The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 03:04:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 03:04:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Your Birth Religion and your Current Path  (Read 15759 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #30: May 12, 2011, 10:32:14 pm »

I saw nothing wrong with it.

For one thing, it's disrespectful to sit in the house of a god, partake of his rituals, and in your heart of hearts dedicate your presence and your devotion to a different god.  It is deceptive, it is dishonest, and I can't think of any god, either the public one or the hidden one, accepting 'honour' under such conditions.

The only condition under which I would not condemn this act would be if the religion was state-commanded and enforced.  Most people are not martyrs and would go through the motions if health and safety were at risk.  In current western society, however, I can't see that happening.  (social pressure to attend a church is not sufficient to justify the deception - you could just balance your chequebook while you sit there (pop culture reference for 10))  Taking communion when you are not in a fit state for it just strikes me as wrong.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #31: May 12, 2011, 10:34:47 pm »

For one thing, it's disrespectful to sit in the house of a god, partake of his rituals, and in your heart of hearts dedicate your presence and your devotion to a different god.  It is deceptive, it is dishonest, and I can't think of any god, either the public one or the hidden one, accepting 'honour' under such conditions.

Ditto. I don't take communion anymore unless I feel that I can be respectful to at least Jesus while in church. (I've kinda given up on his dad.) I used to dedicate the communion to Dionysus and Demeter, but ironically enough that was after I quit Christianity and before I even knew about Paganism. Looking back on it, it's like giving secondhand, used gifts to a lover.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #32: May 12, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »

Ditto. I don't take communion anymore unless I feel that I can be respectful to at least Jesus while in church. (I've kinda given up on his dad.) I used to dedicate the communion to Dionysus and Demeter, but ironically enough that was after I quit Christianity and before I even knew about Paganism. Looking back on it, it's like giving secondhand, used gifts to a lover.

IYHO of course.

But IMHO there's nothing wrong with it. And honestly, it's up to the OP. (Original poster)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #33: May 12, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

IYHO of course.

But IMHO there's nothing wrong with it. And honestly, it's up to the OP. (Original poster)

Seeing as I wrote the post, I thought it was obvious it was my opinion. Would you like to explain how taking a ceremony meant for one god, in that god's temple, and ignoring its very premise, and giving it instead to another god doesn't seem disrespectful to you?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #34: May 12, 2011, 11:45:33 pm »

Seeing as I wrote the post, I thought it was obvious it was my opinion. Would you like to explain how taking a ceremony meant for one god, in that god's temple, and ignoring its very premise, and giving it instead to another god doesn't seem disrespectful to you?

I personally tend towards taking it as a violation of hospitality.

Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #35: May 13, 2011, 12:14:22 am »

I personally tend towards taking it as a violation of hospitality.

This.

It's your decision and your free will but it smacks of childish disrespect - imo - and is something that *I* would never choose to do.

Part of the reason I stopped attending church at all even before I left Christianity (in any iteration) was because I felt like I was lying and abusing the faith of others present when I prayed, sang hymns etc because (presumably) their faith and worship were meaningful and sincere whereas mine was, at best, polite mimicry.

Again it's your decision/opinion/choice but don't be surprised if it's an unpopular one.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #36: May 13, 2011, 05:53:43 am »

IYHO of course.

The opinions being presented against you are based on careful consideration of Christianity, what communion means to Christians, what it is intended to accomplish--the whole context of it.  It would be helpful if you could tell us on what you base your opinion.  Maybe you have a really good, solid reason for believing the way you do, but just waving away objections with a "well, that's your opinion" is not going to help us understand or further the conversation.  And...  I don't know whether this is still an issue the OP is concerned with, but if it were me, I know I'd find an opinion presented along with the reasoning that backs it more useful in trying to make my decision than an opinion just thrown out there with nothing to explain how it was arrived at or how it works.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Otter
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 03:38:03 pm

Religion: Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: May 16, 2011, 10:07:53 am »

I think you should be able to honor the Christian God as the God of others you care about. Asking him to care for those who do follow him because you are truly concerned about them doesn't strike me as something any deity -- except perhaps the Fundie version of the Christian God -- could take great offense at.

This is something that I do and I think this is a really valid point. I left Catholicism behind for good several years ago and I don't feel any need myself to include the Christian God in my worship, but that doesn't mean I don't still respect Him. I don't go to church unless my mother asks me to, and even though I usually only consent on holidays. But I've addressed prayers to the Christian God on behalf of my deceased grandmother and my mother herself, since He is their God and my Gods aren't. On occasion I'll also ask Brigid in a general way to protect those I care for.

As for attending church, I consider it the same as attending any kind of ceremony for a religion which is not mine (like a Passover seder or a ritual for another pagan faith): as a respectful observer and a participant only where the faithful WANT me to be. At Catholic Mass for example, most of the priests point out that although non-Catholics are welcome at Mass, they should not take communion, and I would respect that even if I wanted to take it. I will also not say certain prayers. But as for kneeling/standing where appropriate, singing hymns, and giving thanks, why not? To me these are gestures which show respect both towards the God whose house I'm visiting and to the congregation.

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #38: May 16, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »

The opinions being presented against you are based on careful consideration of Christianity, what communion means to Christians, what it is intended to accomplish--the whole context of it.  It would be helpful if you could tell us on what you base your opinion.  Maybe you have a really good, solid reason for believing the way you do, but just waving away objections with a "well, that's your opinion" is not going to help us understand or further the conversation.  And...  I don't know whether this is still an issue the OP is concerned with, but if it were me, I know I'd find an opinion presented along with the reasoning that backs it more useful in trying to make my decision than an opinion just thrown out there with nothing to explain how it was arrived at or how it works.

Exactly.  That's why I posted here.  I generally respect the imput I get from people on TC because I know most of them will think things through before answering my questions. 

Obviously anyone's responses I receive are going to be their opinions.  I knew that when I started the thread.  I was never asking for someone to answer the question for me, and nobody on here presumed to do so.

I needed rational responses and I got them.  This was good, because I wasn't rational when I started this thread and I was very aware of that. 

Going to communion on a whim to make my grieving parents feel better may have made things worse.  I could have upset their God, and my therefore upset my ancestors.  That wasn't something that would have helped the situation. 

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #39: May 16, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »

Exactly.  That's why I posted here.  I generally respect the imput I get from people on TC because I know most of them will think things through before answering my questions. 

Obviously anyone's responses I receive are going to be their opinions.  I knew that when I started the thread.  I was never asking for someone to answer the question for me, and nobody on here presumed to do so.

Star's response was actually addressed to Outlaw, (as the quote she used indicates) in response to a post where she (Outlaw) stressed that somebody's opinion was just that.  It wasn't aimed at you in any way.

Marilyn

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #40: May 16, 2011, 08:20:39 pm »

Star's response was actually addressed to Outlaw, (as the quote she used indicates) in response to a post where she (Outlaw) stressed that somebody's opinion was just that.  It wasn't aimed at you in any way.

Marilyn

I know it wasn't aimed at me.  I was trying to express to Outlaw that I agreed with Star.  Well-reasoned opinions were what I was looking for.

Sorry if it came off differently than I intended. 
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #41: May 16, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »

I know it wasn't aimed at me.  I was trying to express to Outlaw that I agreed with Star.  Well-reasoned opinions were what I was looking for.

Sorry if it came off differently than I intended. 

FWIW, I read it in exactly the way you intended.  Smiley

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
MamaMoonlight
Apprentice
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 06:24:59 pm

Religion: UU/Goddess Worshipper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: June 20, 2011, 09:24:22 am »

I should put in more effort to be polite and, say, attend Mass with them while I'm visiting.
I really don't understand the logic of this.  ???First of all the idea of "should" indicates an element of guilt. Secondly, why would attending Mass be a polite thing to do?  What is the purpose?  Would you expect your relations to attend one of your ceremonies if they came to visit? Would you consider them impolite if they didn't?  I would think it would make them quite uncomfortable.  :-\In my opinion, it would be more polite to decline an invitation since you cannot participate fully and sincerely. 

As to the original post.  I believe that people follow their own gods, goddesses, higher power.  It all comes back to that energy that humanity can sense but not quite describe.  Maybe it is higher than us, maybe it is in us, maybe it is us.  Most need a way to explain life's mysteries and cope with them.  Some name their higher power in accordance with a connection. If a person's higher power had no name it would be rather difficult to pray to.  I think what it comes down to is everyone is really worshipping/honoring the same thing in their very unique way because of their uniqueness. 
If this is the case then by honoring your higher power, you are also honoring theirs. 

I do have one question though.  In all of the hubub to honor the higher powers involved.  Isn't it love that matters most?  And would love not be the most important thing?  You obviously love your brother.  They do as well.  So whatever you do if it is done in pure love, is best for all involved. It seems to me that any higher power would be honored by that.   

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)