The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 27, 2021, 05:24:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 27, 2021, 05:24:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Cauldron" Conference/Retreat  (Read 7732 times)
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 07, 2011, 09:12:44 pm »

Hmmm... I would have to know when it'd be held, because school ends May 27th. I'd most likely be done by then, barring a last kiln or two. I'd love to do a presentation, maybe on ritual breads or baking or something. If nothing else I could be a vendor Cool

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: March 07, 2011, 09:29:37 pm »

I spoke to my boss at the nonprofit agency I work for (beyondvisions.org if anyone is interested in looking us up) she believes it would be a worthwhile venture and Beyond Visions Foundation can serve as the fiscal agent for the event for a very nominal 10% fee. This gives us nonprofit status to go after grants and that any sponsors who simply make contributions towards the event can write-off their contribution as a charitable donation. This greatly raises the potential for fund-raising for the event (also, any individuals wishing to contribute at least $150 can also receive a tax letter/receipt for their tax-deductible contribution).

That's not a bad deal at all -- and much easier than having to set up a separate non-profit.

Unfortunately, there is probably no way -- barring both fanancial and medical miracles -- that Lyric and I could attend. But we both think this is a great idea.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 10, 2011, 12:49:59 am »

I would LOVE to come. Unfortunately I'll hopefully be in INDIA at that time, but if I'm not, I would love to facilitate a discussion on LGBTetc in Paganism.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 10, 2011, 03:41:07 pm »

I'd also like to reiterate that anyone attending in a presenting-type capacity may be eligible to receive at least part of their travel arrangements paid for.

You might be able to attract some pagan "celebrity" participation if you're paying travel expenses. Combined with the lure of a Caribbean getaway, it might be enough to get a Starhawk or somesuch involved. (I imagine such well-known persons typically charge fees for their appearances, but they might be willing waive them for a tropical isle retreat.)

Personally, I'd love to attend a sacred geometry seminar hosted by John Michael Greer.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 10, 2011, 06:54:36 pm »

Personally, I'd love to attend a sacred geometry seminar hosted by John Michael Greer.

He's our guest of honor at Paganicon in two weeks, and I'm so excited. (He's also been a joy to interact with around the arrangements.) He's not talking about sacred geometry, though.

I'll note that travel for Pagan speakers varies a lot (having spent some time looking at this for Paganicon): some of them have very packed schedules (so you need to schedule a year or more out), some will gladly travel for expenses + some simple arrangements (a book signing, for example), others require a speaker's fee as well. People may have specific requirements around where they sleep, or food needs, or whatever, too.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 10, 2011, 10:31:55 pm »

He's our guest of honor at Paganicon in two weeks, and I'm so excited. (He's also been a joy to interact with around the arrangements.)

Cool! I just checked out the Paganicon website, and it sounds like you guys have a great weekend in store.

stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 21, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »

I'll note that travel for Pagan speakers varies a lot (having spent some time looking at this for Paganicon): some of them have very packed schedules (so you need to schedule a year or more out), some will gladly travel for expenses + some simple arrangements (a book signing, for example), others require a speaker's fee as well. People may have specific requirements around where they sleep, or food needs, or whatever, too.

Also, this is really more of a retreat type thing than some huge conference for dozens of different guest speakers, a hundred vendors, a thousand participants.  Even if we had the resources to assemble something on that scale, there aren't enough interested people with the resources to travel to the VI for an event like that.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 21, 2011, 02:36:41 pm »

Also, this is really more of a retreat type thing than some huge conference for dozens of different guest speakers, a hundred vendors, a thousand participants.  Even if we had the resources to assemble something on that scale, there aren't enough interested people with the resources to travel to the VI for an event like that.

True - but even smaller conferences might have one or two guest speakers. (Paganicon is a good example: we'll be somewhere between 150 and 200 or so people, including at the door registrations. We have one guest of honor (whose expenses are paid by the convention and one of the convention sponsors), and we have some other stuff we've contributed money towards that help make it easier to present.) And retreats often do have one or two presenters from outside the community that's hosting.

The point is that the amount that might cost varies a lot - and as Altair said, someone might be more negotiable on terms for the chance to visit somewhere new/warm/sunny than they might be to, say, come to Minneapolis in March Smiley

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 06, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »

In light of the proposed US government budget cuts, we've realized that getting any kind of grant funding for an event with a religious focus (even if it's an interfaith event) is going to go from "incredibly difficult" to "bloody near impossible." In addition, I'm looking at returning to St Croix in a few months, and with the move, my studies, and my job, I'd have zero time to devote to anything outside. That would leave Nick putting it together on his own, and it's not the kind of event that can be organized without a strong team effort. As such, as much as we appreciate everyone's support of the idea, it's completely impractical to go forward with the event at this point. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Stephy

omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 07, 2011, 01:16:30 am »

In light of the proposed US government budget cuts, we've realized that getting any kind of grant funding for an event with a religious focus (even if it's an interfaith event) is going to go from "incredibly difficult" to "bloody near impossible." In addition, I'm looking at returning to St Croix in a few months, and with the move, my studies, and my job, I'd have zero time to devote to anything outside. That would leave Nick putting it together on his own, and it's not the kind of event that can be organized without a strong team effort. As such, as much as we appreciate everyone's support of the idea, it's completely impractical to go forward with the event at this point. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Stephy
I'd just like to add some info on my part to this announcement. I will soon be taking an extended sabbatical from this forum to pursue my own spiritual development. Yes there have been budget cuts, but I did have grant funding lined up and some funders who were interested in financially supporting the event, but considering that I will not be around for the group or taking part in the event, it makes no sense for me to devote that level of time and energy to still developing it. I'll go ahead and add that no one has any ownership on any type of Cauldron Retreat/Conference, so if anyone would still like to consider taking the effort upon them, then I say more power to you. I would also like to add, that once I do depart, if anyone would like to email or PM me, I'll still respond to any and all requests.

That is all for now

Please help my babies with a click.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.