The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 29, 2021, 02:47:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2021, 02:47:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What are the most notorious books on celtic neopaganism?  (Read 46668 times)
Gonner
Journeyman
Last Login:June 18, 2011, 08:45:00 am
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 09, 2011, 11:01:48 am »

I was reading the Steve Blamires thread and I thought Id pick up a copy and while I was there I got WITTA by edain mccoy... Ive heard the books bashed but Ive never read them and rather then jumping on the band wagon I think its a good idea to see for myself.

Can anyone recommend the best of the worst of celtic neopaganism?

edit:

I picked up a copy of thie Lebor Feassa Runda when it was being blasted by all and sundry and it turned out to be a great read from a literary perspective.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:09:35 am by Nuadu_Of_Kildare » Logged

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #1: April 09, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »

I picked up a copy of thie Lebor Feassa Runda when it was being blasted by all and sundry and it turned out to be a great read from a literary perspective.

You're joking right?  I read parts when he was posting great tracts of it all over the internet trying to convince people it was real and I can't imagine it being considered good from any perspective.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 09, 2011, 01:04:25 pm »

I've dedicated about half a shelf in my personal library to the bad books, just so I can respond to posts like these.   Cheesy

It's been a while since I've read them, but my votes for worst Celtic paganism books go to:

Witta:  An Irish Pagan Perspective, by Edain McCoy (IIRC, this book is the source of the "Great Potato Goddess" joke)
Celtic Myth & Magic:  Harnessing the Power of the Gods and Goddesses, by Edain McCoy (I think it's the height of arrogance to claim to be able to "harness the power of the gods and goddesses.")
Celtic Magic, by D.J. Conway
By Oak, Ash, & Thorn:  Modern Celtic Shamanism, by D.J Conway

As I said, it's been a while, but my memory of all both of these authors is that they just take Wiccish concepts and wrap them in Celtic images.

I suspect Kathy Jones might also fall into this category, but I haven't gotten around to acquiring any of her books yet.

There are also a few other authors who have tapped into the popular interest in Celtic paganism -- namely Tom Cowan, Frank MacEowan, and Caitlin and John Matthews -- but done a better job, IMO.  To me, though, these authors are doing something very different than McCoy and Conway.  They are more about relating their own experiences as context for providing the reader with suggestions for incorporating Celtic concepts into their own spirituality and tools to do so.  I know enough about Celtic history and mythology to be able to see the flaws in books like these, while also being able to use them to help me construct my own practice.  In particular, I've found Caitlin Matthews work, especially her Celtic Devotional, quite useful and inspiring.  

Just my $0.02.  Cheesy

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 09, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »

You're joking right?  I read parts when he was posting great tracts of it all over the internet trying to convince people it was real and I can't imagine it being considered good from any perspective.

Absent

It has no credit where recon is concerned and the neopagan rituals and sigils etc have no value for me but what I do value is represented in the book. An emphasis on and understanding of Irish tradition and the lad  has such an extensive knowlege of and insight into Irish mythology that he was able to write an almost seamless sequel to the book of invasions. If we hadnt had the occupation here Im sure what the book of invasions would have progressed into would be similar to Atkins myth. If he'd published it in the 80s or early 90s everyone would remember his name he's just behind the times now because the market has changed. He should have presented and legitimised the book differently... but its not the presentation but the material itself thats good imo.

Remember this book fooled people whove spent 50 years studying as celtic neopagans whatever ese Atkins can write like Tolkien.
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: April 09, 2011, 01:18:06 pm »

I've dedicated about half a shelf in my personal library to the bad books, just so I can respond to posts like these.   Cheesy

Sweet thanks for the list Cheesy

DJ Conway is great in the realm of cheese, if you compare Norse Magic with Celtic Magic they are identical except for deity names. Whatever that says about her what does it say about her audiance that they didnt notice? lol
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: April 09, 2011, 01:59:21 pm »

Remember this book fooled people whove spent 50 years studying as celtic neopagans whatever ese Atkins can write like Tolkien.

Who did it fool?  Every single place I saw it posted it got denounced, with more or less scholarship depending on what kind of place he pushed it.  In some places the scholarship was decried, in some the author's reputation and previous attempts at fame were brought up, and in some the book was seen as a thinly veiled appeal to racism.  The only people I saw who appeared to take it seriously were Akins himself and some pretty transparent sock puppets.

I think we had a thread a couple years ago.  *looks*  ah:

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=10179.msg170650#msg170650

Absent

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 09, 2011, 02:31:41 pm »

Who did it fool?  Every single place I saw it posted it got denounced, with more or less scholarship depending on what kind of place he pushed it

Im not going to name names, it would be bad charactor to talk about people who arent present. Really who it was doesnt detract from why I like the book it was an off the cuff remark. Having read the book I like it as a piece of literature.
Seren
Journeyman
Last Login:January 24, 2014, 04:19:00 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 09, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »

It's been a while since I've read them, but my votes for worst Celtic paganism books go to:

Witta:  An Irish Pagan Perspective, by Edain McCoy (IIRC, this book is the source of the "Great Potato Goddess" joke)
Celtic Myth & Magic:  Harnessing the Power of the Gods and Goddesses, by Edain McCoy (I think it's the height of arrogance to claim to be able to "harness the power of the gods and goddesses.")

~ Aster

I'd agree with all of these. I'd also add:

Scottish Witchcraft, by Ray Buckland
Celtic Sacred Landscapes, by Nigel Pennick

I'd say Buckland's book is pretty much the Scottish version of Witta. I got Pennick's book from the library and actually had to stop reading it, it was that bad.
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: April 09, 2011, 04:37:19 pm »

I got Pennick's book from the library and actually had to stop reading it, it was that bad.

Really? What was your problem with it?

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Seren
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 09, 2011, 05:11:32 pm »

Really? What was your problem with it?

Shoddy scholarship, painfully pointless mistakes, and a pan-Celtic approach that smooshed everything together, which I just can't agree with.

There were references to The Great Mother and frequent references to Iolo Morganwg and his writings that were taken as authentic that were a little WTF. At one point, he says that "Celtic lore tells that the first woman was a rowan tree and the first man an alder." (p23) I'm fairly sure this is from Wood-Martin (Volume I, I think), but Wood-Martin himself was drawing on Scandinavian evidence.

One of the pointless mistakes was,"In a Welsh poem attributed to Amergin..." (p18). I also found the references to 'Celtia' really annoying. I had to give up at the bit with the wheel of the year written in Celtic runes. 

Celtag
Journeyman
Last Login:August 26, 2014, 10:53:11 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan/Welsh Recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 09, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »

Edain McCoy's book Celtic Myth & Magick is pretty laughable. I bought it when i was starting out, and didn't know anything. But as I started learning more I realize this was a bunch of crap. I mean theres some things like a good glossary on the Gods & Goddesses, but the spells, and rituals and made up.
renegade_artist
Senior Newbie
Last Login:September 30, 2011, 04:43:07 pm

Religion: Celtic Polythesis

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 10, 2011, 01:37:17 pm »

I second all the above, and add anything that Edain McCoy has written with the word "Celtic" in it is tosh. I had someone recommended her "Celtic Women's Spirituality" book to me when they found out I was a Celtic Polytheist. At the time I hadn't heard of the woman, as I didn't and don't generally go to the metaphysical/spiritual sections of the bookstore for my books. But I saw it at a used books store and picked it up. Wow. It had me on a rampage, her linguistics are all wrong, she demotes most the male deities to "wizards" or some such while making up hierarchy for the Goddesses. I was thru the first chapter with a highlighter and a pen correcting and pointing out out right lies when my partner told me I just needed to put the book down lol.

Also the Druid Merlyn books by Douglas Monroe were pretty bad from what I remember.
Seren
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 12, 2011, 07:46:24 am »

An emphasis on and understanding of Irish tradition and the lad  has such an extensive knowlege of and insight into Irish mythology that he was able to write an almost seamless sequel to the book of invasions.

Yeah, so extensive and seamless, he crowbarred all of his 'mythology' into the Nazi Thule mythos  Roll Eyes I really don't know how you can support or defend that.
Gonner
Journeyman
Angola Angola

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 15, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »

Yeah, so extensive and seamless, he crowbarred all of his 'mythology' into the Nazi Thule mythos  Roll Eyes I really don't know how you can support or defend that.

Seren I didnt notice any of that can you tell me where it is?

The nazi thing has more to do with the author then the thule society or any part of german neopaganism in fairness. How would I support associating Irish culture with German culture?First Id point out that the thule society predates the Nazi party and its an example of the club tradition that originated in Germany and gives us our steriotypical grove and coven groupings today. Id go on to say Germany had a large impact on celtic studies for historical reasons so itd only be appropriate for that to be aknowledged in celtic neopagan literature (Atkins myths are lit.). I might point out the drastic unfairness of demonizing an entire chunk of german culture and ignoring all that country contributed, demonization of germany by other 'western' nations for their own ends means a lot of credit is not given where its due.

Though Id be more likely to put on a cartman voice  and say "I do what I want". Thats too much of an emotionally charged argument to produce anything positive.

What Atkins did was atleast a work of literature so it has some merit, Im reading that Blamires book now and its just waffle to excuse his system of energy work. If anyone is interested in a decent breakdown of the myths Prof muireann ni bhrolchain's 'an intro to early Irish lit.' is good... its not makey uppy neopaganism you have to makey uppy that bit yourself but it gives you an analysis that you dont ususally get outside journals.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #14: April 15, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »

1. This is driving me crazy - his name is Akins, not Atkins.  It's right there on the book cover you posted.

2.  It is beginning to feel like you started this thread specifically to defend Akins book - you barely mentioned the first two authors in your OP but you included a picture of Akins book cover while giving it a positive review, and you keep defending him while putting down or at least admitting to the flaws in the other bad books mentioned.

3.  Do you have a connection to this author?

Absent
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:44:51 pm by Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED), Reason: to rephrase part of point 2 » Logged

- Jack E. Leonard

L Cohen

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)