The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2019, 01:38:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2019, 01:38:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What sparked your "Rebirth"?  (Read 14787 times)
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 27, 2011, 09:20:40 pm »

Many of us mostlikely like myself weren't pagans originaly, i for one was roman catholic, though i do believe paganism does always linger inside someone. As if it's fate.

Now i decided just out of curiosity to make this topic. So i ask everyone here who converted to a pagan path at some point in their life what made them decide to become a pagan. What sparked your rebirth?

So what made to become a pagan?

And for those who were born into paganism, what is that like for you?

I'll start with myself. I was born in a free thinking catholic family which is still love with all my heart, this hasn't changed nor will it ever i believe. But the views of the catholic church and the way it judged and damned people for not living perfect lives just set me off. That with me thinking i would go to hell for my sins. And a severe depression from another source just led me to become so down i tried to take my own life, i felt so alone at this point, there was no god answering me. There was no warmth in general. At this point i was called by norse paganism. Odin gave me the strength to continue living.

This is now quite a stretch behind me, and i am now a proud and happy pagan. Full of life with the might to face and overcome my strugles. I am now more with nature then i ever was during my past. Norse paganism in many ways have given me the ability to heal, for the wounds to close.

And here i am Smiley

So i ask again what made to become a pagan?

I'm interested to see how other people found their path. Also if they've only just made the first steps (Hense it's on the beginner part of the forum)

Awaiting your answers.

Honor and Wisdom.
Legion.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am
United States United States

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 27, 2011, 11:03:30 pm »

I was born and raised Baptist. I was 5 years old when I first gave thought to what God was.  It was not the God of Christianity, that I had been taught.  But being raised Baptist short circuited my thoughts on God.  I was 38 when my thoughts when back to the concept of God I had when I was 5.  Though the years I never considered myself Christian, and would be offended when called one. 

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Celtag
Journeyman
Last Login:August 26, 2014, 10:53:11 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan/Welsh Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 27, 2011, 11:44:07 pm »

I was raised in a very conservative Southern Baptist Town in Texas. After leaving the Baptist church when I was 18, I became a Catholic. But when i began to search my Families Heritage I found that i was Celtic. So I started reading about their religion and traditions, and automatically began to be drawn to that path. After some more research and soul searching, I just decided to give it a try and it just felt right. Its been going pretty well, i have made several contact with Deities and have gotten help on my path. Just feels good to be what i really am, and being myself.
SaidWander
Last Login:September 06, 2011, 02:17:22 am

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: March 28, 2011, 01:08:54 am »

I had never been religious, and was lucky enough to be raised by agnostic parrents. I always had considered myself to be agnostic, but not in a sense for the christian god but something else, that I wasn't sure of til now.

When I was 6 I had a dream that felt so real It still haunts me today, being a Jewish child or maybe of another faith or race, but I was being prosecuted by Nazi police in my home, and we hid.
Of course this nightmare wouldn't be extremly odd, except I was at an age where there was no possible way I'd have know of the hollocaust.

A couple years ago I remembered all of this, and was now convinced that there is some sort of rebirth and spiritual workings in the world.

I had just thought I was a spirtual free thinker, but eventually I stumbled on Asatru. The descriptions of it's afterlife struck me, as it was much more similar to mine, Hel was that place of rest before being given the option to be reborn in your family line. I was drawn to many other parts of it, it's outlook at our relations with the gods and what they do for us and the world.
And with more reading, belief, and happyness of what it brought me, I donned the hammer arround my neck, I became a pagan.
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 28, 2011, 09:03:50 am »

It's wonderfull to hear how other people discovered which path was right for them. And i'm glad you're all proud pagans now SmileySmileySmiley

And with more reading, belief, and happyness of what it brought me, I donned the hammer arround my neck, I became a pagan.

May Thor ward over your path, and the norns weave a gentle fate.

Legion.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 16, 2019, 02:44:12 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: March 28, 2011, 09:23:55 am »

I'm interested to see how other people found their path. Also if they've only just made the first steps (Hense it's on the beginner part of the forum)
You can find a great many more such stories in the long-running thread "What converted you?".

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 28, 2011, 09:35:22 am »

Many of us mostlikely like myself weren't pagans originaly, i for one was roman catholic, though i do believe paganism does always linger inside someone. As if it's fate.

Now i decided just out of curiosity to make this topic. So i ask everyone here who converted to a pagan path at some point in their life what made them decide to become a pagan. What sparked your rebirth?

I'll start with myself. I was born in a free thinking catholic family which is still love with all my heart, this hasn't changed nor will it ever i believe. But the views of the catholic church and the way it judged and damned people for not living perfect lives just set me off. That with me thinking i would go to hell for my sins. And a severe depression from another source just led me to become so down i tried to take my own life, i felt so alone at this point, there was no god answering me. There was no warmth in general. At this point i was called by norse paganism. Odin gave me the strength to continue living.

This is now quite a stretch behind me, and i am now a proud and happy pagan. Full of life with the might to face and overcome my strugles. I am now more with nature then i ever was during my past. Norse paganism in many ways have given me the ability to heal, for the wounds to close.

And here i am Smiley

Awaiting your answers.

Honor and Wisdom.
Legion.

Heh, I've made the "discovery" of my pagan tendencies twice. The first time was when I was 12 years old. I had been suffering from severe depression and suicidal ideation. I was a cutter and, although I had a small circle of friends, felt like I was utterly alone in the world. I had been baptised as a Protestant and had only gone to church twice as a child. The Sunday school teacher frighened me beyond belief and so my mother did not feel the need to force me to go back.

Return to when I was 12 and prepared to end my life. I had developed the "defense mechanism" of becoming obsessed with vampires, which caused the majority of my peers to leave me alone. After all, I was the creepy girl. In one of my many lunch periods spent in the school library, I came across a book about modern witchcraft and so my life as a pagan began. It survived years of hiding it my path from my mother who was too frightened to take time to learn about the path. Finally, when I was 18, we sat down and I explained to her that this is who I was.

Two years later, I met my current boyfriend. He convinced me to give the Bible a try, especially since I had never really picked one up before (despite the numerous Bibles we had in my family's home). I tried to read it, tried to understand it... I would ask him questions and the only response I would receive was "keep reading." After a year and a half of this, I just shook my head and have began a slow return to my pagan ways. I haven't admitted to him, just yet, that I am back to being pagan.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
Legion
Journeyman
Netherlands Netherlands

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 28, 2011, 09:54:18 am »

Thanks for the linky Sunflower Smiley

Well atleast he didn't answer every question with... "Because it says so" Many people have a unnatural fear for the unknown, and paganism is an unknown to many people. All they know of it is from TV and horror stories. Especially in wicca, as witches are considered evil by default by many. This is a human problem however, if people would take some time trying to learn about a few pagan streams. They would no longer fear it... but not all people are willing to read, let alone research.

Legion.
Sedjet
Senior Newbie
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 12:10:34 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Eclectic Poly-Pantheist Green Witch

~ Wild One ~

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 28, 2011, 03:54:01 pm »

Well, I grew up in an irreligious family. All my relations identify as either atheist or agnostic. I went to a Church of England Primary School where we sang hymns, went to church around the holidays, listened to some Bible stories every once in a while. I even sang in the choir (although we were too busy singing Beatles' songs - our music teacher was legendary!). Christianity never felt right or made any spiritual sense to me so I just didn't go there.

I've always, however, felt some kind of spiritual connection to nature, I just didn't know what to call it. Fast forward to age 12 and I find a book on Wicca at my local library. I guess that's what catalysed my Pagan journey. The whole idea and practice of connecting to nature and aligning myself to the natural cycles was exactly what I was after. It just fit, y'know? Of course, that was back when I thought Wicca was all that Paganism consisted of. I did some more exploring and slowly forged my own path Smiley

Praise to Anpu, Opener of the Ways.
Praise to Dionysos, the Liberator.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #9: March 29, 2011, 07:21:14 am »

I think I've given my story in the other thread (the one Sunflower linked to), but I also thought I should add:  I don't consider my move away from Christianity to be a "rebirth".  I did not become a new person.  No part of me was created anew.  It was maybe not the smoothest journey I've ever taken, but nor was it a catastrophic upheaval that changed everything.  It was a thing that happened in my life, but it was not the beginning of a new life so much as a shift in the life I already had.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 07, 2019, 10:49:07 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: March 29, 2011, 08:06:29 am »

I don't consider my move away from Christianity to be a "rebirth".  I did not become a new person.  No part of me was created anew.  It was maybe not the smoothest journey I've ever taken, but nor was it a catastrophic upheaval that changed everything.  It was a thing that happened in my life, but it was not the beginning of a new life so much as a shift in the life I already had.

Same here. I had moved away Christianity some time before I discovered Pagan religions. Neither moving away from Christianity nor discovering and becoming interested in Pagan religions changed me that much. I was what I was -- which was why Christianity did not work for me me to begin with and why Wicca (the Pagan religion I found first) did now work well either.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
MarieBay
Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 02:23:19 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 01, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »

It was maybe not the smoothest journey I've ever taken, but nor was it a catastrophic upheaval that changed everything.  It was a thing that happened in my life, but it was not the beginning of a new life so much as a shift in the life I already had.

My story is similar. It was more of a slow realization that I've always been a pagan at heart, whether or not I vocally identified as one. There were milestones, and there'll be many more to come. Sometimes it takes years and years for your mouth to put into words what your heart's always felt. 

Infinite curiosity at work.
MarieBay
Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 02:23:19 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 01, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »

Thanks for the link, Sunflower!

Infinite curiosity at work.
LittleAcorns
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 16, 2011, 01:16:42 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

bekahm1

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 03, 2011, 10:03:43 am »

And here i am Smiley

Awaiting your answers.

Honor and Wisdom.
Legion.

I wasn't brought up around anything very strict, however I was brought up to believe in God. At school I was taught to be Christian and to pray, but my family never really talked about it much and weren't Christian themselves. 

When I was 14 I discovered Wicca (like most people) and followed it up until I was 19, but then felt like I wasn't following it as it was originally intended. After that I simply called myself a witch - preferring the term green or cottage witch. However over the past year I have been questioning witchcraft itself aswell - I don't want to do spells or control energy. It doesn't appeal to me anymore.

A year ago I discovered Druidry, read bits and pieces and bought a few books until I finally decided to do the Bardic course with OBOD. I find that I consider Druidry a lot more of a serious spiritual path for me and that it fits me better. Still a complete baby though, learning as much as I can.  Smiley

"Presence is needed to become aware of the beauty, the majesty, the sacredness of nature. Have you ever gazed up into the infinity of space on a clear night, awestruck by the absolute stillness and inconceivable lastness of it? Have you ever listened, truly listened, to the sound of a mountain stream in the forest?...To become aware of such things, the mind needs to be still. You have to put down for a moment your personal baggage of problems, of past and future, as well as your knowledge; otherwise you will see but not see, hear but not hear." ~ Voices of the Earth, by Clea Danaan.
Emberlee
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 26, 2011, 12:56:48 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan/Seeker?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 08, 2011, 12:56:43 am »

I'm still kind of on the line as to being sure I am considered pagan, but I'll answer this as if I am.

I wasn't really raised in a religious household. My parents Christened us, we celebrated Christmas and Easter, etc., but only in the sense of the things that were fun for kids (like Santa and the Easter Bunny). At first we never questioned exactly why we celebrated - it was just something we did. Of course eventually we knew that the holidays meant, but that was about it.

I think one of the biggest events that lead me to truly question what I did believe though, was an encounter with my mother many years ago. I'll admit, I don't think my family really enjoys doing the whole Christmas thing. Not since the last one of us stopped believing in Santa, and the whole event had churned in to a commercial-type source of stress. So many years ago I asked her why we even celebrated. And she hissed at me "because we believe in God". She didn't talk to me for about a week after that. Like I had crossed some invisible line, that I wasn't even made aware of in the first place.

But the thing is, I didn't believe in God. Not in the sense that everyone else did. So I started asking questions. What I met up with though, was a very foggy picture. The only clear answers were that you "didn't question the word of God", and things worked the way they did "just because". And that just wasn't convincing enough for me.

I didn't like the lack of balance and sense of fear that seemed to go hand-in-hand with many religions in general. I know I kept crossing paths with the idea of some kind of paganism, yet due to some unfortunate experiences with some people that considered themselves to be pagan (like it was the cool kid thing to do)... I drifted away again. So I abandoned the idea of any religion for a long period of time. And just started asking myself what I truly believed. Not what other people believed, and if I could somehow make myself "fit" there, but a deep down honest look at what I could, at the end of the day, be okay with and not feel lost.

Without getting in to the long details, when it really comes down to it, the closest thing I've found to resemble my beliefs has been some kind of paganism. That may not be my answer in the future... but that is what I'm comfortable with right now. I still say I'm more spiritual than religious, And I don't think it was some kind spectacular sudden rebirth, but more a series of events that made me more aware of the kind of person I am, and who I want to be. The only path I really follow right now, is my own. And maybe one day I'll find others who have the same or similar beliefs, and even if not, atleast learn from others who have different.

But yeah, that's kind of the short ( Roll Eyes ) of how I got to where I am now. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)