The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 18, 2021, 11:11:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2021, 11:11:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Shinto Query Regarding Two Souls?  (Read 2141 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 24, 2011, 12:42:28 pm »

(I put this here because I'm not sure that Shinto practitioners would necessarily consider themselves pagan, so...)

I have a question regarding the Shinto perspective on souls. I was reading up on Kami on Wikipedia, because I do that from time to time (don't ask me why, as I don't really know) and I noticed something I have not noticed there before:

Traditionally, kami possess two souls, one gentle (nigi-mitama) and the other assertive (ara-mitama).

What I interpreted from that sentence is that one soul is gentle, or passive; one soul is assertive, or aggressive. I then followed the links to the wiki page on Mitama, which discusses both of those kinds of souls (along with two other possibles types of souls), but described the gentle soul as the "normal, functional" soul, and the assertive soul as "rough and violent."

So my first question: is the assertive soul, the ara-mitama, truly violent, or is it merely assertive/aggressive/dominant, with the nigi-mitama, the gentle soul, being the passive/submissive soul?

My second question: these soul parts are given in reference to kami, which by definition includes the dead; does it also pertain to the living? Do living people have two souls, or do they acquire/attain a second soul after they die, or something else entirely?

Also, if anyone has any resources on Shinto, or specifically on the Shinto perspective on souls, please feel free to share! I have long held an interest in Shinto, I've just never gotten around to doing the research I want to.

Thanks so much!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 27, 2011, 10:51:37 pm »

Also, if anyone has any resources on Shinto, or specifically on the Shinto perspective on souls, please feel free to share! I have long held an interest in Shinto, I've just never gotten around to doing the research I want to.

Thanks so much!

The book I have, Shinto: The Kami Way by Dr. Sokyo Ono, says that the ancient Japanese (and thus, Shinto, I guess) believe that the souls continue after death and people give them offerings to receive blessings from them.   It doesn't mention the two souls. 

Have you been to this site? http://www.tsubakishrine.org/

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 28, 2011, 10:26:10 am »

I haven't- thanks!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 28, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »

Have you been to this site? http://www.tsubakishrine.org/

I would recommend starting here. Rev. Barrish is considered the best person to ask about Shinto- esp. if you're in the US. On the Tsubaki website, there should be a free book- Kami no Michi- which is a good resource for learning about Shinto.

I unfortunately haven't read much on the aspects of souls- human, kami, or otherwise. It's hard to find information that goes beyond the basics of the faith.

I was recently shoved into Shinto by my Kemetic gods. It's been an interesting journey to learn more about the religion. Sadly, resources for us Americans is hard to come by, but still, it's definitely interesting to learn.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)