The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 25, 2020, 03:47:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2020, 03:47:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: (Admitting to) Loving the Gods  (Read 10427 times)
veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm
United States United States

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 05, 2011, 05:35:52 pm »

While I was at Paganicon 2011 we had a discussion regarding the fact that many pagans use words like "work with", "honor", "follow", and "worship" when discussing their relations with deity but do not use the word "love".  The individual bringing up the topic (an anthropologist) spoke about the overwhelming love for God (and/or Jesus) found in the African-American Baptist community and how members of those church communities are adamant and forthright in their statements that they love God and God loves them...and they worship within the context of this ecstatic love.

Since then, I've been wondering why there isn't more talk in the pagan community (or, at least in the ones I've frequented) about worship of deity from the angle of loving one's gods...and I thought it might be an excellent topic to be discussed here.

So, a few questions:

- Is your relationship with deity (if you have one) from a place of love?
- If so, do you admit it to anyone save yourself?  If not, why not?
- If your relationship is not from a place of love, is this something you'd like to experience?  Why or why not?

My answers in the next post.

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

veggiewolf
Adept Member
Last Login:November 14, 2014, 01:04:25 pm

Religion: Hoer of Onions / FlameKeeper
TCN ID: veggiewolf

Stop it, or I'll bury you alive in a box.

Blog entries (8)

veggiewolf morningwolfe

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 05, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »

My relationship with both of my deities is (now) from a place of love. In the beginning, though, I was too in awe of each to even think about the fact that I could love Them...and that They might love me.  Now that I am aware of it, however, it has given my interactions with Them a depth that was not previously present.

For me, acknowledging that my gods love me was part of my struggle with being lovable to anyone.  How could They love me when no one else could?  And then, once I realized They did love me, I kept it to myself for fear of seeming too fluffy, or too odd.

Guess my secret is out now, eh?  Wink

Ask me about FlameKeeping!

"I can't take HIS money; I can't print MY OWN money.  Why don't I just lay down and die?" - Homer Simpson
"My dream has been shattered into shards of a broken dream!" - Homer Simpson
Winter Lavender
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 05:55:13 pm

Religion: Suomenusko (The Finnish Pagan Faith)

"Ei savua ilman tulta."

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 05, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »

- If your relationship is not from a place of love, is this something you'd like to experience?  Why or why not?

What a lovely topic.

As I've stated on a couple other boards, Tapio and Mielikki are like a spiritual father and mother to me.  I feel love from both of them, and try to give it in return.  Their love is the quiet, patient type of love that pulls me steadily closer to both them and Nature.  I'm having trouble "loving" the other gods that I honour, though.  I would like to experience love with all my deities, if possible.  No one has really asked me if I loved my deities before...

I'm here to grow, to learn, and to live an organic life that will forever shimmer and dance through the Universe.

"Embracing the ancient
while trees gently whisper
those intimate
longed-for words
The greet wheel
is still revolving
with untouchable sovereignty
so invulnerable." ~Eluveitie
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 05, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »

Yes, very much so.

It took me awhile for me to admit this to myself.  It sounded too fluffy, too good to be true, and too Christian, oddly enough.  Since "Love" isn't frequently mentioned in Pagan circles, in terms of relationships with Gods, I didn't feel comfortable saying I felt that way about my Gods.  I think on some unconscious level I was afraid of losing my "Pagan cred." 

Eventually, after talking with some friends about their experiences, I realized I wasn't alone in feeling the way I do about the Gods. 

I think there are various types of love:  Parental love, friendly love, loverly love, etc.  We might feel any of these types of love toward our Gods.  They might also vary in intensity.  Not all types of love are "ecstatic" or intense.  Some of them are more comfy-cozy and relaxed.  Certainly, there is no love that is "ecstatic" all the time. 

Some relationships with Gods aren't "loving," but more transactional.  For example, offering to a given God for a specific petition.  With ongoing relationships, though, I'd have a hard time believing many people have them with no loving feelings.  Just because they aren't intense or ecstatic doesn't mean they aren't there. 

Off the top of my head I can think of at least one reference to "love" between the Gods and their humans.  Utterance 269 in the Pyramid Texts.  The person conducting the ritual offers their incense to the God and then says "I love you, Oh Gods.  May you love me, Oh Gods."

Of course I have also heard it translated as "desire", not "love," which aren't exactly the same thing.  Wink
NibbleKat
Adept Member
Last Login:October 22, 2012, 03:45:56 pm

Religion: Hard polytheist dedicated to Hermes, Sequana, and Sirona

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 05, 2011, 08:22:41 pm »

1. Yes.  Moreso for Hermes, who I have followed for a long time, but intensely for Sequana, who seems to be to be a goddess who is just... that. Love. Love itself. Mother's love. Sirona I am coming around to loving, but I need to know more of who she is before I can fully do it.
2. Yes! Here, and to pagan friends.
3. N/A, woo

Follower of Hermes!
------------------
Available for devotional and altar art commissions at http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Firaza
Master Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 08:59:38 pm

Religion: Modern Kemetic

Soul to heaven, body to earth.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 05, 2011, 08:28:09 pm »

Yes, I feel it is. My relationship with my Patron is one of a father and daughter, so I have a strong sense of familial love between us. I don't have a strong relationship with any other deity, but I treat the others with respect and pay homage to them. Anpu is the only one I can say that I love.

Yes, because I think if Christians can say they love their God, then I can say I love mine. It's simple as that, really!

Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 05, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »

Great topic!

Overall, I feel loving toward the gods, and I definitely love Belenos. I don't talk about it with anyone, though... my mother is very accepting, and a panentheist herself, but doesn't understand polytheism. My husband is agnostic/atheist/Taoist, and he's supportive and often interested in my ideas, but I don't feel that he'd understand. When we talk I approach the topic more from my head than from my heart. So even to those who know I'm a polytheist, I wouldn't say outright, I love my gods. We're talking about people who accept, respect, and love me unconditionally. This is really good food for thought... why wouldn't I be open about it? Is it my own doubts and uncertainty that hold me back?

And how on earth could they begin to understand polytheism if the one person they know who holds that belief doesn't talk much about it?

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 05, 2011, 08:55:32 pm »

Absolutely.

Yes, when the circumstances are appropriate - but usually not, because, lo, my family is stereotypically educated-British about its emotions, which is to say, we don't talk about such things much in public. (I will talk about loving ideas a lot in public. Or the cat. Saying I love other people - or deities - tends to happen only around close friends unless I very deliberately think about doing it.)

One of my favorite elders points out that we should have relationships with deities who love us beyond all reason (and who we love likewise), and ever since hearing that, it's been a really good way to frame my most important deity relationships.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
MarieBay
Apprentice
Last Login:June 26, 2011, 02:23:19 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 05, 2011, 10:01:49 pm »

Wow, nobody's ever asked me this before! I've been sitting here for a little while trying to figure out exactly how I feel about this...

1. Yes, I think so. My relationships with Them vary- it's very much an archetypal father/mother/daughter scenario, and like any family, there are times of intense closeness and times of distance. It would feel... strange not to come to Them with love and respect in my heart though, and I don't think I could have such a supportive experience without a reciprocity of that love. My brain needs to mull this over a little more.

2. I really haven't been thinking about this for very long, so... I don't know yet! At this moment I'm not comfortable with telling everyone I love my deities, but you folks are safe enough Wink

Infinite curiosity at work.
omoyemaya
Master Member
Last Login:April 13, 2011, 12:27:33 pm
Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S.

Religion: Santeria and Boricua bohique path

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 05, 2011, 10:15:47 pm »

Since then, I've been wondering why there isn't more talk in the pagan community (or, at least in the ones I've frequented) about worship of deity from the angle of loving one's gods...and I thought it might be an excellent topic to be discussed here.
I'm kind of noticing a bit of a trend in a lot of folks feeling a maternal/paternal connection with their deities and such. I admit that this is one of the reasons for my strong connection to Yemaya.

I really started getting heavy handed with her when I lived in the states away from home. My family system is highly matriarchal where every woman in our family generally becomes very maternal and supportive strong-willed and a bunch of other adjectives. When I lived in the states, i definitely needed that back in my life. I needed a mother to hold me, comfort me during some really dark times, and to push me aside while she knocked some bigoted mother-suckers' teeth in. And also because she was a mother and not my mom (if that makes sense) I could love her in ways I can't (and don't want to, for that matter) love my own mom. I can love her limitless mystery. I can be completely connected to her when she possesses me. I can love her sensuality (definitely don't want that with my mom), and other ways I can't even describe. No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea.

Please help my babies with a click.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #10: April 05, 2011, 10:24:16 pm »

I love my patron, yes, but it isn't what I'd call an "ecstatic" love.  It's...  I mean, it's a long-term relationship, you know?  Trying to maintain an ecstatic level of emotion over that period of time will burn you out.

I don't talk a lot about it, but not out of a desire to hide it.  It just doesn't come up a lot in conversation.  I'm not actively avoiding mentioning it, but I don't go out of my way to mention it either.

Other deities, who are in the pantheon I worship but I don't have as much of a personal connection to...  Eh.  For various values of love.  Some of them it's just kind of the love you have for that family member you think well of but don't really see much.  It isn't as strong with any other deity than Apollo.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
stardancer
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2012, 08:06:43 am
Norway Norway

Religion: Devotee of Gaia and Pan, and Athena

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 06, 2011, 04:39:58 am »

With Gaia and Pan - absolutely. For Mother it's an overwhelming feeling of being cradled and comforted, with Pan it's a mixture of protector, friend and sensual love. Athena and Sekhmet - it's more a feeling of appreciation and gratitude. I can love what they are helping me with, without the relationship going into ecstatic love territory. All the relationships have their ups and downs, intense periods and fallow periods, but I do love them.

I barely even admit to others that I have a personal relationship with individual deities, much less my feelings about it. My pagan friends seem to have more general God and Goddess concepts, and my husband is agnostic/atheist and just tacitly accepts that weird offerings occasionally are placed in the windowsill. I don't think he even knows who the offerings are for.

People are private and sceptical in Norway - admitting to strong feelings about something that one can't even prove? Just not done. Ecstatical forms christianity is very much a (somewhat ridiculed) fringe here.

Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 06, 2011, 04:49:05 am »

Yes it is was from a place of love but I wouldn't normally talk about it like that.

No I never have said anything like that before but that is because my friends don't even realise that I speak to my gods on a regular basis, they think it is a product of alcohol only. I also don't talk about loving anyone ever because it is just not something that is ever said in my family. (Except to my wee one who gets told it constantly.)
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 06, 2011, 07:08:22 am »

With Brighid and Morrigan, yes. My love with Brighid is...well. Like a hearthfire turned raging blaze. Most days it's smoldering coals, but sometimes it turns into this huge fire that consumes me. I'd call it ecstatic love those times.

The love I have with Morrigan is like the love I have with my hetero lifemate, except the Morrigan is harsher with me.

Manannan...I think I love Him? It's like an Uncle-Niece relationship between us. I'm definitely very fond of Him.

Not much, no. It's not the primary word I use, anyway.

-When talking with other Pagans it's largely irrelevant and -- to me -- pretty obvious, so I feel no need to mention it. It's not as obvious as I think it is, but my thinking it is obvious means I forget to mention it.
-When talking to non-Pagans there is a wide range of reactions and I am cautious of being burned.
-Subconscious need to disassociate from Christianity in all ways possible.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
disirdottir
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 08:50:41 pm

Religion: Mystic Reconstructionist Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 06, 2011, 02:45:48 pm »

While I was at Paganicon 2011 we had a discussion regarding the fact that many pagans use words like "work with", "honor", "follow", and "worship" when discussing their relations with deity but do not use the word "love".  The individual bringing up the topic (an anthropologist) spoke about the overwhelming love for God (and/or Jesus) found in the African-American Baptist community and how members of those church communities are adamant and forthright in their statements that they love God and God loves them...and they worship within the context of this ecstatic love.

So, a few questions:

Very interesting. . . I wonder if this might be a good topic for a panel at Pantheacon 2012, it could be cool to get the discussion going at another big event.

Question 1) Depends on the deity/relationship, but in several cases, yes. Numerous kinds of love - flat-out adoration (Ma'at), awesome big brother love (Nefertum), "mother of my ka" love (Sekhmet), older cousin/role model love (Aenghus and Caer), granddaughterly love (the disir/matronae; are they gods or ancestors or what? Eh, I'll count them). There's possibility for more in future, but as with people, I have more acquaintances than I have friends than I have loved ones.

Question 2) I'm not sure it's ever been a point of discussion for me to affirm or deny. Hm. It feels as though it's kind of unspoken but expected among my mystic friends, but outside of that I'm not sure it occurs to anyone that I might or might not.

Question 3) In some cases yes, in some cases no. I tend to let relationships find their own level, rather than targeting one in particular. There may come a point where I might say "appealing, but no more, thanks", if I feel I have all the relationships I can consistently maintain in a manner I find respectful, appropriate and fulfilling.

Regards,
-- disirdottir.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)