The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 28, 2020, 04:06:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:06:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Hobby Suggestions?  (Read 3400 times)
Mandolin
Apprentice
Last Login:May 13, 2011, 02:17:26 pm
Egypt Egypt

Religion: Fresh Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 25, 2011, 06:11:14 am »

It's a sad truth that I left all of my artistic potential in the womb for my younger sister. Now I have spent many years knitting, although I never strayed from scarves really. I was in constant demand for them so it was all good...cheap Christmas/birthday presents FTW.  Wink

But I'd like to start on something new altogether. I'd be up for other crafty hobbies or interesting ideas. I loved being able to make something out of raw material that I could give to someone else. Does anyone have suggestions for a good gifting craft?

Or a unique hobby in general would be great. I'll be devoting a lot of time to my studies of the Celtic path now but I feel new hobbies and music are essential components for a rebirth of sorts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 25, 2011, 02:05:15 pm »

It's a sad truth that I left all of my artistic potential in the womb for my younger sister. Now I have spent many years knitting, although I never strayed from scarves really. I was in constant demand for them so it was all good...cheap Christmas/birthday presents FTW.  Wink

But I'd like to start on something new altogether. I'd be up for other crafty hobbies or interesting ideas. I loved being able to make something out of raw material that I could give to someone else. Does anyone have suggestions for a good gifting craft?

Or a unique hobby in general would be great. I'll be devoting a lot of time to my studies of the Celtic path now but I feel new hobbies and music are essential components for a rebirth of sorts.

What about decoupage?  Victorians used to do it all the time, and you can totally fulfill artistic urges... and get your 'artwork' from various sources like magazines and whatnot... You can do little boxes and things like that.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 25, 2011, 02:49:10 pm »

My fascination lately has been with making jewelry out of found objects. There's a thread here somewhere with a pic of a bracelet I made out of clock gears, circuit board, and chain.

Mandolin
Apprentice
Egypt Egypt

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 25, 2011, 03:50:51 pm »

What about decoupage?  Victorians used to do it all the time, and you can totally fulfill artistic urges... and get your 'artwork' from various sources like magazines and whatnot... You can do little boxes and things like that.

Oooh candles would be really fun, too. This is excellent! Definitely going to try it out. I wonder what other things you could apply it to?

My fascination lately has been with making jewelry out of found objects. There's a thread here somewhere with a pic of a bracelet I made out of clock gears, circuit board, and chain.

I'd love to see your work, any idea where that thread might be? Do you usually purchase clasps or are you able to fashion those out of what you find also? I'll be on the hunt for some things....

Thank you ladies!
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 25, 2011, 04:11:32 pm »

HEY.

Speaking of which. I need potential selling buddies for Pagan Pride Day. Interested in sharing a booth?

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 25, 2011, 08:18:58 pm »

HEY.

Speaking of which. I need potential selling buddies for Pagan Pride Day. Interested in sharing a booth?

When is it? I'm going back to St Croix either late April or early May.

Mandolin
Apprentice
Egypt Egypt

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 26, 2011, 02:07:50 am »

That sounds like so much fun! I'd love to, but I live in Egypt. :\
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 26, 2011, 02:12:10 am »

Hmmm...someone already suggested candles, so what about making incense, soaps, etc?  Also, since you are musical, what about learning violin, harp, or...erm...perhaps a mandolin as an offering to your Gods and an added contribution to your rebirth? 

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
NibbleKat
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 26, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »

Sept. Awww.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Mandolin
Apprentice
Egypt Egypt

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 26, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »

Hmmm...someone already suggested candles, so what about making incense, soaps, etc?  Also, since you are musical, what about learning violin, harp, or...erm...perhaps a mandolin as an offering to your Gods and an added contribution to your rebirth? 

I like the soap idea...that brings to mind that I used to dabble in herbal medicine a good bit, I think that would be another good thing to start up again. I remember feeling quite happy when I expanded my knowledge of healing and focused on becoming a healer. I never got around to making salves but that would be quite fun I think. I need to find out what's available here.

It's funny I actually played the violin for 5 years when I was younger, then dropped it as I took up new interests and decided to move out of the country. However it was one of the only things that was saved when my family's house burned down in December. Perhaps I should take this as a sign to pick it back up? Unfortunately that would mean I still don't have access to it for another 9 months...and my roommates would be subjected to some horrible cacophonies until I get the hang of it again.  Wink
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 27, 2011, 01:35:39 am »

I like the soap idea...that brings to mind that I used to dabble in herbal medicine a good bit, I think that would be another good thing to start up again. I remember feeling quite happy when I expanded my knowledge of healing and focused on becoming a healer. I never got around to making salves but that would be quite fun I think. I need to find out what's available here.

It's funny I actually played the violin for 5 years when I was younger, then dropped it as I took up new interests and decided to move out of the country. However it was one of the only things that was saved when my family's house burned down in December. Perhaps I should take this as a sign to pick it back up? Unfortunately that would mean I still don't have access to it for another 9 months...and my roommates would be subjected to some horrible cacophonies until I get the hang of it again.  Wink

Go for it.  I think you have a solid plan there.

It's interesting that I had a nudge to put the musical suggestion there...maybe it is a sign, but only you can be sure of that.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)