The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 02, 2020, 11:02:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 11:02:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do You Consider Yourself a "Witch"?
Yes - 25 (41.7%)
No - 20 (33.3%)
It's Complicated - 7 (11.7%)
Unsure - 5 (8.3%)
Special Option for Wiccans - 3 (5%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Consider Yoursef a "Witch"?  (Read 11542 times)
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm
United States United States

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 17, 2011, 10:45:31 pm »

Hello All,

I have been away from the board for a while, but I noticed a lot of "witch" threads and thought it would be interesting to see how many Cauldronites consider themselves "witches" (Of whatever kind they may be).

Aionia

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 18, 2011, 01:30:16 am »

Hello All,

I have been away from the board for a while, but I noticed a lot of "witch" threads and thought it would be interesting to see how many Cauldronites consider themselves "witches" (Of whatever kind they may be).

Aionia
Well I do practice Witchcraft, and belong to a coven, so those that call us Witches will do no wrong Wink

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #2: April 18, 2011, 05:42:19 am »

Hello All,

Aionia

Nope.  Not a witch.  Many witches I know are lovely people, but it's not a word that describes me.  I don't practice much magic at all anymore, and certainly not specifically anything I'd call witchcraft, nor am I a member of a religion with ties to witchcraft.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 18, 2011, 06:01:15 am »

Hello All,

Aionia

Indeed I am, and very proud of it, too! Grin

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #4: April 18, 2011, 07:33:37 am »

Indeed I am, and very proud of it, too! Grin

Hah!
You took the words out of my mouth. Wink
Witch and proud.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Utusitusi
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 04, 2011, 03:46:02 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu

Blog entries (0)

Utusitusi

Ignore
« Reply #5: April 18, 2011, 07:48:33 am »

Hello All,

Aionia

I consider myself a witch, though I don't particularly use the magickal system of my religion.

Daralyn_Dahiana
Journeyman
Last Login:June 11, 2011, 03:59:44 pm

Religion: Rediscovering my path...

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 18, 2011, 11:20:50 am »

Hello All,

Aionia
Yes I am, though I don't practice my craft as much as I'd like.

the witch formerly known as musinladi
AIONIA
Adept Member
Last Login:May 11, 2011, 02:35:41 pm

Religion: Existence

Blog entries (4)

Ignore
« Reply #7: April 18, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

I personally don't consider myself a witch. I am more philosophically pagan, than practicing.

I believe that there is divinity in all the natural world and that gods of various pantheons truly do exist. Do I know why, or how? Not really. Only that it is. I personally am a follower of Apollo, though I don't think my relationship with Him is very traditional.

He is a teacher and mentor when I need it, sometimes he is my comforting shoulder, but He is always present in my life. My offerings to him come in many different forms, coffee, or tea, ocassionally a small bit of something sweet (he doesn't normally seem to have a sweet tooth), or a piece of something yummy I may have. But there is rarely ritual and few prayers; organized worship just doesn't seem to suit our relationship.
rantynaru
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 17, 2011, 04:31:56 pm

Religion: agnostic
TCN ID: rantynaru

Blog entries (0)

Rani Johnson

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 18, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »

Hello All,

Aionia

I am new here and to the craft. I do not know what I am. I may or may not be Wiccan/Pagan. But I consider anyone who does the craft 'correctly' and 'realistically' to be a witch. Male or female. I hope this is not insulting to anyone.

I am a KHK. Ask me about it.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #9: April 18, 2011, 02:48:10 pm »

A-yup. Throughout my entire pagan journey I've considered myself a witch, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

To me, witchcraft isn't a set of spells you learn and then you're done -- it's a way of life. Whether I'm choosing to be in a good mood while I cook so only good energy goes into the food, or if I'm doing a complicated ritual and spellwork for the full moon, it's still witchcraft.

(Right now, however, I'm finding a struggle in fitting my ADF studies in with what I already have. I'm wondering if I'll be able to synthesize witchcraft and neo-druidry. I mean, I'm sure it's possible, I'm just not sure I can do it. Anyway.)

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: April 18, 2011, 03:16:31 pm »

If practising traditional witchcraft makes me a witch then yes I am too. I don't much like the term though.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Kilmeny
Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 07:09:08 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist, Brigidine, TW

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: April 18, 2011, 07:56:48 pm »

If practising traditional witchcraft makes me a witch then yes I am too. I don't much like the term though.

As above, with reservations. The very definition of the word 'witch' is such a can of worms, I'm hesitant to even mention it normally. Not because of any perceived negative meaning by Christians, but simply because it's had so many different generally accepted meanings over the years, and they are each correct within their era and location.

Personally, I try not to get too fixated on Witch or Witchcraft, because in the end it's what I practice that defines me, not what I call myself. I also usually consider folk magic/witchcraft/cunning craft to be separate to religion, while obviously connected to one's world view, I don't consider it an exclusively Pagan concept. Each to their own though, I respect other's use of the word if it has meaning to them.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #12: April 19, 2011, 04:20:46 am »

I heard pretty often folks refraining from the use of the word 'witch' or in German 'Hexe', because of all the things you mentioned and some more.

That is a point I personally don't get.
I mean, if you (general you from now on, just using your post as a jump off point) don't feel like being a witch and don't use it - that is only logical.

But, if you don't use it, because it is a word with tons of meanings and some people might don't like it and others use it in another way, then I don't get it.
From kid on, I felt one thing connected to the word 'Hexe' and that was power.
I love the word and used it for myself the second I started out on my path.

Somewhere I read an online article, where the author pondered about the same thing and came to the conclusion that she doesn't care about what other people interpret into the word, that there are reasons to use it and if it's initial meaning would be 'eater of small children' the word nevertheless would be the only right word to define her path.

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Of course there are a bazillion definitions around, but why should I step back because of that?
I don't feel obliged to attach a user's manual everytime I tell someone, that yes, indeed I am a witch.
If they want to know details, they can ask, if they prefer to live on assumptions, I couldn't care less.

And yes, I am aware that this sounds like a rather rebellious attitude, but that's me. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Gillyflower
Journeyman
Last Login:February 19, 2017, 02:49:46 pm

Religion: Dark Paganism

I do what my M&Ms tell me to.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 19, 2011, 05:19:08 am »

Hello All,

Aionia

Not really. I'm interested in magic and I want to learn and practise it more, but so far, if I try to think of myself as a witch, I feel like a fraud. My path is moving through religious and philosophical territory right now, and I don't consider meditation or bare-bones ritual 'magic'. When I shift into more practical stuff, I may feel more comfortable with the term.

~Know this, and let it somewhat raise your spite,
Through darkness diamonds spread their richest light.~
Kilmeny
Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 07:09:08 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist, Brigidine, TW

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 19, 2011, 05:45:03 am »

I heard pretty often folks refraining from the use of the word 'witch' or in German 'Hexe', because of all the things you mentioned and some more.

That is a point I personally don't get.
I mean, if you (general you from now on, just using your post as a jump off point) don't feel like being a witch and don't use it - that is only logical.

But, if you don't use it, because it is a word with tons of meanings and some people might don't like it and others use it in another way, then I don't get it.

I do agree that it is a very powerful word, and I'm sure that's why a lot of people feel a connection to it.

What I suppose it boils down to though, is what you consider the definition of 'witchcraft' to be, both personally, and if you are any kind of reconstructionist, then historically too. It's a bit like the word Druid, in that many people in neo-Druidry identify with this term personally, but in Celtic Reconstructionism it has a different meaning and is not used so generally. Neither of those definitions are wrong, but a CR is less likely to self identify as a Druid given the definition accepted within the community and the scholarship available.

Personally, coming from a Traditional Witchcraft background, my definition is also historical and is based on the folk lore and scholarship surrounding Witchcraft and Cunning craft, mostly in Britain and Ireland. In that context, and very vaguely because I don't feel up to the task of giving a proper definition, a Witch is someone who practises folk magic, either to the detriment of their neighbours, or as a Cunning person, which is basically a profession (with quite possibly some cursework on the side.) In fact, the Cunning folk would rarely refer to themselves as witches either, given the bad rap the word had for several centuries. By that definition, do I consider myself a Witch? Maybe not, since I do not work folk magic as a profession, nor do I go around overlooking the neighbours butter churns Wink Yet I'm definitely a student of witchcraft, and some extend the definition to those who use folk magic in private practice too.

I don't think anyone owns the word, or that there is any official definition. I just think it depends, like many words, on the context in which it is used. Sure, I could just use the word because I like the sound of it and the powerful emotions attached, but then am I being honest to my own world view?

As the poll says, it's complicated.

note on the above: I hope no one takes offence at my vague definitions, as I'm not trying to apply them to everyone, quite the opposite, and I certainly don't want to get involved in yet another debate on etymology and witch qualifications... although I always seem to end up there, moth to a flame.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.