The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 10:58:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 10:58:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Offerings  (Read 4780 times)
RainDrop
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:April 24, 2011, 10:41:09 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan Seeker

Blog entries (0)

BlossomsOfPeace

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 26, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »

Hi All,

I was doing a bit of musing and was thinking of giving an offering to the Divine (I currently have no specific Deities) but I have no idea what to give Them.

So this got me wondering, do any of you give offerings to your Deities, or to the Divine?  How did you know what offerings to give and how often do you give them?

Do you have any advice that you could give a novice like me?

I do apologise for all the questions as I know many of you have been Pagan for many years.  But as I have know no pagans, this is a great forum for me as I can ask questions and learn at the same time.

Thanks for your patience,
Sara

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 26, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »

First of it's a forum, where people discuss and answer questions... So ask away no need to have any doubts or restraints in that.

My offerings differ, they go from herbal mixtures, to liquir (Mead / ale). To writings where i thank the gods for their presence or their gift to me.

What items you offer to a deity on it's own is not that important in my opinion, as long as the offering comes from the heart. It's not so much the offering itself, it's the effort you put into it.

Good luck.

Honor and wisdom.
Legion.
shadowbird
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2011, 12:18:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Quaker-affiliated Chaotic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

shadow_bird

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 26, 2011, 08:30:44 pm »

So this got me wondering, do any of you give offerings to your Deities, or to the Divine?  How did you know what offerings to give and how often do you give them?

When I have an altar space set up, I give an offering of flame in the morning, and sometimes in the evening as well. I light a candle, say a prayer, and extinguish the candle. I do similar offerings of incense. Both of these are given as a way to show respect, as well as helping me create a sincere mental attitude and space to give thanks. I don't at this time have a patron that I work with, so these offerings go to "Those who have helped me on my path," including deities, angels, faeries and otherworld creatures, and ancestors and teachers. Basically, I'm sending out good energy and gratitude for the support I have from Source. (And I don't feel that all deities are facets of one entity or source, but I do believe in an energetic source from which all beings draw their. . .being-ness, and this is what I thank.)

If I am making a request for help or intervention, I petition a specific deity or other entity who is appropriate and who is receptive to working with me (checking this via a divination method has gotten good results for me, so I do that). Then, I check the lore of that deity and make an appropriate offering. In the past this has been anything from candles and incense to chocolate, wine, or fresh fruit.
MarieBay
Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 02:23:19 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 02, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »

Do you have any advice that you could give a novice like me?

First question: I offer physical items and prayers. I light incense two or three times a day- in the morning to greet the sun (and as treat for my male deities), at lunch if I'm home, and before I go to bed (for the Goddess). Once a week I give Apollo a new batch of bay leaves, but he's really the only deity I worship that demands a specific regular offering.

Second question: If you've got scent allergies (found out I'm allergic to Nag Champa incense the hard way Sad) or live in a place where incense just isn't a good idea, simply offering thanks (try to be specific, like "thank you for such a brilliant sunrise") and sending positive energy out is a good way to start. Meditation is another nice way to do that. Do it whenever you feel you need to- whether that be three times a day or once a month. Sincerity is what counts Smiley

Infinite curiosity at work.
RainDrop
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

BlossomsOfPeace

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 03, 2011, 07:23:04 am »

When I have an altar space set up, I give an offering of flame in the morning, and sometimes in the evening as well. I light a candle, say a prayer, and extinguish the candle. I do similar offerings of incense. Both of these are given as a way to show respect, as well as helping me create a sincere mental attitude and space to give thanks. I don't at this time have a patron that I work with, so these offerings go to "Those who have helped me on my path," including deities, angels, faeries and otherworld creatures, and ancestors and teachers. Basically, I'm sending out good energy and gratitude for the support I have from Source. (And I don't feel that all deities are facets of one entity or source, but I do believe in an energetic source from which all beings draw their. . .being-ness, and this is what I thank.)

If I am making a request for help or intervention, I petition a specific deity or other entity who is appropriate and who is receptive to working with me (checking this via a divination method has gotten good results for me, so I do that). Then, I check the lore of that deity and make an appropriate offering. In the past this has been anything from candles and incense to chocolate, wine, or fresh fruit.

I was sitting thinking about this thread a couple of minutes ago, and when I checked it, there were new posts!  Grin 

Thank you shadowbird.  As you are in the same position as myself (we both don't have patrons) I felt this post helped me quite a bit.  I too light a candle when I say a prayer and I think this helps me concentrate (even if I go off on a tangent when I pray!)

First question: I offer physical items and prayers. I light incense two or three times a day- in the morning to greet the sun (and as treat for my male deities), at lunch if I'm home, and before I go to bed (for the Goddess). Once a week I give Apollo a new batch of bay leaves, but he's really the only deity I worship that demands a specific regular offering.

Second question: If you've got scent allergies (found out I'm allergic to Nag Champa incense the hard way Sad) or live in a place where incense just isn't a good idea, simply offering thanks (try to be specific, like "thank you for such a brilliant sunrise") and sending positive energy out is a good way to start. Meditation is another nice way to do that. Do it whenever you feel you need to- whether that be three times a day or once a month. Sincerity is what counts Smiley

Thank you MarieBay for your reply.  That also really helps me. A simple offering such as "thanks" and sending out positive energy is probably the best place for a novice like me to start (especially since I don't have any patrons/deities).
I have tried meditation but it's taking me a while to get the hang of it Sad , and also finding "quiet time" is kinda hard in my house.  But I'm hoping practise makes perfect  Smiley

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: April 03, 2011, 01:13:18 pm »

If I want to do just 'something', as in a thank you or as in let's bring some good energy into the world Wink I give some money to the local animal shelter.

Makes me feel better and they always need cash for food and vet bills.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
tabi
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 04, 2011, 07:07:52 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 03, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »

Been practicing for over three years and have no specific deity at all, nor have I ever. I've worked with several in different pantheon but never felt the need nor draw to work with one or to dedicate myself to one specifically.

I say quick prayers of thanks to the Divine in general, I light incense and specifically a white candle to honor both male/female deity. I don't solely believe one works separately without the other one.

Tis one of those things sit and think about what tis important to you and what makes the most sense to YOU. We all do things differently because of that reason alone. I say a prayer every afternoon I go to sleep (I work nights) saying: "Good afternoon My Lord and Lady"...this tis what feels right to me.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #7: April 03, 2011, 10:17:29 pm »

tabi,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Marilyn
Message Board Staff

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
MarieBay
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 05, 2011, 10:39:35 pm »

I have tried meditation but it's taking me a while to get the hang of it Sad , and also finding "quiet time" is kinda hard in my house.  But I'm hoping practise makes perfect  Smiley

Glad I could help, RainDrop! If it's any comfort, I still have some trouble meditating, after years of practice Smiley

Have you considered incorporating meditation into exercise? My house can be pretty noisy too (dang neighbours!) but weather permitting, I get out and run. It's all about breathing and being in tune with your body, and it totally clears the mind like nothing else and makes meditations later in the day a little easier. If health and geography are in your favour, it might be something to try!

MarieBay
Apprentice
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 05, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »

If I want to do just 'something', as in a thank you or as in let's bring some good energy into the world Wink I give some money to the local animal shelter.

Excellent idea Tana!

RainDrop
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

BlossomsOfPeace

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 06, 2011, 07:52:19 am »

Sorry for such a silly question but once you give a deity/divine an offering (e.g. Something perishable like chocolate, fruit, milk, wine; or even something non-perishable) how long do you leave it on the altar for, especially with perishable foodstuffs? Would you leave it there permenantly or remove it after a couple/few days?

As I say, sorry for such a silly question.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: April 06, 2011, 12:56:07 pm »

As I say, sorry for such a silly question.

I don't think it's a silly question at all.

People seem to do it in very different ways.
Some put the offering on the altar and let it there for a time, then toss it out.
Some would leave it there, so that the deity could absorb the essence, and afterwards drink and eat it themselves.

Or some put the offering out from start on, so the animals could advantage from it.

There is no hard and fast rule, unless you belong to a certain tradition, that requires certain procedures.
You just do it in a way that works for yourself and your living situation.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 06, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »

My offerings differ, they go from herbal mixtures, to liquir (Mead / ale). To writings where i thank the gods for their presence or their gift to me..

Just wanted to ask you a quick question: When you use writing as an offering, do you burn it or keep it?

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
shadowbird
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 09, 2011, 12:18:45 pm

Religion: Quaker-affiliated Chaotic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

shadow_bird

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 07, 2011, 10:36:52 am »

I was sitting thinking about this thread a couple of minutes ago, and when I checked it, there were new posts!  Grin 

Thank you shadowbird.  As you are in the same position as myself (we both don't have patrons) I felt this post helped me quite a bit.  I too light a candle when I say a prayer and I think this helps me concentrate (even if I go off on a tangent when I pray!)

You're welcome! Glad to help. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I've been moving house and just had time to really check the boards.
Sometimes (in my opinion and experience) going off on a tangent is something to notice and try to bring back in, and sometimes you're talking something out with Source/Spirit/[insert preferred name here]. The trick is to figure out what's what. Smiley
MysticRayne
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 23, 2011, 11:01:41 pm

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 07, 2011, 11:59:24 am »

So far, I've only given my Deities cow's milk as an offering whenever I feel the urge to and have left the offerings out for a couple hours before disposing of them.   At this time, I don't really have a set time that I make offerings.  As far as how I knew what would be acceptable to give...I looked up what was traditionally used as offerings for each of my Deities.  UPG, but Freya did request a bit of chocolate in her milk once.  Smiley 

I do have a question of my own though that I've been wondering for awhile now.  What does everyone say(if anything) when making offerings?  Personally, I wasn't sure what to say when I made my first offerings to my Deities so I ended up just lifting each offering while saying "This is for you, insert Deities name.  May it please you." and left it at that.  It seemed to work well so that's what I've said for every offering since, but I've still been curious as to what other's say when giving offerings to their own Deities. 

"Sometimes you need the rain in order to appreciate the sun." -Me

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)