The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 20, 2020, 03:53:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 03:53:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Aloe vera  (Read 2624 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 15, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »

My aloe plant was doing really well -- despite the fact that I am historically unable to grow succulents of any kind -- but it's started to look a little sad lately. The color is faded all over the plant, and one of the leaves is looking like it wants to turn brown, and it's not as full as it was.

My MIL, who has a fabulous aloe and started this one for me, told me to water it once a week, and leave it alone the rest of the time. She knows my history with succulents! I've been doing that faithfully for almost a year, and it was growing well and looking really promising.

Is it possible I overwatered it? Or could it be a lack of sunlight? It's in the sunniest window in the house, but I live in the northeast, and during the winter even that window isn't very sunny because of the angle of the sun and the lack of daylight.

Any advice is appreciated! I'd like to keep this one alive.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 15, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

Is it possible I overwatered it? Or could it be a lack of sunlight? It's in the sunniest window in the house, but I live in the northeast, and during the winter even that window isn't very sunny because of the angle of the sun and the lack of daylight.

It's entirely possible you're over watering, which is the kiss of death for aloes.  The soil should be bone dry before you water (you'll need to stick your finger into it to check).  And then give it another week just to be safe.  Benign neglect is your aloe's best friend.

Light isn't usually an issue unless it's in direct, hot sunlight all day or in a light-free, north-facing window.  Aloes do just fine with bright, mostly indirect light.

Brina
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 15, 2011, 08:05:55 pm »

It's entirely possible you're over watering, which is the kiss of death for aloes.  The soil should be bone dry before you water (you'll need to stick your finger into it to check).  And then give it another week just to be safe.  Benign neglect is your aloe's best friend.

Light isn't usually an issue unless it's in direct, hot sunlight all day or in a light-free, north-facing window.  Aloes do just fine with bright, mostly indirect light.

Brina

Thanks, Brina! If I start watering less, will it probably recover? Or is this one already a goner? In hindsight, maintaining the same watering schedule through the winter as I had in the summer was a bonehead move. LOL

Good to know about the light, it should be fine where it's at, then.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 15, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »

Thanks, Brina! If I start watering less, will it probably recover? Or is this one already a goner?

Depends on how far gone it is.  Best to just leave it alone for a while and see if it recovers.

Brina
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 16, 2011, 12:55:20 am »

Depends on how far gone it is.  Best to just leave it alone for a while and see if it recovers.

Brina
Sounds like if it's still green, it may survive. All of our aloes are outdoor, warm climate plants that require absolutely no care from us. When I grow them indoors, I follow the rain rule. When it rains, I water it a little. We're going through quite a drought now and all the aloes I see around the island are doing incredibly well. As yew mentioned, leave the soil quite dry, and when you start to think about watering it, give it some extra days if not a week, and then water it later.

I was wondering, do you have the larger one with faint spots (if it has spots at all) or do you have the smaller darker green one with the rather distinguishable spots? The thicker, less-spotted one is the cultivating type which is excellent for consumption and all its traditional and medicinal uses. The darker spotted ones are the garden variety and don't work as well to use or consume and are really mostly for show.

Please help my babies with a click.
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 16, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »

The other things I've known to make aloes go grey is rootbinding.

They reproduce by producing clone plants.  If you don't separate out the clone plants into separate pots, basically they choke the life out of each other.  If it looks like you have an extra plant in there, carefullly pull it apart from the parent plant and put it in its own pot, and they both should perk up.

Rayvenn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 05, 2011, 04:13:36 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 16, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »

I live in northern alberta canada so I dont know about aloe very much. I do know that plants of that type tend to be very resilient. If you just let it be for a bit it will probably bounce back. I have an aloe inside that I have had for yrs and I never water it.

Light and Love,
Rayvenn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)