The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 05:56:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 05:56:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are you proud of being American?  (Read 10390 times)
Shadoworker
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 12:53:48 am
United States United States

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 27, 2011, 01:23:31 am »

Yesterday my government teacher asked our class if we were proud of being American, and I said no.
I said that I'm happy to be American, and I'm glad to be American, and that I'm happy for the good things that America has done, but that I wouldn't necessarily say I'm proud of being American. She obviously thought I had the Devil in me. I told her that I find silly being proud of something that you are born with, and had no control over, and therefore I also found silly to be proud things such as race,ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
What do you think?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 27, 2011, 01:32:38 am »

Yesterday my government teacher asked our class if we were proud of being American, and I said no.
I said that I'm happy to be American, and I'm glad to be American, and that I'm happy for the good things that America has done, but that I wouldn't necessarily say I'm proud of being American. She obviously thought I had the Devil in me. I told her that I find silly being proud of something that you are born with, and had no control over, and therefore I also found silly to be proud things such as race,ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
What do you think?
For me, it's not so much in just being some of the examples you listed but how I represent them. I'm a proud Santo Rican for how I represent that, not just being one. Hey, there are some Santos and some Ricans who make being that quite a shame, but I'm proud of the way I represent the things I "happen" to be.

Please help my babies with a click.
Shadoworker
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 12:53:48 am

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 27, 2011, 01:36:02 am »

For me, it's not so much in just being some of the examples you listed but how I represent them. I'm a proud Santo Rican for how I represent that, not just being one. Hey, there are some Santos and some Ricans who make being that quite a shame, but I'm proud of the way I represent the things I "happen" to be.
Exactly, you are proud that you are a good Person, not just the fact that you are santo rican.
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 27, 2011, 08:09:46 am »

What do you think?

I agree with you completely and answer the same way every time I'm asked (which is often, as I'm a foreign exchange student). I have nothing to be proud of; I had no part in making America what it is. I'm glad I was born there because it's one of the safest countries in the world, with the most opportunities. To me, patriotism seems silly and just draws artificial barriers between people.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 27, 2011, 08:22:02 am »

What do you think?

Most people I've met are proud to be a citizen of whatever country they are a citizen of while not necessarily being proud of everything their country has done or is doing.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 27, 2011, 08:28:24 am »

To me, me being proud of being American makes as much sense as me being proud of being white, female, or middle class. I was born into a station that I didn't work for. I'm proud of being Pagan, of my religious knowledge, of my struggles with depression, of my writing. Because those are things I did, not boxes I was shoved into at birth.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Castus
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2018, 12:05:21 pm

Religion: Theism

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 27, 2011, 09:28:34 am »

Yes and no. I am indeed proud of being an American, but I am not proud of America. Does that make sense?

Fides est tamen a impeditio ut Monastica. Filiolus es commodo per vestri factum quod illud factum vadum planto vos notus unto lemma, quod exsisto impleo per vita.
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 27, 2011, 11:44:21 am »

I shouldn't really reply to this being from the rainy end of europe. (Netherlands)

But i've never really been proud of my country as a country. Sure i'm proud of our medical breakthroughs, i'm proud that we're one of the main supliers of iridium isotopes (They use those in radiation threatment, so to kill cancer cells). But my country as a whole and some of the choices it's made... or more so the choices it didn't make (As the goverment seems very passive here). No i'm not proud of my country.

Racial aswell... For some time i said i was proud of my race. But i'm more proud of my kinship (Norse descend / follower of the asagods) then i am of my race as a whole. Too many racists and nazi pigs share my skin color to be proud of it.

I am however like said in this topic before, am proud of choosing myself at some point. Refusing to support others that only leeched of my energy. I am proud of conquering my past, getting through the depression that followed. I am proud of the fact i can craft things with my hands. I am proud of my ability to overcome. And i am proud i got through death, to live another day reborn.

I am proud to be a pagan.

Honor and Wisdom.
Legion.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:47:34 am by Legion, Reason: Had a silly typo. » Logged
Mithril
Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2011, 09:24:55 pm
France France

Religion: Witch
TCN ID: Mithril

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 27, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

Maybe part of the problem with this question is that people interpret the word "pride" in different ways. I think of pride as relating to something I did, so I almost feel like the use of "pride" for that question makes no sense. But maybe other people call "pride" a wider spectrum of sensations? Am I being clear at all?

(Having language issues today. XD Sure living in French makes me speak better French, but I'm losing my ability to be clear in English. College is going to be rough.)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

"Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
~Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 28, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »

What do you think?

I can say that I'm not proud to be American. I don't like this country, and most of my fellow countrymen make me hate this country all the more. I am somewhat happy that I was born here over other places (though there are other countries I would have preferred to have been born in), but that doesn't make me proud of where I am.

I think if you like your country, you like what it does, and you feel you're an active part of that country, you can feel pride. Much like being part of an organization, or a group- you're part of something bigger. And you can feel pride in that. But I feel such a disconnect to my own birth nation that I really would love the chance to leave. Therefore, there is no pride for America in me.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 11, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

What do you think?

I am not proud to be an American, no. I save pride for things I accomplish on my own, not thing that happened to me by accident. I'm happy I'm American, that's as far as I go with nationalism.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 11, 2011, 07:52:08 pm »

What do you think?

I think you're spot on.

Having visited some other countries, I can see that Americans (and Canadians and Australians) are a rather wild culture in many ways.  The freedoms and comforts we enjoy are unprecedented, but also taken for granted.  Like you, I see that we were born into this, not promised it.  A dichotomy.

At the end of the work day, I come to my 1,000 sq ft private apartment, with central heat and air conditioning, running hot and cold water, double basin stainless steel sink, shower, conventional and microwave ovens, deck, covered parking for my private automobile - and I sulk.  Not everyday, but you get the point.  I take it all for granted and don't feel complete.

So yes, I am happy to be American, though I have to kick myself once in a while to realize it.  Less proud - I didn't make this, I am standing on the shoulders of many, many people.

Seeing the Bedouin living in open tents in the Mid-East summer - that is something for them to be proud of.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Shadowolf
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 21, 2011, 12:05:12 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 11, 2011, 08:28:42 pm »

Yes and no. I am indeed proud of being an American, but I am not proud of America. Does that make sense?
  It makes perfect sense to me.    I may lOVE my country,  but am not in agreement with or proud of many things it's government has done or is currently doing.   
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #13: April 11, 2011, 08:38:04 pm »

Seeing the Bedouin living in open tents in the Mid-East summer - that is something for them to be proud of.

I don't understand the reasoning.  If being American is not something you should be proud of because you were born to it, well, weren't they born to the way they live?  It seems rather condescending to say that you can only be proud of your own achievements but these others, simply because they don't have the same lifestyle you do, do get to be proud of their birth, no achievements necessary.

Somebody foreign (or more socially or technologically advanced) who saw the American way of life as slightly primitive with hardships and archaic ways of doing things might very well give you permission to be proud as well.  As if surviving in 21st c America were achievement enough.  It seems very 'noble savage' to me to substitute the culture for the individual when talking about other people's pride.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 11, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »

I don't understand the reasoning.  If being American is not something you should be proud of because you were born to it, well, weren't they born to the way they live? 

It's a bit ambiguous, but it looks like War slipped into a different distinction between things you make (Bedouins and their tents) versus things you don't (microwaves, automobiles, etc).

Of course the need for you to make and not make things is partly determined by the culture you're born in, but it's still a separate issue because there are other things Americans could make.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)