The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 07:08:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 07:08:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Are you proud of being American?  (Read 10391 times)
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am
United States United States

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: April 11, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »

Most people I've met are proud to be a citizen of whatever country they are a citizen of while not necessarily being proud of everything their country has done or is doing.

I agree.  I'm proud to be American, but I by no means like many, if not most, of the things our government does.  Not that the government should get all the blame, there are things that big chunks of the American citizenry do that are upsetting as well.  

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Zoe Moonchild
Master Member
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 06:29:35 am

Religion: Celtic Pagan
TCN ID: Zoe Moonchild

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 12, 2011, 07:12:06 am »

I am proud to be an American.  I am proud of the things this country is founded upon.  I am thankful for the freedoms that we have.  Do I like everything that American or some portion of its citizens have chosen to do?  No.  But I do feel a 'part' of my country.  I take advantage of the freedoms that are given to me, simply by being born here.  I vote, I do volunteer work, etc.  I give honor to those that have died so that I can enjoy what is good about this country.  If I think something should be changed, I am thankful that their are avenues here that we can make use of to change those things.  In short, good and bad weighed together, I would not have wanted to have been born anywhere else.  And looking in looking around the world, I can't find any country that is simply 'good' or 'bad' and neither are we.  YMMV

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
it is measured by the moments that take your breath away.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 12, 2011, 11:12:26 am »

I don't understand the reasoning.  If being American is not something you should be proud of because you were born to it, well, weren't they born to the way they live? 

I keep you around to slap me upside the head like that once in a while. Cheesy  Point well taken, thank you.  I was indeed placing a different value on them than myself.  It was a privileged viewpoint, something I try to avoid.

It's a bit ambiguous, but it looks like War slipped into a different distinction between things you make (Bedouins and their tents) versus things you don't (microwaves, automobiles, etc).

Yes and no.  My recollection at the moment was of being in an air-conditioned road tractor when it was a hundred degrees (54C) outside.  It appears to be some angle of human nature: "I'd die out there!"  And the guy out there has no option other than to live and deal with it.

Now I wonder how many metaphors that leads to.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 12, 2011, 03:19:45 pm »

I would say yeah, I am proud to be American.

Do I care about cultural identity? No. Do I care about unity in numbers? No, except in cases of extreme self defense involving attacks from other groups, and only then and only for that purpose, and completely dismantling the group after that. Will that ever happen here? No.

If it's not a federal or state government, it's a church group or home-owners association that will act as a bug up your ass. But there are a lot of great things in America, such as the Rocky Mountains, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, etc. There are a lot of things here that make the dumb stuff worthwhile.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #19: April 12, 2011, 03:45:15 pm »

I keep you around to slap me upside the head like that once in a while. Cheesy  Point well taken, thank you.  I was indeed placing a different value on them than myself.  It was a privileged viewpoint, something I try to avoid.

Thank you.  After I posted I was feeling bad about taking you up that sharply when I know you're not that guy.  I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm stressed and cranky at the moment, so I'm relieved at your gracious response.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 12, 2011, 09:48:49 pm »

Thank you.  After I posted I was feeling bad about taking you up that sharply when I know you're not that guy.  I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm stressed and cranky at the moment, so I'm relieved at your gracious response.

Absent

De nada.  You were truthful, and so was I.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Celtag
Journeyman
Last Login:August 26, 2014, 10:53:11 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan/Welsh Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 17, 2011, 11:10:27 pm »

Yesterday my government teacher asked our class if we were proud of being American, and I said no.
I said that I'm happy to be American, and I'm glad to be American, and that I'm happy for the good things that America has done, but that I wouldn't necessarily say I'm proud of being American. She obviously thought I had the Devil in me. I told her that I find silly being proud of something that you are born with, and had no control over, and therefore I also found silly to be proud things such as race,ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
What do you think?

I am definitely proud to be an American. I served this country for 5 1/2 years in the Army, and loved every minute of it. I know that sometimes, this country may not be exactly what you want it to be, but every so many years, we have the ability to change that. I can totally be myself in this country and I would die for this country and for the people in it, so that y'all may have the freedoms that we do. The world isn't perfect and the US isn't perfect, but nothing ever is, one should be proud of where one comes from, and do their best to make that place the best it can be. Millions of people died for the freedoms we have, and in no way should a citizen of this country should disrespect that. I believe other people from Britain or Canada, or wherever would say the same about their country as well. I just hope people understand that yes I know you might not like everything about America, but there are so many great things that make up America and the Great people of various ethnicities that make this country great. I guess that my 2 cents, or maybe 25 cents.
Thorolf
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 28, 2011, 11:30:10 am

Religion: Norse

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 26, 2011, 04:12:38 pm »

What do you think?

I am proud to be an American. At the same time I dislike the majority of what America has become.  I think the founding fathers would start a revolution if they saw the current America.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: April 26, 2011, 09:50:26 pm »

I am proud to be an American. At the same time I dislike the majority of what America has become.

And how can you justify the variations in your claim?  (Assuming any of us can...)  Surely the majority speaks for all, does it not?

Or do you speak for some royalty or caliphate, that does not need common rule?

Think on that.

Minority rule is what we are combating now.  It is an ugly little war and it is going to get uglier.  Nevertheless, it is my prayer that the majority gets their way.

I am not so certain that the majority of America is what you perceive.  What you see on FoxNews is not what lurks beneath.

Thorolf
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 26, 2011, 10:57:28 pm »

And how can you justify the variations in your claim?  (Assuming any of us can...)  Surely the majority speaks for all, does it not?

Or do you speak for some royalty or caliphate, that does not need common rule?

Think on that.

Minority rule is what we are combating now.  It is an ugly little war and it is going to get uglier.  Nevertheless, it is my prayer that the majority gets their way.

I am not so certain that the majority of America is what you perceive.  What you see on FoxNews is not what lurks beneath.
I love the land and its history, just not its current government. I  think the government holds to much power and has a bit to much control. I also believe the government is corrupt. Its definitely throwing money to places it shouldn't especially during a time like now when we have money issues already. Theres other things i wont get into because they are a bit extreme in view, but even without those views the government does enough other stuff that bugs me would probably support a rebellion.
Shadoworker
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 12:53:48 am

Religion: Agnostic Pantheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 27, 2011, 11:58:26 am »

General response.
My issues are not so much the good things America has done vs the bad things. It pretty much the fact that most Americans were simply born Americans. To say that one is "proud"  to be American is like completely accrediting yourself with something you had nothing to do with - unless you were a soldier or something like that.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 27, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »

I love the land and its history, just not its current government.

And yet the current government is perhaps the kindest thing that has happened to this land in it's history since the white-skins appeared and pushed us onto reservations.

And then they shipped in slaves from Africa - don't even bother with the locals, bring in outsiders.  Just like Libya.

I think you have an underdeveloped idea of this land.

I think you have an underdeveloped idea of history.

And I think - and this is only my opinion, not endorsed by anyone here - that you have an underdeveloped view of the current administration.  No one since Franklin Delano Roosevelt himself has faced this sort of chaos.

So, I have just given you three directions in which to go.  Of course, you may chose your own direction.

The path you are on appears (to my humble eyes) myopic.  Be careful.

Thorolf
Senior Newbie

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: April 27, 2011, 09:07:56 pm »

And yet the current government is perhaps the kindest thing that has happened to this land in it's history since the white-skins appeared and pushed us onto reservations.

I feel bad for what happened to the tribes, I would hate to be in the position they were. Though at the same, if I were at another point in history, I would like to have conquered places. So while I feel bad for them, I also see that as good land that I also would've took. Same stuff happened all over the world. If you look far back into history stronger groups tend to push the weaker groups out of the way for the better land, kind of  survival of the fittest I guess.  Don't take this post as a insult to native americans,  I greatly respect them, their culture, and their way of life.  I really admire ones like Sitting Bull, Geronimo and Crazy Horse. I think it would have been interesting to have met them and fought against them too.

And then they shipped in slaves from Africa - don't even bother with the locals, bring in outsiders.  Just like Libya.
I will agree that the slavery was wrong.  Though it is bothersome when people  bring up slavery when talking about whites. It's not like whites were the only people to ever have slaves. Sure we turned it into something huge, but only because at the time it was easy. I'm sure other places in the world that had slaves would have done the same thing if the opportunity presented itself.

I think you have an underdeveloped idea of history.
I think you have an underdeveloped idea of this land.

This I will have to disagree with. I spend a lot of time studying in history and when I get some money I will be going to college for history. I base most of my opinions on history and what has happened over time and what is happening int he world now.
WarHorse
High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: April 28, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »

This I will have to disagree with. I spend a lot of time studying in history and when I get some money I will be going to college for history. I base most of my opinions on history and what has happened over time and what is happening int he world now.

Good - I wanted to see what you would do when challenged. Wink

Best of fortune on that history degree - we need more thinkers out there.

And no - no insult taken or even insinuated.  I think you have a good heart.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)