The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 08:58:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 08:58:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do you agree with the use of the term mythology?
yes - 30 (65.2%)
no - 4 (8.7%)
undecided - 1 (2.2%)
yes and no - 6 (13%)
other - 5 (10.9%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Term Mythology  (Read 8174 times)
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #15: September 26, 2007, 10:35:20 pm »

Hmm...but isn't it their problem if they're offended don't understand the correct meaning of the word?

Call me crazy, but I refuse to substitute perfectly correct words just because someone doesn
t understand what a word means, or doesn't want to. :-P

I've seen that attitude expressed a lot, but I personally find it counter-productive.

I'm not a big talker, but when I do speak I am going for results.  I will choose my words specifically to make sense to my listener.  If they find the word 'mythology' offensive they are going to stop listening.  If by choosing a word or phrase that does not offend them, but means essentially the same thing, I can keep them listening I will choose that alternate word. 

Time enough once the dialogue has been established to bring things like different connotations of words into it, or to branch off into subjects like why certain words push buttons that synonyms leave unpushed.  The intent in speaking at all is to be understood, and to be understood you have to, at least at first, use the listeners range of acceptable words rather than your own.

If you ignore or dismiss the needs of your listener then you are really only speaking to hear yourself speak.  Communication is much more than that, and if you are not willing to work to achieve the goal of being heard and understood then you aren't actually communicating to begin with.

Absent

Edited to add:  I am only talking about spoken, real-time communication here.  Writing an article or a book, or even a message on a board, is different because your reader can put down the words and think about it, or go and look things up, or throw your book across the room if they like.  Writing for a specific target audience determines the words you choose, but it isn't possible to choose them for any one individual's specific  understanding the way it is when speaking.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:38:25 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED) » Logged

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm
United States United States

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: November 04, 2007, 04:52:30 pm »

Hmm...but isn't it their problem if they're offended don't understand the correct meaning of the word?

Call me crazy, but I refuse to substitute perfectly correct words just because someone doesn
t understand what a word means, or doesn't want to. :-P

It's true that they ought not be offended if I am using the term correctly.  However, I find most people are more receptive to new information and ideas if they do not feel you are attacking their beliefs in the process.  Trying to word things in an inoffensive and somewhat PC way generally makes discussions with dogmatic individuals more productive.

Go

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Go
Journeyman
Last Login:May 30, 2011, 10:32:23 pm

Religion: A Process

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: November 04, 2007, 04:54:29 pm »

I've seen that attitude expressed a lot, but I personally find it counter-productive.

I'm not a big talker, but when I do speak I am going for results.  I will choose my words specifically to make sense to my listener.  If they find the word 'mythology' offensive they are going to stop listening.  If by choosing a word or phrase that does not offend them, but means essentially the same thing, I can keep them listening I will choose that alternate word. 

Time enough once the dialogue has been established to bring things like different connotations of words into it, or to branch off into subjects like why certain words push buttons that synonyms leave unpushed.  The intent in speaking at all is to be understood, and to be understood you have to, at least at first, use the listeners range of acceptable words rather than your own.

If you ignore or dismiss the needs of your listener then you are really only speaking to hear yourself speak.  Communication is much more than that, and if you are not willing to work to achieve the goal of being heard and understood then you aren't actually communicating to begin with.

Absent

Edited to add:  I am only talking about spoken, real-time communication here.  Writing an article or a book, or even a message on a board, is different because your reader can put down the words and think about it, or go and look things up, or throw your book across the room if they like.  Writing for a specific target audience determines the words you choose, but it isn't possible to choose them for any one individual's specific  understanding the way it is when speaking.

My point exactly, only worded better and more throughly defined.  Thanks.

Go

Measure twice, cut once, and buy extra material anyway.
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: August 25, 2009, 04:37:37 am »

Not having read the whole thread yet, so excuse me if I'm saying something already said.

Generally I have no problem with the word 'mythology', I don't find it offensive, but I rather use the term 'myths' because IMO it makes much more clear that there isn't a homogenous set of stories or even a religious dogma. 'Myths' doesn't give listeners the association of an dogmatic/homogenous system as 'mythology'. 'Myths' says that there's just a traded set of stories and lets the possibility open that they may contradict each other. (For example there are different stories about the origins of some Greek deities like Aphrodite.)

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
RyanCSmith
Journeyman
Last Login:October 13, 2009, 06:59:43 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: August 30, 2009, 02:19:20 pm »

This was brought to mind by a friend of mine after hearing someone remark, "Do you think the Gods/Goddess' or the Lord and Lady perhaps, hate to hear us refer to what might be history, however inaccurate, as mythology? It is like in the movie dogma when the Apostle says Christ HATES when it is refered to as "mythology""

Please elaborate on your vote if you like. Bright Blessings as all.

No, I don't use the term mythology because of the connotations that mythology carries with it.  I personally prefer cosmology as opposed to mythology because, at least to me, it denotes that this set of beliefs is an understanding of how the universe works on a spiritual level, not a collection of stories used to explain it that mythology implies to me.
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: August 30, 2009, 05:03:55 pm »

No, I don't use the term mythology because of the connotations that mythology carries with it.  I personally prefer cosmology as opposed to mythology because, at least to me, it denotes that this set of beliefs is an understanding of how the universe works on a spiritual level, not a collection of stories used to explain it that mythology implies to me.

I assume you are talking about metaphysical cosmology?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
RyanCSmith
Journeyman
Last Login:October 13, 2009, 06:59:43 pm

Religion: Asatru

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: August 30, 2009, 05:04:29 pm »

I assume you are talking about metaphysical cosmology?

Yes.
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: November 02, 2009, 11:40:04 pm »

This was brought to mind by a friend of mine after hearing someone remark, "Do you think the Gods/Goddess' or the Lord and Lady perhaps, hate to hear us refer to what might be history, however inaccurate, as mythology? It is like in the movie dogma when the Apostle says Christ HATES when it is refered to as "mythology""

Please elaborate on your vote if you like. Bright Blessings as all.

I don't think it's an offensive word, as myths are just stories with cultural significance.

I don't know about all cultures, but Greek myths do not always have religious significance. They aren't meant to be viewed as divine revelation, as many of the myths were the inventions of poets and varied by region. Some of the stories of the gods do have relevance to the cult of a deity, but not all.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)