The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 14, 2019, 03:56:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2019, 03:56:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Stories from Mythology  (Read 10367 times)
elizwrite
Apprentice
Last Login:December 09, 2012, 09:06:52 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Elizabeth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: March 07, 2007, 10:43:30 am »

Since I've been doing some digging into a different set of mythologies lately, I wondered if anyone has a favorite story from their reading?  I have so many now, I don't know if I can narrow down my choices.  lol 

Elizabeth 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: March 07, 2007, 12:50:29 pm »

Since I've been doing some digging into a different set of mythologies lately, I wondered if anyone has a favorite story from their reading?  I have so many now, I don't know if I can narrow down my choices.  lol 

Elizabeth

Anything having to do with Inanna - specifically, her descent to the Netherworld.

A quick link: http://www.jelder.com/mythology/inanna.html

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #2: March 07, 2007, 01:57:49 pm »

I enjoy most of the Egyptian myrhs, but the story that had me aluighing until I cred was Darkhawk's rendition of Heru stealing Set's sperm. I snagged it from the archived forum, so here it is:

From Darkhawk, may 2006:

"""Set: Hey Heru, you have a nice ass. (Editorial note: This is a non-poetic translation of the text, but in no way inaccurate.)
Heru-sa-Aset: ... you really think so?
Set: Oh yeah. Y'wanna?
Heru-sa-Aset: Uh ... sure. Let me talk to my mom.
Set: *eyeroll* Mama's boy.

Heru-sa-Aset: Mom, Set thinks I have a nice ass.
Aset: Aw, shit. Okay, kid, the thing is ... I can't explain this. If you screw him, catch his semen in your hands and then come to me.
Heru-sa-Aset: Okay, mom.

* scene elided for privacy *

Heru-sa-Aset: Okay, mom, here's Set's semen. *holding out hands*
Aset: *screams, cuts hands off, throws them in the swamp*
an class="highlight">Heru-sa-Aset: ...ow?
Aset: Hang on, baby, let me make you some new hands. Okay, here's what you do when I've replaced them -- go get a lettuce and masturbate onto it, then give it to me.
Heru-sa-Aset: Okay, mom.

Aset: Hey Set, want some lettuce?
Set: Dude. I love lettuce.

Set: (To council of gods) Now, I don't have to tell you that Heru has a nice ass. That's just obvious.
Council of Gods: Okay, and?
Set: But the thing is, as a king, he's just not fit. Why, he takes the submissive position in sex, which just won't do.
Aset: You say so?
Set: Yeah.
Aset: Okay, let's do a spell to case Set's sperm to speak up from wherever it is, and my son's sperm to speak up from wherever it is.
Set: Works for me.
Aset: Yoo-hoo, Set's sperm!
Swamp: What do you want?
Set: ... heeeeeeeey.
Aset: Yoo-hoo, an class="highlight">Heru's sperm!
Voices in Set's Head: What do you want?
Aset: Reveal yourself!
Voices in Set's Head: *materialises as lunar disc over Set's head*
Djehwty: *steals lunar disc, puts it on his head* Hee hee. """
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2019, 05:48:46 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: March 07, 2007, 04:44:37 pm »

Since I've been doing some digging into a different set of mythologies lately, I wondered if anyone has a favorite story from their reading?

I've always had two favorites:

Jason and the Argonauts

The Odyssey

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: March 07, 2007, 05:09:45 pm »

Since I've been doing some digging into a different set of mythologies lately, I wondered if anyone has a favorite story from their reading? 

So far, my favorite Brighid story is actually one that's told about the saint, rather than the goddess.  (I subscribe to the theory that the saint is a Christian overlay on the goddess.  For the record, I don't think that's necessarily true of many saints or traditions, but, in the case of Brighid, there's SO much overlap and similarity.)

Anyway, there's a story about how Brighid hung her cloak on a sunbeam to dry, and the visiting clergyman was flabbergasted and tried to do the same but couldn't.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 07, 2007, 06:02:07 pm »

I enjoy most of the Egyptian myrhs, but the story that had me aluighing until I cred was Darkhawk's rendition of Heru stealing Set's sperm.

That's *fantastic*!

There are so many great myths from so many pantheons, it's hard to choose. I'm esp. drawn to some of the Hindu myths, because they're so visually striking and wonderful metaphors: Indra's net, Shiva's dance, the churning of the Sea of Milk...

But as a gay guy, my personal favorite has to be the Greek myth about the handsome youth Ganymede being swept away by an eagle and delivered to Zeus for his pleasure (in some versions, Zeus himself takes the form of the eagle). I'd already settled on the pagan name Altair for myself when I realized that the constellation Aquila, of which Altair is the alpha star, is supposed to represent not just any eagle but the very eagle of this myth.

Now that I'm aware of it, though, stealing Set's sperm *almost* displaces Ganymede's myth in my heart!

Acacia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2009, 04:57:52 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheist, Feri Student, Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 07, 2007, 06:09:08 pm »

Anything having to do with Inanna - specifically, her descent to the Netherworld.

A quick link: http://www.jelder.com/mythology/inanna.html

This myth has dominated my thoughts lately.

I have health issues. Mostly I've been dealing with one that's worse than the others. Worse to the point that I've had to undergo a medical procedure. It's had me thinking about all my previous surgeries.

I hate medical procedures because the whole things is dehumanizing. First you give up eating and drinking. Then you go to the hospital and must answer personal questions. You undress, you remove all jewelry, you wear no makeup, you put your hair in a cap. You are wheeled away from your mother or husband into a room without loved ones. You are alone.

The whole thing mimics Inanna's decent for me. You must remove your identity, your wealth, your power, your prestige, and your personality before you are allowed on the operating table. From the first gate of the Netherworld when you arrive at the hospital to the last gate when you finally lose consciousness you must undergo a slow process of personal surrender.

I'm not really sure if this makes sense.

Acacia
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 07, 2007, 07:26:32 pm »

I'm not really sure if this makes sense.

Acacia

It makes *perfect* sense to me, and is something I had not thought of.  My surgeries where when I was already out of it, and Demerol was my friend.

I hope and pray your medical issue is resolved quickly and for the best.  {{{Acacia}}}

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
Acacia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2009, 04:57:52 pm

Religion: Canaanite Polytheist, Feri Student, Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: March 07, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

I hope and pray your medical issue is resolved quickly and for the best.  {{{Acacia}}}

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm really glad that made sense because it's meaningful to me and hard to put into words. Hospital vulnerability is total and unique.

Acacia
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: March 07, 2007, 07:44:19 pm »

Anyway, there's a story about how Brighid hung her cloak on a sunbeam to dry, and the visiting clergyman was flabbergasted and tried to do the same but couldn't.

That's one of my favs too!  Cheesy  I think a good deal of the Brigid stories are about the saint rather than the goddess, but it's not too hard to imagine Her doing this either.  Wink  Another one of my favourite Brighid stories is where she spreads her mantle over the whole of Ireland (one text has her unraveling her mantle to a thread that encompasses the island), and the king who refused her land her mantle could not spread over was flummoxed.

But my favourite story out of the Celtic mythology is probably Oisin in Tir-Na-Nog or one of the stories about Finn--he's my favourite hero, as might be guessed.  I also really love the Taliesin stories. 

And Acacia--I hope all the best for you.  *hugs*

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #10: March 07, 2007, 08:34:18 pm »

Elizabeth 

Aset tricking Ra into giving Her his True Name.  I think that's one of my favorites.  Aset in the Contendings of Heru and Set. 

Oshun demanding that women be allowed to divine as well as men. 

At the creation of the world, Oshun was left out by the other Orisha because she was female.  Nothing they did worked.  The Orisha went to the Supreme Being and asked what the problem was.  They were told to include Oshun.  So they apologized to Oshun and creation/the making of world took place. 

The origin of Oya being black cloth that was torn to make the Oya (Niger) River and thus the passageway between this world and the next.  Oya stealing thunder and lightening (or was it fire and lightning?) from Shango. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
sara_marie
Apprentice
Last Login:May 06, 2007, 11:38:31 pm

Religion: Celtic polytheist

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #11: March 07, 2007, 11:10:15 pm »

Lily, you had me rolling around on the floor laughing!  That is a really great story.  Grin

My personal favorite story goes like this:

Manannan liked to go around the island of Ireland playing his harp and messing with people by offering to show them tricks.  He met a bunch of guys and started to do just that, showing off in his usual way, pretending to be just some regular guy who only liked to entertain.  One of the guys was not so impressed by a trick he performed, so he did something much more spectacular: he busted out all magician style with a rabbit, but of course, he can do much better than just that!  Manannan also busted out with a dog to chase the rabbit, a boy to chase the dog, and a girl to make sure they all behaved.  The boy, seeing the girl, got the hots for her, and they started getting it on.  This pissed off Manannan, so he beheaded the boy.  One of the guys then says, "Hey, I don't like tricks that involve people getting killed, man!"  Manannan then puts the boy's head on backwards.  "Dude, why'd you do that?" asks the guy.  "He'd be better off dead if you fix it that way!"  Agreeing, Manannan grabs the kid's head and gives it a good crank around 'til it's right again.  The end.

I love that story 'cause whenever something goes really wrong in my life, it usually is put right before things get too bad (unless it's just all my own damn fault, and in that case, I've gotta fix it myself, of course!).  When things go badly, then, I just remember that story... and laugh.  Cheesy

"Don'ts you remember beings a little kids when you teeths woulds falls out and grows back and you would get the old one under the pillow so the ancient Norse god Orthar, the tooths collector, woulds leaves you a Pickle's Nickel?!" - Toki, Metalocalypse
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: March 08, 2007, 01:19:14 am »

One of my favorites is the story of Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady.

It's hard to recall the beginning, but it goes something like this: King Arthur meets some sort of monstrous black knight, whom he tells to stop pillaging the countryside or somesuch thing. The knight says he will only stop if Arthur answers this question/riddle: What is the one thing that every woman wants? Arthur's stumped, so he goes traveling across the countryside, asking every woman he meets what the answer to this question might be. Of course, every woman tells him something different, so he's at a loss until he finds a mysterious, ugly old hag by the road, and he hesitantly asks her if she knows.

She tells him that she is the evil knight's sister, and knows the answer to the question. But she will only reveal it to him if Arthur promises her that she can marry the round table knight of her choosing. He reluctantly agrees, desperate to learn the answer. And she tells him, "The one thing that every woman wants...is to have her own way." And Arthur goes, "OF COURSE! IT'S SO SIMPLE!!" lol... And Aruthur goes back to the evil knight, answers the riddle, and wins that battle...

Then Arthur takes the loathly lady back to his court, and he tells his knights about the promise that he made to her, and they're not excited about it. The lady ends up choosing Sir Gawain. He's none too happy about it, but he would never disobey his king, and so he marries the hag. On his wedding knight, he leads her back to their chambers, filled with dread. But as soon as they enter, she turns into a beautiful young woman, and Gawain is amazed.

She tells him that her brother put a curse on her that turns her into a hag for one part of the day, and a maiden for the other. "I can either be an old woman during the day and a maiden at night, or a maiden during the day and an old woman at night. Which would you prefer, my husband?"

And first, Gawain goes, "Well, why don't you just be a maiden at night, in private with me?"

"But then you'll have to take me around the court as an old woman, and everyone will mock us!" she protests.

And he says, "Then how about the other way around?"

"But then you'll have to spend nights with me as a hag!" she protests further.

Confounded, and not wanting to distress his new wife, Gawain then says, "Oh, women must know more about these things than I do...why don't you make the decision yourself?"

And then - ta da! The lady tells him that he's broken the spell over her once and for all, "Because you let me have my own way!" And she was pretty all day and all night, and they lived happily ever after.  Grin

...Until one day she ran away from him because she was a Faery and wanted to be with her people again...but still, it's a cute story.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: March 08, 2007, 11:30:20 am »

Arianrhod's story in The Mabinogion.
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 02:37:28 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: March 08, 2007, 03:44:32 pm »

Arianrhod's story in The Mabinogion.

You mean her virginity trial and the naming of Lugh?

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)