The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 07:58:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 07:58:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brighid and Hecate  (Read 12608 times)
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 14, 2011, 08:39:36 am »

I came across this as I was browsing the net last night:

In some traditions January 31st is the night that Hekate hands Her torch to Brigid, whose arrival is celebrated at Imbolc.

This seems to parallel the cycle of the Holly King and the Oak King, who each rule one half of the year: Hekate carries the torch through the dark half of the year, while Brigid takes it for the light half. Some suggest that Hekate and Brigid are sisters who share the torch.

All this may seem very odd, given that Hekate is Greek and Brigid Celtic. But traditional beliefs that evolve over time may have little to do with historical origins.

Both Goddesses are very ancient, and have been worshipped in Britain for centuries, so who is to say what relationship may have developed between them?

Now, whether there's scholarship or not supporting this, it certainly explains why I, as a follower of Hecate without any other interest in the Celtic pantheon, felt called to start keeping flame and join this Cill. I'd love some perspective from the rest of you, though.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #1: April 14, 2011, 12:11:54 pm »

Now, whether there's scholarship or not supporting this, it certainly explains why I, as a follower of Hecate without any other interest in the Celtic pantheon, felt called to start keeping flame and join this Cill. I'd love some perspective from the rest of you, though.

I'm curious as to where you found this? And exactly what tradition it allegedly comes from.

I work with Brighid and Hekate, and while they have some similarities/overlap of interest, I don't think that necessarily means anything, nor that a follower of one would be especially inclined to become a follower of the other. Sometimes that's just the way it works out.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Gillyflower
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: April 14, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

I'm curious as to where you found this? And exactly what tradition it allegedly comes from.

I work with Brighid and Hekate, and while they have some similarities/overlap of interest, I don't think that necessarily means anything, nor that a follower of one would be especially inclined to become a follower of the other. Sometimes that's just the way it works out.

The page came up on a search for chthonic deity symbols.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pontoon/2457/id110.htm

I don't know if it's cached, but no link from that page will work for me.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #3: April 14, 2011, 12:50:45 pm »

The site is active, you just have to click on the "skip this ad" link to get back to the main page. As for the site itself...oof. I could have done without the music! While her history isn't as atrocious as it could be, there are several places where she contradicts herself, and I couldn't find a single citation anywhere I looked, nor reference to whatever tradition she seems to be speaking of. All I can deduce is that it is some brand of Neo-Wicca.

At any rate, if you find it inspirational, great, but I wouldn't put any more faith in the information provided than that.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 14, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »

What Juni said.   

The obvious point to make is that Hecate and Brighid come from different cultures/pantheons.  The website author gets around this by saying both goddesses were worshiped in Britain, so there were probably stories of them interacting.  While that might be true, I'm not aware of any stories about the two of them interacting from the pre-Christian period.  (If anyone knows of any, please give sources.  I'd love to read them)  A story like that would probably be a much more recent invention, I'm guessing no older than the 1900s and possibly much more recent.

Also, my first thought when I read your post is that this story sounds a lot like the Scottish myths about The Cailleach and Brighid.  Basically, The Cailleach (sometimes called Beira) is the winter hag who imprisons Bride during the winter.  Spring can't come until Bride is rescued.  One version of this story is "The Coming of Angus and Bride", from Celtic Wonder Tales, Donald MacKenzie.)  The idea of Hekate (often considered a crone goddess in more recent stores, although, IIRC, She was not thought to be a crone by the ancient Greeks) carrying a torch during the winter and handing it off to Brighid in the spring echos this theme. 

Personally, I wouldn't put much faith in this claim.  If you find it inspirational, though, use it.  Smiley

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Gillyflower
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 14, 2011, 01:49:56 pm »

While that might be true, I'm not aware of any stories about the two of them interacting from the pre-Christian period.  (If anyone knows of any, please give sources.  I'd love to read them)

That's exactly what I was hoping to get, too :-) Whether someone does find sources, though, I got pointers to some extra reading material into the bargain. Thanks!

Gillyflower
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 14, 2011, 01:53:58 pm »

I could have done without the music!

I got told I needed extra plugins to display the page properly. I think I'll do without them! Cheesy

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 14, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »

That's exactly what I was hoping to get, too :-)

Yeah...  Don't hold your breath.  Cheesy

I'm not expecting to find anything any more reliable than the website you linked to.  I'm pretty sure there aren't any pre-Christian stories that link Brighid and Hecate -- I think I would have run across them by now in my Brighid research.

But you never know, right?   Wink

~ Aster

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 14, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »

Also, my first thought when I read your post is that this story sounds a lot like the Scottish myths about The Cailleach and Brighid.  Basically, The Cailleach (sometimes called Beira) is the winter hag who imprisons Bride during the winter.  Spring can't come until Bride is rescued.  One version of this story is "The Coming of Angus and Bride", from Celtic Wonder Tales, Donald MacKenzie.)  The idea of Hekate (often considered a crone goddess in more recent stores, although, IIRC, She was not thought to be a crone by the ancient Greeks) carrying a torch during the winter and handing it off to Brighid in the spring echos this theme. 

I agree with this - when I've heard this (a link between Brigit & Hekate), it has always included a view of Hekate-as-crone, and the link seems to be rooted in a confused conflation with the Cailleach.
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 14, 2011, 07:40:23 pm »

Also, my first thought when I read your post is that this story sounds a lot like the Scottish myths about The Cailleach and Brighid.  Basically, The Cailleach (sometimes called Beira) is the winter hag who imprisons Bride during the winter.  Spring can't come until Bride is rescued. 

This is what I thought of as well.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
SunflowerP
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 14, 2011, 10:49:51 pm »

What everyone else said.  I'm especially annoyed-amused by the handwaviness of the "both worshipped in Britain" part - I s'pose, if one doesn't distinguish between Hellenic Hekate and Roman Hecate, and if one either elides/is ignorant of cultural geography in the Isles or doesn't distinguish between Brigid and her cognate-sisters (Brigantia, Ffraid, etc), it sort of works.  (I think I'd be a little less annoyed if the site had said, "worshipped in the British Isles" rather than "worshipped in Britain" - as I'm sure you're well aware since you live there, but it appears the site author isn't, the two are not synonymous.  That raises the likelihood of the site's material coming from a place of ignorance - either not knowing about the cultural geography at all, or not knowing why it'd matter - rather than from the position of considering cognate names to refer to the same deity, which isn't necessarily unscholarly.)

On the matter of why a follower of Hecate with no particular interest otherwise in Celtic deities might be called to the Cill, I favor a purely modern perspective:  because neoPaganism doesn't require restricting oneself to a single cultural pantheon (and neither, apparently and by SPG, do the deities).  It doesn't matter if there's ancient precedent; the point is that it can happen now, and does - there are, I think, several of us in the Cill who also work with and/or honor Hekate/Hecate in some way.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #11: April 15, 2011, 11:16:59 am »

On the matter of why a follower of Hecate with no particular interest otherwise in Celtic deities might be called to the Cill, I favor a purely modern perspective:  because neoPaganism doesn't require restricting oneself to a single cultural pantheon (and neither, apparently and by SPG, do the deities).  It doesn't matter if there's ancient precedent; the point is that it can happen now, and does - there are, I think, several of us in the Cill who also work with and/or honor Hekate/Hecate in some way.

This.
And maybe it's a question of balance sometimes?

I was focused on the Dark Goddess thing a long time. Studied Hekate and made offerings twice a month.

Then Kuan Yin silently made her way onto my radar.
(Not a goddess per se - depends on who's asked - but definitely not a dark lady.)

You never know. *shrugs*

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: April 17, 2011, 03:27:11 pm »

Then Kuan Yin silently made her way onto my radar.
(Not a goddess per se - depends on who's asked - but definitely not a dark lady.)

You never know. *shrugs*

Funnily enough Kuan Yin appears to be making a silent entrance on my life of late judging from the two carvings currently sitting on my desk

and I would describe my honouring of both Hekate and Brigid as a question of balance I find if I stick to one or the other I feel off centre and overwhelmed by the one deity or the other. Strange really anyone else get this?

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 02, 2011, 05:00:38 pm »

there are, I think, several of us in the Cill who also work with and/or honor Hekate/Hecate in some way.

Yep - I'm one of them.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 03, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »

What everyone else said.  I'm especially annoyed-amused by the handwaviness of the "both worshipped in Britain" part - I s'pose, if one doesn't distinguish between Hellenic Hekate and Roman Hecate, and if one either elides/is ignorant of cultural geography in the Isles or doesn't distinguish between Brigid and her cognate-sisters (Brigantia, Ffraid, etc), it sort of works.

Honestly, I blame the modern educational system for this. We all get taught that the Roman and Greek gods are essentially the same, and the Romans carried that Paganism all the way up into England before Christianity miraculously became the dominant religion in the world. Because, well, no one has time to get into specifics. [/sarcasm]

On a related topic, in Ireland there's the Hag of Beara, which is sometimes given the title Cailleach. This Goddess doesn't appear to be well-known outside of southwest Ireland (which is where I met her) but that may be another reason why we get people bodging together this connection. I've run across people in the past who think Brigit and Hekate must be related because of the triple goddess thing... *facepalm*

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)