The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 25, 2021, 07:23:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 25, 2021, 07:23:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of "super witches"?  (Read 12378 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: April 14, 2011, 05:57:54 am »

WHat exactly was the name of this other forum. Might be interesting to go there for entertainment purposes. Smiley

Torkie has already declined to name the place (for which much thanks), so this isn't an issue anymore, but I still feel the need to mention:  I'm really uncomfortable with this sort of thing, as a member of staff.  It has the potential to turn into an invasion of sorts, and generally TC is really not interested in forum wars.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: April 14, 2011, 08:07:47 am »

When it comes to self-styled "super witches", what do you think of them?

If they are young teens (around 13-14), I just roll my eyes. Any older and I just laugh.

When people make incredible claims about their magical abilities, are you more inclined to write them off or believe them?

Write them off.

Do you think some people do indeed have powers like this?

Just about anything is possible, but I suspect those who brag like this instead of show are just bragging about things they have never done.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: April 14, 2011, 08:12:18 am »

You once summoned a prince of hell?

Anyone can summon a prince of hell... that's not impressive. Having the prince of hell actually show up when you summon him, now that would be impressive. (Especially as almost all the old medieval grimoires said that the higher ranks of hell do not appear if anyone is dumb enough to try to summon them.)

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: April 14, 2011, 08:46:47 am »

When it comes to self-styled "super witches", what do you think of them?

I'd love to join such a coven, but I draw the line at wearing my knickers on the outside. Nuh-uh.

And of course nobody challenged anybody's claims. You wouldn't risk having your bluff called by calling someone else's, would you?

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 14, 2011, 09:09:50 am »

How do you think I reacted when I picked my daughter up from school and one of her friends said to me' You know, I'm going to be a super powerful witch-I come into my powers on my birthday!'-she's 9! I nearly died trying not to laugh out loud! I don't know what her parents have been telling her or letting her watch, but I would love to know! Cheesy Grin Cheesy

I can tell you it wasn't "Kiki's Delivery Service." Everyone KNOWS that when a witch turns 13 she has to leave home and find her own place in the world. Good grief. :-)

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: April 14, 2011, 10:39:15 am »

In days passed it was: 'When I'm grown up, I will be a princess!" Wink

At least a powerful witch has more agency than most fairy-tale princesses.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #21: April 14, 2011, 11:30:13 am »

Weeeell, I never wanted to be a princess... so... tadaa! Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Legion
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:56:01 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Norse Paganism.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 14, 2011, 11:32:35 am »

Been a while since i've posted...

But anyway i have met some people claiming to have "super powers" like this. But most of them were dilusional or on some kind of substance making them dilusional. However much i do actually believe in energies or call them magic i don't believe it's meant to achieve things negatively.

With this i mean, curses, causing pain and even death. As from what little i've experienced is that what you put it gets returned in multitudes (say 3 fold for the sake of converstation) so using positive energy and a positive attitude will generaly give you a lot of positive energy back.

What these "Self proclaimed super witches" seem to do is demand things from their gods which is never a good idea to begin with. And they use what little abilities they might posses for negative means. Or to enrich themselves, which i consider borderline negative aswell.
So eventually it will destroy them (if they actually do have powers as they describe).

Honor and Wisdom.
Legion.

P.s. Many followers of wicca or other paganistic streams try to follow a positive path in general. This has it's reasons.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: April 14, 2011, 09:48:04 pm »

The one thing I noticed was that on the thread, nobody challenged anyone else. You see all auras, spirits, and energy plain as day? You once summoned a prince of hell? Fantastic, we have no reason to doubt you. Everyone assumed everyone else was being honest... either that, or they were all caught up in the same delusion.
Third alternative:  no one actually believed anyone else, but it's Just Not Done to say so; that shatters the illusion of pagan fellowship, harmony, and like-mindedness Roll Eyes.  This is pretty much in line with what others have said about people not challenging others lest their own BS be challenged, but even those who aren't spinning yarns themselves don't issue challenges, either because they really, really want to believe in the "pagans never disagree" mythos, or because that mythos is embedded in the culture of that community.  No point in challenging it when all it'll get you is a pile-on about how disruptive you are, and ostracization if you don't back off and apologize.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
WhiteSong
Apprentice
Last Login:July 16, 2011, 12:23:12 am

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 22, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »

Third alternative:  no one actually believed anyone else, but it's Just Not Done to say so; that shatters the illusion of pagan fellowship, harmony, and like-mindedness Roll Eyes.  This is pretty much in line with what others have said about people not challenging others lest their own BS be challenged, but even those who aren't spinning yarns themselves don't issue challenges, either because they really, really want to believe in the "pagans never disagree" mythos, or because that mythos is embedded in the culture of that community.  No point in challenging it when all it'll get you is a pile-on about how disruptive you are, and ostracization if you don't back off and apologize.

Sunflower

I saw this problem on another forum once. The rules weren't clear cut. So, many of the forum goers--me included (I was fairly new)--would just ignore (avoid) posts that seemed to be lies. One or two members--especially one-- would always respond to them. Finally, that person got kicked off the forum, with a whole lot of other innocent bystanders. Granted--it is one thing to confront someone about seemingly illogical or unlikely statements, but another thing to get so over-confident as to call names like "crazy", "delusional", etc. Some of the people who left were just analytical thinkers, though--and not being offensive.

It just shows the value of polite disagreement. On this forum (ecauldron), I have accidentally said BS (about Mel Gibson), and been called on it. Because I am not intentionally trying to pull wool over people's eyes, and because I know that I have made mistakes in the past, I appreciated the comment and agreed with the fact that my statement was BS.

As for the "Super-witches"--I generally don't believe people. I ran away from home when I was 17 and lived with homeless people for a portion of time, and met all kinds of nice people. People who begged for money because they were pregnant when they weren't, people who asked me if I wanted to clean their boat--only to actually want me to "play for pay"(wink wink, leer leer)--and I tend to have a strong radar for BS now.  That being said, all homeless people aren't like that--all rich Yacht owners aren't either. But I am confident that there are liars in every category of life--religious, economic, gender, ethnic, etc. That is how I explain these super-witches, and until someone proves me otherwise, I am perfectly content being suspicious of their claims.

Also, I once worked with a little girl who lied about stealing her friend's cell phone. She told the truth --only after I told her that I would still like her even if she admitted to lying...but I tend to draw my therapeutic line across the boundary between child and adult. Ultimately, though, I think it is beneficial to have a policy of polite disagreement, and trustworthy moderators, for a forum.
Vermillion
Journeyman
Last Login:December 29, 2013, 04:32:42 pm

Religion: Witchcraft Practitioner- Naturist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: May 06, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »

A couple of days ago I (briefly) joined another pagan forum. I saw a thread on that forum with the same theme as a thread we have here. The theme is, "what is your specialty", magic-wise. Most people here posted things like "I'm pretty good at Tarot", or, "I communicate well with stones and I can use herbs well in magic."

The responses on the other forum, though, suggested a coven of highly trained super witches lived there. Their responses went something like this:
"My money spells have earned over $20,000, I can control the weather, and I'm an expert in 5 types of divination."
"I can talk to electricity and I can do super realistic glamors... I can even change the color of my hair any time I want!"
"I've cursed 3 people, and all of them died within 2 months. I can kill plants and small animals just by touching them. I once sent bad energy at a girl I didn't like and she got so sick she had to leave school for the rest of the year."
"I don't know, all the gods just seem to love me. They give me whatever I ask for. I can pray to any god and I'll get whatever I want."

When it comes to self-styled "super witches", what do you think of them? When people make incredible claims about their magical abilities, are you more inclined to write them off or believe them? Do you think some people do indeed have powers like this? Have you ever met anyone in real life (not on the Interwebs) that claimed these abilities? Have you ever seen anyone prove talents such as this?

I am inclined to write people like that off, but then again, I'm singularly solitary.

You'll find those all over paganism and witchcraft. I write these people off the second I hear or read anything from them. Theey do this stuff to impress people, it fails......hard. I don't write them off because I believe in some karmic justice that keeps them in line despite what they say, I write them off because they're full of malarkey. Karma has nothing to do with it, I don't believe in karma, or the 3 fold yarn. These people are just flat full of it.

Whitesong's post said it better than I could. People are full of it. Habitually, I don't trust what people tell me as a general rule, and definitely not in that case.
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: May 07, 2011, 02:52:43 pm »

I wanted to be Ursula the sea witch, queen of the oceans!

Turns out I got to be a queen after all.  Tongue

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #27: May 07, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »

I wanted to be Ursula the sea witch, queen of the oceans!

Turns out I got to be a queen after all.  Tongue

And I wanted to be Maleficent.  Sure I got the evil down pack, but I still don't have those cool powers....or that outfit.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Syncearae
Journeyman
Last Login:October 15, 2012, 12:47:57 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan with Native American beliefs

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: May 08, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »

A couple of days ago I (briefly) joined another pagan forum. I saw a thread on that forum with the same theme as a thread we have here. The theme is, "what is your specialty", magic-wise. Most people here posted things like "I'm pretty good at Tarot", or, "I communicate well with stones and I can use herbs well in magic."

The responses on the other forum, though, suggested a coven of highly trained super witches lived there. Their responses went something like this:
"My money spells have earned over $20,000, I can control the weather, and I'm an expert in 5 types of divination."
"I can talk to electricity and I can do super realistic glamors... I can even change the color of my hair any time I want!"
"I've cursed 3 people, and all of them died within 2 months. I can kill plants and small animals just by touching them. I once sent bad energy at a girl I didn't like and she got so sick she had to leave school for the rest of the year."
"I don't know, all the gods just seem to love me. They give me whatever I ask for. I can pray to any god and I'll get whatever I want."

When it comes to self-styled "super witches", what do you think of them? When people make incredible claims about their magical abilities, are you more inclined to write them off or believe them? Do you think some people do indeed have powers like this? Have you ever met anyone in real life (not on the Interwebs) that claimed these abilities? Have you ever seen anyone prove talents such as this?

I am inclined to write people like that off, but then again, I'm singularly solitary.

I tend to approach such people with a healthy dose of sceptism. I believe that in a single moment when the large multitude of variables line up correctly that such things are possible. Because of all the factors I do not believe it at all likely for someone to maintain those gifts. If where able to use those gifts any time they wanted, I don't believe they would talk about it.

I also believe that if they had such gifts along with it they would be responsible, and cautious because the damage that could be done just to the individual by misusing or not thinking things through before using thier gifts would most likely be very devastating.

I think that peoplle who boast such claims
A) are young
B) have self esteem issues
C) are trying to get a reaction out of people
D) delusional
E) other form of psychological issue

Now if someone I know and trust is sharing with me how one day they did something near miraculous that they did not think was possible,told me it in a highly detailed and knowledgable way and they are still amazed that they did it, and nothing close to it has happened since, then I would be inclined to believe them. (sorry for the run on sentance)

I generally don't trust people who make outrageous claims or caim to have some great knowledge when they don't even appear to know the basics. I also have issues with people who find experiences out of books, movies or other outlets and tell them in an exagerrated way as if it had happened to them.

Balance that is unbalanced to maintain balance.
Life is what you make yourself (into).
Dufonce
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 06:30:20 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: May 10, 2011, 11:05:04 am »

It sounds like a thread that was on the forum I previously was a part of, however if it was, this post has been blown largely out of proportion and heavily exaggerated. It could be another forum though because I can totally see people making claims like this trying to pose off as super powerful rather than fluffy bunnies. lol. However you cant always put down the thought, there is a lot that we dont know about spirituality as well as the human mind.

I once as a kid saw a shadow of the grim reaper swipe his scythe at my PE coach... a few years later he died of cancer. I feel like I coulda told him to see a doctor and get checked up and they might of caught it early. But that would of required an adult to take into account the word of a 3rd grader.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)