The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 04:50:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 04:50:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Giving a Proper Sacrifice.  (Read 3953 times)
Gwiwer
Apprentice
Last Login:May 12, 2011, 05:33:20 am
United States United States

Religion: unsure

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 08, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »

I've always felt a little shaky when giving sacrifices to the gods. (Hellene, BTW.)

I prefer to use things from nature or things I have at home since I don't have the money to buy any special supplies unless they are real cheap. I'd rather give something from my heart rather than "money".

I'm not exactly sure how to give a sacrifice. In my own way, I use my gift of poetry and writing oftentimes. Writing poetry or short stories based on certain myths about the god and offer it up to them. But if I can't write that day, what would be a good sacrifice to give? (Note: can't do food. My mom is not used to my beliefs.)

As a writer and a poet, I think writing poems and stories is an excellent idea. I don't think people who aren't serious about writing ever really understand how much time, effort, and energy can be required to write even a simple poem or story. As long as you are really putting serious effort into your writing and not just dashing off something quick just to get it done, I don't think you have any reason to feel self-conscious or think of your poems and stories as something trivial or insignificant. You're taking your time and energy to put an intimate and significant part of yourself into that piece of writing, and that's not something you, or anyone else, should feel the need to denigrate or take lightly. In fact, in many ancient cultures, poetry was considered to be an incredibly powerful thing. To the ancient Celts, poets were some of the most powerful members of society because poetry was so highly respected that everyone was quite keen to stay on the poet's good side lest they should decide to use their poetic powers to compose something negative about you. I don't think the ancient Greeks were quite that intensely respectful of poetry, but they still had a fairly high amount of respect for the poet. So, I personally think what you are doing is quite good. I mean, just about anyone could go to the supermarket and pick up some various inexpensive food items. How many people could write a good poem or story, though? Not quite as many. Poetry and storytelling are very special talents and I don't think you should ever allow anybody to try to lessen the importance of those talents. I would suggest you continue on dedicating yourself to honing your craft. It's something that makes you special and unique and I think that's certainly something worthy of respect. 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)