The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 07:35:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 07:35:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Terms for the UK Census  (Read 8614 times)
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 25, 2011, 04:07:06 pm »

Introducing an already established umbrella-term as an alternative to sef-identifying with the term 'Pagan' (particularly for those who are less... deity-focused, if you'll excuse my ambiguity) - pros and cons?
That's actually the first I heard of the 'Holistic' thing. What I've seen about the UK census so far was off of here.

http://www.pagandash.org/

In which, pretty much for the sake of statistics, are encouraging pagans to put down 'pagan.' So far, the oppositions I've seen is from those that object to the word pagan, preferring Heathen, or whatever. The other was from those that weren't comfortable revealing their personal religious beliefs without remaining anonymous.

Anyway, paganDASH seeks to solve the umbrella term issue by encouraging those 'x' "other religion, and put 'PAGAN-<your path here> in the census, ex. PAGAN-Druid(Wiccan, Heathen, Polytheist, e.t.c) I wouldn't mind for the sake of statistics. In the Republic of Ireland for example, the amount of pagans is just an assumed fraction of those that answered "other religion", "pantheist," or "not stating" in the 2006 census. As far as which is which, they look towards the active neo-pagan movements, mainly in Ireland Celtic Polytheism, Druidry, Wicca, and The Fellowship of Isis. Apparently there were around 10,000 registered Pagans in Australia's 2001 census, and after a kind of campaign similar to this, put the numbers to about 70,000! 

I'm going to do it anyway. Although there's a Tri-colour here by my name, I live in Northern Ireland. I'm not trying to make a political statement or anything, but since the U.K is a Sovereign State, and not a country, I like placing emphasis on my cultural affinity. Believe it or not, since I'm originally from the States, some of my friends have asked me, "I thought you lived in Ireland, and not England?" because it says Béal Feirste, UK on my Facebook.  Roll Eyes Some people actually do see the Union Jack, and only think of England, not knowing being "British" also means being Scottish, Irish,&Welsh.

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)