The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 28, 2017, 03:21:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2017, 03:21:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Modern Deity Renditions?  (Read 17025 times)
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #90: April 06, 2011, 10:18:11 am »

Here's a question for y'all.

With the fact that a lot of Kemetics seem to prefer original ancient art to modern renditions for their altars, do you think I should paint less Egyptian deities for Pagan Pride Day?  I figure Isis is pretty universal... since she's always been popular outside of her own pantheon, well-loved... but do you think there's a point to painting others? I don't want to alienate folks.

I would say to keep on a'painting! I know lots of Kemetics that want anything AE based- esp images of gods (esp. the more obscure gods). And while not everyone would put them in their shrine, lots of people like to keep nice looking images at work, and as decor. So I think it would be a great idea. I know I'm always keeping my eyes open for Kemetic paraphernalia. Just my thoughts on it Smiley

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #91: April 06, 2011, 11:57:46 am »

I'd say it's a beautiful thing to use your artistic ability to portray the Netjeru.
I can't really see any Kemetic being upset as long as the images are truly and deeply respectful (and not mocking) and not banal or creepy. The deities, I think, are not our pals or buds so artistic efforts to be funny or overtly "cute" may miss the mark. But how about trying your hand at creating traditional images as well--even in a general sort of way? Perhaps you could combine some tradional material in an image but
expand on it with a classic, pictorial setting that contains various referents to their myth. Let's say you decided to depict Khonsu, a lunar deity. You could show his traditional image but with a background of night sky, stars, and the lunar orb. Just an idea. This would be both traditional and yet modern. Good luck with it.

That, I think, is a really good idea. I sort of puttered around with the idea for a few moments not too long ago, then my train of thought flew out the window like it normally does.

I have been planning to paint a few boxes, so maybe I could do something like this one one of them...

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: April 06, 2011, 11:58:35 am »

Nooo, not at all. And, for example, just because in my super-formal-shrine I will only have super-formal-traditional-images, doesn't mean that in my rather more laid back shrine I don't have random stuff like cigarette cards and beer clips and other bizarre things that are or remind me of my deity.

Other people will keep them in areas outwith their "shrine space", and that is also super valid. People can decline to use your art in certain contexts, and still really enjoy it.

I like (and until this thread had never heard of) the idea of two shrines.  Would it be inappropriate to ask for a photo?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #93: April 06, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »

Are you looking to sell the artwork, or have it there for display-only? If it's to show, do whoever you like. And I'd think that most Kemetics would also like artwork as decor. The main problem is that there are so few of us. So it's an intersection of "have the money" and "like that particular style" and "have a place to put it". Start out with fewer than 1,000 people to draw that intersection from (?) and it's a small customer base.

A sobering thought- there are probably more "serious hearse and ambulance collectors" than there are active recon Kemetics. At least judging from the membership list of the Professional Car Society.  Roll Eyes

Oh- I love that little Horus!

Heheh, well, my icons are going to be very, very cheap.  $15 each. So not for display, but for altars. And very small. 3"x3" and 3"x7"...  So... maybe what you're saying is true, but there's no reason to not paint at least one or two, I guess.  But that is a sobering thought! I hadn't thought of it in that manner, thank you! Smiley

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #94: April 06, 2011, 12:01:05 pm »

I would say to keep on a'painting! I know lots of Kemetics that want anything AE based- esp images of gods (esp. the more obscure gods). And while not everyone would put them in their shrine, lots of people like to keep nice looking images at work, and as decor. So I think it would be a great idea. I know I'm always keeping my eyes open for Kemetic paraphernalia. Just my thoughts on it Smiley

-Devo

If you ever wanted to, toss out some ideas in a PM to me? Smiley I know less of the Kemetic gods than I should.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #95: April 06, 2011, 12:13:14 pm »

I like (and until this thread had never heard of) the idea of two shrines. 

There's a thread on this:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=14283.0

Here's my distinction between "formal" and "informal"

Formal:  Images must be kept covered or behind closed double doors.  Shrine is only opened if ritualist has done purifications.  Statues or printed images should be kept traditional.  This is the type of shrine that would be appropriate for an open statue.

Informal:   Images do not necessarily have to be traditional.  They can be kept uncovered.  Purity standards are more flexible  (I'll wash my hands and take off my leather shoes, but I won't necessarily take a bath with natron). Shrine should be treated with respect.  I don't put mundane objects like car keys on an informal shrine.  Shrines like this, for me, are reminder's of a God's presence in my life.  Their purpose is not specifically ritualistic. 

Other people may make different distinctions but this is how I do it.
Helmsman_of_Inepu
Master Member
Last Login:May 28, 2012, 07:22:37 am

Religion: Kemetic Reconnaissance, Flamekeeping

Blog entries (0)

Helmsman Of-Inepu

Ignore
« Reply #96: April 06, 2011, 01:39:34 pm »

If you ever wanted to, toss out some ideas in a PM to me? Smiley I know less of the Kemetic gods than I should.

What I'd do is make a list of the gods that they sell resin statues of. Then check a basic list, like the one on Wikipedia, perhaps omitting the ones without much info as being too obscure. See which ones interest you that there aren't already a million statues for (like Bast).

So probably not Rem, the fish god that fertilizes the land with his tears.
Wepwawet, maybe?
If you do one of Hatmehit, Devo and I would probably want it, but no one else might!

OTOH, many of the Egyptian Gods & Goddesses look interesting, your work is appealing, and a lot of people might be tempted to pick them up as little "treasures" at such a price, Kemetic or not.

Kemetic Writers Group - Fiction and Poetry - Join! Create! Have fun!
Kemetic Reconnaissance blog.
Adding in a bit of Flamekeeping too. (dark flame, bright flame)
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: April 06, 2011, 01:52:47 pm »

What I'd do is make a list of the gods that they sell resin statues of. Then check a basic list, like the one on Wikipedia, perhaps omitting the ones without much info as being too obscure. See which ones interest you that there aren't already a million statues for (like Bast).

Wepwawet, maybe?
If you do one of Hatmehit, Devo and I would probably want it, but no one else might!

OTOH, many of the Egyptian Gods & Goddesses look interesting, your work is appealing, and a lot of people might be tempted to pick them up as little "treasures" at such a price, Kemetic or not.

Wpwt is hella popular, but it's hard to find things that are specifically him. Nefersedt could probably give you some tips on separating the two. She knows more about Wpwt than anyone else I know XD

I'd love something of Hetmehyt that isn't asian based. I use a cheapy carp figure to represent her. It's a challenge to find things that fit the bill.

Beyond that... Heqat, Bes, and Renenutet are popular, yet hard to find things for. Finding good images of Khnum is a challenge, same with Mut and various aspects of Aset (Amenti and all that). I personally have a hard time finding Set images/icons that I like that I can take with me (i.e. a mini statue to put in a travel altar). Also, I have found that finding good statues of Asar is hard. Honestly, I don't like the selection of most statuary out there. You look through antiquities, and you see these great pieces- go to look for a resin version of it (or a version you can actually purchase) and the selection is crap.

Guess I ran off topic there! XD

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #98: April 06, 2011, 01:56:30 pm »

Wpwt is hella popular, but it's hard to find things that are specifically him. Nefersedt could probably give you some tips on separating the two. She knows more about Wpwt than anyone else I know XD

I'd love something of Hetmehyt that isn't asian based. I use a cheapy carp figure to represent her. It's a challenge to find things that fit the bill.

Beyond that... Heqat, Bes, and Renenutet are popular, yet hard to find things for. Finding good images of Khnum is a challenge, same with Mut and various aspects of Aset (Amenti and all that). I personally have a hard time finding Set images/icons that I like that I can take with me (i.e. a mini statue to put in a travel altar). Also, I have found that finding good statues of Asar is hard. Honestly, I don't like the selection of most statuary out there. You look through antiquities, and you see these great pieces- go to look for a resin version of it (or a version you can actually purchase) and the selection is crap.

Guess I ran off topic there! XD

-Devo

Ok, so... with the ones you mentioned are there generic "English-ized" versions of their names? Like... Ausir is Osiris and all that?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Devo
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #99: April 06, 2011, 04:50:17 pm »

Ok, so... with the ones you mentioned are there generic "English-ized" versions of their names? Like... Ausir is Osiris and all that?

Only one with a Greek name is Osiris. Everyone else, AFAIK, only has an Egyptian name.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Adept Member
Last Login:January 01, 2017, 10:38:48 am

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #100: April 06, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »

Only one with a Greek name is Osiris. Everyone else, AFAIK, only has an Egyptian name.

Wepwawet in Greek is Ophois.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #101: April 06, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »

-Devo

I thought Djeuty ---> Thoth and Apep ----> Apophis.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #102: April 06, 2011, 05:22:27 pm »

I thought Djeuty ---> Thoth and Apep ----> Apophis.

I think they were referring to the deities mentioned in that particular post, as quite a number of Kemetic gods have Greek names.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #103: April 06, 2011, 05:37:51 pm »

Wepwawet, maybe?

I think I missed this last time I was here. Der. O_o
That's another good idea from you, re: resin statue list. Thank you. Smiley

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #104: April 06, 2011, 05:39:02 pm »

-Devo

Right... but there's also Hathor and Anubis... I know Anubis is referred to as Anpu, and I forget Hathor's Egyptian name. Unless I am way off base here?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)