The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 14, 2021, 11:50:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2021, 11:50:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Teacher's strike has left me flailing about in uncertainty and depression  (Read 10153 times)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather
« Topic Start: April 04, 2011, 06:19:20 am »

So, as some of you may know because of my post in the There! I Said It thread, my school is currently experiencing a teacher's strike. I am fully on the teachers' side, because they are striking for our educations, and VIU has been completely unwilling to compromise, bargain, anything.

It's looking like school won't start up again until after the 11th of April, which would extend our semester until mid to late May (and postpone -- or maybe even cancel -- our summer semesters). I need to take classes full time this summer if I want to graduate next April, and also if I want to, um, live. Student Loans are what I get supported by and I only get them if I'm in school full time. If summer semesters are cancelled then I have to go out and find a job...

...except I can't search for a job until I get an answer from the school, and that may not happen for another week or so. The job climate here is so bad I may be all out of luck for jobs by that time. (And I was planning on getting a work-op job from the University anyway, if I could swing it, because they let you set your own hours and the jobs are student-friendly.)

This whole fiasco has made me think that I don't even want to go to VIU anymore -- I've had my problems with the school before and this just takes the cake. I've looked into alternate programs and have found one at SFU, in Burnaby. It looks pretty good, I've heard good things about SFU, and moving to Burnaby would mean being much closer to my boyfriend, and would mean I would get to pursue my dream of burlesque dancing much sooner.

(And this of course has brought up feelings of melancholy regarding the fact that for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be an actress and Vancouver is the place to do it. So I'm even considering going for that as a career option instead of my current plan -- Masters in Library and Information Sciences.)

I'm feeling utterly confused and lost and not sure at all what I want. I did two Tarot readings to try and clear this stuff up and basically got these answers: "If you stay at VIU, things will be easy but you'll be unhappy, and if you go to SFU, you will have to work incredibly hard and you will want to die -- but the rewards will be well worth it." And about my career choice: "Acting is your dream, but it could also be your nightmare. Choosing to be a librarian is you running from something -- but fleeing is one of our instincts for a reason. Are you running for the right reasons?"

Thank you, Tarot, for clearing that up. /sarcasm.

Anyway, depending on how my phone call to SFU tomorrow goes, I may be choosing to move there by the end of this summer. And I feel split down the middle about all this, because it may mean extending my time in university (some of my courses may not transfer) -- but I'd get to Vancouver sooner. But, I'd be leaving the life I've built up in Nanaimo, and my nice basement suite, and my best friend who lives just down the road from me....

*flails*

Thoughts? Advice? Sympathy cookies?

Thanks in advance.

-Morag

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 04, 2011, 07:15:46 am »

Thoughts:
1) It will all be OK in the end. Really. I know it sounds like a stupid platitude--it IS a stupid platitude--but it's also true.
2) Burlesque? Cool! Not sure if there's a living in it, though; maybe pursue it on the side, for extra cash? That said...

Advice:
Do what you love, if at all possible. Something that you'd do anyway in your free time, but find a way to make it pay.

Sympathy cookie:
Here you go. Devour.

FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 04, 2011, 08:32:14 am »

Obviously I can't make the choice for you, but my experience has shown me that taking the riskier route to realize more opportunities and happiness paid off.

(((Morag))) *hands over sympathy cookies*

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
stephyjh
Master Member
Last Login:October 01, 2013, 01:56:16 am
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Celtic polytheist with Native American influences
TCN ID: stephyjh

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 04, 2011, 08:52:35 am »

My advice (watch out, there's no sugar in it)--there is Nothing Wrong with changing schools, if you feel like that's the most viable option for you. But I think there's a difference between making an informed decision based on what's best for you, as in the possibility of changing schools, and taking the safe route when you'd be happier somewhere else, which is how the library science program sounds to me. I don't think you'd have the relationship with tM that you have if you were intended to take the safe routes--my experience with her has been of the goddess of the hard way, who makes us fight the things we have to be brave enough to face.

Also, until you've talked to SFU, don't flail yet. Remember to breathe.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 04, 2011, 09:50:12 am »

You need to do whatever it may be that is best for you, whichever way that may be.

I haven't got cookies but will homemade chocolate tart do instead?

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 04, 2011, 11:13:45 am »

The hard thing is usually the right thing.  sigh.

No cookies, but I do have some Godiva chocolate liqueur...

AntlerandHerb.com
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 04, 2011, 12:41:37 pm »

Hm. Just cookies for now. Let me think about this (and I don't mean that as a lame excuse for not typing out advice). I can't guarantee that I'll come up with any other advice than what's been said, but I'll go to Our Mutual Friend with this on my mind.

((((Morag))))

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Inca
Master Member
Last Login:December 31, 2011, 11:49:06 am
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 04, 2011, 01:45:32 pm »

Going very simplisticly at this - what happens if you go looking for jobs anyway and cancel if things turn out differently? It is not the most elegant of ways but if that's what needed...

Other than that, I think I can only offer sympathetic thoughts.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 04, 2011, 02:39:25 pm »

Unfortunately all I have for you are sympathy cookies. ((((Morag)))) You have some tough decisions to make.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 04, 2011, 10:25:28 pm »

Not much to offer besides sympathy cookies except to say that I'm going through a similar safe vs. risky life choice at the moment and, well, um *offers more sympathy cookies*. These choices suck...

Remember though, neither choice is "bad". That's why it's so hard to decide. And whichever way things go I'm sure there'll be ups and downs, hopefully mostly ups. Best of luck with your decisions!

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 05, 2011, 01:23:34 am »

-Morag

Sympathy cookies galore. My advice would be go for the risky choice but only if you have a safety net or backup plan just in case. I mean as in if things go wrong how do you avoid living on the street type plan. If you can put together one of those than I thonk it gives you the safety to be able to make the choice that feels right.
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 06, 2011, 01:39:20 am »

Thanks in advance.

-Morag

I can only give the vague and slightly maddening adage of "Follow your heart."  You can't go wrong with that.

*hands over sympathy milk or sympathy almond milk (if you don't drink dairy or are lactose intolerant) for all those sympathy cookies*

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 06, 2011, 07:50:22 am »

Thank you, everyone, for the advice, cookies, chocolate tart, etc...I am feeling fat and sassy.

I have made my decision. I've looked at it every which way, done soul searching, and more Tarot readings (and my cards were a bit more forthcoming -- yay!). I'm staying at VIU, because it's the fastest way to my degree, and at this point I can't justify to myself spending another year or two to get this degree, when I can be done with it by April next year. (Also, Vancouver = bloody expensive. No way I'd be able to save up the amount I need to move there 6 months or more earlier than planned.)

I've also made further decisions:

-I'm not going for my MLIS after graduating from VIU.
-I am still moving to Vancouver, but now my plan is to enroll at SFU for a secondary undergrad degree, because that's what I really want to do. (My second degree will most likely be in English.)
-I am also going to be pursuing my career as an actor again as well as starting with the burlesque.
-I'm awesome.

I'm feeling a lot better now that my mind is made up, and I'll be feeling 100% again once classes start up!

I think the best part about deciding to pursue acting again is the outpouring of support my mom immediately gave me. It means it's the right thing to do -- my mom's reactions are the compass by which I set my course.

I'm not sure if that made any sense...so I'm going to quickly reply to a few specific posts, and then I'm off to bed.

Again, thanks everyone for your advice and sympathy. It meant a lot to me and gave me a lot of support while I battled this out. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: April 06, 2011, 07:59:25 am »

2) Burlesque? Cool! Not sure if there's a living in it, though; maybe pursue it on the side, for extra cash?

There is and there isn't...not in doing strictly burlesque, but in doing the other theatrical things that branch out from it as well. Melody Mangler, the queen of burlesque in Vancouver (in my view), is a big part of the Screaming Chickens Theatrical Society (which is member-run), and she does various other theatrical, film, acting-type things (including a bit in Caprica). I'm not sure if she actually makes a living from it, though.

So, I won't be quitting my day job just yet. (What day job?!) Wink

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: April 06, 2011, 07:59:42 am »

My advice (watch out, there's no sugar in it)--there is Nothing Wrong with changing schools, if you feel like that's the most viable option for you. But I think there's a difference between making an informed decision based on what's best for you, as in the possibility of changing schools, and taking the safe route when you'd be happier somewhere else, which is how the library science program sounds to me. I don't think you'd have the relationship with tM that you have if you were intended to take the safe routes--my experience with her has been of the goddess of the hard way, who makes us fight the things we have to be brave enough to face.

I know, right?

I realized in my soul searching that staying at VIU is actually the tougher choice -- because I am one of those people who has trouble doing the actual work with something that doesn't fully grab my attention or make me happy, staying here to finish my degree when I no longer have any faith in the University will be an incredibly hard task.

And then there's the acting...definitely not the safe bet. But the right one.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)