The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 01:46:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:46:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rape in Greek Mythology  (Read 44838 times)
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #60: April 04, 2011, 05:55:23 pm »

You haven't.  I only mentioned claiming an objectively superior position because you seemed to be saying that people who say they think the gods are flawed are claiming to have objectively superior positions to the gods they're talking about.  I don't understand why that would be true, why someone couldn't just say "I don't think that what that deity did is good" without necessarily meaning "...and I know better than them."

I agree with what you're saying.

I know where BGMarc is coming from with the word "flawed" being kind of... I dunno... loaded?

But I think what you're saying is that it's okay at least to question the actions of the gods.  I think that if we didn't... if any person in any religion didn't, then it hits the point where you're blindly following. And blind faith never allows one to grow.

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #61: April 05, 2011, 12:06:45 am »

You haven't.  I only mentioned claiming an objectively superior position because you seemed to be saying that people who say they think the gods are flawed are claiming to have objectively superior positions to the gods they're talking about.  I don't understand why that would be true, why someone couldn't just say "I don't think that what that deity did is good" without necessarily meaning "...and I know better than them."

See, I'm the opposite on this one. I can't understand how it could be viewed any other way. If you say thatyou are doing something tha you believe is good and I tell you that it isn't good, how am I doing anything other than saying that my judgement of your action is more correct than yours?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2017, 08:40:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #62: April 05, 2011, 08:34:38 am »

See, I'm the opposite on this one. I can't understand how it could be viewed any other way. If you say thatyou are doing something tha you believe is good and I tell you that it isn't good, how am I doing anything other than saying that my judgement of your action is more correct than yours?

Or you could just be saying that your judgement is different than mine -- perhaps even based on different criteria.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #63: April 05, 2011, 08:52:03 am »

I don't want to belabour my point. I'm sure you get the picture. I'm not saying it's the only way, but for me it is an extremely effective way that takes me outside my preconceptions and helps to make the myths genuine sources of wisdom and teaching.

I see what you mean. Interesting that this approach, compared to the way previous posters approached the myth, makes use of anachronism (in the sense of imposing our understanding of rape onto the myth). I suppose to find contemporary relevance in anything you need to read it in a contemporary way.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: April 05, 2011, 08:55:15 am »

This looks like your objective-rational-morality stance getting in the way.  Wink

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #65: April 05, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »

Or you could just be saying that your judgement is different than mine -- perhaps even based on different criteria.

This.  Different is not necessarily superior.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: May 05, 2011, 02:52:18 am »

I think you're looking at this from a more modern perspective, though; assuming that the gods are worshiped because they are good or admirable. The gods were worshiped because they were deserving of worship, for nothing more than the fact that they were gods. They were propagated with offerings, in the hope that they would behave in a manner that was beneficial for the offerer, but I really don't think that admiration was the motivating factor.

Looking at it this way, it often seems - and I hate to use this word because it's so loaded, but for lack of a better term - "primitive" to me, to revere gods for such simple reasons. It brings to mind the popular (though largely speculative?) image of early man being full of awe and fear of the forces of nature, groveling before them in the hope that they will show mercy. Was it really just about appeasing these overwhelming powers?

(I realize that this doesn't necessarily reflect on how modern Hellenics feel about their relationship with divinity, and I'm not trying to make any value judgements. This is just my gut reaction, and I want to have a better understanding of these ancient viewpoints.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:00:23 am by Malkin » Logged

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)