The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 01, 2021, 04:53:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 01, 2021, 04:53:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Cauldron" Conference/Retreat  (Read 7733 times)
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 07, 2011, 01:29:19 am »

Hi, Everybody! (Hi, Dr. Nick)

starting up this thread to let everyone know that the wheels are in the works for an in-person conference/retreat primarily targeting the members of The Cauldron. The intended time frame will be late May, 2012 and the intended location is on the Island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands at the Hotel on the Cay (feel free to kayak.com these dates and locations for more details or visit any other travel site you wish). Prospects have also been spread on maybe having it on St. Thomas and maybe even having a camping retreat (which would be cheaper, very difficult to set-up, potentially very strenuous for visitors, but not completely impossible). With my grant and proposal writing experience, we plan on pursuing a Humanities grant(s) as well as corporate sponsorships. If we can raise enough money than this means folks who could be potential presenters, guest speakers, workshop facilitators, or attending in some similar capacity may be able to get their travel and/or hotel paid for either entirely or partially. Keep in mind that if you plan on traveling directly to St. Croix (STX) or through St. Thomas (STT) or San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) all of these locations do not require a passport for US citizens.

It's very late now, so it may be some hours before I can directly respond to folks, but please post questions, info, and just about anything else relevant to this idea please go ahead. Also anyone who was present during the chats with appropriate info or who can answer some of the questions posed, please do so.

I'm also happy to announce that both Randall and Lyric give their support for this event, and while it would be very difficult if not impossible for them to attend, we plan on incorporating them and welcome their support as much as possible.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:54:57 am by Star, Reason: Fixing typo in subject line » Logged

Please help my babies with a click.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 07, 2011, 01:35:58 am »

starting up this thread to let everyone know that the wheels are in the works for an in-person conference/retreat primarily targeting the members of The Cauldron. The intended time frame will be late May, 2012 and the intended location is on the Island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands at the Hotel on the Cay (feel free to kayak.com these dates and locations for more details or visit any other travel site you wish). Prospects have also been spread on maybe having it on St. Thomas and maybe even having a camping retreat (which would be cheaper, very difficult to set-up, potentially very strenuous for visitors, but not completely impossible). With my grant and proposal writing experience, we plan on pursuing a Humanities grant(s) as well as corporate sponsorships. If we can raise enough money than this means folks who could be potential presenters, guest speakers, workshop facilitators, or attending in some similar capacity may be able to get their travel and/or hotel paid for either entirely or partially. Keep in mind that if you plan on traveling directly to St. Croix (STX) or through St. Thomas (STT) or San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) all of these locations do not require a passport for US citizens.

It's very late now, so it may be some hours before I can directly respond to folks, but please post questions, info, and just about anything else relevant to this idea please go ahead. Also anyone who was present during the chats with appropriate info or who can answer some of the questions posed, please do so.

I'm also happy to announce that both Randall and Lyric give their support for this event, and while it would be very difficult if not impossible for them to attend, we plan on incorporating them and welcome their support as much as possible.

And, of course, y'all would get to meet ME! Cheesy

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 07, 2011, 02:19:39 am »

I'd love to go, but it is a bit far away for a stroll over! You'll have to make sure that someone is updating the forum during the conference for those of us that can't be there. Smiley

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 07, 2011, 07:35:25 am »

starting up this thread to let everyone know that the wheels are in the works for an in-person conference/retreat primarily targeting the members of The Cauldron. The intended time frame will be late May, 2012 and the intended location is on the Island of St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands at the Hotel on the Cay

An interesting idea. I'm curious: Why this choice of location?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 07, 2011, 07:55:42 am »

I'd be happy to speak about FlameKeeping and pantheism. Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 07, 2011, 08:00:45 am »

An interesting idea. I'm curious: Why this choice of location?

That is where Nick and Steph live, and since they are organizing, it makes sense for them to do so in a place they know.

Also, tropical vacation!

I looked up flights last night, and from Detroit to San Juan tickets were $400. The hotel is about $120 a night, so travel costs are comparable to other places in the US.

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 07, 2011, 12:51:00 pm »

That is where Nick and Steph live, and since they are organizing, it makes sense for them to do so in a place they know.

Also, tropical vacation!

I looked up flights last night, and from Detroit to San Juan tickets were $400. The hotel is about $120 a night, so travel costs are comparable to other places in the US.

Also, it's in the off season, and generally once the time gets closer the Department of Tourism runs their summer flight+hotel specials. Those will usually save about $300.  And if we have it at Hotel on the Cay, people really wouldn't need to rent a car, because the ferry over to the Cay is about 100 feet from the nearest taxi stand and bus stop.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #7: March 07, 2011, 01:36:59 pm »

I'd love to go, but it is a bit far away for a stroll over! You'll have to make sure that someone is updating the forum during the conference for those of us that can't be there. Smiley

Dito.
It would be sooooo cool, but... erm.... a bit too far for me too. Sad

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 07, 2011, 02:06:22 pm »

Dito.
It would be sooooo cool, but... erm.... a bit too far for me too. Sad

We need a European meetup/gathering at some point... I'd so love to meet fellow cauldronites.

Taliesin
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 06:01:23 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Celtic Panen/Polytheism

You are a child of the universe...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 07, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »

We need a European meetup/gathering at some point... I'd so love to meet fellow cauldronites.

Yes, seconded! Smiley

'When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears.' - Rumi

'The landscape is always the sand, the sky, the clouds, the sea. Only the waves change, always the same and always different.' - L.E
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 07, 2011, 02:11:33 pm »

Prospects have also been spread on maybe having it on St. Thomas and maybe even having a camping retreat (which would be cheaper, very difficult to set-up, potentially very strenuous for visitors, but not completely impossible). With my grant and proposal writing experience, we plan on pursuing a Humanities grant(s) as well as corporate sponsorships. If we can raise enough money than this means folks who could be potential presenters, guest speakers, workshop facilitators, or attending in some similar capacity may be able to get their travel and/or hotel paid for either entirely or partially. Keep in mind that if you plan on traveling directly to St. Croix (STX) or through St. Thomas (STT) or San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) all of these locations do not require a passport for US citizens.

Sounds amazingly awesome and utterly impossible.  Smiley  Hope lots of Cauldronites can make it!

Brina
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: March 07, 2011, 02:21:55 pm »

Yes, seconded! Smiley

Yeah, thirded.
(And UK would be cool too, wasn't there for years...to London it's only a two hour flight f.ex.)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 07, 2011, 03:18:47 pm »

Sounds amazingly awesome and utterly impossible.  Smiley  Hope lots of Cauldronites can make it!

Brina

What she said!

AntlerandHerb.com
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 07, 2011, 04:56:29 pm »

What she said!
Updates about the conference:

I spoke to my boss at the nonprofit agency I work for (beyondvisions.org if anyone is interested in looking us up) she believes it would be a worthwhile venture and Beyond Visions Foundation can serve as the fiscal agent for the event for a very nominal 10% fee. This gives us nonprofit status to go after grants and that any sponsors who simply make contributions towards the event can write-off their contribution as a charitable donation. This greatly raises the potential for fund-raising for the event (also, any individuals wishing to contribute at least $150 can also receive a tax letter/receipt for their tax-deductible contribution).

I'd also like to reiterate that anyone attending in a presenting-type capacity may be eligible to receive at least part of their travel arrangements paid for. This can even include teaming up with others for a display or workshop or something along those lines. A number of members are already putting together ideas for workshops and displays and the like.

On another note and of special importance to the presenters, it is illegal to use federal funds (including local government funds) for religiously inherent purposes, however, in talking with my boss and with Stephy and others that approaching it as a cultural practices and traditions  and the cross-cultural phenomenon event. We plan on inviting representatives from the local cultural traditions such as the Bamboula dancers, the Yuroba group, and rastafarian representatives, as well as the indigenous Taino and Carib peoples. And I think that we can include traditions that have been and are becoming more evident within the community for example: Kemeticism and its diversification throughout many traditions, Norse traditions in relation to the Danish influence, European traditions in the modern era and/or through the Caribbean perspective. These are all just examples that come to mind to me which I know I could include in a grant proposal. I'm very open to any ideas and how folks think they can put their spin on it. I'm also thinking that the workshop format will work best for most folks who may want to do something like meditation sessions, visualization sessions, spiritual get-togethers in lush, tropical locations.

I mentioned on the chat a few times that I can put together beach outings, cliff-side outings on the east end of the island, visiting the rain-forest, and I'm really pulling for arranging a turtle watch where we can either go and watch the massive 7 to 8 foot leather-back turtles nesting on the beach or watching their tiny hatch-lings push their way out of the sand and race towards the sea.

Anyway, just wanted to provide more info and gather any more info and questions from the members.

Please help my babies with a click.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 07, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »

Anyway, just wanted to provide more info and gather any more info and questions from the members.

By the time the conference rolls around I'll have my BA in First Nations Studies, so I could probably do a presentation on First Nations culture/spirituality/medicine (specifically a Pacific Northwest focus; most likely Coast Salish or Snuneymuxw), or something along those lines. I'd have a better idea on specifics closer to the date, but I'm putting my name in now as a possible-leaning-to-definitely presenter.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.