The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 01, 2020, 09:56:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 01, 2020, 09:56:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Runes?  (Read 3842 times)
KollaWitch
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 22, 2011, 07:26:23 am
United States United States

Religion: Nil

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 02, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »

Would it be OK to use runes as a divination tool I have both a set of Tarot and runes. I know Tarot is more likely the better choice but I was wondering which would serve as a base better? Plus I plan on getting a pendulum at some point soon.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 02, 2011, 09:01:57 pm »

Would it be OK to use runes as a divination tool I have both a set of Tarot and runes. I know Tarot is more likely the better choice but I was wondering which would serve as a base better? Plus I plan on getting a pendulum at some point soon.

What's the "better choice" really depends on what you know how to use. I have a set of runes, but I never use it, simply because I don't know what I'm doing. But if you're going to learn them, then of course it's OK. Wink Go for what works for you.

KollaWitch
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 02, 2011, 09:22:19 pm »

Good point its just I have been wondering about it a while as well as finding out what element I am so I can meet my spirit guide/animal. Man so much to learn. Over all I like the feeling of tarot cards but runes are more portable in a way.. Meh I dont know.
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 02, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »

Good point its just I have been wondering about it a while as well as finding out what element I am so I can meet my spirit guide/animal. Man so much to learn. Over all I like the feeling of tarot cards but runes are more portable in a way.. Meh I dont know.

Well, if you're looking for portability, what about mini decks? I have several (er, rather, 5...Hello, my name is Stephy, and I'm an addict) of those, roughly business-card sized.

KollaWitch
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 02, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »

I should look into one of them then. Also gives me something to meditate on with portability. I still want to get a pendulum at some point. Well this gives me something to look into if I have some spare cash from my birthday I'll be sure to pick on up. =) Any other tips?
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 02, 2011, 11:05:44 pm »

I should look into one of them then. Also gives me something to meditate on with portability. I still want to get a pendulum at some point. Well this gives me something to look into if I have some spare cash from my birthday I'll be sure to pick on up. =) Any other tips?

If it were me, I would hold the divination tools and see which one resonates with me the most or feels the best.

I have also found that the tools I have for divination have their own "personality". Some are gloomy others are bright and so on. It can effect the type of reading you get depending on what the energy of the divination tool is.

I find that cards work best if you want to look at the whole picture, pendulums for specific questions and dowsing and runes are in between.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 02, 2011, 11:59:29 pm »

As others have said, it depends - but many people use more than one divination system, and there are good reasons for that: different systems and methods often give different kinds of information. (People often find this even with Rider-Waite based Tarot decks: some decks give them better readings for practical issues, others for creative issues or relationships, for example, because the particular art or symbols or colors fit those topics especially well.)

One thing to think about is that different divination systems look at the world in different ways. Runes are particularly so: they're so heavily rooted in a particular culture, climate, and period of time. Of course, the things they represent also have a bearing on the modern world, but it takes time to figure out those connections (we are not all wandering around with herds of oxen as our source of wealth and sign of prosperity, for example.) So, the question with using them is - are you interested in and willing to learn that culture? If you're not, a different divination system might be a better choice.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Raziel
Journeyman
Last Login:March 24, 2011, 09:58:43 pm

Religion: Heretical Syncretist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 03, 2011, 12:29:07 am »

I should look into one of them then. Also gives me something to meditate on with portability.
If you're looking to use Tarot as a meditational tool, then I'd suggest committing their images to memory, to the point where you can recall them at will.  It takes a bit of work but is actually easier than you think. 
As far as runes go... can't help ya there.  I've never felt any real draw to use them. 

It's always easier to hit 'ignore' and run away.....
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: March 03, 2011, 05:01:46 am »

Hi, KollaWitch,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 03, 2011, 08:09:56 am »

I work with both runes and Tarot, and I'd recommend the cards for divination.

There are may good decks that use illustration well to convey the message of the card, rather than just looking pretty. I found that helpful when interpreting the Minor cards - it can spoil the flow having to pull a book off the shelf. The sheer number of the cards results in many permutations and patterns for interpretation, so they will more likely match up to the specifics of the query.

Practically, smaller versions of many decks are available and tarot/rune bags can be bought/made cheaply. For a quick bit of guidance, it doesn't take long to shuffle a deck and draw a single card. Pop a material square into the bag with the deck, and if you want to do a full query spread, just do so on the material.

I suppose I'm a little biased, but having worked with both runes and cards I'd divine with the cards first.

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 03, 2011, 08:14:43 am »

I use many divination methods depending on the need. I use oracle decks (similar to Tarot) when I need to look at the bigger picture or if there are multiple people involved in a situation. I use oracle decks and runes interchangeably when I want to figure out what I need to be focusing on at that time. I use my pendulum for yes or no answers and to find lost items (you have NO IDEA how useful it is for this!).

Of course, this is what I do. I've known others who only use Tarot. Others still who only use runes or pendulums. Find what works for you.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
KollaWitch
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 03, 2011, 03:29:06 pm »

Thanks for A: the reminder about the forum posting. B: for all the tips.

Currently as it sits I pulled two runes of my bag during class today at separate times one was a representation of 'Signs' to watch out for things that might be hints to something. the other was something in the description about emotions and to keep them under control. Both runes were pertaining to a situation I'm dealing with that is actually a fairly long story. So far the runes have a one up on the tarot but as I'm sure I'll end up using both.

I had the unique opportunity to use a pendulum the other day. I was fairly surprised to learn what my true element is. I am born in march so the obvious would be water. However in a toss up between water and air the pendulum told me air. I guess I'm still in a toss up about that with myself. I'm glad my friend let me use it but I would rather have my own at some point to try to work with.

Not to be ignorant to the post about tools having emotions and personalties, If I had a guess about my runes they are seeking in my best interest for the moment. That's about all I can tell given that last two drawing. I seem to recall pulling to unknown (Odin's) rune having blanks on both sides. Piecing it all together I guess its a warning saying to watch out for signs in my emotions that could lead me down an unknown path? However that can be taken two ways. Some path's not taken could be good, others bad.

Alright thanks again all.
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 03, 2011, 05:34:26 pm »

Thanks for A: the reminder about the forum posting. B: for all the tips.

Currently as it sits I pulled two runes of my bag during class today at separate times one was a representation of 'Signs' to watch out for things that might be hints to something. the other was something in the description about emotions and to keep them under control. Both runes were pertaining to a situation I'm dealing with that is actually a fairly long story. So far the runes have a one up on the tarot but as I'm sure I'll end up using both.

I had the unique opportunity to use a pendulum the other day. I was fairly surprised to learn what my true element is. I am born in march so the obvious would be water. However in a toss up between water and air the pendulum told me air. I guess I'm still in a toss up about that with myself. I'm glad my friend let me use it but I would rather have my own at some point to try to work with.

Not to be ignorant to the post about tools having emotions and personalties, If I had a guess about my runes they are seeking in my best interest for the moment. That's about all I can tell given that last two drawing. I seem to recall pulling to unknown (Odin's) rune having blanks on both sides. Piecing it all together I guess its a warning saying to watch out for signs in my emotions that could lead me down an unknown path? However that can be taken two ways. Some path's not taken could be good, others bad.

Alright thanks again all.

Just a guess, but do you have a guide to the runes based on Ralph Blum's guide?

Poppet Maker
KollaWitch
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 03, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »

Just a guess, but do you have a guide to the runes based on Ralph Blum's guide?

You would guess correctly, I have "the book of runes" by Ralph Blum as well as the runes.
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 04, 2011, 06:04:17 pm »

You would guess correctly, I have "the book of runes" by Ralph Blum as well as the runes.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend that book. If I remember correctly again, as I don't have a copy to hand, there is a lot of UPG. I seem to recall a quote along the lines of the whole book being 'thought up during one sleepless night'. Inspired though his UPG may be, it is his gnosis.
Take a look at the Old Norse rune poem for the 24 futhark, if you'd like to work with the 24 runes.

Again, this may be my opinion, but I don't think Odin hung for a blank rune.

Poppet Maker

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)