The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 05, 2020, 11:34:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 11:34:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why did you choose or not choose Witchcraft/Wicca?  (Read 27829 times)
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: July 04, 2007, 02:45:39 pm »

It was the myths, I think. And by myths I mean the myths of the Greeks, Romans, Norse, etc. I didn't grow up in a very religious home (My profile lists my birth religion as 'Agnostic/Protestant' for a reason). It wasn't a focus. And I was always intend on researching myths. Even if they were watered down, they were told in their own way. Myths change according to the mouth that speaks it.

Greek myths were the ones I always seemed to be drawn to. Yes, they are the most popular, but I did know the difference at a young age between Greek and Roman gods. I can remember telling people "Jupiter is the Roman God! Not the Greek one!" or something similar to that. Haha.

This reminds me so much of myself in freshman year of highschool. I had the language arts teacher who insisted on replacing Zeus with Jupiter, Mars with Aries, and Venus with Aphrodite. After class one of my friends and I would seethe through out teeth about his injustice.  Cheesy The Gods were very real to me at the age and I'm just now understanding why.

Hellenic-themed pagan, for now. I don't know. Like I said above, Greek myths intrigued me. I'm still on the baby steps of my particular religion. Maybe its just me, but I'm waiting for the sign that just screams out "Hello, are you coming?"

You're not the only one. I'm always second guessing myself and my experiences, but I'm learning to trust them more now. It's like trying to find that fine line between spiritual awakening and delusion. Sometimes I too need a big kick in the pants to be sure that I'm really learning and experiencing all the things I come across.

Although last night, after being depressed for the past weekend and me wanting something out there to show me this, I had a dream involving dancing, trains, computers, and transsexuals. I didn't actually realize the link to Kybele and Dionysos earlier this night. I'm just worried that I'm all making this up in my head. >_<

I'm something like this. I've felt a pull but I'm absolutely confused. I can't take subtle hints. I need something in my face that just screams "COME ON LOOK AT ME COME LOOK AT ME!". But thats just me.

Ditto.

Yay! Join the club.  Cheesy

And the membership just keeps expanding. If it actually charged fees the founders would be millionaires.

I know this will get me hung one day, but I still say that while all Witches aren't Wiccans all Wiccans ARE Witches, but that's another topic for another day.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #31: July 04, 2007, 02:58:55 pm »

This reminds me so much of myself in freshman year of highschool. I had the language arts teacher who insisted on replacing Zeus with Jupiter, Mars with Aries, and Venus with Aphrodite.

Yeesh.  He could at least have been consistent...

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #32: July 04, 2007, 06:20:21 pm »

This reminds me so much of myself in freshman year of highschool. I had the language arts teacher who insisted on replacing Zeus with Jupiter, Mars with Aries, and Venus with Aphrodite.

That's just weird -- I why this teacher picked some Greek and some Roman names, apparently almost at random.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
gayars
Adept Member
Last Login:January 27, 2009, 02:40:16 pm

Religion: Christian Witch

My baby :)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: July 04, 2007, 07:47:30 pm »

That's just weird -- I why this teacher picked some Greek and some Roman names, apparently almost at random.

Probably just the ones he could remember  Cheesy

Gina

Chihuahuas are like Napoleon, small and think they can rule the world.  If in doubt, just ask them.  They will tell ya Smiley
Asharti
Apprentice
Last Login:February 13, 2009, 12:29:11 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Pagan

I am bound to the arrow maker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: July 04, 2007, 08:04:46 pm »

What drew you to the craft? Or magick? Was it the seduction of the spells? Was it the wonder of the Goddess/God? Or was it something more basic, the 'Wicca is all things Pagan' mainstream myth?

i was all of five years old...i went into the local libary and started looking at pictures of the 'witches' in the salaem witch trials....from that moment on i was constantly thinking about these women, i continued to look at books on witches and the craft not totally understanding the words but being captevated heart and soul....as i grew older i began to resist the faith i was raised in, Catholic. I was a alter girl for ten years for five of those years i wore a Penacle ring while serving 'god'....one day i was walking to 8am mass and found $50...i bought a basic Tarot set (which i still have today) and a book with the different layouts and meanings of the cards...at this point i made my own stow-away alter (parents were still tad too clueless) and began a closer deeper relationship with the Gods & Godessess...to this day i dont know what drew me to it i just followed my heart...

Blessed Be!
Love & Light
Asharti
semperfemme
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 10, 2010, 10:57:11 am

Religion: Hellenic Polytheist Reconstructionism

Ogen van Verschuldigd

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: July 04, 2007, 08:33:47 pm »

I think I'll have to go with gayars on this one and assume that that's all he could really remember. I don't think Greek Mythology was his specialty, he thought a "trick question" was the fate of Cassiopeia.

"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it. "- Malcolm X
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #36: July 04, 2007, 08:33:58 pm »

Ditto.

Double ditto! (Did I just ditto myself?)

I feel like I seriously need a baseball bat to the head about this.

Although last night I did have something akin to that. Well.. sort of.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: July 05, 2007, 01:37:57 am »

I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

What drew you to the craft? Or magick?

Wicca was my introduction to neopaganism.  I had read an article on it, I think.  A quick internet search revealed a variety of informative sites and forums (The Cauldron being one of them).  I joined this one and learned 1) that Wicca was not the only, but one of many, neopagan paths and 2) That it was not the one for me.  I decided eventually that I was meant for eclecticism (at least until I did find the "right" path). 

Asherah was the first, and only, goddess that I heard from.  In search of ways to worship her "properly,"  I stumbled on Canaanite Recon.

On the subject of witchcraft.  I kept clear away from this term.  As I mention in a different thread, I have had a strong Catholic influence in my life.  One thing I have still not gotten over is the stigma attached to the word witch and its devil-worship type connotations (in Catholicism).  not sure I ever will completely.  Undecided  I know better now, and I certainly don't mind any others describing themselves as witches, it's just not for me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:20:29 pm by Ashaa (Sofia), Reason: spelling » Logged
Lykaios
Journeyman
Last Login:January 11, 2013, 10:01:06 pm

Religion: Kemetic AUJIK Pagan (only half kidding about the AUJIK)
TCN ID: Lykaios

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: July 05, 2007, 04:35:43 am »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together. However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

What drew you to the craft? Or magick? Was it the seduction of the spells? Was it the wonder of the Goddess/God? Or was it something more basic, the 'Wicca is all things Pagan' mainstream myth?

I think I was attracted to the world of Wicca 101 (I had rather limited resources and while I never read Ravenwolf, a lot of what I learned in the beginning was more fluff than fact) because of the acknowledgment of magic. But while I craved the acknowledgment of magic, I disliked the emphasis that the wicca/witchcraft books seemed to put on it. I don’t do much magic myself. I’ve never really felt comfortable with it, and I’ve always seen it as a last resort kind of thing. I also craved a deeper relationship with deity than I was encountering in the 101 crowd. Still, I didn't see any other options, so I stuck with it despite my concerns and just modified, you know, the season to taste approach.

When I discovered that there were literally hundreds of faiths which acknowledged magic, of which Wicca/Witchcraft was only one (imagine my suprise at discovering that even what thought I knew about Wicca was incorrect!), I took a good hard look at what Wicca/Witchcraft was really about  and decided that even the 'real' Wiccan faiths didn't really jive with me much less the mass produced version.

Don't get me wrong, there were certain things in the Wiccan worldview that seemed ‘right’ but there were also lots of things that didn’t mesh with what I perceived in the world around me. I called myself generically ‘pagan’ for a while as I looked down different paths and mixed and matched ideas. Then I stumbled on Kemeticism after getting thwaped by Set. It fit perfectly with my intuition and seemed so natural for me that I never looked back.

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #39: July 05, 2007, 06:09:49 am »

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you? I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

I like working with energy, I do it already without calling it anything specific. I create 'walls' or 'balls' of energy and send or use them for various reasons. I do realise that this is a form of spellwork, informal as it may be. I've done it for years now, and really don't think twice about it anymore.

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose. Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life? *shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree. I would just rather "play" with the energy itself, than mess with trinkets that wouldn't matter much anyways. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? LOL. Sometimes I wonder ...

When I was a teenager, I discovered Wicca shortly after getting into Tarot and I thought, "female deity? ROCK ON! And you get to use magic too? Sign me up!" I read Buckland's Big Blue and figured that I'd finally found a spiritual outlet in my life. (And yes. Magic was a big draw for me too.)

I eventually discovered that Wicca (especially the non-trad 101 version) and I were not really compatible. I disagreed with the duality thing. I couldn't get behind the all-gods-are-one deal because it seemed impractical and didn't match up to what I experienced personally. I didn't buy the law of three. And I don't even really like nature. (I'm one of those people whose idea of camping involves a trailer with a shower and power outlets for my hair dryer.)

These days, I consider myself religiously to be a polytheistic pagan. I also consider myself a witch, because I use magic. The two are sort of seperate in my mind, because I consider my religion to be about my gods and I consider my magic to be sort of like my art. It's just something I love and enjoy doing (although as with my art sometimes there is overlap). I don't consider myself a magician because my knowledge of Ceremonial Magic is pretty basic, and also because, well, I really enjoy all the 'bad' stereotypes associated with the word.

As for the formality in spellcraft - well, that all depends on your approach and whether or not you're working in a system, yeah? If you're just doing your own thing with energy manipulation then no, you probably don't need certain coloured candles or specific herbs or what-have-you. But I think if you are working within a system you can learn a lot about how and why those things are effective.
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #40: July 05, 2007, 11:56:36 am »

Don't get me wrong, there were certain things in the Wiccan worldview that seemed ‘right’ but there were also lots of things that didn’t mesh with what I perceived in the world around me. I called myself generically ‘pagan’ for a while as I looked down different paths and mixed and matched ideas. Then I stumbled on Kemeticism after getting thwaped by Set. It fit perfectly with my intuition and seemed so natural for me that I never looked back.

What you said. I only got interested in Kemeticism after being thwapped by Set - Yinepu was happy just being there. He didn't seem in a hurry for me to find a religion or set of beliefs. When Set smacked me upside the head, He then pointed at Kemeticism and basically said "Hey. Check that out. Look into it."
Underwater Thing
Journeyman
Last Login:May 24, 2010, 03:51:18 pm

Religion: Researching....Again.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: July 06, 2007, 10:54:33 am »

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you? I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

Well, I first learned about paganism by accident.  I had asked my mom to get me a tarot card deck becauseI wanted one really really badly.  She picked one out that had a thick manuel to it.  I first started playing with the cards and thought the art was pretty cool.  Celtic knots on the borders, the green man ( I had no idea who he was at the time) ect.   It was nifty.  I then began to read the book.  Some where on the first page of the book, my whole system went into shock.  Take in mind, this was two years ago, and the closest thing I knew about paganism was the greeks old gods, and even then I didn't know the word pagan, and my mom only called me a heathen when she was kidding around when I was younger.  Anyways, my system went into shock.  First, it was mumbling on about something called celtic paganism.  I didn't even know what celtic or paganism was.  Then, there was the sentence that completely made me gap.  Pagans believed every path is the right path?? My 14 year old mind couldn't register.  I had to read more.  I read the book, which was lightly on paganism, and then started off with other celtic paganism books more focused on paganism itself.  I finished them quickly and soon ran out of them at my local bookstore. 

I then ventured off reading a book called "Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner".  I knew what wicca was from the "ALL ABOUT PAGANISM" books they have floating about the world, but never really read much about it. I have to admit, at first, it was appealing to me for the fact that there is more wiccans I know than celtic recons,  and that it was easily structured and wasn't as frustrating.

I then blended the two together.  I've always stayed away from theactually "celtic wicca" books or websites, since I felt that they'd restrict me to too much and that they weren't accurate.  I still study and have been studying the celtic faith and culture for 2 years, and plan to continue it.  I just put my learnings to my religion.  I find more of a balance when adding the two rather than having them seperate.  With wicca, it's the structure.  With the celts, it's the deities and traditions.

I wouldn't call myself a celic wiccan because I know nothing about celtic wiccas traditions other than it's loosly based on celtic beliefs. 

I never really cared about the spells in the begining, or magick as a whole.  But, as I got older and more assured with myself I started to learn about it.  I wanted myself to be more ready and knowledgable about my faith before trying out spells and such.  I felt that it would be silly not to know much on your religion before skipping to the spells section of SRW "Teen Witch"  (Suprisingly, I was spared by her wrath, I never once wondered and picked up a pop witch trend author, they've always been the ones that have gotten good reviews).

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:56:06 am by Underwater Thing » Logged

"The sun is a flame-white disc
in silken mists
above shining trees,-
if I in my north room
dance naked, grotesquely
before my mirror."
-William Carlos Williams; Danse Russe.
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: July 06, 2007, 02:04:03 pm »

Actually I once stopped considering myself Wiccan because what I read suggested it was focused so much on spellwork.  Originally I chose Wicca because of the idea of balanced male and female forms of the Divine and the rede - both were in line with how I had been raised.  I had also been raised with a deep respect and appreciation for nature, and a love of myth. 

I've left Wicca a few times for various reasons.  Right now I would consider myself a "Wicca inspired Witch", as I am panentheistic and work with some of the ritual elements of Wicca such as circle casting and the elements. 

KatAutumn
Apprentice
Last Login:April 17, 2015, 04:48:54 pm

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: July 13, 2007, 01:06:39 am »

Wicca was introduced to me when I was nineteen years old. My aunt had begun studying the works of Scott Cunningham and she began telling me about her studies. In the beginning of my studies, I did not read his books. I stuck with what was readily available at the local major book retailer, which (sadly) limited my choices to Silver Ravenwolf. I read To Ride a Silver Broomstick in a weekend. Not only did SRW seem to abhor Christianity, she placed very little emphasis on the God worshiping aspect of Wicca. At the time I was pleased. I had just come out of the Baptist Church with fresh emotional wounds and was quite angry. So at first it meshed well with me. Being seen wearing a pentacle in public was great for jollies and I didn't have to get behind that "angry sky-god" (as I liked to refer to him at that time) of Judeo-Christianity. It wasn't until I began studying more credible sources that talked at length about honoring both the female and male deities that I started slipping away from Wicca.

At that point I still dabbled in magic and divination and considered myself an Eclectic Witch. I studied LaVeyan Satanism for about six months, until I read LaVey's The Satanic Witch and I was left with my jaw touching the floor. I realized after reading that book (and reading it over once more, just in case I missed something life-changing) that Satanism just didn't gel with me. I slapped the Agnostic label on myself and went on about my life.

I still perused websites about Wicca and read books by Scott Cunningham from my mother's vast collection. For some reason, it kept coming back to me. I couldn't tell you exactly what it was other than the Divine drawing me back, only this time I was ready and it was like a whammy. Everything I had learned came back to me along with a hunger for more knowledge. This time I was able to let go of the anger I had over Christianity and I was able to see that it was okay to revere both the Goddesses and the Gods. I was no longer "fluffy". I don't wear my pentacle in public, nor do I read any fluffy books about Wicca. It is a privilege to honor my Lady and Lord, to be a steward over the earth to the best of my abilities and to practice Wicca as a religion that incorporates magic and ritual.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 09, 2020, 05:56:40 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: July 13, 2007, 08:15:21 am »

Wicca was introduced to me when I was nineteen years old.

You need use the "Reply/Quote" button on the message you are replying to (even if you use the quick reply feature -- which we do not advise). If you use the normal reply (but not with quick reply, unfortunately), you will see these guidelines above the typing area:

Cauldron Post and Quote Style Summary:
1) Trim quoted text, aim for more of your text than quoted text. 2) Leave the long auto-inserted quote bbcode at the start and end of the quote. 3) One reply per message is best. 4) Write in short paragraphs separated by blank lines. 5) Preview before posting helps prevent errors.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)