The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 25, 2021, 05:54:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 05:54:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Massive Earthquake hits Japan; Tsunamis Reach Hawaii  (Read 7927 times)
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 11, 2011, 09:11:33 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake_27
"TOKYO – Japanese police say 200 to 300 bodies have been found in a northeastern coastal area where a massive earthquake spawned a tsunami.

The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake unleashed a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Earlier, police confirmed at least 60 people had been killed and 56 were missing. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of Friday's disaster."

And in Hawaii:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_us/us_japan_earthquake_pacific
"Waves about 3 feet high were recorded on Oahu and Kauai, and officials warned that the waves would continue and could become larger."

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: March 11, 2011, 09:53:27 am »

I saw there were tsunami warnings issued for Northern California and Oregon, as well.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 11, 2011, 10:14:56 am »

I saw there were tsunami warnings issued for Northern California and Oregon, as well.

There are warnings. Reports from the local news is that the schools along the Oregon coast are closed as a precaution, and people have been told to move to higher ground. They are predicting 3-6 foot waves right now depending on what part of the coast one lives on. There was a report that the tsunamis that hit Hawaii were really close in size to what they had modeled.

I'm an hour inland and watching all of this with a mix of horror and fascination this morning.

I hope they can get the reactors in Japan cooled down soon!

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 11, 2011, 10:54:43 am »

There are warnings. Reports from the local news is that the schools along the Oregon coast are closed as a precaution, and people have been told to move to higher ground. They are predicting 3-6 foot waves right now depending on what part of the coast one lives on. There was a report that the tsunamis that hit Hawaii were really close in size to what they had modeled.

I'm an hour inland and watching all of this with a mix of horror and fascination this morning.

The CNN News says the waves have just hit Oregon.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 11, 2011, 11:02:47 am »

The CNN News says the waves have just hit Oregon.

That's what I just heard as well. I've been watching the only ODOT camera that looks out west towards the ocean (Yaquina Bay) and I can see the surge moving up the bay. The camera cycles about every 7-10 minutes so that's a bit annoying. Smiley

Here's the link if anyone wants to see:
http://tripcheck.com/popups/Cam.asp?curRegion=4&camera=645&camera=644

From what they are saying, the biggest are supposed to hit after 9am PST.

Edit: That link shrinks my browser down really small I noticed..... Just wanted to warn ahead of time Smiley

Here's the link to ODOT's page, and the link about is for the camera at Newport which pops up in a different window.
http://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainNav=RoadConditions&curRegion=4
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:07:13 am by Dragondaughter » Logged

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 11, 2011, 01:01:07 pm »

Here's a video about the reactors: http://on.msnbc.com/eWijLt

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 11, 2011, 04:16:54 pm »

Vancouver Island and British Columbia's west coast have also been issued tsunami warnings.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 11, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

<snip>

The magnitude 8.9 offshore quake unleashed a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami and was followed by more than 50 aftershocks for hours, many of them of more than magnitude 6.0. Earlier, police confirmed at least 60 people had been killed and 56 were missing. The death toll was likely to continue climbing given the scale of Friday's disaster."

I awoke at 4 am and heard of the catastrophe on BBC World News.  (The radio plays all night.)  When I heard "8.9 on the Richter Scale" I remembered that the New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812 are estimated to have been 8.2.  And those made the Mississippi River run backwards "at a horse's gallop" for four hours, besides draining a lake in Illinois and creating Reelfoot Lake in Kentucky.

And I already knew that for each one-tenth increase on the Richter Scale, the power of the phenomenon is increased by a factor of TEN.

That is an extraordinary amount of energy being released.  Even though it was well off-shore, as was the Sumatra event, the damage will be tremendous.

After stating this, I will mention that Japan is the most earthquake-proof country on the planet.  They take their seismology very seriously and engineer their construction to suit.  I have great faith in Japanese engineering.

The death toll will rise, but not like that on Sumatra.  Thousands, perhaps, but not hundreds of thousands.  We can be thankful for that.

CBS did a report that encompasses what happens on The Ring of Fire.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 13, 2011, 09:04:19 pm »

It was not my desire to kill this thread! Sad

They take their seismology very seriously and engineer their construction to suit.  I have great faith in Japanese engineering.

In regard to their nuclear power plants, and how (rightfully) paranoid the Japanese are of nuclear anything, how can an energy-producing station still be online (the rods are in the piles, isn't that online?) and not have power to their water pumps?  Where are they getting the electricity to pump seawater into their reactor chambers if they can't run their normal pumps?  Why did the diesel backups fail?

This is really bizarre.  I'm going to look for answers, and if I find any, post them here.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: March 13, 2011, 09:29:57 pm »

This is really bizarre.  I'm going to look for answers, and if I find any, post them here.

Yes, if this is what is happening, it's very bizarre. However, I get the impression that much of the "news" reported about the Japanese nuclear reactors in the quake zone is more speculation than fact. I'm mean I've seen reports of meltdowns (that obviously haven't happened), a reactor that supposedly blew its containment dome off, etc. This reminds me of the news reports after Reagan was shot: he was dead, he wasn't hit, etc. etc.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 13, 2011, 10:12:54 pm »

It was not my desire to kill this thread! Sad

In regard to their nuclear power plants, and how (rightfully) paranoid the Japanese are of nuclear anything, how can an energy-producing station still be online (the rods are in the piles, isn't that online?) and not have power to their water pumps?  Where are they getting the electricity to pump seawater into their reactor chambers if they can't run their normal pumps?  Why did the diesel backups fail?

Not quite. You have to have the control rods removed enough to generate enough heat for steam to run the turbines. Also if there is enough of a shock to the grid, the power plant will trip off line. The pumps & such are not run off of the stations turbines, rather they are run off of the grid. The emergency diesel generators on the other hand Do feed the plant when the grid is not availiable.

The diesels were knocked out by the tsunami.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 13, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »

Yes, if this is what is happening, it's very bizarre. However, I get the impression that much of the "news" reported about the Japanese nuclear reactors in the quake zone is more speculation than fact. I'm mean I've seen reports of meltdowns (that obviously haven't happened), a reactor that supposedly blew its containment dome off, etc. This reminds me of the news reports after Reagan was shot: he was dead, he wasn't hit, etc. etc.

It wasn't a containment dome, but I suspect a coolant facility.

You can see surviellance video of the explosion here.

It is not a small explosion.

Details on Caesium 137.  Fourty-four milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight is lethal in three weeks.  No wonder they are evacuating.

Ah-ha: when the power plants were damaged, they stopped producing power, though the piles were still active.  Link.

Related video: Newton's First Law- An object in motion (the sea) tends to remain in motion.  An amazing and heartbreaking capture.

Finally, a possible explanation for why the backup generators failed.  The explanation is obvious; the engineering flawed.

AC power unavailable, and the backup generators fail.

Unsurprisingly, the electrical grid was knocked out after the tsunami. However, all nuclear plants are required to have at least two backup generators to supply power to the cooling system pumps.

However, for Fukushima Daiichi Unit 1, both backup generators failed within an hour of the intiial incident. It’s not clear why this happened, but the tsunami is the most likely culprit.

Sea water and diesel fuel do not mix in a diesel generator.

This just goes to remind us that the gods will humiliate us whenever possible.

WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 13, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »

Not quite. You have to have the control rods removed enough to generate enough heat for steam to run the turbines. Also if there is enough of a shock to the grid, the power plant will trip off line. The pumps & such are not run off of the stations turbines, rather they are run off of the grid. The emergency diesel generators on the other hand Do feed the plant when the grid is not availiable.

The diesels were knocked out by the tsunami.

Ditto; thank you Peter.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: March 14, 2011, 08:14:56 am »

It wasn't a containment dome, but I suspect a coolant facility.

You can see surviellance video of the explosion here.

I have no idea what exploded, but I have no idea from that video where the "containment dome was blown off" idea came from.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: March 14, 2011, 08:23:37 am »

I have no idea what exploded, but I have no idea from that video where the "containment dome was blown off" idea came from.

I finally found a reliable reports of what the explosion was. It was a hydrogen explosion that blew the roof off of the reactor building. The roof off the building protecting the reactor from the weather, not the containment dome protecting the reactor itself. Here's on of the clearer reports on this:

However, there was not enough power to provide sufficient coolant to unit 1, which came under greater and greater strain from falling water levels and steady pressure rises. Tepco found it necessary yesterday to vent steam from the reactor containment. Next, the world saw a sharp hydrogen explosion destroy a portion of the reactor building roof. The government ordered the situation brought under control by the injection of seawater to the reactor vessel.

Efforts to manage Fukushima Daiichi 3
13 March 2011

Randall

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)