The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 04, 2020, 05:31:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2020, 05:31:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any other Freemasons?  (Read 6718 times)
GabrielWithoutWings
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 10, 2011, 03:32:54 am
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic Pessimist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 25, 2011, 04:27:25 am »

I see that Raziel summed it up perfectly, but just because I already had it typed out before I noticed....
 From the Emulation Working of the Lecture of the First Degree, Masonry is ' a peculiar system of morality, veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols.' It can be considered a philosophical companion to religion, but in essence it's a secular fraternal organisation, traditionally open to men, that all walks of life and faith can participate in. Basically, it promotes morality, sets to strengthen Brotherly love, and provide charitable action to the whole of mankind.

Certain elements vary lodge to lodge, but generally Masons are guys that take heed to masonic values(which have already been elaborated on above), and strive to further learn them&incorporate them into their lives, who meet in fraternal brotherhood, and promote charitable action usually by taking part in local charities and such. 

How is your (speaking to anyone) membership doing these days?

Usually when I encounter Masons, there aren't any under 50 or so.  I've seen the opinion that it's starting to fall out of favor and die off being flirted with.

Cease then and let me alone,
that I may take comfort a little before I go whence I shall not return,
even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;
a land of darkness, as darkness itself,
and of the shadow of death without any order,
and where the light is as darkness.

- Job

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 25, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »

Usually when I encounter Masons, there aren't any under 50 or so.  I've seen the opinion that it's starting to fall out of favor and die off being flirted with.
That's not uncommon. Depending on district, the ages of acceptance are usually 18, 21, and more rarely 25, however I've heard many Masons voice their opinions saying that it's ideally meant for those of at least 30. I think it has something to do with maturity. I'm currently 27, and am the youngest member of my lodge, although I belong to a small lodge in a small town. Out of about 50 people, we have about 15 good monthly attenders, quite different from some of the Grand Lodges. At our Festive Board, I ran into other guests around my age range, quite a few in their late 20's, and early 30's, but on average you see around late 30's plus, including those in ill health because of age, that you only see now and again.

There's been different stages of time when Masonry was "fashionable," which it has waned in fairly recent times, with more involvement in charities and what not, but there is an increased interest among younger members with the esoteric elements, such as traditions like the Hermetic/Qabalistic tradition popular with occultists, and I'm not just saying that because I  happen to be one of them.

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Drgong
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 28, 2011, 05:36:10 pm

Religion: LDS -- "Mormon"

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 26, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »

well, just a few years ago, in NC the typical mason was in his sixties....Nowadays not that it doesn't have it share of older men, but a lot of lodges are getting guys under 35 to join.  In the US a lot of men become masons to be shiners.  In addition there is a few that are curious about the more symbolic elements, and many just like a place where they can get away from there wife for a night and be with the guys.   

This is a gentle reminder to myself, by the god(s) remember to leave a quote to what you are replying to.   This board prefers quoting.
puggily
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 02, 2012, 05:57:44 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 07, 2011, 09:51:01 am »

Just wondering if their was any other Freemasons on this forum...
Brother here!
The Monk
Last Login:November 19, 2017, 01:44:08 pm

Religion: Celtic Deist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 14, 2011, 01:46:12 pm »

Me too.

Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 14, 2011, 09:46:07 pm »

Up until my great grandpa died my family had a long history with the masons going back generations, but since then nobody's really cared enough to join.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 15, 2011, 01:30:28 am »

Me too.

Fraternal Greetings Brethren.

If anyone, Mason or not, has the time, here's a recent lecture from an Irish Mason that touches on possible pre-Christian influences elaborating out of his book, The Craft and the Cross under the WEOFM.

http://irishfreemasonry.com/index.php?news&nid=27
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:33:14 pm by SunflowerP, Reason: fixing link, I hope » Logged

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)