The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 28, 2022, 04:26:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2022, 04:26:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Needing Help...Please reply and help me  (Read 5179 times)
suthernbelle86
Apprentice
Last Login:April 22, 2011, 11:05:55 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagam

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 06, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »

I was wondering if it's possible to be a Christian Wiccan? I know it may be a two edged sword. With Paganism being pagan, and Christianity being Christianity. In Wicca are we allowed to choose which God or Goddess we want? Can I choose God as my God and use magick through him? I'm kind of confused. I was brought up as Christian and choose God, but i'm also very drawn to Wicca. Any kind help would be greatly appreciated. Please help me and reply.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 06, 2011, 04:44:58 pm »

I was wondering if it's possible to be a Christian Wiccan? I know it may be a two edged sword. With Paganism being pagan, and Christianity being Christianity. In Wicca are we allowed to choose which God or Goddess we want? Can I choose God as my God and use magick through him? I'm kind of confused. I was brought up as Christian and choose God, but i'm also very drawn to Wicca. Any kind help would be greatly appreciated. Please help me and reply.

There are different branches of Wicca with different theologies; how you approach your gods will vary based on the kind of Wiccan you are. You might view the God and Goddess as encompassing all gods and goddesses, sometimes manifesting as individual deities. You might only worship one Lord and one Lady. You might view them as the divine, procreative sparks within nature that help life to flourish and end it when it's time.

What draws you to Wicca? What aspects of Christianity are you looking to keep?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
suthernbelle86
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 06, 2011, 05:22:46 pm »

There are different branches of Wicca with different theologies; how you approach your gods will vary based on the kind of Wiccan you are. You might view the God and Goddess as encompassing all gods and goddesses, sometimes manifesting as individual deities. You might only worship one Lord and one Lady. You might view them as the divine, procreative sparks within nature that help life to flourish and end it when it's time.

What draws you to Wicca? What aspects of Christianity are you looking to keep?

What draws me to Wicca is the curiosity of knowledge on it, the magic of it, and how Wiccan's aren't so quick to judge as Christians so often do. I have been know to judge but not so much as others. I don't know I can't explain what exactly it is about Wiccan that i'm drawn to.
 The only thing is i've always been taught that there is only one God. And that "thou shalt have no other god's before Me". What draws me to Christianity is that I like to believe there is one all mighty God. And it's all I know. I don't want to go to hell because God see's me as a witch. I got saved when I was 20. So I accepted God into my heart. And that will never go away.
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 06, 2011, 05:27:44 pm »

I was wondering if it's possible to be a Christian Wiccan?

I'm sure there are people calling themselves Christo-Wiccans or Christopagans out there, but I personally can't see how one can worship both 'the one and only god' and one or more god(dess)es.

So no, I feel that Christian Wicca is a cop-out. Christian witchcraft, on the other hand, is another thing entirely, and quite possible, though I haven't studied it myself. Mainly because Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is, you know, a craft.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 06, 2011, 07:10:20 pm »

What draws me to Wicca is the curiosity of knowledge on it, the magic of it, and how Wiccan's aren't so quick to judge as Christians so often do. I have been know to judge but not so much as others. I don't know I can't explain what exactly it is about Wiccan that i'm drawn to.
 The only thing is i've always been taught that there is only one God. And that "thou shalt have no other god's before Me". What draws me to Christianity is that I like to believe there is one all mighty God. And it's all I know. I don't want to go to hell because God see's me as a witch. I got saved when I was 20. So I accepted God into my heart. And that will never go away.

But...how do you feel about Wiccan doctrine?  Do you share Wiccan beliefs?  Or Christian beliefs? 

I'm not a practitioner of either of those religions, but it seems to me that the threshold question is which set of beliefs works for you?

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 06, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »

I see myself as a pre-Nicene Christian, which I also see as being a pagan practice.   After the Nicene Creed was proclaimed as the basis for being a Christian, that version of Christianity IMO stopped being a pagan practice.

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 06, 2011, 10:27:26 pm »

I see myself as a pre-Nicene Christian, which I also see as being a pagan practice.   After the Nicene Creed was proclaimed as the basis for being a Christian, that version of Christianity IMO stopped being a pagan practice.

I'd love to hear more about that. What do you believe/practice?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
suthernbelle86
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 06, 2011, 11:20:31 pm »

I'm sure there are people calling themselves Christo-Wiccans or Christopagans out there, but I personally can't see how one can worship both 'the one and only god' and one or more god(dess)es.

So no, I feel that Christian Wicca is a cop-out. Christian witchcraft, on the other hand, is another thing entirely, and quite possible, though I haven't studied it myself. Mainly because Wicca is a religion and witchcraft is, you know, a craft.

You are right about everything you have said here GillyFlower. I think I'm going to look into the Christian witchcraft. Maybe that's the path I need to take once researched.
Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 06, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »

What draws me to Wicca is the curiosity of knowledge on it, the magic of it, and how Wiccan's aren't so quick to judge as Christians so often do.

You don't have to be Wiccan do be non-judgmental.   Smiley

You say you're drawn to "the magic of it."  What draws you to magic?  What do you want your magic to do? 

Are you looking for magic to make you feel closer to God?  Magic to help you find a partner?  Magic to make your hair curly?   "Magic" has many purposes, and many methodologies.  If magic is all you want, you can practice magic without being Wiccan.   

Wicca isn't a monotheistic religion.  There is no way around that.  Also, if you're worried God is going to send you to hell for Witchcraft, you need to address those fears before going forward.  Maybe you need to sit down and have a long conversation with your God, and make some decisions about what's acceptable.  If you pursue magic from a place of fear, you're not going to get anywhere with it.

FWIW, there are plenty of witches on this board who have been witching along for years without incurring the wrath of God.  I think the whole idea of going to hell for practicing magic is a load of horsefeathers, but you're free to believe as you will. 

There are forms of occultism that are informed by Hebrew and Christian mysticism.  Those sorts of systems involve working with the names of God or angelic beings.  I don't know much about those systems, though.  My brief dabbling in such things was from a very Pagan standpoint (See Ellen Cannon Reed's "A Witches Qabala"), so I'm not particularly helpful. 

Torkie
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 14, 2011, 01:22:07 pm

Religion: Nonreligious

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 07, 2011, 01:22:06 am »

When I first started looking in to paganism, I was very Christian (or at least, I wanted to believe I was very Christian). I had several problems with Christianity and several problems with paganism.

I couldn't find any spirituality in the church. I would go home after the service and recreate rituals in my overgrown backyard to try and capture some of the spirituality I desperately needed.

I felt close with Jesus, but not God; I was very afraid of God and felt no personal connection; and I couldn't quite grasp the concept of the Holy Spirit.

The Christian doctrine and dogma is extensive and complicated. I felt lost and persecuted when I asked what I thought were basic questions... "What is sin? Why does God hate his people? Why does he punish us for not being perfect?"

As for paganism, well, I just didn't want to burn in hell. But it was to no avail; ancient gods had fascinated me since I was very young; mysticism and magic transfixed me. But I also had problems with Wicca. I didn't particularly bond with a Goddess figure, and the "newness" of the religion bothered me. That was before I discovered, of course, that Wicca is most assuredly not the only pagan religion.

How do I reconcile what I believe with what I want? I identified the parts of paganism that attracted me and kept those along with my belief in the Christian god. For example, I believe other gods and goddesses exist; I have no problem talking with them, as long as I don't worship them, and magic is a tool usable by anyone (there are uncountable instances in the Bible where God's most loyal followers used magic to fight for his cause).

The key is finding out what you really want without sacrificing what you believe in. It can be done, and you don't need to convert to another religion to do it.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Spectacular Views
Journeyman
Last Login:June 10, 2013, 02:21:49 am

Religion: Can being confused count as a religion?
TCN ID: SpectacularViews

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 07, 2011, 03:36:29 am »

As far as burning in hell goes there's a recent thread with some helpful advice here: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=15828.0

What particular branch of Christianity are you a part of?  I ask because it will make it easier for us to understand exactly where you're coming from.

I came from the very conservative evangelical, pentecostal church/movement.  The fear of hell was something that was so ingrained in me since childhood that sometimes it still pops up, despite the fact that I don't subscribe to being sent to hell, if there even is such a place, for having different beliefs and practices than that of Christianity.  That fear can be crippling, but it's something that can be overcome. 

Also, many people are Christian but view many parts of the Bible as more allegorical than truth.  It's the meaning behind the story not the actual details in the story.

Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 07, 2011, 03:53:35 am »

You are right about everything you have said here GillyFlower. I think I'm going to look into the Christian witchcraft. Maybe that's the path I need to take once researched.

I asked my stepmother (who has the most kick-ass google-fu I've seen), and she's come up with a couple of addresses that could be useful to you. Best of luck!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thechristianwitch/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thechristianwitchcourse/

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
mlr52
Master Member
Last Login:April 05, 2016, 04:47:17 am

Religion: Unitarian Universalist
TCN ID: mlr52

ACT OF FAITH LABYRINTH

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 07, 2011, 07:06:32 am »

I'd love to hear more about that. What do you believe/practice?

I follow what Jesus preached, not any Church or Denomination.  I believe he was an extra ordinary prophet, and human.

Christianity was a faith of the people, with each group, or sect determining for themselves how and what to practice, not from a central authority.

The Council of Nicene changed that permanently, and proclaimed the concept of the Trinity. The idea that there is a Trinity is not supported by anything in the Bible.  Another problem is that the some of the different versions of the Bible are different from the original, some in wording, and some in content.

The Nicene Creed stated what a Christian had to believe, anything else was Heresy and not acceptable. 

Light your candle.
In Love and Service, Blessed Be.

A Notary Public for The State of New York, I Live in Brooklyn, Work in Manhattan - No Fee
suthernbelle86
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 07, 2011, 01:26:45 pm »

You don't have to be Wiccan do be non-judgmental.   Smiley

You say you're drawn to "the magic of it."  What draws you to magic?  What do you want your magic to do? 

Are you looking for magic to make you feel closer to God?  Magic to help you find a partner?  Magic to make your hair curly?   "Magic" has many purposes, and many methodologies.  If magic is all you want, you can practice magic without being Wiccan.   

Wicca isn't a monotheistic religion.  There is no way around that.  Also, if you're worried God is going to send you to hell for Witchcraft, you need to address those fears before going forward.  Maybe you need to sit down and have a long conversation with your God, and make some decisions about what's acceptable.  If you pursue magic from a place of fear, you're not going to get anywhere with it.

FWIW, there are plenty of witches on this board who have been witching along for years without incurring the wrath of God.  I think the whole idea of going to hell for practicing magic is a load of horsefeathers, but you're free to believe as you will. 

There are forms of occultism that are informed by Hebrew and Christian mysticism.  Those sorts of systems involve working with the names of God or angelic beings.  I don't know much about those systems, though.  My brief dabbling in such things was from a very Pagan standpoint (See Ellen Cannon Reed's "A Witches Qabala"), so I'm not particularly helpful. 

Well what i'd like to do with my magic is first of all banish my sis-in-law for enduring 5 years of hateful, hurtful, and destructive things she has done to me. And I can't get rid of her. But I can now, she doesn't have to be apart of my life anymore. Especially when she has went as far to hurt me as saying "your child was a mistake, he should never have been born"...and this is her own nephew. Last Feb My son and I lost my husband, his father to the war in Afghanistan. And since then she's gotten worse. So not only do I have to deal with her childish and hurtful actions I am still grieving. She's put me through so much I have even gotten to grieve. She won't stop because she wont get help, she thinks she just fine. Yet clearly has anger and resentment issues towards me just because I was her brother's wife. Now that he's not here to protect me and keep her in line she's went all out. So first thing i'd like to do before banishing her is to cast a healing spell on her to heal her from her anger and resentment. Then I want to banish her, because she had her last chance and now she's lost it. There's no going back.
  I also want to cast healing spells on my dad (for his depression), my husband's Aunt (for her depression and as well as help her with her happiness as a whole, in her marriage, etc.) I also want to cast a healing spell on my best friend to help her with her fibromyalgia, I want to cast a binding spell on my son so that we will always be bonded together (which yes we are mother and son and we have a very close bond now, but I want to make it forever), I want to cast a protection spell on him and my family and friends, and then I want to cast a spell on my relationship with my boyfriend to mend our relationship in areas needed, as well as boost our...um...bedroom time. I'd like to use it to enhance my psychic ability and spiritually connect with my deceased husband. And lastly i'd like to help myself...mend my broken heart from loosing my husband, my depression, my self-esteem, my selfishness, etc. I want to use my magic to help others as well as myself.
  Wiccan still makes me curious, I just want to research it to know about it. Even if I don't practice it. I just want to know about it. But when it comes to God, and one has accepted him there's no changing that. I look at God as a big parent, He loves that person...let's them make their own decisions...if it's not one He'd choose then he punishes to make that person learn from their mistakes. The part I was worried about was serving other god's...when i'd just like to serve one. But I will pray and dwell with God on what i'm supposed to do, and work my magic through myself, my own energy, and through Him.
  I do REALLY appreciate you for replying and giving me some things to think about. I think maybe you've helped me discover my path and what I am wanting to do. By asking those questions and given time to think about them you've helped me search myself for the answers to my questions. Thank you so much  Smiley
suthernbelle86
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 07, 2011, 01:40:52 pm »

When I first started looking in to paganism, I was very Christian (or at least, I wanted to believe I was very Christian). I had several problems with Christianity and several problems with paganism.

I couldn't find any spirituality in the church. I would go home after the service and recreate rituals in my overgrown backyard to try and capture some of the spirituality I desperately needed.

I felt close with Jesus, but not God; I was very afraid of God and felt no personal connection; and I couldn't quite grasp the concept of the Holy Spirit.

The Christian doctrine and dogma is extensive and complicated. I felt lost and persecuted when I asked what I thought were basic questions... "What is sin? Why does God hate his people? Why does he punish us for not being perfect?"

As for paganism, well, I just didn't want to burn in hell. But it was to no avail; ancient gods had fascinated me since I was very young; mysticism and magic transfixed me. But I also had problems with Wicca. I didn't particularly bond with a Goddess figure, and the "newness" of the religion bothered me. That was before I discovered, of course, that Wicca is most assuredly not the only pagan religion.

How do I reconcile what I believe with what I want? I identified the parts of paganism that attracted me and kept those along with my belief in the Christian god. For example, I believe other gods and goddesses exist; I have no problem talking with them, as long as I don't worship them, and magic is a tool usable by anyone (there are uncountable instances in the Bible where God's most loyal followers used magic to fight for his cause).

The key is finding out what you really want without sacrificing what you believe in. It can be done, and you don't need to convert to another religion to do it.

Torkie I think i'm going along somewhat on the same path you are.
 The thing is though God doesn't hate anyone-I am explaining this just for the fact as so you know God doesn't hate anyone and He doesn't punish for spite or out of being mean. I know this has nothing to do with Paganisim but I just wanted you to know so you'd never be afraid. Just like I explained earlier in the topic. As a Christian- and I believe myself to be that because I have accepted God. I look at God as a big parent that you just can't see. He loves you, protects you (when you aren't doing wrong), He listens and answers prayers. But he will give you a decision on things. If you are deciding to...let's say steal something. I you choose to do it, He will allow it. And when you get caught you get punished. He punishes only to help you make better decisions and to be a better person. It's like being a teen...you choose to go out and drink at 15 you come home and your parents are pissed you made the wrong choice so they ground you (punish you) so that you can make better decisions in your life so you don't ruin your life in the future. And God and Jesus are one and the same. Jesus was just God as a man...in human form. It would be like a spirit taking on a human form. So if you are close to Jesus you are close to God.
   You are right about your last statement. I have just now come to find that out by reading everyone's posts here. And I greatly appreciate the fact that you all took time out of your day to read and reply to my question. It means allot. I use several different forums when I am researching and trying to find answers to my questions. This forum seems to have great. helpful, and caring people here...who answer other's questions. My last forum had 27 views on my topic question and no one replied. I think that's shitty but whatever.
    Anyways I have another question that i'd love answered if maybe some of you would like to help me out in my next topic? Please  Undecided

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)