The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2021, 10:05:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2021, 10:05:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Binding Spells & Bodily Fluid Rituals:  (Read 9990 times)
Hollowed
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 07:59:02 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 08, 2011, 08:10:51 pm »

Hello. Firstly, I must say I'm not a 100% whole-hearted believer in magic and other such things but, I thought I'd come here and give this place a shot. The reason being, that I recently found out my ex-girlfriend performed a binding spell. She said it involved a red candle and a piece of red quartz which was to be kept under her pillow at night.

Now, do any of you have any clue as to what this was for or, what the effects could be/will be?

Also, I want to know of any rituals that involve a mixture of bodily fluids, if there are any at all. Any suggestions of areas to look into?

Thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #1: March 08, 2011, 08:33:13 pm »

Also, I want to know of any rituals that involve a mixture of bodily fluids, if there are any at all. Any suggestions of areas to look into?

I don't really have any suggestions, but:  It would help if you could give a little context here.  Are you trying to determine the potential effects of another spell your girlfriend's done?  (And if so, do you know what fluids were involved?)  Or is there something you're trying to accomplish yourself with this?  (And if so, what?)  This is kind of not a lot of information to go on, either way, and the more specific you can be the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Hollowed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 08, 2011, 08:37:51 pm »

I'm would like to grasp just what it is she has done, really. She claims it was to dispel anger and allow 'true love' to come to the surface. We broke up in very heavy circumstances, borne off anger and frankly, some ridiculous situations.

She claims to have done this in early January. Now, the thing is and here is where it gets odd because as I said I'm not necessarily a believer in this, around about that time some very peculiar things began to happen to me over the course of a weekend.

She only described it as a love binding spell to remove anger. But, given that I don't know anything about this type of, well, thing, I would just like some more information on whether or not this is manipulative, has long-lasting effects and such.

The fluids question relates to just my own personal interest in the natural affects of using them as a means of ritual practice. It is something I'm in interested in more from a metaphysical perspective than 'magical.'
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: March 08, 2011, 08:40:51 pm »

I'm would like to grasp just what it is she has done, really. She claims it was to dispel anger and allow 'true love' to come to the surface. We broke up in very heavy circumstances, borne off anger and frankly, some ridiculous situations.

Wait, so is the binding on you, or herself, or both?

(Side note--don't forget to quote what you're replying to, please, as required by the rules.)

She claims to have done this in early January. Now, the thing is and here is where it gets odd because as I said I'm not necessarily a believer in this, around about that time some very peculiar things began to happen to me over the course of a weekend.

What sort of peculiar things?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: March 08, 2011, 08:43:03 pm »

The fluids question relates to just my own personal interest in the natural affects of using them as a means of ritual practice. It is something I'm in interested in more from a metaphysical perspective than 'magical.'

Sorry, posted and then realized I'd forgotten to add:  If it's unrelated to the binding question, you should probably start a separate thread for it.  Otherwise the conversation might get confusing, or the fluids topic might get lost as people discuss the binding instead.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 08, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »

Hello. Firstly, I must say I'm not a 100% whole-hearted believer in magic and other such things but, I thought I'd come here and give this place a shot. The reason being, that I recently found out my ex-girlfriend performed a binding spell. She said it involved a red candle and a piece of red quartz which was to be kept under her pillow at night.

Now, do any of you have any clue as to what this was for or, what the effects could be/will be?

Her explanation is reasonably plausible - but it's not the only possibility. Depends a lot on her personal philosophy of how magic works, what she intended to do, and so on. Whether it has any effect will depend on her skill and experience, and also on how you respond. There are certainly magical acts you can do to protect yourself from unwanted magical effects - but honestly, being clear and frank in your relationships (of all kinds), living the best life you can by your own ethics, being attentive to your needs and well-being, asking for the protection of any deities you have a connection with, etc. are all pretty substantial protections in and of themselves.

A lot of magic feeds tendencies: if you don't tend down that direction in the first place, it has a lot less to work with. (There are exceptions, but they generally take extended periods of focus - I'm talking six or twelve months, not 6 weeks - and extensive experience and training.) It's possible the odd experiences you mention were the tendencies of the magic trying to find a way in - but it's equally possible that if you keep a clear head and say "Thanks, but no", they'd pass quickly.

Lots of cultures use body fluids as a connection: after all, they contain DNA, which we now know is a clear and direct pointer at an individual. Lots of magical systems use it that way: much more effective than a drawing, a photo, a name.

That said, they're not a place to be casual about, both because there are some physical health and safety concerns, and because - because they're so specific and focused - they can be hard to adjust or as easily remove after a working is done. I use them in very limited circumstances (with the full consent of anyone else involved), but I don't do it casually, and I don't do it regularly, other than something that's clearly indicating 'me' in a magical working.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Hollowed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 08, 2011, 09:16:06 pm »

Wait, so is the binding on you, or herself, or both?

What sort of peculiar things?

That I'm not too sure off; it could have been for the both of us. I will have to ask and I will let you know.

The weird things were, well, a bit weird. I went to bed very early and after 3 hours of being asleep, I woke up in something of a stupor and state of confusion. I had all these, and this sounds crazy, images and flashes of her in various situations. They involved her in, and forgive the nature of this topic but this is what I saw, a situation in which many men were 'performing' on her in attempt to get her pregnant. I was stood by watching and then proclaimed that I could be the one to give her a baby. Yes, this sounds freaky, I know.

Anyway this scenario repeated itself over and over and every time it was distressing. I also had images of her daughters being upset because I had left. I was almost sick also and couldn't sleep. I know I wasn't asleep but I wasn't really awake either. I was ill for a portion of the next day too.
It was following this time that my emotions changed towards what happened - something she said the spell was for. Since, we have resumed contact and I do feel utterly relaxed even about the more absurd things she did. Maybe this is just a natural moving on, I don't know.

I'm only concerned due to my slight belief in such things. I'm aware of their possibilities shall we say. Also, is it not intrusive and kind of rud eto do such things without the other consenting to it?
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 08, 2011, 09:20:58 pm »

I'm only concerned due to my slight belief in such things. I'm aware of their possibilities shall we say. Also, is it not intrusive and kind of rud eto do such things without the other consenting to it?

Depends. (You'll hear that a lot: there are lots of different approaches to magic, to ritual, and to ethics.)

Under my ethics and practice of magic it would be unethical and totally inappropriate - but consent (and inclusive consent) is very important to me, and I personally tend to believe that the costs of that kind of invasive working are not worth it in a wide variety of ways.

Some magical systems, and some people, care about it a lot less. That doesn't mean those methods can't be functional in at least some ways, even if I personally believe they'll also have costs in others. (Plus, not everyone lives up to their core ethical standards all the time: people can do stupid stuff when they're feeling hurt that they might regret later.) 

Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 08, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »

That I'm not too sure off; it could have been for the both of us. I will have to ask and I will let you know.

The weird things were, well, a bit weird. I went to bed very early and after 3 hours of being asleep, I woke up in something of a stupor and state of confusion. I had all these, and this sounds crazy, images and flashes of her in various situations. They involved her in, and forgive the nature of this topic but this is what I saw, a situation in which many men were 'performing' on her in attempt to get her pregnant. I was stood by watching and then proclaimed that I could be the one to give her a baby. Yes, this sounds freaky, I know.

Anyway this scenario repeated itself over and over and every time it was distressing. I also had images of her daughters being upset because I had left. I was almost sick also and couldn't sleep. I know I wasn't asleep but I wasn't really awake either. I was ill for a portion of the next day too.
It was following this time that my emotions changed towards what happened - something she said the spell was for. Since, we have resumed contact and I do feel utterly relaxed even about the more absurd things she did. Maybe this is just a natural moving on, I don't know.

I want to preface this with saying that my skills are rusty due to a two year long hiatus from my craft, but here is what I draw from this and what I remember.

It sounds to me like she performed something specifically to manipulate you in returning to her. Many practitioners frown on this sort of working as it interferes with a person's free will. Additionally, doubts may begin to creep into her own mind (down the line) about if you truly love/care for her and if your feelings towards her were just a product of the spell. For this reason, it is usually frowned upon, by many, to perform workings on others without their consent. Some people, myself included, may make exceptions to this rule in terms of healing and protecting loved ones. However, manipulation to force them back into one's life is usually extremely taboo.

I can't offer any input on the bodily fluids thing as I haven't used them in my practices thus far, but I have heard of cultures where the practice is common-place.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Hollowed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 08, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »

I want to preface this with saying that my skills are rusty due to a two year long hiatus from my craft, but here is what I draw from this and what I remember.

It sounds to me like she performed something specifically to manipulate you in returning to her. Many practitioners frown on this sort of working as it interferes with a person's free will. Additionally, doubts may begin to creep into her own mind (down the line) about if you truly love/care for her and if your feelings towards her were just a product of the spell. For this reason, it is usually frowned upon, by many, to perform workings on others without their consent. Some people, myself included, may make exceptions to this rule in terms of healing and protecting loved ones. However, manipulation to force them back into one's life is usually extremely taboo.

I can't offer any input on the bodily fluids thing as I haven't used them in my practices thus far, but I have heard of cultures where the practice is common-place.

Depends. (You'll hear that a lot: there are lots of different approaches to magic, to ritual, and to ethics.)

Under my ethics and practice of magic it would be unethical and totally inappropriate - but consent (and inclusive consent) is very important to me, and I personally tend to believe that the costs of that kind of invasive working are not worth it in a wide variety of ways.

Some magical systems, and some people, care about it a lot less. That doesn't mean those methods can't be functional in at least some ways, even if I personally believe they'll also have costs in others. (Plus, not everyone lives up to their core ethical standards all the time: people can do stupid stuff when they're feeling hurt that they might regret later.) 

Yeah, that's how I feel. Maybe she has set about this for the purpose of making me return, and to one extent I have when I had decided I would not. I don't know whether to believe her when she ways it wasn't a spell for manipulation purposes. I mean, I suppose most would say that it was my choice to start talking to her again and they'd be right I gather, but my interest in this world leads to be at least be open to the idea of such things having an effect.

So, would you suggest I do something to counter this or, do you think time will take its toll on one way or another?
Jenett
High Adept Member

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 08, 2011, 10:02:22 pm »

So, would you suggest I do something to counter this or, do you think time will take its toll on one way or another?

You mention your religious identification as agnostic, or I'd suggest prayer to whatever deities you honor.

As I mentioned in my first response, many of the best defenses are really about 'right living': have clear boundaries, treat other people well (doesn't mean you need to be friends, just means you need to treat them in a civil manner when you interact). Patch up any other disagreements around friendships/relationships in your life as much as you can. (This area of your life in particular because it's often true that we're weakest along similar fault lines: if you are treating friends/family/other relationships poorly, it'll be easier to manipulate you in a different kind of relationship.) Bonus: if you are spending time with other people, you will be less tempted to spend time with her, even if she calls/pushes/nudges.

On the magical side, many traditions have practices around energetic cleansing, protection, etc. Different traditions approach this somewhat differently, but I've got some suggestions in a blog post here: http://gleewood.org/threshold/2011/02/15/untangling-old-patterns-energy-prep/ (under the 'cleansing back to basics' area) that might be of help. The book I mention there (Spiritual Cleansing) is a great European folk-magic based book that uses a lot of common ingredients (stuff you can find in your local grocery/supermarket: if you find you want to do something more involved than sea salt or the other easier techniques I mention on my own blog, I'd go look there.

The beer bath (mentioned in there) is also pretty simple: a simple description is on a blog here: http://spiritual-cleansing.blogspot.com/2009/07/beer-bath-for-spiritual-cleansing.html - note that you can use any spiritual or personally important prayer/statement to the universe/whatever.

WhiteSong
Apprentice
Last Login:July 16, 2011, 12:23:12 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 21, 2011, 02:14:47 pm »

The reason being, that I recently found out my ex-girlfriend performed a binding spell. She said it involved a red candle and a piece of red quartz which was to be kept under her pillow at night.

I, personally, wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she was trying to get you to come back.  Although people have different philosophies, I thought that binding spells are often used to protect something from harming another.  

It would be just as plausible that she was trying to protect herself, or her family from any further harm from your relationship.  You would know whether your relationship had elements of abuse--emotional or physical.  But even if you were not the cause of abuse, she might simply be binding the situation from harming her and her family--since break ups can be really emotionally painful.

While your dreams of impregnation and children's sadness could be some kind of attempt at attracting you, they might also be attempts to explain issues of jealousy or possessiveness, or to illuminate the suffering that certain aspects of the relationship have caused--in an attempt to prevent that kind of suffering in the future.

The fact that she is the only one who truly knows her intentions for the spell has already been highlighted by other posters.  You will not find out why she did her spell here, just speculation--and a lot of good background and suggestions on the topics you described.

It is perfectly normal to have moments when you desire to go back to an ex, even when you're the one who broke up.  But, breakups can be especially difficult on children, and so I hope you consider everyone if you have these feelings of returning. I also believe that it would be detrimental to everyone for you to become superstitious that she is the cause of these perfectly normal post-breakup impulses.  I don't think you have to do any magic, and if you do--maybe just the kind of magic that helps you to focus on moving on with your life, or learning more about yourself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:22:46 pm by WhiteSong, Reason: Forgot something » Logged

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.