The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 25, 2021, 10:15:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 10:15:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Massive Earthquake hits Japan; Tsunamis Reach Hawaii  (Read 7929 times)
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: March 14, 2011, 11:59:28 am »

In regard to their nuclear power plants, and how (rightfully) paranoid the Japanese are of nuclear anything, how can an energy-producing station still be online (the rods are in the piles, isn't that online?) and not have power to their water pumps?  Where are they getting the electricity to pump seawater into their reactor chambers if they can't run their normal pumps?  Why did the diesel backups fail?

This is really bizarre.  I'm going to look for answers, and if I find any, post them here.

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/ may help you sort this out.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 14, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »

I have no idea what exploded, but I have no idea from that video where the "containment dome was blown off" idea came from.

And you expect regular news journalists to know the difference between a building and the containment dome? 
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: March 14, 2011, 05:34:04 pm »

And you expect regular news journalists to know the difference between a building and the containment dome? 

Good point, Peter. I guess I expect too much -- like even a small amount of research.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 14, 2011, 08:13:07 pm »

I finally found a reliable reports of what the explosion was.

...may help you sort this out.

Thank you both, this has been very helpful.

I'm still curious as to why they could power seawater into the core and not coolant.

Darkhawk - there was a mention in the article you linked about not being able to connect to the newly brought-in generators:

Quote from: http://mitnse.com/
This is where things started to go seriously wrong. The external power generators could not be connected to the power plant (the plugs did not fit).

When I was in the Illinois National Guard, we had 10kw diesel generators that could have provided power in the event of an emergency, such as tornado, flood or New Madrid earthquake.  But the plugs were specially designed for the military, and could not have provided power to the civilian grid.  I always thought this was a serious oversight.  You appear to have proven me correct.

There are numerous nuclear engineers in that facility right now, predicting the worst and watching it happen despite their efforts.  Maybe we should point our prayers to them.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 14, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

Good point, Peter. I guess I expect too much -- like even a small amount of research.

Journolists Guide to Guns
http://mjm.luckygunner.com/2011/01/15/journalists-guide-to-firearms-identification/

At some point I have to make a similar one for ships.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 14, 2011, 09:21:15 pm »

Thank you both, this has been very helpful.

I'm still curious as to why they could power seawater into the core and not coolant.

Darkhawk - there was a mention in the article you linked about not being able to connect to the newly brought-in generators:

When I was in the Illinois National Guard, we had 10kw diesel generators that could have provided power in the event of an emergency, such as tornado, flood or New Madrid earthquake.  But the plugs were specially designed for the military, and could not have provided power to the civilian grid.  I always thought this was a serious oversight.  You appear to have proven me correct.

There are numerous nuclear engineers in that facility right now, predicting the worst and watching it happen despite their efforts.  Maybe we should point our prayers to them.

I haven't read the full article DarkHawk posted.

They are using salt water robably because they can't get large amounts of distilled water which is the coolant. It's more important to keep the core cool than to ensure they'll be able to rebuild the plant so it doesn't matter about the Long term damage the salt will do. And they probably are using salt water rather than potable water since salt water is readily pumpable from the ocean and potable water might be in short supply if it's even availiable.

As for the generators, that one I'm not sure about. They should be able to run cables to some place and just whack off the plugs.
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 14, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »

http://mjm.luckygunner.com/2011/01/15/journalists-guide-to-firearms-identification/

ROTFL!!!!

AntlerandHerb.com
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 14, 2011, 11:08:41 pm »

I don't see the one I had as a kid.  Y

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 15, 2011, 12:39:24 am »

I haven't read the full article DarkHawk posted.

They are using salt water robably because they can't get large amounts of distilled water which is the coolant. It's more important to keep the core cool than to ensure they'll be able to rebuild the plant so it doesn't matter about the Long term damage the salt will do. And they probably are using salt water rather than potable water since salt water is readily pumpable from the ocean and potable water might be in short supply if it's even availiable.

As for the generators, that one I'm not sure about. They should be able to run cables to some place and just whack off the plugs.

I suspect the problem isn't necessarily power supply though that is playing a role but a lot of the plumbing etc circulating coolant has likely been damaged as well.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 15, 2011, 01:14:18 am »

Thanks, that was really helpful!

*headdesk* I read the comments. Basically all I got was: you can't trust the nuclear physicists, because they have a conflict of interest that makes them biased and they're just trying to sell their wares... and you can't trust non-nuclear physicists, because they can't possibly know what the heck they're talking about.

I seriously have friends who are taking or planning to take iodine, and are otherwise preparing to be seriously affected by radioactive fallout. While I see their perspective, part of me suspects that they're more likely to be harmed by panicking and taking a lot of iodine (among other things) than they are by radiation from Hukushima. Because the one is imminent, and the other remains speculation. Panic is so often worse than whatever was going to happen.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: March 15, 2011, 08:06:10 am »

LOL. The sad thing is I think some journalists must use that chart.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 15, 2011, 10:26:13 am »

LOL  I should make one for aircraft.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: March 16, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »

It is an interesting read, but in hindsight, it seemed to have been a bit optimistic, the real events caught up with it.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: March 16, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »

It is an interesting read, but in hindsight, it seemed to have been a bit optimistic, the real events caught up with it.

It's now been corrected and updated and additional posts are at http://mitnse.com/

Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: March 16, 2011, 02:46:58 pm »

It's now been corrected and updated and additional posts are at http://mitnse.com/
Yes, but what's interesting is that there was a very positive outlook beforehand, and lots of people (including that site) were explaining why things wouldn't go out of control, would be caught by backups, would be contained... and that turns out to be false.

It's not that I advocate panic or anything - that is not the purpose. But... the very fact that things have happened that shouldn't be happening because the engineers say they have calculated in eventualities makes me wonder. (In general in our society it is generally safer to claim you didn't foresee something, than admitting you foresaw but chose to do nothing. But the one who doesn't know is less in control and - to me - less credible, or at least, less to be trusted with certain responsibilities.)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)