The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 20, 2021, 11:07:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 20, 2021, 11:07:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why did you choose or not choose Witchcraft/Wicca?  (Read 38942 times)
Faraetaildreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 11:23:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Slowly getting a clue...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: June 16, 2007, 10:13:33 pm »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together. However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

What drew you to the craft? Or magick? Was it the seduction of the spells? Was it the wonder of the Goddess/God? Or was it something more basic, the 'Wicca is all things Pagan' mainstream myth?

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you? I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

I have felt the pull of magick for a long time now .. but ignored it. I have been told that I have done things that made certain people think I was a witch, but afterward, when told, I denied doing anything of the like, becuase if anything happened, it was unknown by me. Subconsious perhaps? A hidden talent that has yet to be shaped, streched, used? I've been told I have a 'magic touch' when it comes to animals ... especially horses. I have the ability to calm difficult animals wheras others could not ... been in situations where the animal *could* have been difficult but I've helped them stay calm when with others they would not have.

I like working with energy, I do it already without calling it anything specific. I create 'walls' or 'balls' of energy and send or use them for various reasons. I do realise that this is a form of spellwork, informal as it may be. I've done it for years now, and really don't think twice about it anymore.

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose. Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life? *shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree. I would just rather "play" with the energy itself, than mess with trinkets that wouldn't matter much anyways. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? LOL. Sometimes I wonder ...

*just some random thoughts from a very happily confused person*

Hear me
And if close my mind in fear
Please pry it open
See me
And if my face becomes sincere
Beware
Hold me
And when I start to come undone
Stitch me together
Save me
And when you see me strut
remind me of what left this outlaw torn
~The Outlaw Torn, Metallica~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: June 17, 2007, 12:38:57 am »

What drew you to the craft? Or magick? Was it the seduction of the spells? Was it the wonder of the Goddess/God? Or was it something more basic, the 'Wicca is all things Pagan' mainstream myth?

Well, even though I'm not Wiccan and don't consider myself a 'witch' in ANY sense of the word...I guess for myself I'd blame my sense of wonder and insanely over-active imagination for starting me on my path. Christianity just seemed too limiting for me- from my memories growing up in Church, everything was sinful, so much information had to be shunned, everything was a trial or punishment and to me, there seemed no room for possibilites, for exploration or even basic enjoyment (since, you have to be constantly on guard about the state of your immortal soul and all).

Right, wrong or just plain unsure, for me accepting the possibility of magic, mulitiple gods/goddesses/etc. makes my daily life richer, gives it more depth than a constant battle between Good and Evil.

what "area" or "type" of it are you? Why did you choose that particular belief system?
I don't have any real 'system'. I'm always looking into new techniques to explore. Though I am horribly partial to dream work.  Grin

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose. Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life?
Bah, don't even worry about that. I have very very little connection with any deities and I haven't been tempted to try working with them at all. As far as I'm concerned, magic and the Divine can work in separate ways- ie. you don't have to have a patron to do spell.

And the color thing is so not set in stone. I mean, white in America represents purity, in a lot of other cultures it means death (which can be a type of purity, but you don't walk down an aisle wearing it). Depending on where you were raised, how you use that color in your work would differ then, right? Use what resonates and makes sense to you. If you feel like it didn't 'work', try something else. It's just magic.  Wink

Merithyn
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2009, 08:18:40 pm

Religion: Celtic Witch

It's not what you see, but how you see.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: June 17, 2007, 02:17:23 am »

Right, wrong or just plain unsure, for me accepting the possibility of magic, mulitiple gods/goddesses/etc. makes my daily life richer, gives it more depth than a constant battle between Good and Evil.
I don't have any real 'system'. I'm always looking into new techniques to explore. Though I am horribly partial to dream work.  Grin
Bah, don't even worry about that. I have very very little connection with any deities and I haven't been tempted to try working with them at all. As far as I'm concerned, magic and the Divine can work in separate ways- ie. you don't have to have a patron to do spell.

And the color thing is so not set in stone. I mean, white in America represents purity, in a lot of other cultures it means death (which can be a type of purity, but you don't walk down an aisle wearing it). Depending on where you were raised, how you use that color in your work would differ then, right? Use what resonates and makes sense to you. If you feel like it didn't 'work', try something else. It's just magic.  Wink

As one who's struggled with this myself, I'm glad to hear you say this. In my case, it's almost a matter of trying to commit to memory what each color, scent, item represents. I just can't keep it straight! So, rather than try, I've had an affinity for certain colors which mean different things for me personally. I just stick with those. The incense I look up every time I call a circle so that I have the right stuff on hand to do certain spellwork, but even then I've been known to mix and match according to what seems to "feel right" for me.

What it comes down to for me is going with my gut. I'd rather go sit under a tree in a rainstorm and focus my energy then and there than worry about whether I got my circle just right. And the gods that I pray to don't seem to care much as I can feel their presence either place.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: June 17, 2007, 07:21:06 am »

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you?

I am a healing Witch.  It is an extension of therapeutic touch; when I am working on a client, I facilitate energetic changes that they need but can't do on their own.  I also do some light-weight spell work, generally little more than spreading happy vibes, or charging talismans.

I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

You will find that often, the "system" chose the person. Wink

I like working with energy, I do it already without calling it anything specific. I create 'walls' or 'balls' of energy and send or use them for various reasons. I do realise that this is a form of spellwork, informal as it may be. I've done it for years now, and really don't think twice about it anymore.

In my book, you are already using Magic.

... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ...
<snip>
...its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ...

We use Fire as an Element, along with Air, Water, and Earth.  It is a focal point.

I would just rather "play" with the energy itself, than mess with trinkets that wouldn't matter much anyways.

If you don't put any importance into the trinkets, then they will have no power for you. Smiley  I've started using crystals after many years of poo-pooing them.

Confusion is a good place to start. Wink

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: June 17, 2007, 08:27:22 am »

It was the spells, although it wasn't seductive.  My grandad was very ill, and spells seemed like something I could do to help.  That's what made me start thinking about magic as something *I* would want to do myself, rather than leave to fiction.  In all honesty, watching the Craft (I was younger then Wink ) had opened up my attitude somewhat.  So basically I guess it was a power/tool thing.

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you? I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

I don't class myself as even remotely a witch.  I got my start with neo-wicca, but didn't find it at all satisfying.

*shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun.

Umm...why would they?  I don't see the point of this remark.

That to me is magic done by a tree.

Trees don't produce light.  They just make use of it.  I don't see how magic is involved here.

Anyway, just my two pence: I started with neo-Wicca, and left it fairly soonish.  I didn't believe all Gods/goddesses were just 'facets', I didn't give a crap about the 'turning of the wheel', I felt the belief system was fluffy, and didn't acknowledge huge facets of life...etc.  Basically none of the beliefs actually fit me, and didn't strike me as very useful. Smiley

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
V
Journeyman
Last Login:November 27, 2008, 01:10:38 pm

Religion: Eclectic Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 17, 2007, 11:00:43 am »

When I first started, I admit it was mostly the myth of Wicca = Pagan.  I rejected Christian philosophy because of their seeming belief that nature is to be risen above.  Regardless of what I had been taught, I always felt that divinity runs through everything--not above it or in contrast to it.

Eventually, the path chose me.  (Or eventually I realized that the path had already chosen me although I retain the right to decide differently if I so choose.)

I have the ability to calm difficult animals wheras others could not ... been in situations where the animal *could* have been difficult but I've helped them stay calm when with others they would not have.

Sounds like you have a natural talent for psychic touch.  Have you checked further into psychometry?

I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties.

Join the club.  In my tradition, belief in Gods and Goddesses is not a prerequisite although the belief in the underlying energies is.  Some of our members see the God/desses as "real people" with real personalities.  Others see them more as psychological aspects of man.  Still others see them as thought forms that have become "real" because of all the centuries of human focus.  However they're viewed, their energies still work.

why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life?

You can!  Lots of people need the trappings in order to "jump start" the process and then abandon the use of them later.  Other people start with just using thought and later find that candles, etc. bring more focus than they had ever thought they would.  I, personally, am NOT a trinket sort of gal.  People bring me cute things and I just pile them up in a box.  But ever once in a while, one of them calls to me and gets used for magical purposes. 

...trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree.

When you speak of trees making light, I'm thinking that you're using the word "light" to mean the tree's divine spark of life.  Is that what you mean?

If you stand with one foot in yesterday and the other foot in tomorrow, you'll piss all over today.
Feisty Dreamer
Apprentice
Last Login:August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: I'll let you know when I do

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 17, 2007, 11:50:44 am »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together. However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

My first steps down the Pagan path started with Wicca because it was the only variety of Paganism that I'd heard about. I'm not Wiccan now though, if I ever really was.

The biggest draws was the general "worldview" I guess. In Wicca I found a generally more positive outlook then in Christianity and I don't just mean positive = fluffy, all that "white light and unicorns and being the goddess you are" stuff. 

The fluffy Wicca 101 books were almost embarrassing to look at, and I never really felt Wicca in general fit me that well. Most of the variations of Wicca seemed to be people shoving bits of different cultures into the Wicca framework without always thinking enough about if those bits really fit properly. Just my opinion of course!

While I liked the outlook (sex and body positive, gender equality, importance of nature, acceptance of difference, positive view of death, lack of "because old patriarch X said so!" doctrine) I didn't mesh well with a lot of the practices. Calling the quarters, casting a circle, the wheel of the year and the traditional tools like anthames, brooms and cauldrons didn't do anything for me, and I found a lot of the available neo-Wicca material seemed..well somewhat "made up" feeling, it didn't seem to have the complexity, depth or cohesion I expected from a religion.  Sad

Unlike you I never felt much draw towards magic. I was turned off by the ritual intensive magic with specifically coloured candles, esoterically named incenses and "magickally charged" oils. I do meditate (or try to!), do some simple visualization, make offerings, pray and the occasional burning ritual (burning scraps of paper with things I want to get rid of written on them), but I don't really consider these magic. I see them as devotional, cleansing or personal improvement rather then as magical.

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in deities. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose. 

The Neo-Wiccan framework can accommodate a variety of deity forms, though I guess a basic belief in some sort of divine power is necessary. From the beginning I was drawn to "the Goddess", but eventually gave up on strict gendering. My Goddess is all genders (including the 3rd, 4th and 5th genders that might exist somewhere out in space..who knows?), or no gender, and every funky possibility in between. I use the female just because I like the sound/feel of it and because English doesn't have any non-derogatory gender-neutral pronouns, not because I think "she" is actually "female".

I've also given up on the strict god-goddess duality often found in Wicca. Based on my observation of nature I think a multiplicity of at least somewhat distinct deities is more likely, and based on my own musings I think a singular force feels right. And remember, you can practice witchcraft without the religion, Wicca doesn't have a monopoly on folk magic.

Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life? *shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree.

And I think I understand what you mean about "magic done by a tree". I often find the most organic, natural processes very spiritual, and rather more moving then some structured ritual. There's no reason you can't develop your own practices that follow this ideal, though I'm of the opinion that if you're not following at least established neo-Wicca, just don't use the title at all, 'cause Wicca ain't what you're doing.

It doesn't sound like you fit with a lot of Wiccan practices, and possibly even Wicca beliefs. But then there are lots of types of neo-Wicca out there, so you might find something that fits. Don't shoe-horn yourself into something that doesn't really work for you though, I tried that, and it's not fulfilling in the long run.  Undecided

I'm a "believing agnostic" - I believe, I just haven't  figured out in what exactly..
 Grin

The boredom you got in Heaven was almost as bad as the excitement you got in Hell.
- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Sine Silvering
Board Staff
Master Member
Last Login:February 20, 2011, 01:32:14 pm

Religion: priestess, Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 17, 2007, 12:15:35 pm »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together.
Just because you think it's simple doesn't make it right or useful.  Wicca is a religion.  Witchcraft is a skill set unrelated to any particular religion and adaptable to almost any religion. 

I'm going to arbitrarily assume you're asking how people chose their religious affiliation, since I can only address one question at a time without confusing myself as much as the readers.

However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

I never heard that myth, but my path-seeker days ended over twenty years ago; the world was a different place, with no internet or cyberspace to help connect with people, we were dependent on connections through friends and acquaintances, meeting at shops or at science-fiction conventions and talking fast because we only had the weekend.

I was a pagan from childhood; my parents were free-thinking Christians who rejected the organized churches, trusting that Deity would speak to the individual person without intercession by a church or an ordained minister.  I found holiness and sacredness in trees, in grass, in birds singing and squirrels digging in my lawn.  I found awe in seeds sprouting and pushing the soil aside to reach for the sun and moonlight splashing across my bed.

At age ten I devoted myself to the Huntress, because She walked in the wilderness, depended on no one to defend her, and kept dogs.

I am a priestess of the Wica, what the rest of the pagan community calls a Gardnerian Wiccan priestess.  I am a witch because one cannot practice Wicca without performing witchcraft; even the most basic skill of a Wiccan, the casting of the circle, is witchcraft.

I did not choose this path.  It chose me.  One of my roommates in college was a paperback strega; she lent me her copy of Stewart Farrar's book WHAT WITCHES DO.  The teachings, as related in that book, resonated deeply.  I wanted to look for such people, but there was no place to look. 

One Halloween night a HPS & HP were guests on a local radio talk show.  I never ever listened to talk radio... but I did that night.  I wrote to the station, which passed on my request for contact.  I met the HPS & HP for lunch a couple days later, and we sat there drinking coffee for four hours; we were instantly best friends.  It was as if we had known each other for decades.  They invited me to the coven's Yule celebration and they initiated me the following Imbolc.  I am now a third degree elder in the coven and I hope to never leave.  This is home.  But I never even thought to ask if we were Alexandrians (like Mr Farrar) or Gardnerians or some other tradition until I encountered other pagans who asked me what I was and I could not answer.  I was joyful in my service to my gods and that was enough.  It still is.  Smiley

I have felt the pull of magick for a long time now .. but ignored it. I have been told that I have done things that made certain people think I was a witch, but afterward, when told, I denied doing anything of the like, becuase if anything happened, it was unknown by me. Subconsious perhaps? A hidden talent that has yet to be shaped, streched, used? I've been told I have a 'magic touch' when it comes to animals ... especially horses. I have the ability to calm difficult animals wheras others could not ... been in situations where the animal *could* have been difficult but I've helped them stay calm when with others they would not have.

As I said above, inborn skills and inclinations toward magick and/or energy manipulation are pretty much separate from one's religious affiliation or inclinations.  If one has skills and/or talents, it seems disrespectful to the gods who endowed one with those skills and/or talents to disregard or ignore them.  JMHO; YMMV.

No need to think twice about it; it's a skill you have and use.  Not really spellwork, since there's no spell.  Smiley  It's straight energy manipulation. 

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose.

There's no honest way to belong to a religion without believing in the deities to which the religion is devoted.  British Traditional Wicca is a sworn priesthood serving particular gods.  If one did not believe in those gods, accepting initiation into the priesthood would be ridiculous.

Most neo-wicca is shallow use of Wiccan ritual structure to worship the gods of other pantheons and other people.  As if one could re-write the Catholic mass to worship Zeus and call it Catholicism.

If you aren't interested in worship or in serving gods as a priestess, then don't pretend just to have a label for yourself.  Just call yourself a witch and do the magic you want and need to do.  If a deity wants you, the deity will make it clear to you.  You don't need to wait; if you need to devote yourself to a deity or a pantheon to feel whole, do it.  I've never heard of honest worship being rejected.

Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life? *shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree. I would just rather "play" with the energy itself, than mess with trinkets that wouldn't matter much anyways. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? LOL. Sometimes I wonder ...

All tools and rituals are signposts, used to assist one in reaching the appropriate state of mind in which the magic works best and most effectively, in which contact with deity is accomplished.  Once one has practice and knows where one is going, one can bypass the signposts one needed when the path was unknown.

Trees, as someone else pointed out, don't make light, they use it.  Trees don't do magic.  Magic is something *people* do.  Trees simply live as they were created to do, and that living produces mana, the energy of which people can use as power to do magic.

I disapprove of calling it "playing" in any sense; there is a lot of power there and playing with it implies ignoring consequences.  There are ALWAYS consequences; nothing is done without cost.  This is why so much witchcraft is tied to a religious structure:  religions tend to have ethical structures that define the limits of appropriate behavior for their members. 

LOL  If you're happy, then you're not seeking.  You're not confused, at all.  You're just wondering if there is more to life... and the answer is, of course there is.  But it all isn't possible for one person to experience.  I'll recommend that one keeps an open mind and continues to learn, for as long as you are learning, new experiences are inevitable. 

Have fun!

--------------
Blesséd Be!

When men speak ill of thee, live so as no one will believe them.
---Old Farmers Almanac, 1832
Journey
Adept Member
Last Login:February 13, 2010, 04:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 17, 2007, 12:35:38 pm »

You might want to get as many books on Wicca/Witchcraft that you can (if you haven't done so already) and see if any "speak" to you. Learn all you can before you jump into it. Of course once you are in, it doesn't have to be for life. Personal beliefs and practices can chage over time.

I have always felt a pulling to Egypt, so I eventually came to a Kemetic path. But it is my own brand of beliefs - nothing straight from a book, group, written text, etc.  Will I stay here? Probably not, I go where I am guided. There was time in my life that I know Wicca would have been right for me, unfortunately, it wasn't available to me in the late 60's.  I had to learn everything the hard way - through trial and experimentation.

I do currently consider myself a witch, mainly because of my "powers, abilities, gifts" - whatever you want to call them and how I work with them. My own personal belief is that a witches powers are beyond the "usual physic stuff", as you make your way through this forum you will begin to see what I mean.

I attended a rite led by a witch of Wicca last year, and I felt as much connection to her rituals as I feel in a Christain church - just didn't work for me.  I actually felt silly durring the calling of the quarters!

Good luck to you on your path, whatever it may be!

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2021, 03:02:41 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 17, 2007, 02:28:36 pm »

Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ...
Some NeoWiccans - but not all - prefer the magical theory in which a spell's success is predicated on using just the right color of candle, just the right incense, etc, etc.  Other Neos, and most Eclectics and Traditionals, OTOH, work with the theory in which such things are aids to focus the will/intent, and that your own associations are more relevant.  It's definitely not a "make or break" thing on whether any of the Wiccan family of religions is right for you.

<grumbles about witches who appear to worship correspondence tables - not you, but those who've given you the impression it's necessary>

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: June 17, 2007, 02:49:10 pm »

When I started investigating paganism, the only thing I was aware of was the American witchcraft scene of the time.  Now, I did my investigations before the books consistently sucked -- I predate Ravenwolf and her ilk, and didn't discover that stuff until some ten years later when I redrifted into pagan community -- which meant that I was exposed to more eclectic Wicca than the neo-Wicca stuff, but it was not exactly made clear to me, for example, that Starhawk's Reclaiming tradition was not basically talking about the same basic paradigm as what was in Uncle Bucky's Big Blue.

The eclectic/neo-Wicca stuff was closer to what I was looking for than anything I had found to date, and I had no notion of pagan religion other than that (and, oddly enough, a vague awareness of the existence of Asatru, which was not a match at all).  So I went there and tried really hard to fit myself into it.

And the rituals I tried mostly I felt silly and self-conscious in, so I stopped bothering with ritual.  A few beliefs hung on a lot longer, some of them vigorously clung to because I had to force myself into adopting them -- the one that was the nastiest and most persistent was gender polarisation, which not only is something that doesn't work in my head unless I'm constantly applying force to it, but came between me and the gods.  When I dropped that, I got a whole lot happier.

The religious witchcraft tradition I have received some training in is a lot more queer and genderqueer, and thus does not cause me those cognitive issues.

Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 17, 2007, 03:27:18 pm »

<grumbles about witches who appear to worship correspondence tables - not you, but those who've given you the impression it's necessary>

I've heard of an equivalent - Thelemites who are way too obsessed with 777.   Haven't met any, though.

Some of the ceremonial magic material I've found - like 777 - give reasons for the correspondences.  I find that useful.  It also helps me see how the associations work so I can make my own.

gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 17, 2007, 07:29:53 pm »

Well, one reason I dont say Christian Wiccan instead of Christian Witch (and I do know those who qualify as that instead) is because they are just too dang complicated! LOL  I do use candles for the occasional spell, mainly because I am teaching my daughter, and she likes them.   (she is 17 btw) Basically I meditate, visualize, talk to Spirit/spirits if it is something that needs me to, and let it go.  Very simple.  Much like your energy balls.  I will sometimes use other tools (crystals for instance) and wish books have occasionally entered the picture (take a little photo album or just paper, put pictures of what you want to accomplish in them, or pictures that convey the idea of what you want in them, think about it while you are doing it, and look through them periodically to give them energy, and just go on with confidence that it WILL happen) I also write things out that I want to release/banish and then burn the paper.  But frankly most things I do dont require tools, they are all internal.  Visualization is the key for me.  Magick doesnt have to be complicated.  Some people just do better with it complicated.  It fits their style.  I go by gut instinct and just DO.  I streamline.   

Remember too, Wicca is a religion, not just a magick structure.  You have to feel comfortable with it as a religion as well.  If you arent sure what you believe, you might want to research that as a separate line that blurs and merges with magick as a whole.  You dont HAVE to be religious to do magick.  And you dont have to be magickal to be Pagan either!  Some people never do mix the two. 

HTH

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Vanni
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 16, 2015, 09:45:11 am

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 18, 2007, 06:27:06 am »

It was really simply just observation, like putting together pieces of a puzzle. Plus, I grew up in a home in which European folk magic was practiced routinely. It was never identified and magic or witchcraft, it simply was what you did. It was also routinely coupled with Catholicism and no one tried to bifurcate the two as they do now. Sadly, there are only small pockets of the descendents of European immigrants who are still comfortable with these old ways and the concepts behind them.

So, on the one hand I had grandparents and my mother for whom an understanding that there was more to this world than what you can see and feel were commonplace, and then I started to notice that for the most part, what I wished for almost invariably came true. It took a long time to realize that adage that I needed to be careful what I wished for, as a couple times it really backfired and I went from a good situation into something bad. As I got older, I also became more sensitive and empathetic. We also moved into a house that reeked of evil and was haunted. I was there for six years as a teenager and the events of that house were just recently resolved (I hope).

For a number of years, I was not into religion or magic and was very "scientific" thinking that magic was just superstition. Then I had my kids and got back into Catholicism largely because I sent them to parochial schools, but it also felt right to "come home" so to speak to something from my childhood that seemed so familiar and comfortable. Initially, I was pretty concrete in my following of Church doctrine. Either coincidentally or perhaps intentionally, a number of very awful things started to happen with my family (and "the house"). For two years I did all of the Catholic things you are supposed to do and nothing happened. I was beyond desperate and in some real, tangible trouble. So, one night around Christmas I picked up my laptop and started to google witchcraft and spells. I did a ton of research, bought a ton of supplies, and went full throttle. Initially, I felt guilty, but I ended up resolving this in the same way that Catholicism allows for participation in a "just" war (whatever that means). Also, I have always recognized that Church doctrine is often tainted by sociopolitical motives, so I have resolved those conflicts.

In any case, I started to see results little by little with the spells and after about a year, I had dug out of what seemed to be a quagmire of quicksand. It took two years, but the really awful things were primarily resolved.

I have refined where I am at this point. I still use candles and herbs a lot and have researched more into what my grandparents and mother were doing without ever really acknowledging it. I have done a great deal of reflection and realize that I have been psychically attacked in the past and never realized it. In all of those times, I managed to land on my feet without a great deal of formal spell casting. This last time was different.

I think I have become more fearful now because I have seen first hand how evil and powerful these things can be. I no longer believe that good things happen to good people and I also think that it is critical to maintain some pretty strong boundaries and shields in addition to have psychic methods at your disposal when necessary.
elaoin
Journeyman
Last Login:January 16, 2008, 08:00:32 pm

Religion: Seido no Gijo Hei

I'm not a hamster, and life isn't a hamster wheel!

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 18, 2007, 04:24:02 pm »

When I was first drifting away from my local church, I turned to the only other thing that had been a constant in my life - a love of magical things. Usually this was in the form of high fantasy/adventure novels, but I'd been learning a lot online and decided to check out Wicca (which at the time I thought was the same as witchcraft). So it wasn't a seduction nearly as much as a familiarity for me. I certainly didn't see why it *could* exist, and in fact my mother has always encouraged my love of fantasy books, the mystical, and the old myths.

After trying to cram myself into the standard Wiccan POV, I came to realize that my personal beliefs were simply not that simple, or cut-and-dried, or black-and-white, or whatever you want to say. My beliefs are so nebulous that they often double back on each other - not one thing I believe is separable from the whole of my path. So things like two energies (masculine and feminine) that are distinctly separate didn't work for me. Yes, they are there, but they aren't so easily separated from each other in my mind. Sort of similar to the Yin-Yang theory, only without the defined boundaries.

I've always considered that direct energy work, and not remotely tied to a religious or spiritual path. I could probably get my mom, a conservative Christian, to do some of it if I could convince her I haven't lost it. Wink No reason you can't do energy work without the title of Wiccan.

Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life?

You hit a nail on the head here, IMO. Wink I don't so much mind the formality, it's the nitpicking I was finding that I greatly disliked. So I don't use colored candles, big deal. A charged white candle works just as well IME. *shrug*

All in all, don't rush in. Learn a little at a time and take note of what you see that you like, what you don't like, and then weigh them against each other - says my scientific mind. Lips sealed

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)