The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 15, 2020, 02:58:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 02:58:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What rule would you change?  (Read 11231 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: June 17, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »

Not as scary as people passing their religious convictions into law. 'Leaving your religion at the door' doesn't mean not having personal beliefs, it means not being able to inflict your beliefs on everyone else . That's what politics are about - forming the laws of a country and a country contains a lot of people who may have different beliefs. The alternative is a Theocracy where religious beliefs are enforced as laws.

Sorry, I have to go with the complete seperation of church and state.

cheers,
Anaise

I believe in separation - I just think that we need to acknowledge that people's religious views don't stop at the door.  Societies WILL have part of their system based on religious views.  (luckily, pretty much everyone agrees about not hurting the guy next door).  There is no *easy* answer.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

NyteShaed
Journeyman
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 10:55:38 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 17, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »

You realize that EITHER society would collapse OR that remaining ten percent would become *breeders*, right?

I rather expect that 10% to become breeders, that's why I went with such a huge percentage sterilized.  The remaining fertile people are likely to breed like rabbits and if only ten percent of the people are doing so we can actually survive without destroying our environment for a few more generations.
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: June 17, 2011, 03:43:27 pm »

I rather expect that 10% to become breeders, that's why I went with such a huge percentage sterilized.  The remaining fertile people are likely to breed like rabbits and if only ten percent of the people are doing so we can actually survive without destroying our environment for a few more generations.

The amount of crazy in that statement really makes my head hurt.

Are you completely unaware that we are currently at LESS than replacement rate in most of the world?  And that your "solution" is more likely to make a mess than fix ... anything?

Gelfling
Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2012, 12:23:19 pm

Religion: in transition

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: June 17, 2011, 03:52:55 pm »

I rather expect that 10% to become breeders, that's why I went with such a huge percentage sterilized. 

Whether they want to or not.  No thanks, I prefer my dystopias to be fictional. 
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 17, 2011, 04:20:08 pm »

...that's one of the most ridiculous irrational things I've ever heard. Where's the box I tick to vote you not becoming world ruler?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
anaise
Apprentice
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 04:35:53 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: June 17, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »

Ahh, no. Even 10% could not survive given the rate(s)  of reproduction AND (very important 'and') the world as it *functions* now. There simply would not be enough people who could perform the functions ( like agriculture , power-production, manufacture) that people have come to rely on.

And why would the remaining ones  be 'likely to breed like rabbits'? Why would someone who would only have 1 child now decide to have 10 in an impoverished environment?  Of the problems assaulting he environment, over-population is the least of the planets worries - it's what those who make up the population *do* and *want*.

Never a big fan of either Mao or the idea of living in a post-apocalyptic enviroment myself Undecided

Anaise

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: June 17, 2011, 04:39:03 pm »

You're ruler of the world for ONE decision.  What would you outlaw/make mandatory?  Why?  What do you think would come of it?

Personally, I'd make "scientific creationism" illegal to teach.  It doesn't work, it's not science, and it doesn't make any damn sense when you actually get into it.  (Drowning fish anyone)?  All it does is confuse the hell out of kids that don't know how to assess sources.

As far as what it would change - I don't know.  Hopefully there would be at least a slightly better education for people and less confusion - and less cherry-picking of which scientific theories apply when.

It needs tweaking, but people would have to live (or die) by the beliefs they support.  

Example, give money to PETA and you can not have any medical procedures that were animal tested.  Oh, and animal testing would be optional, so PETA folks could volunteer to be initial test subjects.

Example, if you give money to fight abortion with no exceptions, you can't have an abortion.  

Example, if you support human cause global warming, you are limited in how much carbon / energy you can use. Sorry, no jet setting to Bali for global warming conferences unless you want to forgo all electricity and gas for 6 months.

Side effect I wouldn't want though is people in an industry who get a subsidy would not lose their subsidy While they fight to end such subsidies for everybody (including ending theirs at the Same time).  
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: June 17, 2011, 04:47:55 pm »

Side effect I wouldn't want though is people in an industry who get a subsidy would not lose their subsidy While they fight to end such subsidies for everybody (including ending theirs at the Same time).  

This I don't get.  If you don't want a subsidy, you shouldn't get one.  Expecially if you are trying to make everyone lose their subsidies.  Makes perfect sense.  UNless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying here, which is possible.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: June 17, 2011, 04:50:07 pm »

This I don't get.  If you don't want a subsidy, you shouldn't get one.  Expecially if you are trying to make everyone lose their subsidies.  Makes perfect sense.  UNless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying here, which is possible.

I think he's saying you shouldn't lose the subsidy *while fighting* because that would completely tilt the playing field.

If everyone else pays one dollar for a widget, and you're trying to end widget subsidies so they cost two dollars, you don't want YOUR widgets to suddenly be $2 when everyone else's is $1!  Or you're just screwed.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: June 17, 2011, 04:50:48 pm »

It needs tweaking, but people would have to live (or die) by the beliefs they support.  

Example, give money to PETA and you can not have any medical procedures that were animal tested.  Oh, and animal testing would be optional, so PETA folks could volunteer to be initial test subjects.

Example, if you give money to fight abortion with no exceptions, you can't have an abortion.  

Example, if you support human cause global warming, you are limited in how much carbon / energy you can use. Sorry, no jet setting to Bali for global warming conferences unless you want to forgo all electricity and gas for 6 months.

I do like that option.  It would certainly make hypocrisy ... interesting. Cheesy

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: June 17, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »

I think he's saying you shouldn't lose the subsidy *while fighting* because that would completely tilt the playing field.

If everyone else pays one dollar for a widget, and you're trying to end widget subsidies so they cost two dollars, you don't want YOUR widgets to suddenly be $2 when everyone else's is $1!  Or you're just screwed.

Thank you.

Artur
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 17, 2011, 05:23:05 pm

Religion: None. Undefined, Skeptical Theist.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: June 17, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »

You're ruler of the world for ONE decision.  What would you outlaw/make mandatory?  Why?  What do you think would come of it?

Setting aside the problem of enforcement, my one law-

Each person MUST be treated in the exact fashion that they treat others.  Are you kind, polite, and tolerant of others?  You must be treated in this fashion.  Are you obnoxious, rude, or a smartass?  You must be treated the same way by all who deal with you.

Just my variation of what many call the Golden Rule, but I think it would improve things a bit.

Gelfling
Apprentice
Last Login:November 04, 2012, 12:23:19 pm

Religion: in transition

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: June 17, 2011, 05:54:50 pm »

Truly universal health care.  No one should have to worry about bankruptcy if something huge happens, nor have to decide between groceries and a mammogram or something. 

I wonder if there'd be more art in the world-- how many artists are good enough to support themselves with their art, but have to work for the benefits?  Small businesses could afford additional employees sooner, and more people could afford to work for themselves. 

If I weren't just a human ruler, but an omnipotent deity for as long as it takes to make my decision, I think I'd raise empathy levels.  Not everyone by a set amount (I don't hate empaths  Wink ), but bring the lowest X% up in line with the folks at X+1%.  Maybe the lowest 30% to the same levels as the current 31st percentile?  Might have to go higher to get the change I want, but without omniscience I'd be afraid of unintended consequences.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: June 17, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »

That's true.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Lokabrenna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 03, 2012, 09:14:37 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Goddess-oriented Pagan with Vanic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: June 20, 2011, 01:57:12 pm »

I'm thought about saying that rapists should face mandatory castration as a punishment, but women can rape people too, so I don't know what I'd do with them, and, well, I guess they still have some rights, even if they are scumbags.

I do think religion and politics should be completely separate, but, well, it would be a mess here since we have a Catholic school board that receives public funding (long story). I suppose we could convert them all to public schools, but there would be a lot of resistance to deal with in the aftermath.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.