The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:03:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:03:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animistic Communication (or, How To Talk To Rocks)  (Read 16203 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: February 18, 2011, 07:16:09 am »

Introductory note:  Split off from a book discussion thread (see link in first quote), where it was major topic drift (as evidenced by how easy it was to lift the posts in this convo out of the original thread without disrupting anything).  While salisem and I are chatting mostly about rocks/stones/crystals in particular, one of the reasons for giving it its own thread is because it was spreading into animistic communication in a more general kind of way.  - Sunflower

So is it even worthwhile to read books about the metaphysical properties of stones?  It seems like it might make more sense to focus on the geology.
Depends.  If you're really good at communicating with them, you might well be able to do just fine bypassing the metaphysical books altogether - but even then, having some idea what stones of that type are generally inclined towards can do a lot to facilitate the convo about what that stone is inclined toward, so I'd recommend some general reading on the metaphysical side.  In this case, I'd say that it might not be worthwhile to buy books about the metaphysical side, but library-borrowing and website-reading can serve you well.

If you're not so good at conversing with rocks - particularly, if you're not so good at listening to them - then the metaphysical books are the best guide you have, since, as Aster says, the geology and the metaphysics don't correlate much.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:02:03 pm by SunflowerP, Reason: adding intro note » Logged

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

salisem
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2011, 11:14:13 am
United States United States

Religion: Slowly finding my path, and having fun doing it. :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 18, 2011, 08:10:18 am »

Depends.  If you're really good at communicating with them, you might well be able to do just fine bypassing the metaphysical books altogether - but even then, having some idea what stones of that type are generally inclined towards can do a lot to facilitate the convo about what that stone is inclined toward, so I'd recommend some general reading on the metaphysical side.  In this case, I'd say that it might not be worthwhile to buy books about the metaphysical side, but library-borrowing and website-reading can serve you well.

If you're not so good at conversing with rocks - particularly, if you're not so good at listening to them - then the metaphysical books are the best guide you have, since, as Aster says, the geology and the metaphysics don't correlate much.

Sunflower

Errr... communicate with the stone?  I think I'm too new at this to really understand how to do that... I cleanse my crystals and try my best to program them, but I don't know where to begin with listening to them.  What's the best way for a beginner to learn that?
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: February 18, 2011, 10:43:24 am »

Errr... communicate with the stone?  I think I'm too new at this to really understand how to do that... I cleanse my crystals and try my best to program them, but I don't know where to begin with listening to them.  What's the best way for a beginner to learn that?
Some people - many people - just can't.  You pretty much have to have an animistic worldview - if you don't see the stone as having, in some way or on some level, a spirit, a self, that can have preferences about what it be used for, and that might in some way be able to convey them, then what I'm talking about is just mystical woo and not relevant to you.  It's not something you can just decide to have; the idea of everything being "alive", having spirit, either makes sense of some kind to you (at minimum, it's a metaphor you can work with), or it doesn't.

If it does... well, "programming" a stone is you conveying info to it; what you're after is the reverse of that.  It's a fairly common recommendation, even among those who aren't really thinking in terms of communication, that the practitioner - you - hold the stone, quiet your mind (meditation-style, but it doesn't require the "empty mind" that people often associate with meditation - as long as there's space in your thoughts for info from outside to come in, not unlike how, if you're talking to another person, you have to have space to take in what they're saying), and see what impressions you get.  At this point you're mostly just learning how to get impressions, so they're likely to be really vague, hard to tell if you really picked up on something or just imagined it, if you get anything at all to begin with.  Keep practicing - not because you will get better with practice, but because you won't get better without it.

Or if it doesn't make enough sense, don't force it or worry about it; it's not an approach that fits for you, so you can ignore it when I go into Talks-To-Rocks mode.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 18, 2011, 11:22:24 am »

Some people - many people - just can't.  You pretty much have to have an animistic worldview - if you don't see the stone as having, in some way or on some level, a spirit, a self, that can have preferences about what it be used for, and that might in some way be able to convey them, then what I'm talking about is just mystical woo and not relevant to you.  It's not something you can just decide to have; the idea of everything being "alive", having spirit, either makes sense of some kind to you (at minimum, it's a metaphor you can work with), or it doesn't.

I very much believe that... I believe that quantum physics basically proves that everything has some sort of spirit or life in it.  (It's fuzzy, but it makes sense in my mind. Wink)

Thanks for the advice.  Continue on in Talk-to-Rocks mode if you've got more.  Wink
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: February 19, 2011, 08:52:35 am »

I very much believe that... I believe that quantum physics basically proves that everything has some sort of spirit or life in it.  (It's fuzzy, but it makes sense in my mind. Wink)

Thanks for the advice.  Continue on in Talk-to-Rocks mode if you've got more.  Wink
I'd say, myself, that that's one interpretation of the implications of quantum physics, rather than that QP proves it (QP is weird and complicated, and any explanations that don't involve a lot of heavy-duty math are incomplete at best and likely to be misleading).  But QP does, indeed, seem to have implications relevant to the animistic worldview.

Since we're not trying to understand QP, just rocks Cheesy, that's nitpicking.

There's really only one bit of advice I left out, and that's that it could be useful to practice talking to other things, too.  Practitioners of <coins phrase> animistic communication aren't necessarily able to communicate similarly well with any- and everything; different folks will have abilities with different things.  (Me, I'm really good with rocks, pretty good with trees [and with fallen branches/sticks, at any rate those that want to become witchy-type tools], get nothing but silly superficial chatter from most bushes [but someone else might well have a very different result], and with smaller plants, especially annuals, all I can do is tell that the communication current is there, I can't connect with it.  That's incomplete, but it gives you the idea.)

Expanding your experimentation to other things is good for getting a better idea of what your abilities are (I'm guessing that stones will likely be a stronger point for you, because of what you said earlier about having always been drawn to them, but that's just a guess), developing a larger "toolbox" of methods, and making more opportunities for you to open your abilities.  The idea of "picking up impressions" comes up in many of the "classic" sorts of neoPaganism, so it's handy to develop even if you don't get as far as you'd like with communication per se; also, I wouldn't be surprised if working on this really helped you with the meditation difficulties you mention elsewhere.

What other things should you try with?  Whatever strikes your fancy.  That sounds a bit fluffy, but there's a fair chance any impulses you have in this line will have some correlation to your abilities.

This is getting to be some serious thread drift, given that it was originally a review thread for a particular book; if you have more questions, we should probably make another thread somewhere else for them (you can put 'em here if you're not sure where that thread should go or what to call it).

Sunflower

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 19, 2011, 10:11:28 am »

This is getting to be some serious thread drift, given that it was originally a review thread for a particular book; if you have more questions, we should probably make another thread somewhere else for them (you can put 'em here if you're not sure where that thread should go or what to call it).

Would you mind starting such a thread?  I don't really feel like I could word the question/topic well enough that others would be able to reply in the same vein as we've been chatting.  Wink
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: February 19, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »

Would you mind starting such a thread?  I don't really feel like I could word the question/topic well enough that others would be able to reply in the same vein as we've been chatting.  Wink
Sure - look for it tomorrow (or possibly the next day); I'm about out of time for today.  I'll probably title it "animistic communication" or something similar, and will likely move some of our convo if I can do it without making this thread confusing; I'm not sure yet just folder it'll be in.

Sunflower

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 19, 2011, 01:22:03 pm »

Great, thanks!!  Smiley
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 21, 2011, 12:11:17 pm »

Great, thanks!!  Smiley
And here it is.

To all:  I see that I didn't quite complete my thought up in the intro note I added to the first post; the convo spread into animistic communication more generally, so this thread is for that, not just rocks.  (Argh, I think I'm out of brain.)

Sunflower

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 21, 2011, 01:39:32 pm »

I believe that quantum physics basically proves that everything has some sort of spirit or life in it.  (It's fuzzy, but it makes sense in my mind.

Beliefs are great, but QP is science (wobbly, ephemeral science, but science nonetheless).  In what way does QP prove that everything has some sort of spirit or life?

Brina
salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 21, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

Beliefs are great, but QP is science (wobbly, ephemeral science, but science nonetheless).  In what way does QP prove that everything has some sort of spirit or life?

Beliefs ARE great.  Wink  Tongue

To me, QP has demonstrated that everything is made of energy, and to me, energy is life force.  Thus everything has some sort of living quality to it.  More so in natural things, much less so in synthetic things - once the natural materials have been processed, *something* happens to the energy that makes it feel different (to me, at least) from the living energy of natural things.  I have no idea what though, nor do I know if science has any info that I can add to my little theory here.

I've tried to read a few books on QP, but failed miserably, so all I know of QP is from others' interpretations of the math.  If someone has a "QP for Dummies" type explanation that could support or refute my idea, I'd love to hear it.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: February 21, 2011, 04:01:09 pm »

To me, QP has demonstrated that everything is made of energy, and to me, energy is life force.

So light is life force? How about radio waves? Or electricity? All of these are energy.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: February 21, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »

So light is life force? How about radio waves? Or electricity? All of these are energy.

heck, DROPPING something would be life force.  Which would also mean, I think, that it would die when it hit the bottom .....

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 22, 2011, 03:36:33 am »

And here it is.

To all:  I see that I didn't quite complete my thought up in the intro note I added to the first post; the convo spread into animistic communication more generally, so this thread is for that, not just rocks.  (Argh, I think I'm out of brain.)

Sunflower
o.k.,what if you talk to things all the time,but....how do you know when they're talking back?
do they communicate like deities tend to? in all formats? or do they actually only have one format,ie. this chatter you mentioned. is it in your head or does it feel more like a sensation of talking?
I hope this isn't too many questions. I'm just really curious. cuz I'm pretty sure I've gotten attitude from several things in the world that never actually SPOKE,but I could just be one of those crazy people who has arguments with machinery that's not cooperating.

salisem
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 22, 2011, 07:36:31 am »

Yup.  Just different from trees or rocks or _____.

I'm not interested in debating the concepts of animism or how science might support or refute those ideas.  I'm interested in... how to talk to rocks.  Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)