon Price are an excellent starting point.
Castus
Journeyman

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 22, 2011, 10:28:36 am »

For a theological study, and assuming that people in Nova Roma haven't given you these references yet (they're bound to), I suggest you start with Cicero's Nature of the Gods and Cato's On agriculture. It's not that they are a theological authority - Roman religion was and is, after all, one with no orthodoxy - but they are a window to the beliefs held by at least some in Ancient Rome and include parts of rituals, too (namely Cato's work). You might also want to toss in some introductory works: John Scheid's Introduction to Roman religion, coupled with both volumes of the Religions of Rome by Mary Bead, John North and Simon Price are an excellent starting point.

I found Nature of the Gods, but On Agriculture is hard to find, and the others you suggested look good but Amazon is apparently is trying to run an extortion racket. Thanks for the suggestions.

Heliocoptero
Journeyman
Portugal Portugal

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 23, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »

I found Nature of the Gods, but On Agriculture is hard to find, and the others you suggested look good but Amazon is apparently is trying to run an extortion racket. Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't know if I'm adding something you already know, but Cato's Agriculture can be found online here, in both the Latin original and English translation. The same website also has other texts, plus entries on temple that are a useful resource.

As for the other books, yeah, they can be expensive. I suggest you keep a lookout for second hand editions sold through Amazon, as occasionally some very good deals pop up. I bought my John Sheid that way and it arrived very well preserved.

Helio
Castus
Journeyman

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 26, 2011, 06:39:42 pm »

*sigh*

Well, I've been denied membership within Nova Roma due to age. Farewell Camilia Program. I'm going to continue research into the Divus', but I can quit with my research into a Roman Shamash, as I've decided I'm quite comfortable with my current pantheon for the most part.

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 27, 2011, 11:23:47 am »

*sigh*

Well, I've been denied membership within Nova Roma due to age. Farewell Camilia Program. I'm going to continue research into the Divus', but I can quit with my research into a Roman Shamash, as I've decided I'm quite comfortable with my current pantheon for the most part.
I didn't know Nova Roma had an age requirement...?

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: February 27, 2011, 11:36:18 am »

It would surprise me more if they didn't.  Most of these groups wouldn't let minors join due to legal reasons.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: February 27, 2011, 11:47:36 am »

Most ethical religious groups do. Dealing with minor children is a legal problem waiting to happen.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 27, 2011, 11:49:39 am »

Most ethical religious groups do. Dealing with minor children is a legal problem waiting to happen.

That makes sense - I guess because I've been a solitary practitioner for so long I forget to stop and think about group requirements.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Castus
Journeyman

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 27, 2011, 12:59:15 pm »

That makes sense - I guess because I've been a solitary practitioner for so long I forget to stop and think about group requirements.

It's an unfortunate fact of life. I had thought I would just need a parents approval like it was some time ago, but they changed it.

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 27, 2011, 01:07:13 pm »

It's an unfortunate fact of life. I had thought I would just need a parents approval like it was some time ago, but they changed it.

Tough as it is to take, patience is a valuable life lesson.

Brina

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)