The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
February 28, 2021, 10:46:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 28, 2021, 10:46:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Can relationships with gods be...fun?  (Read 9655 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 31, 2011, 04:57:31 pm »

This may seem like a silly question, but I've been reading material from certain authors who shall remain nameless, and I've detected an undercurrent of...solemnity, almost gloominess, to the tune of: "Cultivating a relationship with a deity is hard work. They sometimes push you to explore sides of yourself that you would rather keep in the dark. Pain and suffering can be acceptable offerings for some gods." 

I wanted to come back to this... I really do think that this is possibly largely a reaction to a fluffy attitude of "if it feels good, it's for me!" and for a Hedonist that might work fine. And you certainly can embrace a philosophy of Hedonism and be a polytheist at the same time. But I think that probably for many people, even embracing Hedonism as an active, intentional choice brings with it challenges and quandries and uncertainty and even discomfort. (Ironically, perhaps... but making it your intention to embrace joy is actually not easy.) But there seems to be an attitude sometimes that says that if you've rejected conventional "oppressive" religions, that you have no rules,  should not be challenged by your path, and you get claimed by a smiling goddess who showers unconditional love down upon you. These are the people who will rewrite the Morrighan into a lactating mother figure who is just misunderstood.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a very, very positive approach... but I do think that if you act like the dark parts of life, the difficulties, etc just don't exist or are supposed to be ignored/squelched/denied, that others are likely to say, "No, wait... it IS hard. It is challenging. It isn't lollipops and sunshine. It's work. It's plumbing your deep recesses. It's reaching outside of yourself. It's learning and growing and stretching. That's not a bad thing, it's just part of it." But in the way of things - communication being what it is - that comes across as gloomy and a huge downer, like if you're having fun, you're fluffy and don't take your religion seriously. And of course, some people really do think not having fun = piety. Or perhaps for their path, that really is the case. Shamans and magic men in many cultures aren't having fun, necessarily. They have a purpose above fun.

But honestly, if I didn't think my path was fun (intriguing, interesting, stimulating, inspiring, motivating, joyful, source of happiness, etc...) I wouldn't be on it. That doesn't mean that I don't find it challenging at times, or that it's not hard work, or that I don't take it seriously.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

YoungSoulRebel
Apprentice
Last Login:February 14, 2016, 05:21:55 pm

Religion: Hellenismos (Boeotian)

Gravatar

Dexys Midnight Blunder

Blog entries (0)

youngsoulrebel

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 11, 2011, 02:00:54 pm »

I wanted to come back to this... I really do think that this is possibly largely a reaction to a fluffy attitude of "if it feels good, it's for me!" and for a Hedonist that might work fine. And you certainly can embrace a philosophy of Hedonism and be a polytheist at the same time. But I think that probably for many people, even embracing Hedonism as an active, intentional choice brings with it challenges and quandries and uncertainty and even discomfort. (Ironically, perhaps... but making it your intention to embrace joy is actually not easy.) But there seems to be an attitude sometimes that says that if you've rejected conventional "oppressive" religions, that you have no rules,  should not be challenged by your path, and you get claimed by a smiling goddess who showers unconditional love down upon you. These are the people who will rewrite the Morrighan into a lactating mother figure who is just misunderstood.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a very, very positive approach... but I do think that if you act like the dark parts of life, the difficulties, etc just don't exist or are supposed to be ignored/squelched/denied, that others are likely to say, "No, wait... it IS hard. It is challenging. It isn't lollipops and sunshine. It's work. It's plumbing your deep recesses. It's reaching outside of yourself. It's learning and growing and stretching. That's not a bad thing, it's just part of it." But in the way of things - communication being what it is - that comes across as gloomy and a huge downer, like if you're having fun, you're fluffy and don't take your religion seriously. And of course, some people really do think not having fun = piety. Or perhaps for their path, that really is the case. Shamans and magic men in many cultures aren't having fun, necessarily. They have a purpose above fun.

But honestly, if I didn't think my path was fun (intriguing, interesting, stimulating, inspiring, motivating, joyful, source of happiness, etc...) I wouldn't be on it. That doesn't mean that I don't find it challenging at times, or that it's not hard work, or that I don't take it seriously.

Quoted for truth.

Honestly, Eros is a pretty challenging deity.  He's not all rainbows and sunshine, but at this point in the relationship, he's coming at me from a point of knowing that I've been hard enough on myself this last couple years, so He's putting me to tasks that are more apparently joyful.  At the same time, though, He's a fertility deity, and one of love and youth and passions; his darkness is more muted than it is in similar deities.

"The grace and happiness with which one lives one's life is the only confirmation that any of us need to know that we worship the Gods in a manner that is acceptable to Them." --Lesley Mandytinou
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 11, 2011, 02:12:03 pm »

He's not all rainbows and sunshine, but at this point in the relationship, he's coming at me from a point of knowing that I've been hard enough on myself this last couple years, so He's putting me to tasks that are more apparently joyful. 

That's kinda-sorta the way it was with me and Ausir at the beginning.  He didn't give me any hard work.  Now that things are more stable in my life, he's given me more challenges.   Wink
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 12, 2011, 03:29:57 am »

Well, is it possible?

I just realized this is the same sort of question I ask my kinky friends: "Is it always about exploring the deep recesses of the mind or can you just spank someone 'cause it's fun?"

2 questions with just one answer:- why not?

On a related note, has anyone ever had a deity come and tell them to "lighten up"?

Wait until you have Hades tell you that you are taking thing too seriously and that you need to chill out more! One of the most surreal things everWink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 12, 2011, 11:44:42 am »

On a related note, has anyone ever had a deity come and tell them to "lighten up"?

Last month we did our first temple ritual with our Newbie member.  I was working *really really hard* to make a good impression on the guy.  I didn't want to make any mistakes, because then he might learn things incorrectly!  Well, my friend and long-term ritual partner screwed up the water/natron purifications.  I suspect it was because he was nervous too.  Being nervous seems to = more mistakes, IME.  Then I found out that he left his cell phone on, which wouldn't be a huge deal, except that his ring tone was the Rick Roll

We all just burst out laughing in the middle of our very solemn ritual to Sutekh.  The newbie, a devotee of Sutekh, said that he might be throwing in some chaos to get us to lighten up.

Wink

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)