The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 11, 2020, 11:35:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2020, 11:35:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you do during long vigils?  (Read 5882 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: April 02, 2011, 12:34:54 am »

All three of those would work, actually- the white quartz would work for one of my Revered Dead, the black onyx would work for my Forgotten Dead, and the black and white jasper would work for the Junior Horae. And for this particular project I only need one bead of each. Smiley That would be wonderful of you, Aster! Just don't rush- I have a lot of beads to pick up, so it'll be some time before I'm ready to string.

Thanks a bunch!

Cool!  I'd love to see them go to a good use.  PM or email me with your address.  If you happen to see this tonight and send the address right away, I might be able to get them in the mail tomorrow.  Otherwise, it'll be Monday.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 03, 2011, 12:11:15 am »

I have a vigil coming up, where I need to stay awake from 1:40pm in the afternoon until 9:00am the following morning. There are some periods where I'll have a lot going on, but from 2:20am through 4:10am, and then from 4:10 to 8:50am, I've got a whole lot of nothing. To compound matters, I will be sitting in the mostly dark and somewhat cold, and I've not stayed up all night in a while.

So: what do you do during long vigils to keep yourself awake? Are there activities that you specifically refrain from? I intend to stay away from the computer- this is a somber vigil- but I'm not sure what would really be appropriate.

Not having done vigils:

Do you have a short chant or song you can repeat over and over? ('Song that doesn't end' type) Could you perhaps work out simple choreography to dance/move with the song.  The repetition could trance the brain, the standing would help with wakefulness.

If there's space, you could pace.  Maybe move stuff away from the wall and walk along the outside.  That way you could keep a guidehand on the wall and close your eyes.  I know I always feel more tired when I strain to keep my eyes open.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 03, 2011, 12:31:58 am »

I have a vigil coming up, where I need to stay awake from 1:40pm in the afternoon until 9:00am the following morning. There are some periods where I'll have a lot going on, but from 2:20am through 4:10am, and then from 4:10 to 8:50am, I've got a whole lot of nothing. To compound matters, I will be sitting in the mostly dark and somewhat cold, and I've not stayed up all night in a while.

So: what do you do during long vigils to keep yourself awake? Are there activities that you specifically refrain from? I intend to stay away from the computer- this is a somber vigil- but I'm not sure what would really be appropriate.
I know I'm repeating some of what others have said:

1.  Cleaning can be quite a sanctified act, especially if you take it as cleaning to remove the clutter and spiritual blockages and to make the area sanctified and appropriate for the deity, entity, etc, you are honoring or whatever.

2.  Reading, especially if you have any appropriate books or texts or your own writings for the vigil at hand.

3. Writing can be very time consuming and very appropriate. I saw you mentioned prayer beads. You could possibly write appropriate prayers and such to go along with them. You can also keep a running journal of the entire vigil event as you go. I also find my own literary writing projects to be personally very spiritual.

Just some suggestions.

Please help my babies with a click.
disirdottir
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 08:50:41 pm

Religion: Mystic Reconstructionist Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 04, 2011, 02:31:58 pm »

Something my local CR group has done for a particular kind of focused vigil was to come up with a set of themed "contemplation" questions to be asked at regular periods through the night. It's been a group thing, so usually there is one main person sitting vigil, and at the intervals support staff would go to ask the questions.

In a less focused situation, we've read historic texts aloud, done handicrafts, played riddle games. . .

Regards,
-- disirdottir.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 04, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »

So: what do you do during long vigils to keep yourself awake? Are there activities that you specifically refrain from?

From winter solstice vigils, here are the sleep-inducers to avoid, in my experience:
--TV
--Reading
--A warm room
--Alcohol (esp. red wine)
--Heavy meals beforehand or during
--Intense exercise to exhaustion beforehand

My winter solstices alternate between somber and festive, depending on the day of the week it falls on, mostly. Here are some recommendations, with some somber specifics:

--Open a window and let fresh and esp. cold air circulate

--Take a long walk in the night, esp. very late and esp. if it's not a weekend night. You can't sleep if you're walking, and abandoned streets have a very somber mood (and if it's cold out, the cold air will wake you up)

--Play music you know the lyrics to very well; obviously, pick something the mood of which matches the occasion. I find if I'm following along with the lyrics, I won't go to sleep (however, music without lyrics or with words I don't know will put me to sleep)

--Snack on things. If my mouth is chewing, my mind won't shut down (BUT no heavy meals)

--I think the cleaning idea already mentioned is an excellent one. Anything that keeps you active and your mind engaged will help: cooking something elaborate, etc.

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 04, 2011, 03:32:20 pm »

One more I nearly forgot: Have a nice long phone call with a friend who lives in a different time zone.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)