The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 06:42:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 06:42:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Modern Deity Renditions?  (Read 50624 times)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: March 29, 2011, 12:00:22 pm »

I do really prefer the ancient iconography actually. Something is captured in it which modern artwork lacks. I'm not sure how to describe it beyond that. I guess its the feeling it evokes for me. If I were to get woowoo about it, I'd say that ancient iconography, including *some* modern renditions done in that style, taps into the body of god. How and why I'm not sure, perhaps it is related to the opening of the god's image (in the form of statues, reliefs, etc) in ancient times, with some of that being carried through to artwork which mimics it. As I said, a bit woowoo, but there you go.

What does "woowoo" mean?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: March 29, 2011, 12:00:46 pm »

I have various styles I use. Some are more serious (for example- my icon is a serious portrait of Set) and some aren't. The gods appear to me in many ways, and usually the art I create is a reflection or recreation of a mental image I've gotten from them. So in some ways, it's art that was inspired by them, or given to me by them (does that make sense?).

When you get down to brass tacks, I think it really does depend on the god in question, and their relationship with you, as to whether it's okaty or not to have modern/silly/different representations of them. I personally like to see the variety. It's cool to see how others see my gods... even if it doesn't always agree with me.

-Devo

I agree with you, too!

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #32: March 29, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »

http://von186.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d30oi9l

Even though the piece is less than formal, does it not show some form of the god? Set can be a bit of a diva. It's a part of his nature. It makes something that is overwhelming a bit more approachable. I think that is sometimes needed to help broach that gap- esp with the more primeval, overwhelming gods in the pantheon.

This, honestly, would be one image that is waaaaaay past where I draw the line.  

I don't so much have a problem with the gender-bending.  I've heard more than one reference to Sutekh as a Queer God.  Gods aren't bound by gender the way we are, anyway.

The problem I have with this image is that it seems to depict Sutekh as a spoiled child.

I am coming from a place of believing that the Gods are higher beings.   If any of you were to come up to me and say "Nehet, you're acting like a spoiled brat," I would take it as a criticism...possibly an insult.  If that's offensive to me, how much more offensive would it be to a God?  

OK, Sutekh whapps us upside the head every now and then if we're being obtuse.  That's not him being spoiled...that's him trying to help us get out of our comfort zone and grow spiritually.  

It makes something that is overwhelming a bit more approachable. I think that is sometimes needed to help broach that gap- esp with the more primeval, overwhelming gods in the pantheon.

My take on that?  Sometimes the Gods are primeval and overwhelming.  That's because they're Gods.  I see them as the forces behind the forces of nature.  I want to open myself up to experiencing them as that.  I don't get those OMG religious experiences too often, but I treasure the ones I have had.  I think I'd have missed out on these experiences if if I'd tried to make the Gods more "accessable".
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:June 19, 2022, 03:47:05 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #33: March 29, 2011, 12:01:29 pm »

Thank you. I appreciate it.  Honestly, what I want to do with most of my art is to capture the feel of Catholic icons and transfer it to Pagan art.  It just feels right to me.  Catholic icons were meant to take the deity out of the real world, even Jesus, who was in our world, and create this transcendental version of them; always peaceful, serene, regal... So I am glad that it comes across to you in that manner. Smiley

I have on my Giant List Of Things To Do Someday "learn how to make icons Orthodox-style".  Partly as an ancestor thing, and partly because the stylisation of icons has always felt appropriate to me for the netjeru.

My mother and I went to the Museum of Russian Icons last time she visited, which was awesome.

Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: March 29, 2011, 12:09:49 pm »

This, honestly, would be one image that is waaaaaay past where I draw the line.  

I don't so much have a problem with the gender-bending.  I've heard more than one reference to Sutekh as a Queer God.  Gods aren't bound by gender the way we are, anyway.

The problem I have with this image is that it seems to depict Sutekh as a spoiled child.

I am coming from a place of believing that the Gods are higher beings.   If any of you were to come up to me and say "Nehet, you're acting like a spoiled brat," I would take it as a criticism...possibly an insult.  If that's offensive to me, how much more offensive would it be to a God?  

OK, Sutekh whapps us upside the head every now and then if we're being obtuse.  That's not him being spoiled...that's him trying to help us get out of our comfort zone and grow spiritually.  

That really is a matter of how he approaches you. Ironically, that piece started from a "Princess Cupcake"- that's what they're called. And he told me he wasn't a princess.

When it comes to whether he is spoiled or not, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Spoiled wasn't the effect I was going for, it was more of a case of Set gets what Set wants. And sometimes, Set wants and aweful lot. Not so much of a spoiled child, but more of a Diva (in the sense of a super star, a singer, that sort of thing). I understand that gods are bigger than us, but we all have our faults, our issues, our quirks. He didn't seem to mind that I was sorta 'pushing his buttons' by creating the piece. So I did. As I said up there, the images I create come from the gods themselves, IMO. I know most of you say the chibi style isn't best, but it's what I have the easiest time drawing, and so I tend to draw in that style frequently.

But in the end- different strokes for different folks. What's ironic about people getting up in arms about my rendition of Set is that, someone else had a similar vision of him:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=14184.0

As I said, I think that art is personal, and for me, reflects my personal relationship to my god(s).

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Nefersedt
Apprentice
Last Login:August 10, 2011, 05:23:26 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Wepwawet cultist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: March 29, 2011, 12:37:17 pm »

What does "woowoo" mean?

It's a skeptic's term for refering to mystical/spiritual stuff.

My livejournal - I write about jackal deities. A lot.
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: March 29, 2011, 01:03:09 pm »

My take on that?  Sometimes the Gods are primeval and overwhelming.  That's because they're Gods.  I see them as the forces behind the forces of nature.  I want to open myself up to experiencing them as that.  I don't get those OMG religious experiences too often, but I treasure the ones I have had.  I think I'd have missed out on these experiences if if I'd tried to make the Gods more "accessable".

And for me, knowing Hermes, I could (as mentioned before) potentially draw him in a non-godly manner, or at least like a piece of work that was non-godly (I mean, there are limits, of course.) But my friend follows Epona. I get that primeval, overwhelming, just Awesome feeling from her. Like she's ancient and a forceand would put a hoof up my ass if I needed it. Her, I could never, ever portray or even like looking at a piece of art that would disrespect her...

Not saying that I disrespect Hermes, or that I don't think he's powerful. He's just... his personality is different. I'd never stick him in a tutu, though. Smiley

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: March 29, 2011, 01:04:03 pm »

I have on my Giant List Of Things To Do Someday "learn how to make icons Orthodox-style".  Partly as an ancestor thing, and partly because the stylisation of icons has always felt appropriate to me for the netjeru.

My mother and I went to the Museum of Russian Icons last time she visited, which was awesome.

I have a book that explains how they stretched the materials to go over the wood to put it on and all that, and apparently, there's a book out there that takes you through it step by step. It's.. labor-intensive and pretty damned impressive.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 29, 2011, 01:04:25 pm »

It's a skeptic's term for refering to mystical/spiritual stuff.

Thank you for the clarification! Heh.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Janos
Last Login:March 31, 2011, 12:43:39 pm

Religion: Shinto/Kemetic/Pagan

Blog entries (0)

szarka.studio

Ignore
« Reply #39: March 29, 2011, 01:59:13 pm »

That really is a matter of how he approaches you. Ironically, that piece started from a "Princess Cupcake"- that's what they're called. And he told me he wasn't a princess.

When it comes to whether he is spoiled or not, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Spoiled wasn't the effect I was going for, it was more of a case of Set gets what Set wants. And sometimes, Set wants and aweful lot. Not so much of a spoiled child, but more of a Diva (in the sense of a super star, a singer, that sort of thing). I understand that gods are bigger than us, but we all have our faults, our issues, our quirks. He didn't seem to mind that I was sorta 'pushing his buttons' by creating the piece. So I did. As I said up there, the images I create come from the gods themselves, IMO. I know most of you say the chibi style isn't best, but it's what I have the easiest time drawing, and so I tend to draw in that style frequently.

But in the end- different strokes for different folks. What's ironic about people getting up in arms about my rendition of Set is that, someone else had a similar vision of him:

As I said, I think that art is personal, and for me, reflects my personal relationship to my god(s).

-Devo

I have a few things here that I'd like to say. To me its a little silly to be reacting so harshly to one persons art. Which to me (I hope I'm reading this right) is a difference of artistic tastes & opinions.

Chibi art is one of many MANY forms of art, to some its not appealing due to the simplicity & japanese nature of it, some don't like cartoonizations, anime/manga styles, comic book styles, etc.. But all forms of artistic expression are correct and fine in my eyes. Each style of art from Digital to Traditional, Serious to Funny is all an expression of each person, their stylistics, the artistic capabilities *because none of us are perfect nor are masters in all forms of art if masters at all* & art is their own take on a subject.

If this is not why people are upset over this piece & its just a case that people seriously feel this piece crosses some sort of line with representing the "correct" version of a diety. I feel your wrong.

Here are some reasons I feel why.

One whose to say that a deity can't appear to someone in one form & change for another, I feel our views of deities will all vary because we ourselves vary so much. It too is not our place what so ever to assume what a god would or wouldn't find acceptable in the form of art.  If you created a piece of art from your heart & had good intentions, blessings, etc... I feel there should be no reason for a god not to accept it. Its an expression of devotion no matter what style its in from child scribbles to cartoony to traditional to realistic. now mind you if you had spiteful intentions then yeah I could see a lack of gratitude from a deity but yet again that is between that deity & the devotee not anyone elses place to critique..

Also, yes gods are on a far higher scale then we humans are. They are powerful beings, whom we can't even fathom to fully understand, get, etc... but with that we are just humans. We don't understand or relate well to the intangible aspects of life/gods/etc...

In an easy way to explain. Soil is precious, earth itself is something magical & intangible in the way it works its mysteries. We can't create earth/soil. We can improve the soil quality, but we can't obtain soil from nothing. With that though if we were to raise Soil up on such a high pedestal & go OH HOLY SOIL I revere thee! You'd never walk anywhere for fear of stepping on its holy-ness, you'd never plant or grow anything, you'd never truly have a relationship with it. But if you understand that you won't ever truly get its complexity, still honor it & its life giving qualities, let it teach you about growing, utilize it for planting for your own growth, etc.. it makes it all the more spiritual & special & thus a better relationship then just blind reverence to a pedestal set too high.

We aren't demi-gods, we aren't mini-gods, we're people/humans. We aren't complex, we're dumb, and blind in comparison. We can't grasp the intangible forces of nature & the gods. But. We can close our eyes, give that intangibility form & grasp that. That's all we as humans can hope to do with forces so great. If you think you can do it any other way then you really are just talking to space IMO.

- Janos
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #40: March 30, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »

-Devo

Aarvark in a tiara, yes.  Neb.y plays with imagery in my head - and the image was entirely appropriate.  Funnily enough, though, I'd not try to draw Him that way (and not just because I have no artistic talent).

Ah, well.  To each, his own.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: March 30, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

Funnily enough, though, I'd not try to draw Him that way (and not just because I have no artistic talent).

I guess I don't understand the specifics of why? Is there a reason why you'd be willing to write about it, but not draw it?

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: March 30, 2011, 03:57:30 pm »

By the way... if you ever -do- draw a chibi Hermes, shoot the link my way, please? Smiley

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: March 30, 2011, 04:04:39 pm »

We aren't demi-gods, we aren't mini-gods, we're people/humans. We aren't complex, we're dumb, and blind in comparison. We can't grasp the intangible forces of nature & the gods. But. We can close our eyes, give that intangibility form & grasp that. That's all we as humans can hope to do with forces so great. If you think you can do it any other way then you really are just talking to space IMO.

- Janos

So yes, while I understand and mostly agree with your soil analogy, which I feel is very well-put... there are still times when you don't want to pour Clorox into the ground.

OK, this link is NOT safe for work or children, so keep that in mind.

Here's an example of when I think things are inappropriate, even with a deity who seems like he'd be cool with most stuff. I might be wrong- Hermes could be fine with it -- but to ME, personally? It steps beyond that point and into disrespect.

http://aiconx.deviantart.com/art/Ares-and-Hermes-177530120

I haven't taken the time to see if there are any Kemetic pictures like this, and to be honest, I don't -want- to, because, well... why spread the offense there, too?

MODIFYING THIS!

However, something like this?

http://senseialicia.deviantart.com/art/STWG-Hermes-Conundrum-151980357

Actually pretty spot-on when it comes to his trickster nature. So... difficult for me at times to determine what's "right" and what's "wrong" in depictions.  And he's not even on the 'regal' kind of scale like the Netjeru are.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:10:22 pm by NibbleKat » Logged

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: March 30, 2011, 04:09:23 pm »

I haven't taken the time to see if there are any Kemetic pictures like this, and to be honest, I don't -want- to, because, well... why spread the offense there, too?

I won't lie- I know nothing about your area of mythology. But the Egyptians wrote about man on man rape, so I guess if one was to make a picture about that, it could be fitting.

I see many Kemetic pictures where- for example- Anubis is in anthro form, and is unzipping pants, like he wants to come have whoopie with him. It's a bit weird, but I guess that's how some people see gods- sexual and all that. For me personally, I like to check that it's okay- whatever I'm making- because I don't want to anger gods. I've found most of them don't care, or even have their own input to the piece, which makes it an interesting process. I learn more about my craft, and I learn more about my gods.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)