The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 07, 2020, 02:36:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 02:36:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: making circles - help needed  (Read 3966 times)
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm
United States United States

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 20, 2011, 11:22:29 am »

I need to make some circles with letters in them. Letters have to be about 140 for font size, preferably Times New Roman, but other font that is equally readable is fine. Circles need to be all the same size, currently shooting for 2.5 inch across. These will be a spelling contest for an archery shoot.

Looking for a fast & easy way to do it. Especially if I have to change font on all of the letters. I'm finding using Open Office Writer to be very finichy and slow. I'm just as likely to move the draw circle as I am to change the font size.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 20, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »

If you don't have Paint on your computer, you could try GIMP. Its like photoshop, but free. It comes with a circle-making tool and you can make the image in layers, so the layer with letters on it never touches the circles, so you can do what you like with it. Once you like the image you can save a compressed version which smushes all the layers together so you can print it.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 20, 2011, 02:02:29 pm »

If you don't have Paint on your computer, you could try GIMP. Its like photoshop, but free. It comes with a circle-making tool and you can make the image in layers, so the layer with letters on it never touches the circles, so you can do what you like with it. Once you like the image you can save a compressed version which smushes all the layers together so you can print it.

I second this, GIMP is an amazing toolset.

Legion.
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 20, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

I need to make some circles with letters in them. Letters have to be about 140 for font size, preferably Times New Roman, but other font that is equally readable is fine. Circles need to be all the same size, currently shooting for 2.5 inch across. These will be a spelling contest for an archery shoot.

Looking for a fast & easy way to do it. Especially if I have to change font on all of the letters. I'm finding using Open Office Writer to be very finichy and slow. I'm just as likely to move the draw circle as I am to change the font size.

I'd do it by hand.  Find a glass or empty jar that is the right diameter, and draw your circles.  Then put the letters in.  But I let the SO do all the paint program stuff.

AntlerandHerb.com
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 20, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »

I'd do it by hand.  Find a glass or empty jar that is the right diameter, and draw your circles.  Then put the letters in.  But I let the SO do all the paint program stuff.

This might be best. GIMP is refusing to produce circles. Ellipses yes, circles no. Measurement in pixels, yes. Something that means something on a piece of paper, no.
erinnightwalker
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 21, 2011, 02:13:44 am »

This might be best. GIMP is refusing to produce circles. Ellipses yes, circles no. Measurement in pixels, yes. Something that means something on a piece of paper, no.

Silly question, perhaps.... Have you looked for bullseye brushes for GIMP? Then you can resize to your desire.

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 21, 2011, 06:21:46 am »

Silly question, perhaps.... Have you looked for bullseye brushes for GIMP? Then you can resize to your desire.

Learning curve. I didn't know that anything called a bullseye brush existed, let alone to look for it. At some point I'll sit down with a friend who has lots of image manipulation software and learn at least one program sort of. Then maybe I can see uses for such software in my life and really learn GIMP or such.

Thanks folks though for the suggestions.
erinnightwalker
Master Member

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 21, 2011, 12:47:39 pm »

Learning curve. I didn't know that anything called a bullseye brush existed, let alone to look for it. At some point I'll sit down with a friend who has lots of image manipulation software and learn at least one program sort of. Then maybe I can see uses for such software in my life and really learn GIMP or such.

Thanks folks though for the suggestions.

Well GIMP can have other brushes downloaded into the program. I'll do some searching and see if I can find a decent one. Then once you select the brush you can resize it with the lefthand options box. I have links to a few tutorials, if you'd like them.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)