The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 05, 2021, 08:38:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 05, 2021, 08:38:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why did you choose or not choose Witchcraft/Wicca?  (Read 37392 times)
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: July 18, 2007, 08:03:31 pm »

I don't claim to know everything. I was born in 1984, so obviously I wasn't around when it came to be. Sorry if I'm not perfect; everyone's entitled to my opinion.  Wink
Let me be more direct here.  If your sources on Wicca have not been accurate about when it began, what makes you think they're accurate about "how it's meant"?

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

fleurdalune
Last Login:September 25, 2007, 04:53:19 pm
United States United States

Religion: witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: July 19, 2007, 08:40:54 am »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together. However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't

I am a solitary witch and my path more or less chose me.  The way I practice is by instinct.  I fellow no particular deity most of the time I use none.  I feel and believe in the earth's energies and all that abounds in and around it.  I use what ever candles , herbs, spells I fell is needed.

Fleurdalune Smiley

Faraetaildreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 13, 2007, 11:23:41 pm

Religion: Slowly getting a clue...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: July 23, 2007, 12:13:53 am »

Wow. As a general response to everyone that has posted ... a huge thank you.  Now on to individual responses ...

Hear me
And if close my mind in fear
Please pry it open
See me
And if my face becomes sincere
Beware
Hold me
And when I start to come undone
Stitch me together
Save me
And when you see me strut
remind me of what left this outlaw torn
~The Outlaw Torn, Metallica~
Faraetaildreams
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: July 23, 2007, 12:18:08 am »

Sounds like you have a natural talent for psychic touch.  Have you checked further into psychometry?

<snip>

When you speak of trees making light, I'm thinking that you're using the word "light" to mean the tree's divine spark of life.  Is that what you mean?

I'm afraid I've never heard the word psychometry *goes off to google it*

and as a general reply to the tree ... thats exactly what I meant ... not the physical process of making light ... thats biology and chemistry in action, but the simple act that The tree CAN do it.

Hear me
Please pry it open
See me
Beware
Hold me
Stitch me together
Save me
Faraetaildreams
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: July 23, 2007, 12:27:53 am »

As long as you see the difference, I'm alright with that. For some of us (or fine, at least for -me-), theres no point in rehashing the same old "Wicca is a religion, Witchcraft is a craft" over and over again.

It was the myths, I think. And by myths I mean the myths of the Greeks, Romans, Norse, etc. I didn't grow up in a very religious home (My profile lists my birth religion as 'Agnostic/Protestant' for a reason). It wasn't a focus. And I was always intend on researching myths. Even if they were watered down, they were told in their own way. Myths change according to the mouth that speaks it.

Greek myths were the ones I always seemed to be drawn to. Yes, they are the most popular, but I did know the difference at a young age between Greek and Roman gods. I can remember telling people "Jupiter is the Roman God! Not the Greek one!" or something similar to that. Haha.

Hellenic-themed pagan, for now. I don't know. Like I said above, Greek myths intrigued me. I'm still on the baby steps of my particular religion. Maybe its just me, but I'm waiting for the sign that just screams out "Hello, are you coming?"

Although last night, after being depressed for the past weekend and me wanting something out there to show me this, I had a dream involving dancing, trains, computers, and transsexuals. I didn't actually realize the link to Kybele and Dionysos earlier this night. I'm just worried that I'm all making this up in my head. >_<

I'm something like this. I've felt a pull but I'm absolutely confused. I can't take subtle hints. I need something in my face that just screams "COME ON LOOK AT ME COME LOOK AT ME!". But thats just me.

Energy work confuses the hell out of me. Maybe its because I've never seriously set myself down to try this, but it just.. confuses me.

What you're kind of describing (with candle needs to be such and such colour) is a mainstream, fluffy version of sympathetic magic. If you're doing a love spell, you want things to reflect colours and feelings of love. Or, with healing magic, things that ooze health and prosperity.

But when it just all becomes some big arse cookbook (no offense to the kitchen witches, I'm meaning the really bad books!), and becomes less about what magic is, then you have a problem.

Yay! Join the club.  Cheesy

I'd edit your words ... but everything you said here was EXACTLY the way I feel regarding subelty vs. slapping me in the face. I would SO prefer a slap in the face .. nd yet I get this strange feeling that I have been ... yet haven't answered it fully yet. I have not looked into it further due to things in my life ... yet those things going on I have a feeling have been tied to the slap in a roundabout way. The thought of 'THIS IS YOUR PATH' from this personna ... makes perfect sense.

But before I turn this into a 'how we got chosen' thread ... I have been looking into books from the library ... I've taken home several larger encyclopedias on Wicca, adn Lady Shebas Grimmore, amongst others, and read them all almost from cover to cover ... and what I have discovered is that while the THOUGHT of doing magick excites me, the idea of following the religious aspects of it ... the Goddess/God duality, the rule of three ... *sorry but I think its equal not multiplied*, like many others here, it just didn't sit with me. I didn't feel the spark of 'omg' I need to do this ... more that I can / will do the energy work *there I feel a spark* but the rest is just extranious stuff.

So, I have decided for now simply to sit and see what happens, not to rush into anything, and dig a bit deeper into this path that has been laid out before me. Its one that could be attributed to several orgins, all of which I am sure had a hand in it. The fun will be in seeing if a certain goddess had anything to do with it.

Hear me
Please pry it open
See me
Beware
Hold me
Stitch me together
Save me
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #65: July 23, 2007, 05:52:19 pm »

But before I turn this into a 'how we got chosen' thread ... I have been looking into books from the library ... I've taken home several larger encyclopedias on Wicca, adn Lady Shebas Grimmore, amongst others, and read them all almost from cover to cover ... and what I have discovered is that while the THOUGHT of doing magick excites me, the idea of following the religious aspects of it ... the Goddess/God duality, the rule of three ... *sorry but I think its equal not multiplied*, like many others here, it just didn't sit with me.
I've always considered "threefold" to be poetic, not mathematical.  I dislike "rule of three" being used for the Threefold Law/Law of Return; I consider that "rule of three" is more useful to use for the overall principle of "poetic threes":  what I tell you three times is true, third time lucky, three strikes, good/bad things coming in threes, etc.  It's a common theme, and does have a sort of mathematical root, in that three is the minimum number of points/instances from which a pattern can be extrapolated, but mainly is a poetic/emotive/folk-culture reflection of the importance, or at least usefulness, of threeness.

The Threefold Law, IMO, is just one example of this usage.  The "threeness" in that instance reflects the way that consequence can (though not necessarily) appear disproportionate to cause, and/or affect things that seem quite separate and distinct from what sort of thing the cause was - it might seem to "multiply", not necessarily by a literal, quantifiable three, but in a way that can be metaphorically symbolized by three.  This is, of course, often a matter of perception - but I would posit that it's no more mathematically equal than it's mathematically triple.

Mostly, though, I ignore the numeric aspect, because it's so very subject to misconstruction; I've long preferred "Law of Return" (and am thinking, as I compose this post, that "Principle of Return" might be even better), and explicate it as, "All actions and choices, including choosing not to act, have consequences, which cannot be avoided or averted without setting in motion new chains of consequence."

Being Wiccan is not dependent on adhering to the "dogma" of literal triplicate consequence; it's a fairly minor point in the overall fabric of Wiccan(esque) religious witchcraft.  I'm not so much aiming that at you, Faraetaildreams ("several larger encyclopedic works and Lady Sheba" has its weaknesses, but should suffice to give a sense of Wicca that's not just Pop-Pagan NeoWicca; I feel safe in supposing that your decision that Wicca wasn't for you is based on more substantial things than a "dogma" that isn't really dogma), but speaking to the issue you raise in mentioning it.  The "Pagan Fundies" do use "literal belief in triplicate consequence" as a "test of faith" - I'll undercut the dogmatism of the Pagan Fundies any chance I get.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: July 23, 2007, 09:42:37 pm »

"All actions and choices, including choosing not to act, have consequences, which cannot be avoided or averted without setting in motion new chains of consequence."

Sunflower's Postulate! Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #67: July 24, 2007, 04:17:03 pm »

Sunflower's Postulate! Smiley
Embarrassed
No, please - having things named after me feels pretentious.

Sunflower

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: July 24, 2007, 08:45:29 pm »

Embarrassed
No, please - having things named after me feels pretentious.

Sunflower

It fits, just as well.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Devin
Senior Newbie
Last Login:August 01, 2007, 01:22:47 am

Religion: Gnostic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #69: July 25, 2007, 12:25:08 am »

What drew you to the craft? Or magick? Was it the seduction of the spells? Was it the wonder of the Goddess/God? Or was it something more basic, the 'Wicca is all things Pagan' mainstream myth?

I have always had a certain belief system that I now realize is mostly Gnostic. I was raised Catholic, but have long believed in the power of a Goddess as well as a God, and that led me to become quite curious about a variety of things. I began to read some, but the books that were available to me were mostly relating to dark magick in which I was not, at that point in time, interested. If one now looks at the Goddess who patronizes me primarily, it's rather surprising to see that I was turned off by dark magick, given that it is Sekmet who speaks to me most often!

When I was still very young, about twelve years old, I was still believing in things that others didn't -- Unicorns, Faeries, Dragons. So I went out into my parents' garden hoping that I might run into something... I sat down and I prayed. I don't remember what exactly I prayed, but what I do remember was that a name that I had never heard before seemed to almost be whispered in my ear. That name was "Isis."

Sure, I'm Gnostic *and* tend to follow the Egyptian Gods. I'm eclectic, in many ways, a hodgepodge of beliefs, but I think that it makes me unique, and I understand my own faith. That's what matters! Wink

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you? I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

I chose two religions: Gnosticism and Egyptian paganism. Some people tell me they are mutually exclusive, but some will tell you that Christianity and Witchcraft are mutually exclusive, and clearly they aren't (I'm glad to see that there are some Christian Witches here!). Egyptian Paganism was attractive to me because it was Isis who first spoke to me, first called me to her. Though my patronage has changed from Isis to Sekmet and Anubis, not a whole lot has really changed -- I still tend to stay close to the Egyptian Gods and feel almost repulsed by the Gods of the Celts for some reason that I can't explain (though if that is your chosen pantheon, I absolutely admire you, because in fact they are some of the most beautiful Gods, Goddesses and Myths I've ever experienced, and having lived in the Celtic lands, I can say right now that the power of the Celtic religions is amazing!).

As for the Gnostic aspect of all of it... Well, I was gnostic before I knew what gnostic was.

I have felt the pull of magick for a long time now .. but ignored it. I have been told that I have done things that made certain people think I was a witch, but afterward, when told, I denied doing anything of the like, becuase if anything happened, it was unknown by me. Subconsious perhaps? A hidden talent that has yet to be shaped, streched, used? I've been told I have a 'magic touch' when it comes to animals ... especially horses. I have the ability to calm difficult animals wheras others could not ... been in situations where the animal *could* have been difficult but I've helped them stay calm when with others they would not have.

I will probably catch some flack for this, but I feel the need to say it.

I think that *some* people are born with innate gifts that are special to them. I'm not saying that everybody doesn't have gifts, but the fact is that I've seen an enormous discrepancy between the abilities of one individual and the abilities of another. Now whether or not this is based on a denial by the one failing to express the ability, I don't know. But I do *not* believe that everyone has equal abilities spread out over different areas.

Certainly we all have some "psychic" ability. Personally I believe that this is the remnants of our animal instincts, before we were fully hominid (my primary area of interest is in human evolution). However, that's a bit different than those "special" abilities such as having a unique connection with animals.

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose. Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life? *shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree. I would just rather "play" with the energy itself, than mess with trinkets that wouldn't matter much anyways. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? LOL. Sometimes I wonder ...

*just some random thoughts from a very happily confused person*

Well.... Deities aren't necessarily a part of what is effectively as much a "spirituality" as a religion. If you can understand the mysteries (as much as possible) of the Universal Energy, Gods don't necessarily factor into the bigger picture. If you take the religion out of the Craft, the Craft is still the Craft. It might not be Wicca, but the truth of the matter is that certain herbs, crystals, etc have unique properties which can be proven through experimentation and often through science. The existence of "God" is much harder to prove or disprove. Me? I'm a believer, but that doesn't mean that you need to be.

"God" isn't necessary for the practice of magick, in my experience. That's not to say that the belief doesn't often *help*, particularly during lonely times.
VictoriaMnemosyne
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 30, 2011, 12:46:56 pm

Religion: Eclectic Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: May 24, 2011, 02:44:59 pm »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together. However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

What drew you to the craft? Or magick? Was it the seduction of the spells? Was it the wonder of the Goddess/God? Or was it something more basic, the 'Wicca is all things Pagan' mainstream myth?

And further more, if you are a practicing witch in either Witchcraft/Wicca ... what "area" or "type" of it are you? I have seen here on the board Eclectic, Celtic, Hermetic, Christian ... I am starting to understand the differences between them little by little. Why did you choose that particular belief system?

I have felt the pull of magick for a long time now .. but ignored it. I have been told that I have done things that made certain people think I was a witch, but afterward, when told, I denied doing anything of the like, becuase if anything happened, it was unknown by me. Subconsious perhaps? A hidden talent that has yet to be shaped, streched, used? I've been told I have a 'magic touch' when it comes to animals ... especially horses. I have the ability to calm difficult animals wheras others could not ... been in situations where the animal *could* have been difficult but I've helped them stay calm when with others they would not have.

I like working with energy, I do it already without calling it anything specific. I create 'walls' or 'balls' of energy and send or use them for various reasons. I do realise that this is a form of spellwork, informal as it may be. I've done it for years now, and really don't think twice about it anymore.

I am just debating whether I fall in with the whole Wicca line of thought ... mostly because I am still trying to come to grips with whether or not I believe in dieties. Sometimes I think I could, others its no way jose. Also, the idea of the whole ... you have to have  this color candle for this spell to work .. and on and on ... while part of me understands WHY theres another part that says, why can't you just sit for a min, and think really hard about it, and then go on with your life? *shruggs* its not so much from laziness of getting all the stuff ready, its more about the formality of it. I mean, trees don't use candles to make light ... which is from energy of the sun. That to me is magic done by a tree. I would just rather "play" with the energy itself, than mess with trinkets that wouldn't matter much anyways. Does this make sense to anyone besides me? LOL. Sometimes I wonder ...

Well, I was raised as a Roman Catholic and just didn't feel any connection to it. God was too... formless. Like a very vague authority figure... the highshchool principal with no personality who no one ever sees. The whole religion was too restricting- but I love the trappings of Catholicism, the stained glass windows, the old custom of latin chants, the candles, very mystical.

I considered myself an atheist for years. I had a friend who was into Wicca and something about it I liked. I guess the mystical atmosphere more than anything else. I've always felt dissatisfied with society, with being so disconnected from nature. I guess that is was drew me to being a pagan. The Wiccan beliefs just seem so made-up to me, I can't find any connection to them.

Ever since I was young (I mean YOUNG like 6 years old) I was fascinated with greek mythology and some egyptian. So the greek gods seemed like a natural fit for me. I've researched a LOT (and still only hit the tip of the iceburg) but the more I learned about Bronze Age and Hellenic Greece, the more I felt drawn to it. So I identify as a Hellenic Polytheist. I'm especially into the mystery cults, I like Orphicism but not the ascetics involved. I identify as eclectic because I am still searching but because my primary aim is to find what has meaning to me, not to choose one particular path and follow it directly. Recons will believe that, but I believe I should identify my own intrinsic beliefs, and if norse or greek recon fits those, or wicca or what have you, that's what I am.

As for the pull of magic, I got into magic because I suffer from depression, and magic seemed to help me when I felt powerless to effect the world or people around me. Interestingly, even if you don't *believe* in magic, ie dont think it literally is doing things, it mirrors many of the psychiatric tools used to help people with anxiety and depression (cognitive restructuring). Perhaps that's why it's such a good fit. But my magic is secondary to my worship. It's a small part of what I do.
outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #71: June 30, 2011, 01:44:11 pm »

I am on the fence on this. I'm not sure if I do or don't want to go into Wicca/Witchcraft. And yes, I understand and know there is a difference between the two. For the sake of simplicity, I am lumping them together. However, I would love to know from those of you on the board here that practice, or have practiced before, why you chose it. Or didn't choose it from those that don't.

I like working with energy, I do it already without calling it anything specific. I create 'walls' or 'balls' of energy and send or use them for various reasons. I do realise that this is a form of spellwork, informal as it may be. I've done it for years now, and really don't think twice about it anymore.

I'm currently at the same place you are.
I started with Wicca when I first became Pagan because it was the most readily available, friendly, and accepting religion there was. I've learned lately that there are no pagan religions more accepting of people from all over than Wicca.

But I tend to view Wicca in a not-so-positive light. And I don't agree with all of it's beliefs, though I do know a lot about it. And I have a family member who's also Wiccan, along with her partner.

Cheesy

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)