The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 12, 2021, 06:36:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2021, 06:36:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Massive Earthquake hits Japan; Tsunamis Reach Hawaii  (Read 8262 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: March 16, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »

The spent fuel pool at Unit Four has run dry.

At Chernobyl the helicopter pilots flew in the sand, lead and boric acid despite the radiation.  Interesting that the Japanese order off helicopter crews and risk a much larger population.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 16, 2011, 07:56:44 pm »

The spent fuel pool at Unit Four has run dry.

At Chernobyl the helicopter pilots flew in the sand, lead and boric acid despite the radiation.  Interesting that the Japanese order off helicopter crews and risk a much larger population.

Water burns?

If accurate, this is not a good sign.

I'm not seeing any statement in the article about not allowing helicopters to be used for putting water or such back in the pond.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 16, 2011, 08:34:57 pm »

Water burns?

If accurate, this is not a good sign.

I'm not seeing any statement in the article about not allowing helicopters to be used for putting water or such back in the pond.

It's been all over NPR and the BBC.  Too dangerous for the flight crews.

I found a new link through Google Earth: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/list.php

They were having 6+ and 7+ quakes in the days prior to the 9.0.  Those people can sure as hell take a beating.  I've lit another candle for them.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: March 16, 2011, 08:37:39 pm »

I found a new link through Google Earth: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/list.php

They were having 6+ and 7+ quakes in the days prior to the 9.0.  Those people can sure as hell take a beating.  I've lit another candle for them.

Only 5.5 or greater are recorded - I count 78 of those since the 9.0.  In five days.

It's insane.

sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: March 16, 2011, 09:18:34 pm »

Only 5.5 or greater are recorded - I count 78 of those since the 9.0.  In five days.

It's insane.

I don't know enough seismology, but are the numbers and strengths of the after shocks way out of normal range?
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #35: March 16, 2011, 10:20:41 pm »

I don't know enough seismology, but are the numbers and strengths of the after shocks way out of normal range?

I don't think they are too far out of normal range, given the strength of the main quake. However, I'm not a geologist nor is it a field I follow all that closely so take this as semi-educated opinion.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
sailor_tech
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: March 17, 2011, 07:33:37 am »

Just heard on Good Morning Today show that helicopters are about to bring in 30 tons of sea water for the reactors. Also claiming it's a "suicide mission".  The AAR (After Action Report) is going to be really interesting.

Things seem to be serious, but the level of confused reporting makes it hard to be sure just How bad it is.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: March 17, 2011, 08:07:33 am »

Things seem to be serious, but the level of confused reporting makes it hard to be sure just How bad it is.

This really bothers me. I would think that given the seriousness of the problems, the news media would try to get things (more) right rather than reporting whatever rumors they hear -- and, yes, I'm seeing a lot of unchecked material (aka rumors) being reported.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 17, 2011, 09:05:09 am »

Not really. There have been instances of aftershocks being within a point or two of the main quake at times. With a quake this size, it's going to take a while for the stresses caused by it to sort themselves out to a degree. New Zealand is still experiencing aftershocks from their big one.

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)