The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 21, 2021, 12:30:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2021, 12:30:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Poll
Question: Do You Consider Yourself a "Witch"?
Yes - 25 (41.7%)
No - 20 (33.3%)
It's Complicated - 7 (11.7%)
Unsure - 5 (8.3%)
Special Option for Wiccans - 3 (5%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do You Consider Yoursef a "Witch"?  (Read 16619 times)
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #15: April 19, 2011, 05:52:07 am »

note on the above: I hope no one takes offence at my vague definitions, as I'm not trying to apply them to everyone, quite the opposite, and I certainly don't want to get involved in yet another debate on etymology and witch qualifications... although I always seem to end up there, moth to a flame.

Cheesy
Not a problem.
I understand your POV.

For me it's a question of how complicated I want the things to be.
Am I reasponsible for a few hundred years of language developement only because I use a word?
*shrugs* Don't think so, honestly.

Of course it is up to everyone to use it or to leave it. And it is up to my own definition, do I qualify as witch according to them? Heck, sure, otherwise I wouldn't use it. Wink

How the personal definition is, I guess that will fill up another thread - serveral probably.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: April 19, 2011, 07:09:32 am »

As above, with reservations. The very definition of the word 'witch' is such a can of worms, I'm hesitant to even mention it normally. Not because of any perceived negative meaning by Christians, but simply because it's had so many different generally accepted meanings over the years, and they are each correct within their era and location.

Pretty much this  ^^

Not so much the “wicked” baggage though, simply more the endemic assumption around here that witch = wiccan. Ah the delights of  living near Glastonbury.

I swear that if anyone else tells me that I must be wiccan or a “white witch” I shall turn them into a toad for use in the toad bone rite! - If only Harry Potter was real....

TBH most tw witches keep fairly quiet about it so mostly I'm well under the radar. Personally I don't use the W word unless it is with a knowledgeable group or I don't really care what the person I 'm talking to thinks.

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
Kilmeny
Apprentice
Last Login:February 19, 2015, 07:09:08 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Gaelic Polytheist, Brigidine, TW

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: April 19, 2011, 07:47:00 am »

TBH most tw witches keep fairly quiet about it so mostly I'm well under the radar. Personally I don't use the W word unless it is with a knowledgeable group or I don't really care what the person I 'm talking to thinks.

Likewise. In fact I responded to this thread mostly because you did. I don't mind using the 'W' word among other TWs, because I find our definitions are more closely aligned, if still varying.

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #18: April 19, 2011, 07:57:38 am »

Not so much the “wicked” baggage though, simply more the endemic assumption around here that witch = wiccan.

Ah see, this is an assumption that's not happening with 'Hexe'.
(At least not outside the 'Scene'.)

It can happen that the 'oh but you're a white witch' thing comes up.
Which I use to answer with a dark and gloomy: No of course not.  Grin

But to be honest, this happened less often than being asked, if I was Jewish on sight of my pentagramm pendant.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #19: April 19, 2011, 10:08:16 am »

Hello All,

I have been away from the board for a while, but I noticed a lot of "witch" threads and thought it would be interesting to see how many Cauldronites consider themselves "witches" (Of whatever kind they may be).

Aionia

It's complicated!

I practice with an eclectic Wiccan coven, and we do some magic. On my own, I practice magic. I work with my deities (primarily Brighid) with aspects of transformation (getting over depression, primarily). To me, a witch is a user of magic and magic is the willful act of transformation on the physical or spiritual planes. While I've started using the label eclectic Wiccan for some of my practices, I still like to say "Sometimes I do a little witchcraft" instead of "I am a witch."

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: April 19, 2011, 11:44:47 am »

I personally don't consider myself a witch. I am more philosophically pagan, than practicing.

I'm a nature-centered pagan both in philosophy and practice, though there isn't much in the way of practice that my religion requires--and none of that practice involves spells, to which I have a science-based allergy. (Rituals, however, are a different story.)

So that's a "no" on the self-proclaimed witch question.

Emberlee
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 26, 2011, 12:56:48 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Pagan/Seeker?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: April 19, 2011, 01:24:49 pm »

Do I call myself a witch? Nope. Could I be considered one? Maybe. Depends on how you define "Witch"... and I bet a lot of people have a slightly (if not completely) different take on what makes themself (or another person) one.
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #22: April 19, 2011, 03:01:41 pm »

Not so much the “wicked” baggage though, simply more the endemic assumption around here that witch = wiccan.

Actual conversation I've had:

Random person: So, wait, what are you?
Me: I'm a witch.
Random person: OHHHH,  a Wiccan!
Me: No. A witch.
Random person: A Wiccan?
Me: Wicca's a religion. I'm not Wiccan. I practice witchcraft. I'm a witch.
Random Person: You're a Wiccan!
Me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *destroys a nearby metropolis*

I still use it, though, and if that sort of conversation starts up these days where someone says "So you're a Wiccan?" I just say "Nope." and ignore them for the rest of my life.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #23: April 19, 2011, 03:12:05 pm »

Proves the fact: folks does not listen.  Cheesy

I know I told that gem somewhen on the boards, but I can't resist.
This happend to a friend's friend.

She drove in the subway. Dressed in black, palmsized pentagram-pendent.
Goth-style.

Older folks looks at her.

"Are you a satanist? You folk does sacrifice children, no?"

She:
"No, I specialized in old folks, they don't run off so fast anymore."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #24: April 19, 2011, 03:35:54 pm »

Cheesy

That's awesome.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Vale
Master Member
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 02:45:49 pm

Cymru am byth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: April 19, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »

She:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Tempted to break cover just so I can use this! Grin

I'm sure I must have a large silver pentagram somewhere

Roedd y cwbl yn freuddwyd gwrach wrth ei hewyllys

Pagan Wanderings
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #26: April 19, 2011, 05:34:36 pm »

Random person: So, wait, what are you?
Me: I'm a witch.
Random person: OHHHH,  a Wiccan!
Me: No. A witch.
Random person: A Wiccan?
Me: Wicca's a religion. I'm not Wiccan. I practice witchcraft. I'm a witch.
Random Person: You're a Wiccan!
Me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU *destroys a nearby metropolis*

MOM?!

But seriously, yeah, that happens to my family a lot. My mother tends to just smile a lot, whereas I get all huffy and lecture-y because I'm... dumber, I guess.  Grin My sister doesn't even bother anymore, she just gives them the stink eye and then walks off.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 20, 2011, 03:33:16 am »

Maybe. I feel more like a witch-to-be, because I've rarely done any sort of spellwork, although I /have/. My problem is that I don't really want to do energy work, because it's something I can't see and often don't feel. I am much better with things I can see and can feel, which is why magical systems like hoodoo appeal to me. So, when I am able to get my hands on supplies, I'll start working with that system and see where it goes.

I've more or less have always been interested in becoming a witch of folk magic because for me it feels more practical, and that appeals to my Taurean sensibilities. Smiley But have I ever considered myself a witch? Not really, because I was never really consistently (beyond a spell or two) doing anything witch-related, despite my interest in it.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
Shekina
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 06:55:31 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 20, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »

Hello All,

I have been away from the board for a while, but I noticed a lot of "witch" threads and thought it would be interesting to see how many Cauldronites consider themselves "witches" (Of whatever kind they may be).

Aionia

I picked 'unsure', because I'm new to this. Tongue I'm just figuring out where I fit on the pagan spectrum. I wouldn't consider myself a witch right now, probably, but witchcraft is something I'm keenly looking into.

Like joy was something you could touch
I wrap it around me
Like a blanket
It's just you, me and the moon
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 20, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »

I picked 'unsure', because I'm new to this. Tongue I'm just figuring out where I fit on the pagan spectrum. I wouldn't consider myself a witch right now, probably, but witchcraft is something I'm keenly looking into.

Same here.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.