The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 02:08:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 02:08:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to write a prayer...  (Read 11007 times)
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am
United States United States

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 10, 2011, 12:45:08 am »

This is a very open-ended question, I realize there is no simple "how-to" answer, but I'm never one to turn away other peoples' insight.

How do you write a prayer?

As a bit of background, I need a bit of structure. Not in all aspects of life, but when it comes to my spirituality, I feel like everything's just SO BIG and thankfully my Deities are patient with me as I figure this out. (a very strange analogy comes to mind...<geek>my SO paid for a WoW account so I could play it with him and share that part of his life, and when I first started everything seemed so endless and open with no specific point and it drove me nuts. this is kind of the same way, without the "no specific point" bit; it's so endless and open and I'm so small)

I found a couple prayers written by others for Manannan, my patron, and I wrote them in a small little book that I keep with me throughout the day. I wrote a prayer for my cousin's baby when he was nearly dying from severe asthma, but it sort of felt like that wasn't completely my doing, it just sort of happened. What I want to do is write my prayers in this small little book so I have them with me, and I want them to be my own prayers, my own words to the God/desses, not always echoing someone else. (however pretty someone else's words might be...) I write creatively on the side and am definitely my harshest critic, I find everything wrong with every word I write, and it's the same with prayers when I try to write them. I can't shut off my inner editor-critic-snide-little-voice.

So instead of asking how I should write a prayer, I want to know how those of you that do, do it.

And if I have to sit here and flounder until I figure it out, that's fine. I floundered in WoW but have no out-leveled my SO by reaching level 80 before he did </geek now>, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually find a groove for prayer that works. I can almost hear Manannan chuckling that how I write prayers doesn't matter to Him; pretty sure He thinks it's silly that it matters to me.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: April 10, 2011, 06:24:21 am »

So instead of asking how I should write a prayer, I want to know how those of you that do, do it.

I don't generally *write* prayers.  I usually simply talk to Brighid and say what's in my heart.

However, I know many people prefer a more formal or structured approach.  You might be interested in The Pagan Book of Prayer, by Ceisiwr Serith.  It includes pre-written prayers, but also includes good sections on different kinds of prayers (words, gestures, etc.) and on composing prayers.  The author's website also includes a large variety of prayers that you could use as models.

I know this isn't exactly the kind of reply you're looking for, but I hope it helps anyway.  Smiley

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 10, 2011, 07:05:59 am »

I like 1000 World Prayers by Marcus Braybrooke. It's given me some ideas for how I want to structure my prayers.

What works best for me are short prayers that repeat and build on simple words/themes. Anything too long and complex, even though I might like reading it, I find impossible to use for devotion because I start focusing on the words more than the praying.

These two aren't pagan specifically, but they're examples of the kind of stuff I like and model my prayers on:

Wherever I go, only Thou!
Wherever I stand, only Thou
Just Thou, again Thou!
always Thou!
Thou, Thou, Thou!
When things are good, Thou!
When things are bad, Thou!
Thou, Thou, Thou!

- Hasidic song

O God,
give me light in my heart
and light in my tongue
and light in my hearing
and light in my sight
and light in my feeling
and light in all body
and light before me
and light behind me.

- attributed to Muhammad

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 10, 2011, 07:16:33 am »

Oh, forgot to say: there was something I read once about Egyptian gods having specific epithets. I have my own epithets (eg, 'gracious', 'hidden', etc) and I find that if even if I pray spontaneously, like Aster Breo does, using those standard epithets gives a sense of structure and continuity.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Sky Samuelle
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 09:19:47 am
Italy Italy

Religion: Polytheistic Solitary Witch, Hekate's devotee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 04, 2011, 03:37:57 pm »

This is a very open-ended question, I realize there is no simple "how-to" answer, but I'm never one to turn away other peoples' insight.

As a bit of background, I need a bit of structure. Not in all aspects of life, but when it comes to my spirituality, I feel like everything's just SO BIG and thankfully my Deities are patient with me as I figure this out. (a very strange analogy comes to mind...<geek>my SO paid for a WoW account so I could play it with him and share that part of his life, and when I first started everything seemed so endless and open with no specific point and it drove me nuts. this is kind of the same way, without the "no specific point" bit; it's so endless and open and I'm so small)

I found a couple prayers written by others for Manannan, my patron, and I wrote them in a small little book that I keep with me throughout the day. I wrote a prayer for my cousin's baby when he was nearly dying from severe asthma, but it sort of felt like that wasn't completely my doing, it just sort of happened. What I want to do is write my prayers in this small little book so I have them with me, and I want them to be my own prayers, my own words to the God/desses, not always echoing someone else. (however pretty someone else's words might be...) I write creatively on the side and am definitely my harshest critic, I find everything wrong with every word I write, and it's the same with prayers when I try to write them. I can't shut off my inner editor-critic-snide-little-voice.

And if I have to sit here and flounder until I figure it out, that's fine. I floundered in WoW but have no out-leveled my SO by reaching level 80 before he did </geek now>, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually find a groove for prayer that works. I can almost hear Manannan chuckling that how I write prayers doesn't matter to Him; pretty sure He thinks it's silly that it matters to me.

I usually start by listing the deities' various epitheths and attributes and elaborate on that.... then I end with 'I honor You' Grin

Simple, but it works for me.

Later, i can or cannot converse more informally with the portrait of that deity at lenght.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. ~ Anatole France
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 04, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »

I don't generally *write* prayers.

Me neither. But I have written one, and I use it often; it's become a kind of mantra.

Techniques I used to write it--

--Rhyming lines helped make it memorable for me

--Borrow! There's a poem whose rhythm and refrain have been etched in my memory since adolescence; I decided to harness the potency it held for my psyche by very nearly replicating that rhythm and an aspect of the refrain, but using my own words to express my link to the divine

--Know your purpose. What exactly are you trying to say?

I'm afraid that's all the insight I can offer on this.

darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 04, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

I don't really write prayers, rather I write poetry as a prayer.   I just let my heart speak out to the Deities and hope they hear. Smiley

Also, I've taken to letter writing as a form of prayer similar to a poem, but more formal.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 06, 2011, 12:48:55 am »

I have two methods.  The traditional Hellenic method and the less formal method I use personally.  The traditional Hellenic method follows several steps.  First you call apon whichever divinity you want help from.  This includes the use of epithets and retelling myths relevant to the task at hand.  Second, you say why they should help you.  Mostly done by reminding of precedent set by that time they helped you before, or they helped someone else do the same thing.  Then comes the actual request.  Usually finished with an offering.  Hellenic religion can be very transactional, the offering can take on a tone of bargaining.  "If you do x for me, I'll do y for you."  (Just make sure not to overextend yourself.  There are a lot of myths about retribution for broken promises.)

My personal method is extremely simplified.  It's expressed as an offertory set.  I pour out a sip of water (from my drinking supplies, so there is a deprivation element there) first for Hestia, for She is first and last.  Then I take a sip, sharing with them.  I continue alternating between offering sips to various divinities I think might have an interest in the matter at hand and taking sips for myself.  I end with offering "for Whomever else" and then Hesia last.  The sharing is half based on tradition.  A shared meal was a common thing, but it didn't have the same amount of offering context that I use.  Also not tradition is offering to a variety all at once.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Otter
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 11, 2011, 03:38:03 pm

Religion: Gardnerian Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 16, 2011, 09:47:10 am »

This topic is of interest to me, too. I once wrote a simple rhyming prayer/song to Brigid and for a while would sing it before I prayed to Her, but my liking for it diminished and nowadays I generally just sing the Hymn to Brigid by Isaac Bonewits. But I'd be interested in writing others, especially for Brigid as I believe a composition of my own words would be an appropriate offering for Her.

You might be interested in The Pagan Book of Prayer, by Ceisiwr Serith.  It includes pre-written prayers, but also includes good sections on different kinds of prayers (words, gestures, etc.) and on composing prayers.

Adding this to my reading list!

These two aren't pagan specifically, but they're examples of the kind of stuff I like and model my prayers on:

Wherever I go, only Thou!
Wherever I stand, only Thou
Just Thou, again Thou!
always Thou!
Thou, Thou, Thou!
When things are good, Thou!
When things are bad, Thou!
Thou, Thou, Thou!

- Hasidic song

O God,
give me light in my heart
and light in my tongue
and light in my hearing
and light in my sight
and light in my feeling
and light in all body
and light before me
and light behind me.

- attributed to Muhammad

These are absolutely beautiful! Though it begs another question, what do you guys think about appropriating prayers from other religions for pagan purposes? I could see these particular prayers easily crossing over, but is it an appropriate thing to do? Would it be disrespectful to address prayers intended for the Jewish God or the Muslim God to other Gods?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:27:25 pm by SunflowerP, Reason: editing quote code to provide trackbacks » Logged

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 16, 2011, 02:28:51 pm »

These are absolutely beautiful! Though it begs another question, what do you guys think about appropriating prayers from other religions for pagan purposes? I could see these particular prayers easily crossing over, but is it an appropriate thing to do? Would it be disrespectful to address prayers intended for the Jewish God or the Muslim God to other Gods?

Personally, I have mixed feelings on this. Depending on the attitude one brings to the new use of the prayer, I think this could work in one's private worship. I'd be circumspect about using it in a public setting, however, since it could lead to confusion, one's intentions could be misunderstood, and one leaves oneself open to charges of misappropriation.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: May 16, 2011, 03:41:26 pm »

Hi, Otter,

We generally discourage quoting multiple people in the same post, because the discussion is easier to follow (and easier for the mods to know who said what, if conflicts arise) if every quote includes the code that tracks back to the post being quoted.  I've fixed your post so that those codes are included, because this is a short thread and it was pretty easy to figure out where each quote had come from, but in future, we'd rather you made each of your replies in a separate post (unlike some forums, we have no objections to people making several posts in a row) so that the quote codes are retained.

This isn't a formal warning, just a clarification.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
madfox95
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 23, 2011, 12:43:20 pm
Estonia Estonia

Religion: It's complicated...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 16, 2011, 04:19:33 pm »

I read something that first you have to think about your family, then yourself and then gods - is it true, yeah?
And another one, I think about going into one religion and that is asatru. Do I need to write prayers to them and when yes then how?
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 07:33:31 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: May 16, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »

I read something that first you have to think about your family, then yourself and then gods - is it true, yeah?
And another one, I think about going into one religion and that is asatru. Do I need to write prayers to them and when yes then how?
Hi, madfox95,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion easier to follow, and it's required by our rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 17, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »

I remember my mom once told me to say the Hail Mary, so I changed it to the Hail Loki and changed everything appropriately (although I couldn't say "fruit of thy womb Sleipnir" without laughing). She didn't seem all that offended (she's Catholic) but she's pretty laid back about such things. I can imagine some of her friends taking offense to it, however. Of course, it's not something I would say around anyone else. I used it as a prayer once, but it's not really my style.

Plus, I'd rather come up with something on my own. It may not be elegant or have any kind of flow to it, but I don't think it matters so much. As long as it's sincere, I think it's good.
spoOk
Master Member
Last Login:November 03, 2011, 01:16:00 am
Canada Canada

Religion: pagan?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 04, 2011, 03:24:23 pm »

I remember my mom once told me to say the Hail Mary, so I changed it to the Hail Loki and changed everything appropriately (although I couldn't say "fruit of thy womb Sleipnir" without laughing). She didn't seem all that offended (she's Catholic) but she's pretty laid back about such things. I can imagine some of her friends taking offense to it, however. Of course, it's not something I would say around anyone else. I used it as a prayer once, but it's not really my style.

Plus, I'd rather come up with something on my own. It may not be elegant or have any kind of flow to it, but I don't think it matters so much. As long as it's sincere, I think it's good.

most ones I write come in a few forms:
specific to a certain spell or request,in which case they aren't very poetic but get the job done.

otherwise they are more like poems,they happen for me after a lot of time using prefab ones I found and I feel something working it's way to the surface in me to write down.

my biggest problem is in writing concrete endings/finishes,I'm never happy with them.

one I wrote just recently:

hekate,ancient goddess of time untold

goddess of earth,sea and sky

you who hold the keys 

to life,death and the witches mysteries

shining maiden,hold your torch high

twilight queen ,heralded by hounds

your guidance and power,on the edges to be found

watching over us,into and out of life

great goddess of witches ways

come,I ask of thee

be present in my work this night

watch over me,reside,preside

and guide my hand

lead me not astray

let the stars and all the seas

hear what i have to say.

hekate ,hekate,hekate

come,be at my side

hekate hekate hekate

your child is waiting 

faithful forever

this light,a torch, for you.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)