The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 02:01:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 02:01:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Foreign Gods  (Read 2420 times)
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 05, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »

Does anyone incorporate foreign gods into their practice?

To paraphrase Walter Burkert, polytheism is an open system, and the traditions that define which cults are acceptable are called into question by every contact with foreigners. The Greek pantheon is not fixed and immutable, and the idea of an established pantheon comes more from epic art than it does religious tradition. Foreign infiltrations were checked for a time after Greek civilization began to grow from the middle of the seventh century BCE onwards, but in no period did they cease entirely (Greek Religion 1985, page 176).

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Valex
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 12:50:26 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 06, 2011, 12:58:48 am »

Does anyone incorporate foreign gods into their practice?.

I do not yet. But I'm open to do so if the occasion should arise. Besides, the Greek gods are already foreign to me considering I'm not Greek xD

"Christianity gave Eros poison to drink: he did not die of it but degenerated - into vice." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: March 06, 2011, 06:34:45 am »

I don't, but I haven't actively excluded them either, I guess.  I've just never felt any call or any need to do so.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and all that.  Wink

If I were in a situation where I felt I might need to honor a foreign deity, what I'd do about it would probably depend on the deity in question.  If it were a deity from a pantheon with a history of syncretism with the Greek pantheon, I'd probably look into that.  If not, I'd be more likely to investigate what their native culture did to honor them than to try to force them into a Hellenic framework.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2017, 08:40:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 06, 2011, 08:04:38 am »

Not as a normal part of my practice. But I'm not adverse to honoring other deities when I'm with friends who do.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Arynn
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:56:41 pm

Religion: ADF Dedicant; Follower of Persephone

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 07, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

Not as a normal part of my practice. But I'm not adverse to honoring other deities when I'm with friends who do.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I have a very close friend who is Kemetic, so I often honor the Egyptian Gods when I'm around her/she's doing ritual, etc. I once got a very strong feeling from her Patron, Anpu (Anubis), not really any sort of call to me specifically, more of a "I'm here and I'm protecting your friend" sort of feeling. I used to bring Him flowers when she and I lived in the same dorm building, sort of as a thank you for watching over her. Now we live separately, so I don't get to do that anymore, but I do honor Him and the other Egyptian Gods when I'm with her. Other than that, I stick to my own Pantheon normally. I haven't gotten any indications of other Pantheons/Deities looking to me/trying to communicate with me. I try to keep an open mind, though.

~Arynn~

"...Read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body."
ó Walt Whitman

General spiritual blog: http://greetingnewlight.wordpress.com/

ADF Dedicant blog: http://walkingthehighroad.wordpress.com/
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 07, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »

If I were in a situation where I felt I might need to honor a foreign deity, what I'd do about it would probably depend on the deity in question.  If it were a deity from a pantheon with a history of syncretism with the Greek pantheon, I'd probably look into that.  If not, I'd be more likely to investigate what their native culture did to honor them than to try to force them into a Hellenic framework.

Very good answer  Wink

Myself, I honour Isis and Osiris on occasion, and although I am interested in Egyptian religion and find many of their gods appealing, I mostly focus on how they were worshiped in Isis's cult in the Greco-Roman world during the Hellenistic Period (though I honour her husband as Osiris rather than Serapis). I'm drawn to the universal nature of Isis as Mother of the Gods and the "Chief of Powers Divine", and I find Osiris and his mysteries more approachable (and less dreary) than Hades.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)