The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:16:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:16:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tattoos as Sacrifice/Devotion  (Read 9729 times)
homers_child
Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 07:38:36 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 07, 2011, 11:31:49 am »

Anybody ever do this or think of doing it?

I have three tattoos but none of them are spiritually based. I'm planning on more that are dedicated to the gods. One specifically for Diana, her Greek name (in Greek, of course). Also, one of the Apple of Discord, since that myth has always been close to my heart.

What do you guys think about this?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 07, 2011, 11:32:43 am »

I have three tattoos but none of them are spiritually based. I'm planning on more that are dedicated to the gods. One specifically for Diana, her Greek name (in Greek, of course). Also, one of the Apple of Discord, since that myth has always been close to my heart.

For Diana... do you mean Artemis? Because Diana's Roman and her name would thus be in Latin. Wink

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
homers_child
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 07, 2011, 11:34:21 am »

For Diana... do you mean Artemis? Because Diana's Roman and her name would thus be in Latin. Wink

Yes, I'm totally aware! LOL. I use her Roman name out of respect. I keep her Greek name sacred and use it specifically in ritual. I believe that I should use her Roman name in general usage.
Cannaid
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 22, 2013, 09:32:37 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Celtic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 07, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »

Yes.  I have a tattoo that I had done after my Elevation to Priesthood ceremony.  I have a crow on my lower leg (among other tatts).  I chose to get this tatt at this time to honour my guide and all the gifts that have been given to me by crow.  I am looking to get another piece of work on my arm this spring.  This piece will carry a triskele and an element of fire for Bride. 

Now that I think on it, I carry a tattoo of any eagle and dreamcatcher that was done a few years ago.  Upon reflection it was done shortly after I got my name.  Coincidence?  I am beginning to think not although at the time I did not make the connection.

Kindness first and in all things...
disirdottir
Apprentice
Last Login:May 19, 2011, 08:50:41 pm

Religion: Mystic Reconstructionist Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 07, 2011, 03:24:06 pm »

I've been thinking of getting one of Cath Palug (Welsh) for several months, although recent events have led to me considering changing this to a lynx & raven one in honor of Lugos (Gaulish).

My husband is sad I'm thinking of dropping Cath Palug, but I'm not sure I want to be "that woman with all those Celtic cat tattoos."  Cheesy

Regards,
-- disirdottir.
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 07, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »

I have a tat on the inside of my left wrist that I got as a symbol of my dedication to Brighid and as an offering to Her (pic here), and I have a few others planned for Her. 

We actually have a few threads on this topic -- it seems to be especially interesting to posters here.  Cheesy  Just search for "tattoos" if you're interested in reading them.

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: April 07, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »

You might want to look through the Sacred Tattoos thread:
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=619.0

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 07, 2011, 09:41:01 pm »

I don't think they can really be considered sacrifices, since they are more for you than the gods. Still, if you want to do it as an outward sign of devotion, or for whatever purpose, go for it. Apparently the ancient Greeks were not really into tattoos and body markings, but it's not like ancient social attitudes need to dictate those of modern practitioners.

Personally, I'm not a fan of tattoos, so I wouldn't want any for myself.
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 07, 2011, 10:49:59 pm »

I have two for Apollo- one of the text of the 21st Homeric hymn in Greek across the top of my shoulders, and below it, a cypress tree going down my spine. I see them as sacrifice- I gave time, money and blood, and endured pain for them. For me, they have had a significant impact on my relationship with Him- well, the tree, in particular has.

I see these in particular as sacrifice, especially the tree, though I don't necessarily think that a tattoo having to do with the god *has* to be a sacrifice. I think it has a lot to do with the reason and intent

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
homers_child
Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 08, 2011, 01:59:07 pm »

. I see them as sacrifice- I gave time, money and blood, and endured pain for them. For me, they have had a significant impact on my relationship with Him- well, the tree, in particular has.

I see these in particular as sacrifice, especially the tree, though I don't necessarily think that a tattoo having to do with the god *has* to be a sacrifice. I think it has a lot to do with the reason and intent

This is my view as well and why I deem it a sacrifice. Like you said, it doesn't have to be, but it "can" be viewed as such. Especially the fact that I'm enduring pain, giving a very large amount of money, and giving a space of my body for them specifically for the rest of my days. I deem it very sacrificial. And of course, a large part of it is about devotion as well.

Thanks Star for the link to the Sacred Tattoos thread. I'm deeply sorry I didn't do a search first.
outlaw393
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 28, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »

Yeah, both of mine were done for this. I have a Valknot on my right shoulder, and the night before I got the ink I did a ritual and dedicated it to Odin. I have a Thor's Hammer on the other shoulder, and that was for the other God I sometimes deal with - Thor.
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 28, 2011, 08:28:00 pm »

... I see them as sacrifice- I gave time, money and blood, and endured pain for them. For me, they have had a significant impact on my relationship with Him- well, the tree, in particular has.

I am curious if you don't mind.  Do you also consider ceremony, ritual, rites, etc as sacrifice?  I am assuming you give of your time, money and possibly blood for that as well.  Even endure pain, discomfort and an assortment of other situations that could be less than pleasing.

Do I have any?  No.  Artemis is adament that I don't get one for her, though she has suggested that a combined one with Hekate may be allowable.  Hekate has shown me one (even included facets of Artemis) to get if I must just as long as it is not that foolish Hekate's wheel.  Bast & Pahket have made no comment either way.
KittyVel
Apprentice
Last Login:July 03, 2012, 12:40:32 pm

Religion: Kemeticism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 02, 2011, 02:50:20 pm »

I have several tattoos planned (one or two memorial tattoos for my best friend that died last November, three to represent my therianthropy, and possibly three to represent the god and goddesses I follow or one to combine the aspects of all three).  This kind of thing is very personal and meaningful, and I feel like it would be a great offering/sacrifice/devotion to the gods/goddesses.  I have yet to be able to afford any of these tattoos, but one of these days, after I've drawn out the concepts and have enough money saved up, I'll definitely be getting tattoos honoring my patron god and goddesses.

"Life is only a vision, a dream; nothing exists save empty space and you, and you are but a thought."

~Mark Twain's "The Mysterious Stranger"~
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 02, 2011, 03:23:17 pm »

I am curious if you don't mind.  Do you also consider ceremony, ritual, rites, etc as sacrifice?

Hmmmm.....good question.

Um, no, not exactly. Or maybe, depends on how I think about it- and I guess I think of it in both ways so yes and no at the same time. I see that which is given to the gods as a sacrifice and the ritual, ceremony etc as the process of making the sacrifice. So, for example, in the context of getting the tattoos to which I referred, the process of going to the shop, discussing design, handing over money, taking off my shirt, getting on the table and being there while the artist did his thing would be the process of the sacrifice being made. giving the time, enduring the pain (Yes, I know, I sound a little melodramatic with that phrase, but I stand firmly by the claim five or six hours of needles on my spine earns me the right to it :-P), shedding the blood and taking proper care of the healing process, and maybe even (I say maybe because the thought's now just occurring to me on this aspect, so I haven't really given it much consideration up to this point) the ongoing giving of a few month's time to recite the translation of the text that comprises part of the work when asked about it (I have the Greek text of the 21st Homeric hymn on my shoulders, and when asked what it says, I will give the translation, adding the silent offering of that moment as praise to Apollo)

The monetary transaction on my part is a sacrifice, but in a more mundane sense. It is not a sacrifice to the gods. Depending on how you look at it though, it could possibly be seen as being in honor of certain gods, as my purchase of services is contributing to the well-being of a highly skilled artist. I point that out as a bit of tangential thought, but I think I would really only take that under consideration if I was at all concerned about the worship of patron gods of that particular profession (I do know of at least one patron deity of tattoo artists, name skips my mind, but I believe it is a god from one of the Mesoamerican cultures though we could also be talking about patron gods of artists in a much more broad sense of art.) or if I knew that that particular artist or business was concerned with a particular patron deity. In which case, we might again be talking about a sacrifice in the sense of being offered to the gods. But...that's open for debate and I could see it being taken both ways.

As for an actual religious ritual/ceremony..like I said, could be seen both ways. It could be the process by which sacrifice is made. Or, taking the entire event and everything that goes into it as a big collective singular thing, it could be a sacrifice.

Umm....sorry, was that a little too long-winded and full of tangent and "this or that or both at the same time!"? I'd seen this post on the day that you made it,  but couldn't quite figure out how to answer it, I knew what I was thinking but couldn't quite put it all together. If this doesn't really answer the question for you though, feel free to let me know and I can try again

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
caelestisraven
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:49:58 am

Religion: Dianic Witch

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 02, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »

Very interesting thread. I just recently (like 2 weeks ago lol) got a crescent moon with a pentagram inside of it on the inside of my left wrist. I was only going to get the star but at the last minute decided to get the moon as well.

it is definitely a symbol of my faith. I absolutely love it. I think it is something that can draw my focus right away & it holds just deep meaning to me on so many levels.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)