The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 27, 2023, 03:50:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 27, 2023, 03:50:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: in re: need to change altar setup  (Read 1947 times)
incognitus696
Last Login:March 29, 2011, 03:26:37 pm
United States United States

Religion: Universal Life Church/ Syncretist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 28, 2011, 10:37:50 pm »

Hey gang. I use a folding table as an altar similar to how it is implemented in African diasporic religions. My table is is 15x wide x 15" long x 25" high.

I need to change my set up because I plan to burn three candles in my next ritual instead of one or two: two round candles with 2.4" diameter x 2.3" high, and one long candle 7" long x 1.5" diameter. Unfortunately, my candle holder can barely hold one round candle. It has similar dimensions to this one Should I buy more candle holders even though I do not know if I will burn more candles at once in the future?

Also, I plan to burn these candles continuously. What is the most thrifty way for me to to safely do so? Note that my entire house is carpeted. Buy a gigantic basin or stainless steel rectangular cake pan?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:June 20, 2022, 04:12:33 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 28, 2011, 11:02:40 pm »

Also, I plan to burn these candles continuously. What is the most thrifty way for me to to safely do so? Note that my entire house is carpeted. Buy a gigantic basin or stainless steel rectangular cake pan?

For general candle use, I use flat pottery trivets (that are smooth/have a stable surface) for multiple candles when they're wide enough to be stable without a holder. (As two of yours: a 1.5" diameter that tall, I would probably want something a bit more secure.)

In terms of long-term burning, one option that can work really well is an old aquarium. It doesn't necessarily have to be totally leak proof: if the leak is high on the sides, you can fill it with a couple of inches of water at the bottom. If the leak is lower down, you can fill it with sand (so that if a candle tips, it'll snuff itself out, etc.) Goodwill or other thrift stores might have one cheap.

The trick of course, is that it's not the best choice for a single use thing: you'll need to store it, etc. later. Depending on the layout, you might be able to use something like a deep punch bowl or other large bowl, as long as the burning candle cannot fall with the flame out of the container.

(So, a 2 inch deep baking dish with water in the bottom doesn't work well for a 7" candle: there are directions the candle can fall where the flame might not go out. A 5" deep bowl with a 4" tall candle is just fine.)

One option some people use - if you can block off either your kitchen sink or your bathtub from pets, small children, and any other people who might need to use the space - is to move lit candles to the sink or bathtub when you leave the house or overnight (or any other time you aren't in a regular line of sight to them.)

Frankly, I don't bother with any of those (small house with limited storage space, cat's litter box is in the bathroom, so I can't shut the door, etc.) If I'm doing an ongoing candle spell, I either design it to run over multiple days (designed so I burn an inch of candle a night, for example, which I can do with some planning while I'm home) or I burn it when I'm home, and snuff it, focusing on holding the intention until it's relit. When I'm home again, I relight it, give the intention a little extra energetic push, and let it burn as long as I can.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 02, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »

I put candles in the bathtub that need to burn out. If you plan to burn candles continuously, I'd invest in one of those large jar candles. Some of them will burn for 100+ hours. Place the candle in the sink when you aren't home, well away from anything burnable.

If you just want candles that will last for a ritual, I'd use tealights or votives. You can pick up cheap holders for votives at craft stores and dollar stores. If you're worried about wax drip on taper candles, you can always put the holder in a pie plate or on a saucer.

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.