The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 06:40:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 06:40:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Non and Low-Fat foods that taste good  (Read 10219 times)
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:May 02, 2013, 06:50:08 pm
United States United States

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: June 17, 2007, 12:52:52 am »

As ya'll know, I'm facing surgery to remove my gall bladder and the doc has me on a NO fat diet.  I'm kind of stuck on the no fat foods, other than veggies and fruits and rice, as I don't usually cook them.  If anybody has any recipes or ideas, please share!

I surely appreciate any and all ideas and recipes you might have.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
~~James Thurber

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: June 17, 2007, 08:19:51 am »

As ya'll know, I'm facing surgery to remove my gall bladder and the doc has me on a NO fat diet.  I'm kind of stuck on the no fat foods, other than veggies and fruits and rice, as I don't usually cook them.  If anybody has any recipes or ideas, please share!

I'm fairly certain tofu is no-fat, and it's a *complete* protein (which you need!).

Best way to prepare ahead of time: get it out of the package, squish it so all the liquid in it comes out, and then marinate it in something else.  Don't try to flavor it like meat, that always ends up tasting like fake-meat to me.  I like going sweet .. cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, etc.  (sorry it's not a recipe per say .. I don't do recipes.  I do "stand at the stove and throw things in the pot")

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: June 17, 2007, 08:28:40 am »

As ya'll know, I'm facing surgery to remove my gall bladder and the doc has me on a NO fat diet. 

How long are you supposed to be on this?

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #3: June 17, 2007, 08:30:11 am »

Well, fruits and veggies covers a lot of territory itself.  Cheesy

Favorite things to do with fruits in general besides eating them plain:  
  • Grab whatever random stuff you've got and chop up for a fruit salad.  (It's really hard to screw this up; anything will go with almost anything.  If you're using something like pears or apples or bananas that will go brown, squirt 'em with a little lemon juice after chopping to prevent that.)  
  • Serve 2-3 varieties of chopped up fruit with some nonfat yogurt.  (I usually add granola to that for a meal, but it's got way too much fat.  I don't know if there's something you could substitute...  Maybe someone will have an idea?)
  • Grill, especially fresh pineapple or peaches.  
  • Cut stuff like peaches or apples in half, drizzle with honey, and roast in the oven at 350 or so until they're nice and tender.  (With apples, then you can take it one step further and smash 'em up for homemade applesauce.)
  • Frozen yogurt:  1 1/2 cups nonfat plain yogurt, 1 1/2 cups fruit puree, 1/2 cup sugar.  Mix together, chill for an hour, freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.  (You might want to check it halfway through the recommended freeze time, though, and make sure it's not setting up too quickly.)
  • Along the same lines, sorbet.  2 cups sugar, 2 cups water.  Put in a pan and boil until the sugar is just dissolved, then cool it to room temperature.  Add 1 1/2 cups of your favorite fruit juice or puree and freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
  • Jell-O based recipes.  I know, I know, Jell-O salad is, like, Grandma's contribution to the family pitch-in or something.  But I like it.  Don't have any specific recipes, but it's an idea of stuff to look for.
  • Smoothies!  Put a handful of frozen fruit in a blender with enough juice to just cover it and blend until you've worked all (or at least most) of the chunks out.  (Main thing to watch out for here is not getting too many acidic things all in one place, or it'll be really sour.)

Veggies I don't have as many ideas for; I tend to eat them raw, or just steamed or sauteed plain (and sautee won't work for you anyway since it involves fat).  Grilling is again a really nice option here for some veggies, and I love me some salad (no-fat dressing option:  mix equal parts honey and mustard).  I think roasting tends to involve fat for veggies, though.  Sad  Soup, maybe?  With beans for protein?  (I'm not 100% sure that would be no-fat, just throwing out an idea.)

You might check here:
http://www.recipezaar.com

I don't remember if they have a "no fat" category, but I know they at least have a "low-fat" category that you could probably sift through to find fat-free options.

And since Shad reminded me...  For complete proteins, look for bean-and-rice combos too.  (I think beans are no-fat.  Aren't they?)  When you put 'em together they make a complete protein.  Smiley  What exactly to do with the beans and rice I'm not sure, since most of the things I do involve fat in some way (either sauteeing veggies in it, or in cheese on top) and they don't taste quite the same without it.  But hopefully that'll be a direction to go at least.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: June 17, 2007, 11:30:41 am »

I do know Angel Food Cake is no fat, actually can't have any fat due to the fact that any fat would ruin the egg whites. Also, it tastes great, to me.

The recipe I use is http://www.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=R027838

Also the Chocolate Angel Food Cake is really really good and no fat.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #5: June 17, 2007, 12:19:05 pm »

I do know Angel Food Cake is no fat, actually can't have any fat due to the fact that any fat would ruin the egg whites. Also, it tastes great, to me.

Mmmmm, angel food cake with strawberries...  *drool*

The chocolate version wouldn't strictly be no fat, though. Cocoa powder does have fat in it (at least, the nutrition facts on the can I've got says it does, 1 gram per teaspoon).  The fat only interferes with whipping the egg whites; once they're foamy, the amount in cocoa powder at least won't hurt them.  (Now, that only adds 12g fat to the whole cake, which if you divide it up into 8-12 servings isn't much per serving...  So whether it's feasible for Celtee probably depends on how strict the no-fat rule is exactly.)

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: June 17, 2007, 01:24:01 pm »

How long are you supposed to be on this?

Honestly?  I've absolutely NO idea. Mr. Tuning, PAC, put me on it on Friday when he diagnosed me with gall bladder probs and, until my consult on Tuesday, I've no idea if the surgeon will want me to continue with this or not.

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

~~James Thurber
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: June 17, 2007, 01:26:28 pm »

I'm fairly certain tofu is no-fat, and it's a *complete* protein (which you need!).

Best way to prepare ahead of time: get it out of the package, squish it so all the liquid in it comes out, and then marinate it in something else.  Don't try to flavor it like meat, that always ends up tasting like fake-meat to me.  I like going sweet .. cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, etc.  (sorry it's not a recipe per say .. I don't do recipes.  I do "stand at the stove and throw things in the pot")

I also cook the way you do so I know the problems you're having.  Wink

Thanks for the idea, tho. Now I have to find out if one of the two local grocery stores carries tofu.  Grin

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

~~James Thurber
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: June 17, 2007, 01:31:38 pm »

Favorite things to do with fruits in general besides eating them plain: 

Ooooh, your ideas look REALLY good!  I do have a question or two tho.  For the frozen yogurt and sorbet, if one doesn't have an ice cream freezer, could one freeze it in a regular freezer?  How would that work, do you know?

Since I like beans, and rice, having them for dinner shouldn't be too much of a horrible stretch for me.  Cheesy  Now I just need some recipes for combining the two of them together.  Smiley

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

~~James Thurber
Celtee
Staff
High Adept Member

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: June 17, 2007, 01:34:35 pm »

I do know Angel Food Cake is no fat...

Angel Food Cake.....drool!

The only problem I'd have with Angel Food Cake is MY MOTHER.  She's allergic to eggs but she would INHALE the cake!  Grin  (Then she pays for it with numerous bathroom visits.)

However, I DO know where my miniature Angel Food Cake pan is...I could make her a cake of her own so she could eat it all with NO problems.  Grin

"It's only forever
Not long at all"
~~Jareth

"Time may change me
But I can't trace time
But I can't trace time"
Changes
~~ David Bowie

~~James Thurber
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: June 17, 2007, 01:49:49 pm »

Ooooh, your ideas look REALLY good!  I do have a question or two tho.  For the frozen yogurt and sorbet, if one doesn't have an ice cream freezer, could one freeze it in a regular freezer?  How would that work, do you know?

The problem with just sticking it in the freezer is that if you don't agitate it while it's freezing, it'll just freeze in a solid chunk instead of all creamy and scoopable.  (Of course, if you're like me and leave the yogurt in the ice cream freezer too long, it does that anyway.)  Couple of ways to deal with this...

1.  Let it freeze solid, and sort of scrape/shave it off with a fork or the edge of a spoon, so you get kind of a snow-cone or granita thing going on.  (This would work especially well with the sorbet made with juice, not as well with chunks, I think.)

2.  Alternative freezing methods.  Cheesy  I saw a program on Food Network one time that had a segment where they were making ice cream...  in a trash bag.  The general strategy was to seal up the ice cream (or frozen yogurt or sorbet, in this case) base VERY WELL in a big ziplock bag, making absolutely sure it won't leak.  (You might even want to double bag it...)  Then fill the trash bag with ice, put the ziplock in, and throw it around for a while.  I think 20-30 minutes?  Though again you might want to check the yogurt earlier.  Stuff should be not quite as frozen as soft serve when you're done, and then you'll want to put it into a regular freezer to firm up and "ripen" a little more.  You could also probably rig other similar devices, but that's the general idea--surround it with cold and keep it moving.  Smiley

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #11: June 17, 2007, 01:52:33 pm »

2.  Alternative freezing methods.  Cheesy  I saw a program on Food Network one time that had a segment where they were making ice cream...  in a trash bag.  The general strategy was to seal up the ice cream (or frozen yogurt or sorbet, in this case) base VERY WELL in a big ziplock bag, making absolutely sure it won't leak.  (You might even want to double bag it...)  Then fill the trash bag with ice, put the ziplock in, and throw it around for a while.  I think 20-30 minutes?  Though again you might want to check the yogurt earlier.  Stuff should be not quite as frozen as soft serve when you're done, and then you'll want to put it into a regular freezer to firm up and "ripen" a little more.  You could also probably rig other similar devices, but that's the general idea--surround it with cold and keep it moving.  Smiley

I should add the disclaimer that I haven't actually tried this with frozen yogurt or sorbet, or seen it tried.  I'm making an assumption that it will work since other methods of freezing ice cream work for these items.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 17, 2007, 02:18:49 pm »

The chocolate version wouldn't strictly be no fat, though. Cocoa powder does have fat in it (at least, the nutrition facts on the can I've got says it does, 1 gram per teaspoon).

Huh, I was just going by what the nutrition facts said on the cake (I have the physical better homes and garden cookbook with all this nifty nutrition facts) So it might, but since I don't have the coco powder on hand that I made the chocolate one last time (It was Hershey's if I remember correct) I can't check mine. Though my special dark cocoa powder has .5 grams of fat in it per teaspoon I believe.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #13: June 17, 2007, 02:29:39 pm »

Huh, I was just going by what the nutrition facts said on the cake (I have the physical better homes and garden cookbook with all this nifty nutrition facts) So it might, but since I don't have the coco powder on hand that I made the chocolate one last time (It was Hershey's if I remember correct) I can't check mine. Though my special dark cocoa powder has .5 grams of fat in it per teaspoon I believe.

Huh.  My apologies; a little searching online tells me Hershey's has .5 grams per tablespoon, which is only 2g in the entire cake, which is so close to nothing per serving they probably just rounded down to zero.  It looks like there's more variation in cocoa powders than I'd expected.  You learn something new every day!  Grin

Celtee:  I think the moral is, check your cocoa powder's fat content before doing this.  Cheesy

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Phoibos
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2009, 10:15:12 am

Religion: Hellenic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 17, 2007, 03:44:27 pm »

Huh.  My apologies; a little searching online tells me Hershey's has .5 grams per tablespoon, which is only 2g in the entire cake, which is so close to nothing per serving they probably just rounded down to zero.  It looks like there's more variation in cocoa powders than I'd expected.  You learn something new every day!  Grin

That's pretty typical:  When something is labeled as "0g of fat" that means that they managed to get the per serving amount to less than a 1/2 gram, and rounded down.  I don't know whether the FDA or any other regulatory agency controls the use of the term "nonfat" or "fat free" to guarantee total lack of fat; that is something to investigate before totally trusting labels.

Also, confirm with the doc what precisely he/she means by "no fat".  It could be that foods that round down to 0g fat are ok, as long as you keep to a single "serving" based on the label.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)