The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2021, 03:54:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2021, 03:54:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Stories from Mythology  (Read 15247 times)
Lily
Master Member
Last Login:April 10, 2008, 04:53:56 pm
United States United States

Religion: Lazy polytheist with Kemetic leanings.

Blog entries (6)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 08, 2007, 03:50:47 pm »

Lily, you had me rolling around on the floor laughing!  That is a really great story.  Grin

Thanks, but the credit is entirely Darkhawk! Darkhawk posted that on the old forum, and I had to repost it (with proper credit, of course) here - it's my favorite story of all!

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: March 08, 2007, 07:01:09 pm »

You mean her virginity trial and the naming of Lugh?

I think you mean the naming of Lleu?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:February 11, 2008, 02:37:28 pm

Religion: Druid

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 08, 2007, 08:50:48 pm »

Either.

Depends if you're spelling it Welsh, Gaelic, Anglizised Welsh, or Anglizised Gaelic.

"Llew of the long arm", "Lugh with the steady aim", "Llue with the lion's strike", "Llew of the sun". 

All the same.

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: March 08, 2007, 09:31:12 pm »

Either.

Depends if you're spelling it Welsh, Gaelic, Anglizised Welsh, or Anglizised Gaelic.

"Llew of the long arm", "Lugh with the steady aim", "Llue with the lion's strike", "Llew of the sun". 

All the same.

As I understand it, Lleu is the Welsh hero, whilst Lugh is the Irish god, and while they show a great deal of similarities and origins, and many agree that in terms of story, they are forms of the same kind of... character (if that's the right word)... they are different people, from different countries and stories.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 08, 2007, 10:37:55 pm »

Either.

All the same.

Sorry, hard polytheist here. As Finn said, they have a lot of similarities, but they're not the same.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Mari
Adept Member
Last Login:October 10, 2010, 03:39:46 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: March 08, 2007, 10:55:34 pm »

You mean her virginity trial and the naming of Lugh?

That would be Llew - different god completely. But yeah. I've been interested in her and all facets of her myth for a very long time.
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: March 08, 2007, 10:57:47 pm »

"Llew of the long arm", "Lugh with the steady aim", "Llue with the lion's strike", "Llew of the sun"

Lugh of Ireland and Llew Law Gyffes (sp) of Wales are two different deities.
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: March 09, 2007, 07:22:35 am »

Ok, so back to the original question....

Were you talking about her virginity trial and the naming of her son?

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Gobae
Permanently Banned
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: March 09, 2007, 08:56:37 am »

Ok, it took me a little while to figure out where the miscommunication was happening.

I thought Juni was questioning/correcting the spelling not clarifying the god I was talking about.

Unfortunately, depending on which modern translation or version of these myths you read often determines how the names are spelled.  Tie that to the fact that standardized spelling didn't happen in many countries until the 1700 or 1800's (AND Welsh was being actively repressed by the English) is just one of the issues that causes spelling variations of the god/desses names in these myths. 

Which was why initial reply "They're all the same" was so flip.  Not because I see them as all the same god.

Gobae - The Blacksmith
Ancient Celtic Clans
Mari
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: March 11, 2007, 06:54:01 pm »

Were you talking about her virginity trial and the naming of her son?

I answered that question a couple of posts up:

I've been interested in her and all facets of her myth for a very long time.
Entwife
Master Member
Last Login:February 24, 2015, 06:57:07 pm

Religion: Pagan (Ecclectic? Green? Something along those lines)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: March 11, 2007, 07:35:51 pm »

Since I've been doing some digging into a different set of mythologies lately, I wondered if anyone has a favorite story from their reading?  I have so many now, I don't know if I can narrow down my choices.

I have many favorite tales from around the world too, and it is always so hard to pick just one. I always liked the stories of Philemon & Baucis and Hermes stealing Apollo's cattle, from the Greek myths though. One of my favorite Native American tales goes something like this...

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside of me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith. This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee replied, simply, "The one you feed the most."

In the Celtic tales, stories vary greatly depending on who is telling the tale lol. I guess the first time I heard the story it was Oghma harp, but I have also heard it as Felimid's harp and Dagda's harp and the details vary as well. In each though, it was the harp and it's three magical strings that fascinated me; irresistable sleep, sorrow, and either laughter or death (again, depending on the storyteller). I don't know if I could actually pick a favorite tale from the Celtic legends though, as there are so many that I adore... The hound of Cullen, Lugh the All-Crafted, the voyage of Bran, Finn with his disappearing deer mother and later, wife... no, I don't think I could pick a favorite there lol.

Wishing You Laughter

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~ Voltaire
jazzie
Journeyman
Last Login:August 22, 2007, 01:44:23 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Eclectic

Yes, my dog DID grow into her ears!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: March 12, 2007, 08:22:32 am »

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside of me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith. This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee replied, simply, "The one you feed the most."

I think that I have actually heard a simplified version of this tale. The one that I heard was very simple, good wolf, bad wolf (except I can't remember if the one I heard was a wolf or something else). The one I heard didn't specify Cherokee, but the point was the same. I thought it was ok at the time, but seeing the better version, it's not just "ok", I really like it. Thanks.

Cat people are different, to the extent that they generally are not conformists. How could they be, with a cat running their lives? - Louis J Camuti

Cat: a pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human beings - Oliver Herford
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: May 08, 2007, 10:15:18 am »

Since I've been doing some digging into a different set of mythologies lately, I wondered if anyone has a favorite story from their reading?  I have so many now, I don't know if I can narrow down my choices.  lol 

Darkhawk's version of the story of Set and Heru.

The Egyptian Creation myth.  As many have said on the old forum:  If I was a teacher and had to teach Intelligent Design, I would tell this story first (along with the Greek tale of Ouranos having sex with his mother Gaia while she slept)

The story of Sekmet getting drunk on what she thought was blood and the story of Kali drinking blood (odd how many of these are not Greek)

The story of Ganymeades -- probably the only homoerotic Greek Myth that doesn't have a tragic ending (unless you take into account some of the obscure stories where Athena, Artemis and Aphrodite bring Hyacinthus' soul to Olympus)

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Adoratrix
Journeyman
Last Login:April 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 21, 2007, 11:38:33 pm »

Aset tricking Ra into giving Her his True Name.  I think that's one of my favorites.  Aset in the Contendings of Heru and Set. 

http://netjeru.comicgenesis.com/d/20060530.html Great comic about that myth.
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 22, 2007, 07:08:36 am »

I like that artist's style - thanks for the link! Smiley

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)