The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
July 15, 2020, 03:15:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 15, 2020, 03:15:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: here is a pantheist test...  (Read 12653 times)
blue
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 15, 2011, 01:09:01 pm
United States United States

Religion: pantheist

*slightly otherworldly*

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: April 21, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »

http://www.selectsmart.com/plus/select.php?url=pantheism

while there is a definition of dualistic pantheism (that there are two types of substance; material and spiritual), i don't agree there is such a thing (everything is of one substance).

(100%) 1: Naturalistic pantheist
(83%) 2: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other 
(83%) 3: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist         
(76%) 4: Deist or rationalistic panentheist           
(60%) 5: Cynic or Objectivitst           
(60%) 6: Orthodox monotheist 

"if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"-albert einstein

"not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." -albert einstein

'somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.'-carl sagan

"blessed are the smile makers"-unknown

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #1: April 21, 2011, 09:17:46 pm »

(100%) 1: Deist or rationalistic panentheist    
   (95%) 2: Naturalistic pantheist    
   (90%) 3: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other    
   (88%) 4: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist    
   (80%) 5: Orthodox monotheist    
   (66%) 6: Cynic or Objectivitst

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: April 21, 2011, 09:25:10 pm »

(100%) 1: Deist or rationalistic panentheist    
(100%) 2: Orthodox monotheist     
(100%) 3: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist    
(96%) 4: Cynic or Objectivitst   
(88%) 5: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other   
(84%) 6: Naturalistic pantheist

Granted the only thing about pantheism is a rather simplistic "everything has a life force" (I know that there is probably much, much more to it.  Hence why I said "simplistic) but what does cynicism or Objectivism have to do with it.  And I find it more than insulting to be listed as an orthodox monotheist despite having beliefs to the contrary.  Then again, what should I expect from a rather simplistic test like this?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #3: April 21, 2011, 09:28:43 pm »

I find it more than insulting to be listed as an orthodox monotheist despite having beliefs to the contrary.

Are you insulted by the apparent ignorance of your actual belief system, or by the idea that they may share fundamental concepts in common (or something else that I'm missing all together)?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:July 11, 2020, 09:37:09 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: April 21, 2011, 09:37:33 pm »

(85%) 2: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist
(74%) 3: Deist or rationalistic panentheist
(73%) 4: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other
(67%) 5: Cynic or Objectivitst
(56%) 6: Orthodox monotheist

I have no idea, even when I review my answers carefully, why "panentheist" came out higher than "pagan"; I suspect the quiz-constructor had some underlying assumptions about things that differ from my own conceptions.  Other than that, the only thing surprising is that the lowest ones still had such high percentages (I'm guessing that's a side effect/bug in the quiz structure, though; it looks like nothing can come out very low percentage-wise).

As is usual for these sorts of quizzes, several of the questions didn't really cover the actual range of options all that well (I can, f'ex, and do, consider nature-observation activities like stargazing to be highly relevant to and not at all separate from my religion/spirituality without having any desire to engage in them in a specifically religious-community context), but that's a quibble; it's impossible for a brief quiz to cover all possible options.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: April 21, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »

Are you insulted by the apparent ignorance of your actual belief system, or by the idea that they may share fundamental concepts in common (or something else that I'm missing all together)?

Apparent ignorance of my actual belief system.  And I also think that lumping "Dualists pantheists, 'New Age,' Pagan, or other" together seems as though the makers of this quiz think that all pagans must have a similar belief system.

Granted the only thing about pantheism is a rather simplistic "everything has a life force" (I know that there is probably much, much more to it.  Hence why I said "simplistic)

And I may be confusing pantheism with animism here.  So I would like to reword that as "a divine force is in everything" rather than simply "everything has a life force."

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
FierFlye
Adept Member
Last Login:December 14, 2013, 06:14:57 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: FierFlye

Photo Credit: http://roothieb.blogspot.com/

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: April 21, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »

(87%) 2: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist       
   (83%) 3: Deist or rationalistic panentheist       
   (83%) 4: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other   
   (74%) 5: Orthodox monotheist      
   (64%) 6: Cynic or Objectivitst

I guess I pass the test.  Tongue

Spiritual Blog: Fier's Flame
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: April 21, 2011, 10:00:02 pm »

As is usual for these sorts of quizzes, several of the questions didn't really cover the actual range of options all that well (I can, f'ex, and do, consider nature-observation activities like stargazing to be highly relevant to and not at all separate from my religion/spirituality without having any desire to engage in them in a specifically religious-community context), but that's a quibble; it's impossible for a brief quiz to cover all possible options.

Honestly, I don't think any of the questions have a satisfying-to-me answer, and the fact that it thinks that I'm an atheist is probably indicative of the resulting issues. Wink

(100%) 1: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist
   (98%) 2: Naturalistic pantheist
   (88%) 3: Deist or rationalistic panentheist   
   (83%) 4: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other 
   (80%) 5: Orthodox monotheist
   (76%) 6: Cynic or Objectivitst

Nehet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 12:07:16 am

Religion: Kemetic Polytheist
TCN ID: Nehet

Gravatar

Now 20% Cooler

Blog entries (11)

burning_tree

Ignore
« Reply #8: April 21, 2011, 10:01:02 pm »

(97%) 2: Dualist pantheist, "New Age", pagan, or other   

(92%) 3: Deist or rationalistic panentheist 

(87%) 4: Orthodox monotheist      

(81%) 5: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist   

(65%) 6: Cynic or Objectivitst   

I'm very far from being 4 or 5, but whatever.   Tongue
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: April 21, 2011, 10:32:47 pm »

Honestly, I don't think any of the questions have a satisfying-to-me answer, and the fact that it thinks that I'm an atheist is probably indicative of the resulting issues. Wink

(100%) 1: Secular (atheist or agnostic) humanist
Well, maybe it just thinks you're an agnostic.  OTOH, I don't at all disagree with you; indeed, the elision of atheism and agnosticism,  (not unlike the elision of dualist pantheist, New Age, and pagan) is itself indicative.

I rarely get answer-choices that are truly satisfying to me - I'm content if I don't have to stop and hem and haw before deciding which one is "close enough for government work".

I'm never completely sure, with these quizzes, how much of it is a result of the brevity and oversimplification of the short multiple-choice form, and how much is actual ignorance on the part of the constructor, but I've yet to see one that wasn't clearly (mis)informed by both factors.  In this instance, I'd guess that the constructor is an otherwise-nontheistic pantheist with a lot of unexamined assumptions deriving from cultural monotheism; it may be noteworthy that paganism even got a mention.

Sunflower

My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:January 20, 2020, 08:24:45 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: April 21, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »

Well, maybe it just thinks you're an agnostic.  OTOH, I don't at all disagree with you; indeed, the elision of atheism and agnosticism,  (not unlike the elision of dualist pantheist, New Age, and pagan) is itself indicative.

There didn't seem to be any questions about agnosticism there, which means that I suspect this is one of the people who thinks "agnostic" means "atheist, but not a jerk about it".

It didn't appear to have an option for a theological structure containing non-transcendent gods.

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: April 21, 2011, 11:57:53 pm »

There didn't seem to be any questions about agnosticism there, which means that I suspect this is one of the people who thinks "agnostic" means "atheist, but not a jerk about it".
Or one of those people who thinks "agnosticism" is a synonym for "weak atheism".

It didn't appear to have an option for a theological structure containing non-transcendent gods.
<sigh> In other news, water is wet.

That's one of the places where "unexamined assumptions deriving from cultural monotheism" rear their tiresome heads ( I was going to edit that to make it singular, but reconsidered; the Hydra image it gives me seems altogether suitable for referring to unexamined cultural assumptions).  It never ceases to baffle me when people reject (mono)theism, while blithely and unquestioningly retaining (mono)theism's definitions - the only reasons I can see for doing so are a) intellectual laziness, b) ignorance (inherently wilful, in anyone who's chosen to spout about it), and/or because it makes it easier to "prove" one's point... none of which are conscionable motivations for a purported rationalist.  The lack of intellectual integrity is stunning.

Sunflower

SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: April 22, 2011, 12:07:45 am »

while there is a definition of dualistic pantheism (that there are two types of substance; material and spiritual), i don't agree there is such a thing (everything is of one substance).
After looking into the use of the word "substance" in this context, I'm inclined to go further and say that it's sheer metaphysical nonsense.  I call Princess Bride on that one (they keep on using that word.  I do not think it means what they think it means).

Marc, I'm glad you're already in this thread; is there a definition of "substance" as a philosophical term of art that might make this somewhat less nonsensical?

Sunflower

BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #13: April 22, 2011, 12:47:36 am »

(Not just to Darkhawk) What questions would you ask in this sort of quiz, what answers would you offer and what would you see them as indicators of? I ask because whenever one of these tests comes up here, we all tend to chime in with similar comments about the questions, the available answers, or the connection between the answers and various dimensions of belief systems. I'm interested to see what TC's equivalent quiz would be. If there's enough interest in the topic here, I'll start a thread asking for questions and knock one up just for shits and giggles Smiley

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #14: April 22, 2011, 12:54:04 am »

It's not necessarily metaphysical nonsense to posit more than one substance, per se. The trouble comes in when you try and explain how different substances could interact with each other. Most (all?) philosophy accepts that for two things to interact in any way  they need to be fundamentally of the same substance. Many thinkers have posited that there is both physical and spiritual substance, but I am not aware of a persuasive philosophy that explains how they could interact.

So the shoprt version is "No, not that I'm aware of".

BGMarc at the Pub

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)