The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 08:24:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 08:24:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fish?  (Read 3231 times)
Asch
Master Member
Last Login:July 14, 2011, 07:55:40 pm
United States United States

Religion: OBOD & ADF

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 02, 2011, 12:25:25 pm »

Anyone else into fish? After years of going w/out I broke down and got back into fish. I found a pathetically undernourished and sad Betta at the local walmart *shudder* and rescued him. He's a common betta, blue with red highlights. I also picked up a few tetra, ghost shrimp and mystery snails (the tetras, all but one of the snails and all but 1 of the shrimp are in a separate tank from the betta). The betta seems to be doing better in a 1.5 gal tank with 1 snail and 1 shrimp (for hygiene purposes) I'm hoping to move him to the larger tank with the rest once he's settled and gotten a bit healthier as tetras, snails, and ghost shrimp are meant to be okay betta tankmates.

Anyone else a fish person?

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

ADF blog http://dedicantspath.blogspot.com

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 02, 2011, 03:23:12 pm »

Anyone else into fish? After years of going w/out I broke down and got back into fish. I found a pathetically undernourished and sad Betta at the local walmart *shudder* and rescued him. He's a common betta, blue with red highlights. I also picked up a few tetra, ghost shrimp and mystery snails (the tetras, all but one of the snails and all but 1 of the shrimp are in a separate tank from the betta). The betta seems to be doing better in a 1.5 gal tank with 1 snail and 1 shrimp (for hygiene purposes) I'm hoping to move him to the larger tank with the rest once he's settled and gotten a bit healthier as tetras, snails, and ghost shrimp are meant to be okay betta tankmates.

Oooh, yes!  Most of our tanks are empty now due to our work/house/yard demands being too great to keep up the maintenance, but I'm hoping to be dropping down from a 50+ hour a week job to part-time soon so I've been thinking of new set-ups.  Your betta is a lucky little fellow to have a nice home.  We have one at the office that I take care of, but the person who technically owns him keeps him in a tiny little bowl.  Sad 

How do you like the ghost shrimp?  I'd like to re-do our 55 gallon into a community tank and I was pondering ghost or cherry shrimp, but I've never kept them before.  And what kind of tetras do you have? Cardinals and bleeding hearts are my favorites, but there are so many fantastic looking ones to pick from.  Smiley

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 02, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »

Oooh, yes!  Most of our tanks are empty now due to our work/house/yard demands being too great to keep up the maintenance, but I'm hoping to be dropping down from a 50+ hour a week job to part-time soon so I've been thinking of new set-ups.  Your betta is a lucky little fellow to have a nice home.  We have one at the office that I take care of, but the person who technically owns him keeps him in a tiny little bowl.  Sad 

How do you like the ghost shrimp?  I'd like to re-do our 55 gallon into a community tank and I was pondering ghost or cherry shrimp, but I've never kept them before.  And what kind of tetras do you have? Cardinals and bleeding hearts are my favorites, but there are so many fantastic looking ones to pick from.  Smiley

The ghost shrimp are interesting, finding them when they aren't active is a bit like where's waldo in the community tank as they blend int0 anything (being clear and all), on the plus side they're extremely active swimmers so they're pretty fun to watch, they're even more active than the tetras (neons, wanted something a bit more 'exotic but the neons were the only tetras the local petsmart had).

I guess there is some concern with aggressive fish eating them but the tetras are way too small to eat them - at least the adults and at $.33 a piece it's not a huge potential loss. My biggest problem is finding them to do a 'head count' but since I've moved the betta and his stump that's a hair less problematic.

I also have a few live plants I picked up and the shrimp like to hang out on top of the leaves and filter water or rear up it's pretty amusing. All in all I'd say they're a fun investment.

Check out my blog http://therealrantingash.blogspot.com WARNING here be naughty words and snark!

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jefferson

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. - Thomas Jefferson
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 02, 2011, 08:46:03 pm »

All in all I'd say they're a fun investment.

forgot to add that from reading some folks recommend aquarium salts for ghost shrimp. I've held off as I've also read that the mystery snails don't like aquarium salt but both like/require calcium supplements. I may scoop the shrimp and snails into separate bowls and dose 'em then put 'em back at some point depending on their health. I've had both for less than a week now though and they seem happy.

The other caveat is that apparently sometimes the ghost shrimp don't adapt to the higher end of tropical temps well and will turn pink and die (apparently turning pink is pretty universal when they die, at least it makes clean up easier). Right now the community tank.s is at about 80 (I say about 'cause I'm using one of the thermometers that suctions to the inside of the tank and they can be a bit off). Smiley

Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 02, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

Also, before I forget again, this http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=78fa0ba1cee3efd4e0699878c93f519a appears to be pretty useful for general info on various shrimp. I haven't ordered anything from this guy so I can't vouch on that side but most of what I read checks out.

Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 02, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »

I had a betta, and I loved him. Unfortunately, our family cat decided she liked him too, and a few weeks ago when I came home from class, my betta had disappeared from his bowl. It was very tragic.

I love having fish, I just don't know if it's worth getting another one with my kitty around.
OpenHands
Master Member
Last Login:January 11, 2012, 09:52:34 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 02, 2011, 09:42:32 pm »

The ghost shrimp are interesting, finding them when they aren't active is a bit like where's waldo in the community tank as they blend int0 anything (being clear and all), on the plus side they're extremely active swimmers so they're pretty fun to watch, they're even more active than the tetras (neons, wanted something a bit more 'exotic but the neons were the only tetras the local petsmart had).

I guess there is some concern with aggressive fish eating them but the tetras are way too small to eat them - at least the adults and at $.33 a piece it's not a huge potential loss. My biggest problem is finding them to do a 'head count' but since I've moved the betta and his stump that's a hair less problematic.

I also have a few live plants I picked up and the shrimp like to hang out on top of the leaves and filter water or rear up it's pretty amusing. All in all I'd say they're a fun investment.

Oh cool, thanks for the information.  You've got a good point that even if they turn into a snack, it's not a significant financial loss.  I learned that with mystery snails after I added some small ones to our cichlid tank and my big severum figured out how to ram them with his nose and crack their shells open. 

Neons are a nice tetra and you know they won't cause any trouble with the other fish at least.  I noticed that a lot of Petsmarts have really cut back on their fish selection, which is a shame.  Our local store removed about half of their tanks so now it's mostly goldfish.  Disappointing.  Sad

- OpenHands

"Gardens are not made by singing, "Oh, how beautiful" and sitting in the shade." -- Rudyard Kipling

http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 02, 2011, 11:42:15 pm »

Neons are a nice tetra and you know they won't cause any trouble with the other fish at least.  I noticed that a lot of Petsmarts have really cut back on their fish selection, which is a shame.  Our local store removed about half of their tanks so now it's mostly goldfish.  Disappointing.  Sad

Right I fgured the tetras would be a safe bet and at $2 a piece they weren't horrendously pricey. I went by to get a better filter as I'd been using a temporary/too small filter until I could get back up there and yeah their selection is not exactly epic. It's better than wal mart but...yeah what isn't?

As far as betta's the best lesson I ever learned was to keep a lid on 'em literally as they love to jump which sorta kinda encouraged my cats to 'play' with them. :/ But my new one is doing well. I'll give him a month solo to fatten up and settle and then see if he's interested in the community tank.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 03, 2011, 02:35:53 am »

The fish that we have are pond fish, I'm afraid. We have Koi carp, Ghost carp, Mirror carp, Goldfish, Comets and various others.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Asch
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

CEPAsh

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 03, 2011, 03:37:46 am »

The fish that we have are pond fish, I'm afraid. We have Koi carp, Ghost carp, Mirror carp, Goldfish, Comets and various others.

I used to live in Japan and did landscaping for a lady here in the states that had Koi. I once went to a temple in Japan, it was in the middle of this really busy area we kinda stumbled onto it, and in the back of the temple was a truly gorgeous sculpted garden with enormous like damn near salmon sized koi. They were so cool.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 03, 2011, 06:38:43 am »

I used to live in Japan and did landscaping for a lady here in the states that had Koi. I once went to a temple in Japan, it was in the middle of this really busy area we kinda stumbled onto it, and in the back of the temple was a truly gorgeous sculpted garden with enormous like damn near salmon sized koi. They were so cool.

Proper Japanese Koi ponds are truly amazing. I wish ours was quite that organized.....

Oh, and I mustn't forget all the frogs that return here year after year to spawn-we have loads of the blasted things! My cat loves them-they squeak.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)